PDA

View Full Version : I Just Entered The PAGE International Screenwriting Awards.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
04-14-2008, 04:27 AM
Wow.

04-14-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm seriously shitting myself about this. I know nobody else cares, but to me, this is a big deal. This is me taking what I do seriously, for the first time ever.

Supreme Convoy
04-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Good luck man!

c.rob
04-14-2008, 04:02 PM
what is it?

Gunter
04-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Good luck.

Kurt Russell Crowe
04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
I got through one round of page in 06. I was proud considering I wrote like 60 pages of it in one night and barely polished it at all, let alone did another draft. good luck, broham.

Icaruss
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Well... What is it?

Kurt Russell Crowe
04-14-2008, 04:17 PM
an international screenwriting competition. If you win you get a good chunk of change, either 5 or 10k from what I remember, but more than that, if you win or just make the finals of any of the major screenwriting comps, you have a chance at breaking into screenwriting.

Icaruss
04-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Ohhh. That's fantastic, man. Congrats.

04-14-2008, 04:23 PM
I got through one round of page in 06. I was proud considering I wrote like 60 pages of it in one night and barely polished it at all, let alone did another draft. good luck, broham.

I would be absolutely thrilled to get through to the second round. I love what I've written, and would love it if others do, too.

Jonathan Callan
04-14-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm seriously shitting myself about this. I know nobody else cares, but to me, this is a big deal. This is me taking what I do seriously, for the first time ever.

Yeah, I entered this contest a few weeks ago. What category are you in?

PS. Good for you. This shit is expensive which is why no one does it but it is a great way to get good feedback and make some headway in your career.

Jonathan Callan
04-14-2008, 04:29 PM
an international screenwriting competition. If you win you get a good chunk of change, either 5 or 10k from what I remember, but more than that, if you win or just make the finals of any of the major screenwriting comps, you have a chance at breaking into screenwriting.

Sort of... it's less so than you think with breaking in. You'd hope it would be sort of immediate, but sometimes it's not. My horror screenplay won a mid-level competition and I had a few calls trickle in, mostly sharks trying to buy the script without any real payment.

nick maynard
04-14-2008, 04:32 PM
cool dude.

04-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I entered this contest a few weeks ago. What category are you in?

PS. Good for you. This shit is expensive which is why no one does it but it is a great way to get good feedback and make some headway in your career.

I entered the comedy catogory. My script is called "Life Of The Party." I also concidered entering it for the drama section, but it's definitely more of a comedy. I fnd alot of my comedies end sadly. I'm sure that says something about me.

Jonathan Callan
04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
I entered the comedy catogory. My script is called "Life Of The Party." I also concidered entering it for the drama section, but it's definitely more of a comedy. I fnd alot of my comedies end sadly. I'm sure that says something about me.

I have a very similar problem in that my horror film is easily more of an action/horror film. Heavy emphasis on the action. Like Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness. So on the one hand, the category subdivisions are REALLY nice. On the other hand, I feel like they might screw us.

And it's good you didn't go up against me. I would kill you five times before you hit the ground.

By the way, some advice - don't take this too seriously. I know it's a lot of money, but chances are nothing comes of it. 90% of contests you enter you're not even likely to make it to a finals round in. It's great to put yourself out there and try but remember not to treat it like a rejection. You have no idea what criteria these people are judging your script by. That's why small contests are great. Enter a few, win a couple, and it'll really boost your confidence for this stuff. I recommend the quarterly WriteSafe contest because it's panel has some great industry people.

04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
I have a very similar problem in that my horror film is easily more of an action/horror film. Heavy emphasis on the action. Like Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness. So on the one hand, the category subdivisions are REALLY nice. On the other hand, I feel like they might screw us.

And it's good you didn't go up against me. I would kill you five times before you hit the ground.

By the way, some advice - don't take this too seriously. I know it's a lot of money, but chances are nothing comes of it. 90% of contests you enter you're not even likely to make it to a finals round in. It's great to put yourself out there and try but remember not to treat it like a rejection. You have no idea what criteria these people are judging your script by. That's why small contests are great. Enter a few, win a couple, and it'll really boost your confidence for this stuff. I recommend the quarterly WriteSafe contest because it's panel has some great industry people.

I'm not taking it too seriously. I've already decided, if I don't win, I'm filming the motherfucker myself. I'l sell everything I own, buy the equipment, learn how to use it, cast my friends, and make the fucking thing myself.

bachman
04-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Wait, you have to pay to enter it?

Jonathan Callan
04-14-2008, 05:22 PM

You have to pay to enter every screen-writing contest. Usually around 40-60 bucks. This one was sixty, given an April entry.

04-14-2008, 05:23 PM

$59. just over 30.

bachman
04-14-2008, 05:51 PM
$59. just over 30.

Oh, that's not bad. When someone said it's really expensive I thought it would be more.

c.rob
04-14-2008, 05:56 PM
good luck with all that. keep the benbo informed.

Nick Spencer
04-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Oh, that's not bad. When someone said it's really expensive I thought it would be more.

You can also pay a little extra and get a detailed critique from a judge. Good deal overall and it HAS worked out for some writers.

Pat Shatner
04-14-2008, 06:10 PM
$59. just over 30.

Totally off topic, but that's really depressing. I'm going to lose about half of every dollar I bring to Ireland and England this summer.

Good luck in the contest to our two entrants, though. All the best.

04-16-2008, 08:34 AM
For anybody interested in entering this, the deadline's been extended to April 30th.

Rod Nunley
04-16-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm not taking it too seriously. I've already decided, if I don't win, I'm filming the motherfucker myself. I'l sell everything I own, buy the equipment, learn how to use it, cast my friends, and make the fucking thing myself.

Way to not take it too seriously man. ;)

Good luck.

04-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Way to not take it too seriously man. ;)

Good luck.

I meant this particular contest. This script, I take very fucking seriously indeed.

Rosemary's Baby
04-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Didn't know about this until right now. I think I'll enter. Sixty bucks is a lot, but oh well. It's a shame I can't afford feedback. Although, if he/she would just tell me that the inciting incident isn't on page three or whatever and things of that nature, it would just piss me off.

copypastepuke
04-16-2008, 09:03 AM
thats a good attitude to have. fuck it, if no one ponies up and buys it, make it yourself.

RoneG
08-07-2008, 05:17 PM
I entered too. I found out I made the semis. I'm kinda psyched

Jonathan Callan
08-07-2008, 09:20 PM
I entered too. I found out I made the semis. I'm kinda psyched

You made the semis dude? I apparently got knocked out in the tie-breaker for the quarter-finals round. That's fantastic for you. Which script is yours?

RoneG
08-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Yeah they told me in the e-mail there was a tiebreaker. I entered in the TV Pilot category. It's called "Three Kings of McIntyre." Thanks man.

DaGetHighKnight
08-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Did you make it in Technofear? Why i need to know this I dont know..

Xorn
08-08-2008, 12:20 PM
except maybe :)?

WillieLee
08-08-2008, 12:21 PM

If he made it in I'm sure there would have been a thread.

schizorabbit
08-08-2008, 12:31 PM
If he made it in I'm sure there would have been a thread.

Well, he did write the following:

Maybe he's busy filming at this very moment a la Kevin Smith Clerks. That or trying to save up money.

I don't know RFSI too well, but if you want easy money, blowjobs will get ya at least $20.00 a pop.

Jonathan Callan
08-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Well, he did write the following:

Maybe he's busy filming at this very moment a la Kevin Smith Clerks. That or trying to save up money.

I don't know RFSI too well, but if you want easy money, blowjobs will get ya at least $20.00 a pop.

Ric mentioned he didn't make it into the quarter-finals. He was a bit down about it.

Roger
08-08-2008, 12:58 PM
www.inktip.com

might be a good place to put your scripts

Jonathan Callan
08-08-2008, 01:15 PM
www.inktip.com

might be a good place to put your scripts

I'm a fan of the quarterly WriteSafe competition. Not much of an investment, you get a digital copy-protected version of your script put on the web for ten years guaranteed. The competition isn't too bad and it generates a nice tiny bit of heat if your script is a winner.

WillieLee
08-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Give me $40 and I'll give anyone 1st prize.

08-12-2008, 01:49 PM

Didn't make it past the first round.

Going to go to film school next year now.