PDA

View Full Version : Why Does iTunes Keep Losing My Podcasts?

Kensington
04-10-2008, 06:13 PM
In the last few months, a weird thing has been happening with iTunes. Almost every time I sync up my iPod, iTunes tells me that "X" cannot be found, and usually 1-4 podcasts are no longer where they were, requiring me to download them again. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the losses, either. Sometimes it's something I've already listened to, but often it's something I haven't gotten around to, yet. One file which may have synced fine days ago is now no longer available.

When this happens, I know of no remedy other than to download the files again, which can be irritating when it's a large file.

Is this happening to anyone else on the board?

On a side note, this annoying problem did teach me how to refresh my podcast lists for old file without unsubscribing and resubscribing again. The trick is to hold down Shift whilst clicking on the podcast arrow. That causes all available podcasts to populate the file list. I was happy to learn that, and hopefully someone else will benefit from this knowledge also.

Taxman
04-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Did this start when you got Vista? I have the same problem, and it is not the only iTunes issue that popped up with Vista.

Alex K.
04-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Go to Podcasts under Edit/Preferences in the iTunes menu and make sure it's set to keep all episodes

Kensington
04-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Did this start when you got Vista? I have the same problem, and it is not the only iTunes issue that popped up with Vista.Vista?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*deep inhale*

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously, I'm still using XP. The problem seemed to pop up after an iTunes software update, but it has now survived several updates since.

You have the same problem?

Kensington
04-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Go to Podcasts under Edit/Preferences in the iTunes menu and make sure it's set to keep all episodesNo, that's not it. The podcast still shows up on the list, but with the irritating ! sign that shows up when it can't find something.

Taxman
You have the same problem?Yeah.

It asks me to register the thing over and over. I have trouble getting it to put certain playlists in the the order I want, and sometimes it won't sync when I tell it to. It pretends that it has though.

Jim.
I have the same problem, periodically.

Kensington
04-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I traffic in a lot of podcasts; maybe that's why I notice it more often. It happens at least every other day, and I'm surprised they haven't fixed the glitch, yet.

Oh, well, at least I know now that it's not just me.

Kensington
04-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Yeah.

It asks me to register the thing over and over. I have trouble getting it to put certain playlists in the the order I want, and sometimes it won't sync when I tell it to. It pretends that it has though.Now that would make me pull my hair out. As irritating as my problem is, I can at least work around it without too much difficulty.

But, dude...Vista? Seriously?

Alex K.
04-10-2008, 06:37 PM
No, that's not it. The podcast still shows up on the list, but with the irritating ! sign that shows up when it can't find something.

That usually happens when the files are deleted or moved to another directory. Each track in iTunes links back to specific location on your HD, so if it gets moved somewhere else or deleted by accident iTunes can't find it when it goes to play it back or sync it to an ipod.

Kensington
04-10-2008, 06:41 PM
That usually happens when the files are deleted or moved to another directory. Each track in iTunes links back to specific location on your HD, so if it gets moved somewhere else or deleted by accident iTunes can't find it when it goes to play it back or sync it to an ipod.Right, and the problem is that something is moving or deleting the files, maybe, and it's not me. I suspect a glitch in the software. If this ever starts happening to my music files, I'll go out of my mind. There's almost 60 Gs worth of files on that thing.

Taxman
04-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Now that would make me pull my hair out. As irritating as my problem is, I can at least work around it without too much difficulty.

But, dude...Vista? Seriously?I didn't upgrade to Vista, we bought a new computer. Maybe the problems have nothing to do with Vista, but Vista frequetnly seems like an annoyance to me.

Kensington
04-10-2008, 07:16 PM
I didn't upgrade to Vista, we bought a new computer. Maybe the problems have nothing to do with Vista, but Vista frequetnly seems like an annoyance to me.All hyperbole aside, I have yet to hear anything good about it. Not a thing. My only experience with it has been using Word Vista, and I was flabbergasted at how they managed to screw up so many things that had been intuitive about it. Never before had I struggled to figure out how to do something in Word.

Smokinblues
04-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Vista?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*deep inhale*

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously, I'm still using XP. The problem seemed to pop up after an iTunes software update, but it has now survived several updates since.

You have the same problem?

I have the same problem, I've had since around the time vista came up, but on both my old xp machine and my vista machine. I've had it happen to podcasts I've listened to, podcasts I haven't listened to, it's really weird. But for some reason the podcast file goes missing. When it first started happening there was a thread on the apple support forums, but of course there was never any response. Then the problem seemed to go away for months, but the last few weeks seems to have gotten a lot worse again.

The only fix I've found is to delete the errored out episode, then unsubscribe and resubscribe.

Smokinblues
04-10-2008, 07:21 PM
All hyperbole aside, I have yet to hear anything good about it. Not a thing. My only experience with it has been using Word Vista, and I was flabbergasted at how they managed to screw up so many things that had been intuitive about it. Never before had I struggled to figure out how to do something in Word.
Vista's fine. There were a bunch of driver and software compatiblity issues at first. There's a lot of little improvements that I miss when I go back to an xp machine, but nothing really big. Same with the negatives, there are some little things that bother me, but I haven't had any major problems.

Smokinblues
04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Right, and the problem is that something is moving or deleting the files, maybe, and it's not me. I suspect a glitch in the software. If this ever starts happening to my music files, I'll go out of my mind. There's almost 60 Gs worth of files on that thing.
Yeah, this isn't anything you're doing, this is something screwy with the way itunes downloads podcasts and moves them around. I think what's happening is that itunes downloads the podcasts to a temporary location and then moves it to the podcast folder. For whatever reason this process fails from time to time.

Dreaded Anomaly
04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Don't use iTunes? :)

Taxman
04-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah, this isn't anything you're doing, this is something screwy with the way itunes downloads podcasts and moves them around. I think what's happening is that itunes downloads the podcasts to a temporary location and then moves it to the podcast folder. For whatever reason this process fails from time to time.Someday they'll turn a profit and be able to start fixing little glitches like this.

Smokinblues
04-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah.

It asks me to register the thing over and over. I have trouble getting it to put certain playlists in the the order I want, and sometimes it won't sync when I tell it to. It pretends that it has though.
I was having some weird issues like that. For some reason from time to time the ipod would show up with ipod firmware version 6.2233 or something like that. Apparently sometimes the front usb ports on computers dont' put out enough power and that can cause problems. Plugging it in the back instead fixed it.

Smokinblues
04-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Don't use iTunes? :)
If you have an ipod you pretty much have to use itunes.

Kensington
04-10-2008, 07:37 PM
The only fix I've found is to delete the errored out episode, then unsubscribe and resubscribe.
I can save you a little headache on this. It's not necessary to unsubscribe.

After you delete the errored out episode, click on the arrow next to the podcast title so that the podcast list closes up, then hold down the shift key and click on the arrow again. This will cause your episode list to repopulate with all of the podcasts available for downloading. Much easier and more convenient than unsubscribing, especially if you, like me, usually have a lot of podcasts already downloaded.

Dreaded Anomaly
04-10-2008, 07:39 PM
If you have an ipod you pretty much have to use itunes.

That is not, in fact, true.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08/10-alternatives-to-itunes-for-managing-your-ipod/

First result for "alternatives to itunes" on Google.

Kensington
04-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Don't use iTunes? :)I love iTunes! I buy more music from Amazon and eMusic, nowadays, but the podcast management system is pretty terrific (although I'd love to offer some improvements).

J Money
04-10-2008, 07:55 PM
My podcasts show up as an empty playlist on my ipod, I have to go to "genre" to find them. It used to work fine.

Glenn H
04-10-2008, 08:13 PM
OK, 2 things you should be doing when using iTunes to make for a flaw free operation is to go into your prefs, in the advanced section and checkmark "Keep iTunes music folder organized" and checkmark "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library".

The reason for the second is so that all music is nicely handled in 1 folder neatly but also great for when a backup needs to be done. Also remember that you have created a copy of your mp3 or whichever so you can delete the original. THIS IS ONLY IF YOU HAVE "COPY FILES TO ITUNES MUSIC FOLDER" option checkmarked.

One other suggestion I would make is to change your iTunes music folder to another drive (a NAS or network storage is also a good option). I say this because if you have a great number of podcasts and you are only keeping the 1-whatever most recent, each time iTunes deletes you are fragmenting your drive. Now the default location is your system drive and keeping that as clean as possible always helps in performance.

Also there is no special place iTunes holds podcasts info, its all handled in the XML and ITL files.

Vista is not the problem as I run Vista 32 and 64bit with iTunes without issue

Smokinblues
04-10-2008, 08:45 PM
OK, 2 things you should be doing when using iTunes to make for a flaw free operation is to go into your prefs, in the advanced section and checkmark "Keep iTunes music folder organized" and checkmark "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library".

The reason for the second is so that all music is nicely handled in 1 folder neatly but also great for when a backup needs to be done. Also remember that you have created a copy of your mp3 or whichever so you can delete the original. THIS IS ONLY IF YOU HAVE "COPY FILES TO ITUNES MUSIC FOLDER" option checkmarked.

One other suggestion I would make is to change your iTunes music folder to another drive (a NAS or network storage is also a good option). I say this because if you have a great number of podcasts and you are only keeping the 1-whatever most recent, each time iTunes deletes you are fragmenting your drive. Now the default location is your system drive and keeping that as clean as possible always helps in performance.

Also there is no special place iTunes holds podcasts info, its all handled in the XML and ITL files.

Vista is not the problem as I run Vista 32 and 64bit with iTunes without issue
No special place, but there is a downloads folder, and a podcasts folder. While the file is downloading it is in the downloads folder, when it's done itunes moves it to the podcasts folder. Somewhere in the process of moving one to the other itunes deletes the file from time to time. In earlier versions of itunes 7 you could find the temp file in the downloads folder and rename it. Now there is no trace of the file when it goes missing.