PDA

View Full Version : When Brian Bendis won't be Marvel exclusive anymore I want him to write...

JackBauer
04-10-2008, 03:44 AM
Batman

with Alex Maleev providing pretty pictures.

What non Marvel book what you like to see Bendis at?

NickT
04-10-2008, 04:15 AM
The Shadow.

Run-BMC
04-10-2008, 04:17 AM
The Best Adventures Ever of Comic Book Guy by Bongo

Dingo
04-10-2008, 04:17 AM
Mostly Marvel anyway.

Ziolko
04-10-2008, 04:18 AM
Skateman #2 with Neal Adams art. Who better to really capture the gritty language of the streets that occupy the universe of Skateman?

Ashwin Pande
04-10-2008, 04:20 AM
Buckaroo Banzai... because apparently he really, really wants to.

Uther
04-10-2008, 04:22 AM
Anything creator-owned really.

Also, I have a thing for wanting to see superhero writers write straight kitchen sink drama. So, yeah...

Doug
04-10-2008, 04:50 AM
I'd like to see Bendis do a TMNT mini. (I'm not joking.)

Batman would be cool too.

Sam Little
04-10-2008, 04:54 AM
I'm perfectly happy with what Bendis is doing at Marvel and think it would be a shame if he went over to DC. Nothing against the characters but their continuity and crossover stuff makes my head hurt.

I sure wouldn't mind seeing some more crime graphic novels from Bendis though. A full on hardboiled pulp book with Maleev would make me very happy indeed.

Bendis should do something with Sean Phillips too if he ever needs a break from Criminal.

Phillips should never need a break from Criminal though.

Doug
04-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Challengers of the Unknown with Oeming would be amazing.

Jason California
04-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Anything creator-owned really.

Also, I have a thing for wanting to see superhero writers write straight kitchen sink drama. So, yeah...

He is allowed to do that without interfering with his contract as it is.

Uther
04-10-2008, 05:14 AM
He is allowed to do that without interfering with his contract as it is.

...true.

Sorry.

Akira
04-10-2008, 05:40 AM
I'd like to see Bendis do a TMNT mini. (I'm not joking.)

With Oeming. That would kick all sorts of ass.

Kody
04-10-2008, 05:50 AM
I'd like to see him do a straight crime book again, if not that, I'd settle for a relaunch of Gotham Central with someone like Tomm Coker, Alex Maleev or Jason Alexander.

Jason California
04-10-2008, 05:52 AM
...true.

Sorry.

I forgive you.

ZombieSpeedball
04-10-2008, 05:55 AM
I'd like to see him try out the Teen Titans, or maybe Blue Beetle.

Patton
04-10-2008, 06:02 AM
Secret Crisis

Ziolko
04-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Secret Crisis

I'd prefer Infinite Invasion.

Matt C. Linton
04-10-2008, 06:12 AM
It'll sound strange, but Birds of Prey.

LenNWallace
04-10-2008, 06:12 AM
More of his own shit.

Ryudo
04-10-2008, 06:13 AM
Robin.

The Dean
04-10-2008, 06:17 AM
I say the Question, Green Arrow, or the Shadow.

Butler
04-10-2008, 06:25 AM
Batman

...in Detective Comics.

danlomb
04-10-2008, 06:26 AM
Sam and Twitch!

what?

DAVE
04-10-2008, 06:30 AM
I don't ever want to see Bendis write for DC. He's made for Marvel.

andrew french
04-10-2008, 06:46 AM
I'd like to read a Bendis Plastic Man book.

Alexander Hamilton
04-10-2008, 06:55 AM
I don't ever want to see Bendis write for DC. He's made for Marvel.

I don't understand this reasoning. Just because DC hasn't been up to the par Marvel has been setting the last couple of years, doesn't mean the characters there aren't fantastic and couldn't be written by any talented writer. Batman and his family of comics, the new Blue Beetle, Teen Titans, Green Arrow, The Question, Shazam, The Creeper, the Outsiders, and Doom Patrol are just a few books I think he would be good on. There are countless others.

DAVE
04-10-2008, 07:00 AM
I don't understand this reasoning. Just because DC hasn't been up to the par Marvel has been setting the last couple of years, doesn't mean the characters there aren't fantastic and couldn't be written by any talented writer. Batman and his family of comics, the new Blue Beetle, Teen Titans, Green Arrow, The Question, Shazam, The Creeper, the Outsiders, and Doom Patrol are just a few books I think he would be good on. There are countless others.

My reasoning is that I've always found the Marvel characters more human level and relatable and that's one of Bendis's specialties in writing. Even a human character like Batman would seem weird with the type of insecurities that worked so well in Daredevil. I don't want to get in the old DC vs Marvel argument about DC's characters also being relatable, I just happen to relate more with Marvel's characters than DC's, and I'm assuming Bendis feels the same way.

Alexander Hamilton
04-10-2008, 07:03 AM
My reasoning is that I've always found the Marvel characters more human level and relatable and that's one of Bendis's specialties in writing. Even a human character like Batman would seem weird with the type of insecurities that worked so well in Daredevil. I don't want to get in the old DC vs Marvel argument about DC's characters also being relatable, I just happen to relate more with Marvel's characters than DC's, and I'm assuming Bendis feels the same way.

I'm sure you've heard what "they" say about assuming... ;)

DAVE
04-10-2008, 07:05 AM
I'm sure you've heard what "they" say about assuming... ;)

Well it's not really much of an assumption considering how many interviews Bendis has given where he's stated that he doesn't have much interest in writing the DC characters. :)

Ray G.
04-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Supergirl.

But only if he can pretty much start from scratch.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Batman

Dude, then he has to write TWO Batman books, because I'm drawing one. :twisted:

Supajoe
04-10-2008, 07:09 AM
JLA. so people could complain that he Avenger'd the JLA.

DAVE
04-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Supergirl.

Yeah, cuz that character really needs to "start from scratch" a couple more times :)

The Dean
04-10-2008, 07:10 AM

I think there are a lot of examples of characters being written well and written poorly at the "Big Two." A good writer can add value to any character and tell good stories.

Don't forget how bad Daredevil was until Bendis took over... I've got 20 years of crappy back issues after Frank Miller left. The title was floundering all over and no one cared about DD until Kevin Smith did a couple of issues with Joey Q.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Supergirl would be so easy to fix. I could do it in one second.

Hoggie
04-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Definitley Batman with Maleev or EVS. I would buy the shit out of that.

Alexander Hamilton
04-10-2008, 07:12 AM

Yeah I'm quoting this phrase again. Had an afterthought.

Okay, the Batman thing I can understand. He's basically DC's bread and butter. I could see them not wanting to put him through the ringer, but what about the less high profile characters. Blue Beetle, Nightwing, and the Outsiders for example. They could be fucked with to no end.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-10-2008, 07:14 AM

Okay, the Batman thing I can understand. He's basically DC's bread and butter. I could see them not wanting to put him through the ringer, but what about the less high profile characters. Blue Beetle, Nightwing, and the Outsiders for example. They could be fucked with to no end.

You can fuck with all of them. Everyone gets scared when things aren't status quo at the end of an issue. DO IT. Do something weird.

Ray G.
04-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Yeah, cuz that character really needs to "start from scratch" a couple more times :)

Not saying she needs to be erased from continuity and rebooted. Just a new beginning in-story.

Gunter
04-10-2008, 07:17 AM
I want him to write a John Carter, Warlord of Mars book.

With Ethan handling the artwork.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Not saying she needs to be erased from continuity and rebooted. Just a new beginning in-story.

Correct.

DAVE
04-10-2008, 07:18 AM
I think there are a lot of examples of characters being written well and written poorly at the "Big Two." A good writer can add value to any character and tell good stories.

Don't forget how bad Daredevil was until Bendis took over... I've got 20 years crappy back issues after Frank Miller lift. The title was floundering all over and no one cared about DD until Kevin Smith did a couple of issues with Joey Q.
I know what you're saying, but Daredevil as a character didn't really have to be changed in order to make him someone that fit Bendis's style of writing. Sure Bendis could write an awesome Aquaman, but does it really make sense for him to? Bendis just fits at Marvel. It's like the Kuberts, their style jsut seems weird at DC.

Yeah, but you're saying that based on things he's done with Marvel characters (There I go assuming again :) ). Just because Bendis loved Luke Cage while growing up and has made him an "A Lister" now, it doesn't automatically mean that he'd want to do the same thing for Blue Beetle.

Alexander Hamilton
04-10-2008, 07:19 AM
You can fuck with all of them. Everyone gets scared when things aren't status quo at the end of an issue. DO IT. Do something weird.

I totally agree. I'm just trying to look at it from a possible editorial/marketing point of view. I would love if they really did a number on the Bats and Superman (especially Superman). I'm of the opinion that status quo is dull, almost all of the best stories have and protagonist getting shit upon, in my opinion. Otherwise, where's the conflict.

Supreme Convoy
04-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Batman with Bendis and Maleev is a logical choice.

I'd still would love to see his Batman/Daredevil crossover one day.

Alexander Hamilton
04-10-2008, 07:22 AM
Yeah, but you're saying that based on things he's done with Marvel characters (There I go assuming again :) ). Just because Bendis loved Luke Cage while growing up and has made him an "A Lister" now, it doesn't automatically mean that he'd want to do the same thing for Blue Beetle.

I get ya. He may not necessarily be in love with any of the characters I've mention, but it doesn't mean he wouldn't be well suited for them if given the opportunity and he had the desire.

Ray G.
04-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Correct.

I know what I'd do. New villain, new mentor, new setting. All established within the first three issues of the first arc.

PeterSparker
04-10-2008, 07:31 AM

Do tell.

and people have been wanting to see Bendis on a Bat book for years. I'd love it, if his heart is in it, but as said I'd probably rather see him on a Gotham Central relaunch!!!

DAVE
04-10-2008, 07:31 AM

It would take me a day.
IN A DAY.

The Dean
04-10-2008, 07:35 AM
I know what you're saying, but Daredevil as a character didn't really have to be changed in order to make him someone that fit Bendis's style of writing. Sure Bendis could write an awesome Aquaman, but does it really make sense for him to? Bendis just fits at Marvel. It's like the Kuberts, their style jsut seems weird at DC.

I'm still not convinced. I still think a good writer can write well.

I'm sure some people said that a noir writer like Bendis couldn't handle a sci-fi series like Ultimate FF or the Avengers but I think BMB has got the chops to write anything well.

He's written a wide array of characters, plots and genres and I'm convinced that he could write just as well at DC. However, I'm sure whatever he wrote would have the "Bendis style" with dialog, tone, themes, etc...

AND I don't buy the DC and Marvel style arguments anymore. Any differences come from the talent and that changes so often and that I can't see any company wide style anymore. Both companies also carry such a wide variety of titles that "style" has become diluted.

DAVE
04-10-2008, 07:41 AM
I'm still not convinced. I still think a good writer can write well.

I'm sure some people said that a noir writer like Bendis couldn't handle a sci-fi series like Ultimate FF or the Avengers but I think BMB has got the chops to write anything well.

He's written a wide array of characters, plots and genres and I'm convinced that he could write just as well at DC. However, I'm sure whatever he wrote would have the "Bendis style" with dialog, tone, themes, etc...

AND I don't buy the DC and Marvel style arguments anymore. Any differences come from the talent and that changes so often and that I can't see any company wide style anymore. Both companies also carry such a wide variety of titles that "style" has become diluted.

As I wrote over and over again, I do think Bendis could write great stuff for DC, he;s a great writer, so yeah. I'm just saying I'm not that interested in seeing it just for the sake of seeing it. I'm enjoying his Marvel work immensely.
As for company style, I agree that a lot of it comes from the talent, and that's why I like seeing some of the talent that has established that style staying with the publisher.
Brubaker wrote great stuff for DC, but is he as good of a match there as he is at Marvel? I don't think so, his Batman stuff was never as big as his Captain America is.
I freely admint this comes down to preference, and my preference is to keep reading Bendis's Marvel U.

Hennessy
04-10-2008, 07:49 AM
In the unlikely event that Bendis isn't Marvel exclusive til his dying day... Any non-superhero crime comic or non-Halo project that comes from his shinny bald noggin.

PeterSparker
04-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Come to think of it, Birds of Prey is the DC book I'd like to see him do.

Colby
04-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I've said before, I'd really love to see him do a Justice League International story. Humor, international intrigue, and 80s pop culture- what more does Bendis need?

MAK15
04-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Teen Titans
with pencils by Bagley

jason hissong
04-10-2008, 08:53 AM
More books like earlier in his career: Jinx, Torso, Goldfish, Fortune and Glory, Fire. Powers.

dEnny!
04-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Batman

Meh, I'm happy with where they are and Marvel is just going to extend his contract anyway.

Why waste time with the desperate competition. :p (Nothing but love.)

dEnny!
04-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Supergirl.

Supergirl??? :sick:

TheTravis!
04-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Bendis should never ever EVER leave Marvel.

VonDoom
04-10-2008, 01:05 PM
I love Bendis at Marvel, and hope their association is een longer and more fruitful than it already has been, but, should he ever jump ship, he should be given the entire Bat-franchise, and Green Arrow.

EDIT: And the Shadow, for sure. No one does gritty, pulpy super-noir like Bendis. A Bendis/Maleev Shadow mini or ongoing would be great.

RickLM
04-10-2008, 01:49 PM
As I wrote over and over again, I do think Bendis could write great stuff for DC, he;s a great writer, so yeah. I'm just saying I'm not that interested in seeing it just for the sake of seeing it. I'm enjoying his Marvel work immensely.
As for company style, I agree that a lot of it comes from the talent, and that's why I like seeing some of the talent that has established that style staying with the publisher.
Brubaker wrote great stuff for DC, but is he as good of a match there as he is at Marvel? I don't think so, his Batman stuff was never as big as his Captain America is.
I freely admint this comes down to preference, and my preference is to keep reading Bendis's Marvel U.

I agree with this. Some DC properties might be interesting in Bendis' hands, but overall I'm pretty bored with the DCU. I'd rather see the best writer in comics remain at the most exciting publisher.

Icaruss
04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Another Jinx book. You know, with Goldfish.

Brandon191
04-10-2008, 01:57 PM

I know you've said in the past you can't do a monthly, maybe you and Bendis could do a big Batman mini? That would kick all sorts of ass!

Sam Little
04-10-2008, 02:19 PM
I say the Question, Green Arrow, or the Shadow.

Now that you mention it, The Question could be kinda cool. I'd prefer a Vic Sage story, with Maleev on art of course. Or maybe even Denys Cowan. What ever happened to him anyway?

Donal DeLay
04-10-2008, 02:32 PM
The Shadow. Multi-yes!

Jonathan Callan
04-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Sonic X.

TheTravis!
04-10-2008, 08:13 PM
I think Bendis probably has some great ideas for Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.

nick maynard
04-10-2008, 08:20 PM
bendis is the best in the game, and he'd do great on any book.

but i really think the dc universe is not suited to his kind of story ideas.

its the same thing in reverse with geoff johns. his marvel stuff was really lackluster to me, but everything he touches at dc is solid gold. his style fits dc way better than marvel, and brian fits marvel better than i imagine he would dc.

that being said, i think he's better at non-corporate comics than either marvel or dc anyways. and by that i don't mean i enjoy his corporate stuff less than jinx/torso. he's a hundred times the writer now than he was then, and i really enjoyed those old books. but i definitely think his very best work happens when he is totally free.

but i think that's the same for nearly every writer.

chazbot
04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Powers.

Nick Spencer
04-10-2008, 08:24 PM
bendis is the best in the game, and he'd do great on any book.

but i really think the dc universe is not suited to his kind of story ideas.

It greatly depends on what part of the DCU you're talking about. My favorite Bendis stuff is the crime stuff, so Brian on Batman is something I feel like I have to see before I die. The Question or Green Arrow would also be pretty amazing...

Can I see him on Justice League? It would depend on the roster, but yeah, I see what you mean there.

Still, I'm sure someday a long time from now it'll happen, and it'll be great.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
04-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Green Arrow. Manhunter. Checkmate. Black Lightning.

Masculine Todd
04-10-2008, 08:32 PM
The Spirit

Brian Michael Bendis on script, Bruce Timm on art.

ItsDLEVY
04-10-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm ready for a Bendis-penned TALES FROM RIVERDALE. (I see it now... Sabrina the Teenage Witch goes apeshit and alters reality, tearing the gang apart...)

nick maynard
04-10-2008, 08:38 PM
It greatly depends on what part of the DCU you're talking about. My favorite Bendis stuff is the crime stuff, so Brian on Batman is something I feel like I have to see before I die. The Question or Green Arrow would also be pretty amazing...

Can I see him on Justice League? It would depend on the roster, but yeah, I see what you mean there.

Still, I'm sure someday a long time from now it'll happen, and it'll be great.

i just feel like there's such a giant difference inherent in the universes, you know? i always thought it was about points of view. dc is all about the hero looking down on the people. and marvel is all about the people looking up at the hero. it's marvels vs. kingdom come. marvel is all about people who happen to have powers, and dc is all about powers who happen to have people.

but yeah, i agree, we'll definitely see bendis on batman, and it will definitely be awesome.

adam_warlock_2099
04-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Bring back Kyle Rayner and have Mr Bendis and Mr Van Shiver do the writing and art, and I'll pick it up again.

Unless of course Mr Bendis could be the first person ever to make Hal Jordan interesting . . . I did start reading Ultimate Spiderman, despite the distaste left in my mouth from the 616 Clone Saga. So it could happen I guess.

Ben
04-10-2008, 08:58 PM
I want him to write a message in my yearbook.

Benel Germosen
04-10-2008, 08:58 PM
I would like Brian to go back to his straight up crime stuff.

Angel
04-10-2008, 09:04 PM
brian and phil hester on a gotham central relauch would kick ass. hell, brian and phil on anything would be great.

Ashwin Pande
04-10-2008, 09:14 PM
I would like Brian to go back to his straight up crime stuff.

My personal favorite Bendis.

Maestro
04-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Bendis should take over Manhunter. Yeah

Ashwin Pande
04-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Bendis should take over Manhunter. Yeah

Andreyko's handled that book perfectly.

I wouldn't mind the both of them on that book. That would blow my mind.

artimoff
04-10-2008, 11:21 PM
The Shadow.

I think I just died.

That's awesome.

artimoff
04-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Brian should never leave US-M, but I'd love to see him write for DC. Maybe he'd write a good Hellblazer, Swamp Thing or Books of Magic.

Jerome Gibbons
04-10-2008, 11:27 PM

Something creator-owned.

Slewo.O
04-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Bendis should do something with Sean Phillips too if he ever needs a break from Criminal.

Phillips should never need a break from Criminal though.

That's because Phillips is kept drugged and chained to a desk with his art tools by Brubaker. That bastard :(

I personally would like to see Bendis write Gotham Central or Batman seeing as that's his area of expertise. Although fans would probably go apeshit if Morrison were kicked out and I couldn't see them co-writing considering the stories Morrison wants to tell probably wouldn't mesh.

Maybe it'd be best to hear from the man himself?

Big Poot!
04-11-2008, 02:11 AM
Nothing from DC. (Especially not Batman)

Never leave Avengers or USM Brian!

But if you do, write Fantastic Four and Iron Man!

And creator owned work!

adam_warlock_2099
04-11-2008, 05:59 AM
Brian should never leave US-M, but I'd love to see him write for DC. Maybe he'd write a good Hellblazer, Swamp Thing or Books of Magic.

Yes, with the right artists that could be as epic and Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson's run.

Ray G.
04-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Has anyone made this joke yet? If not...

I can't wait till Bendis Avengers-izes the JLA.