PDA

View Full Version : There Will Be Kubrick - I mean Blood

tdaniel
04-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Watched There Will Be Blood last night. Astounding film.
Maybe a Citizen Kane of this era.

And - So, when did Paul Thomas Anderson become Stanley Kubrick though?

Lyfeforce
04-09-2008, 10:18 AM

some time around Magnolia, or so I'm told.

Rosemary's Baby
04-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I don't really think he's taking too much from Kubrick, although the influence is obvious, especially the initial shot of the bowling alley.

tdaniel
04-09-2008, 10:24 AM
I don't really think he's taking too much from Kubrick, although the influence is obvious, especially the initial shot of the bowling alley.

that's what really drove it home. but note the score, lighting, pervasive sense of dread and foreboding...very Kubrick.

Rosemary's Baby
04-09-2008, 10:24 AM
that's what really drove it home. but note the score, lighting, pervasive sense of dread and foreboding...very Kubrick.

Fuck I forgot about the score. It does reek of Penderecki.

And actually I read that when he was writing it, he was listening to a lot of Penderecki. It'd be hard not to make anything dark and foreboding when listening to him

schizorabbit
04-09-2008, 10:26 AM

Maybe he got tired of being Scorcese. Just kidding. Love the guy's stuff ever since someone recommended Hard Eight to me. Guy's like a wunderkind.

Fourthman
04-09-2008, 10:27 AM

There's some transitions, like the one from the initial stop at the Sunday Ranch to Danile and H.W. quail hunting that are reminiscent of Kubrick, but I think PTA is a wholly original director. He's certainly upped his game to the same pantheon.

Rosemary's Baby
04-09-2008, 10:30 AM
There's some transitions, like the one from the initial stop at the Sunday Ranch to Danile and H.W. quail hunting that are reminiscent of Kubrick, but I think PTA is a wholly original director. He's certainly upped his game to the same pantheon.

He's easily the most exciting filmmaker working today and probably my favorite, now that I think about it.

Rafiennes
04-09-2008, 10:32 AM
I see more Altman than Kubrick in his films.
If he was more like Kubrick then everyone's speech would be stilted and there would be pauses....for no....reason...

Brian Defferding
04-09-2008, 10:39 AM
I didn't like There Will Be Blood. It just didn't entertain me, I was really bored.

However, I do see Kubrick's influence in how it was filmed. I loved the opening music. Scary. But unlike the Kubrick films, there wasn't a payoff.

tdaniel
04-09-2008, 02:30 PM
But unlike the Kubrick films, there wasn't a payoff.

I might disagree here. Eyes Wide Shut was not case closed necessarily and that last line in There Will be Blood is just awesome. Very Rosebud.

And despite my instigating this thread, I absolutely love PTA and all of his films, even Punch Drunk Love (which is the artiest reimagining of a cartoon character - ever).

There was one musical clue in the film as to what it was all about - anyone?

Donal DeLay
04-09-2008, 02:49 PM
He's fat and bearded?

Rosemary's Baby
04-09-2008, 03:02 PM
I might disagree here. Eyes Wide Shut was not case closed necessarily and that last line in There Will be Blood is just awesome. Very Rosebud.

And despite my instigating this thread, I absolutely love PTA and all of his films, even Punch Drunk Love (which is the artiest reimagining of a cartoon character - ever).

There was one musical clue in the film as to what it was all about - anyone?

Not sure, Popeye?

I've never heard that Barry is a reimagining of a cartoon character. I'm skeptical.

Joe Kalicki
04-09-2008, 03:08 PM
If he was more like Kubrick then everyone's speech would be stilted and there would be pauses....for no....reason...

True, he was even going to direct Prairie Home Companion if Altman died during filming.

bartleby
04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
True, he was even going to direct Prairie Home Companion if Altman died during filming.

For all practical purposes, Anderson pretty much co-directed that movie.

THWIP!
04-09-2008, 03:13 PM

PTA was actually set to step in to direct Altman's last movie in case he was to sick to do it. He actually dedicates TWBB to Altman.

I loved this movie. I thought it was brilliant. My favorite movie from last year.

Joe Kalicki
04-09-2008, 03:14 PM
For all practical purposes, Anderson pretty much co-directed that movie.

Interesting. I haven't seen it yet, I always almost rent it but never do. I guess I will eventually.

THWIP!
04-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Interesting. I haven't seen it yet, I always almost rent it but never do. I guess I will eventually.

Is it the fact that Lindsay Lohan is in it?

Joe Kalicki
04-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Is it the fact that Lindsay Lohan is in it?

Nah, I don't know, haven't been in much of an Altman mood lately.

I still need to see The Company, too.

Rosemary's Baby
There's a few good interviews with PTA on youtube concerning Punch Drunk Love by the way.

He said he was trying to make a Jacques Tati movie.

Fourthman

It's awful, and you'll never get the time back. Altman certainly didn't.

Joe Kalicki
04-09-2008, 03:20 PM
It's awful, and you'll never get the time back. Altman certainly didn't.

But I like A Prairie Home Companion on the radio.

Fourthman
04-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Nah, I don't know, haven't been in much of an Altman mood lately.

I still need to see The Company, too.

There's transcendant, great Altman, and then there's shitty, boring, pointless Altman. The Company and PHC fall into the latter category. Vincent and Theo, Nashville, M*A*S*H, The Player, Short Cuts, and a few others fall into the former.

Fourthman
04-09-2008, 03:22 PM
But I like A Prairie Home Companion on the radio.
Where it belongs.

Angeles
04-09-2008, 03:46 PM
THERE WILL BE BLOOD really reminded me of Kubrick's BARRY LYNDON. The stories are similar with both main characters trying to amass wealth at any cost. Much of the score of TWBB has a BARRY LYNDON feel, especially after the final cut with the violins playing.

PT Anderson is on my list of directors who are a must see, regardless of the subject matter.

DeluxeVoltron
04-09-2008, 08:07 PM
yall are talkin all smart and cultured. what board is this?

i really really really dug this movie. might top magnolia as my all-time fave.

tdaniel
04-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Not sure, Popeye?

Exactly. It's Popeye. Not in a literal sense but Olive's love theme sung by Shelley Duval and the character archetypes...well, the idea struck me is all.

DeluxeVoltron
04-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Exactly. It's Popeye. Not in a literal sense but Olive's love theme sung by Shelley Duval and the character archetypes...well, the idea struck me is all.

is love his spinach?

Taxman
04-09-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't really think he's taking too much from Kubrick, although the influence is obvious, especially the initial shot of the bowling alley.People used to say he ripped off Scorsese. They saw huge parallels between Boogie Nights and Godfellas. I didn't see it so much, and I always preferred Hard Eight. Except, of course, I hate Gwenyth Paltrow. Although, her role was pretty consistent with my opinion of her.

PeteL
04-10-2008, 04:34 AM
I saw Kubrick in the bowling alley scene - not so much anywhere else.

But that last scene, that is indebted to Kubrick no quesiton.

Akira
04-10-2008, 04:39 AM
I wouldn't say PTA is Kubrick quite yet. Blood only maintained my interest as long as Daniel Day-Lewis was on the screen. Anytime he wasn't I stopped caring about the plot, characters, story, etc. It was a decent movie raised to "great" status by one of the best performances of the last decade. But I'm not ready to crown PTA Orson or Kubrick just yet. Not even close actually.

Kody
04-10-2008, 05:09 AM
I liked There Will Be Blood quite a bit, but the characters were far more interesting than the story.

If it would of had both, the film would have been monumental.

Doug
04-10-2008, 05:14 AM
While it was a very good movie, I wouldn't call it the Citizen Kane of this generation. There was only one Kane, and I don't see a movie coming along that will meet or top the impact on cinema that Kane did. Maybe a genera will have it's "Kane" (Psycho for horror, Star Wars for Sci-Fi/Space Opera), but I don't see any movie being as influential to cinema on a whole as Kane was.

yeamon
04-10-2008, 05:30 AM
I didn't like There Will Be Blood. It just didn't entertain me, I was really bored.

However, I do see Kubrick's influence in how it was filmed. I loved the opening music. Scary. But unlike the Kubrick films, there wasn't a payoff.

I have very similar feelings about it. I think it is a very well made film.

But I hated the story.

Kody
04-10-2008, 05:34 AM
While it was a very good movie, I wouldn't call it the Citizen Kane of this generation. There was only one Kane, and I don't see a movie coming along that will meet or top the impact on cinema that Kane did. Maybe a genera will have it's "Kane" (Psycho for horror, Star Wars for Sci-Fi/Space Opera), but I don't see any movie being as influential to cinema on a whole as Kane was.

Turning point for the industry, maybe.

But overall I've got to put Citizen Kane as a close #2 behind The Godfather.

SgtPepper
04-10-2008, 06:27 AM
I didn't care for Magnolia. I enjoyed parts of it but overall found it disappointing. Does that film require repeat viewings to fully appreciate it?

Fourthman
04-10-2008, 06:31 AM
I didn't care for Magnolia. I enjoyed parts of it but overall found it disappointing. Does that film require repeat viewings to fully appreciate it?

This guy hopes not.

Taxman
04-10-2008, 06:35 AM
I liked There Will Be Blood quite a bit, but the characters were far more interesting than the story. I do not believe that to be the case with many Kubrick films, if any. The Anderson work I have seen has all been character centric.

Rod Nunley
04-10-2008, 06:41 AM
I have to say that this is the first movie that Anderson has done that I actually liked. And it's for sure the only one I'll buy for my collection. But it's more because of the character work and the cinematography than the direction of the movie.

Brian Defferding
04-10-2008, 06:56 AM

I don't know, to me it just missed some of the shock value Kubrick's film had (not for shock value's sake though), and while There Will Be Blood opened with an eerie mood, the eerie feeling left shortly thereafter and never got back that unsettling level that Kubrick's films have. The murder scene in the end I thought was an anticlimax (kind of like Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut). It's weird, because Kubrick is my favorite director, and while I think There Will Be Blood was Kubrick-like, I didn't enjoy it.

andrew french
04-10-2008, 06:58 AM
I agree. It was that black right from the beginning, and the foreboding music swelling that reminded me so much of 2001.

Anderson's Punch Drunk Love is a gem, too. I don't know if this term is ever correctly used, but i'd say it's underrated. I say that only because Magnolia and Boogie Nights are the obvious big ones.

tdaniel
04-10-2008, 08:00 AM

I should have been more clear in tossing out the kane comparison. I'm sorry. I'm not talking innovation, I'm only going with theme and characterization and the parallels between these two barons of industry and their fates. Yeah - no, there is one Kane, always will be :)

THWIP!
04-10-2008, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't say PTA is Kubrick quite yet. Blood only maintained my interest as long as Daniel Day-Lewis was on the screen. Anytime he wasn't I stopped caring about the plot, characters, story, etc. It was a decent movie raised to "great" status by one of the best performances of the last decade. But I'm not ready to crown PTA Orson or Kubrick just yet. Not even close actually.

They weren't saying that he's the next Kubrick just that he was influenced by him. Greatly.

Doug
04-10-2008, 08:59 AM
I should have been more clear in tossing out the kane comparison. I'm sorry. I'm not talking innovation, I'm only going with theme and characterization and the parallels between these two barons of industry and their fates. Yeah - no, there is one Kane, always will be :)

I just didn't read your first post correctly. :Oops:

DeluxeVoltron
04-10-2008, 09:10 AM

i liked it more and more with repeat viewings. my friends that disliked it hated it more and more with repeat viewings

tdaniel
04-10-2008, 10:25 AM
PTA Films in order of like (for me)

There Will Be Blood
Boogies Nights
Magnolia
Hard Eight
Punch Drunk Love

did I leave anything out?

Taxman
04-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Punch Drunk LoveI've never seen this one.

Fourthman
04-10-2008, 10:36 AM

There Will Be Blood
Boogie Nights
Magnolia
Hard Eight
Punch Drunk Love

did I leave anything out?

Flip Mag and PDL and you have my list.

BronxRonin
04-10-2008, 10:44 AM
What about it makes it brilliant...i hear brilliant from a few folks, which is cool but why?At what point makes this movie brilliant?

Joe Kalicki
04-10-2008, 11:06 AM
I'd have to say:

Boogie Nights
Punch-Drunk Love
Magnolia
There Will Be Blood

Haven't seen Hard Eight, would be completely willing to move Blood up after a second viewing, and I really loved Punch-Drunk Love and need to see it again and it might beat Boogie Nights.