PDA

View Full Version : A DCU Writing Question

Jonathan Callan
04-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Working on a spec. script for a DCU animated show. I have two questions for comics fans here:

1. Does the DCU have a good super-criminal prison like The Raft?

2. What are good alien races that have attempted to invade the DCU in the past? Something like the Kree or the Skrull. I know the Thanagarians but beyond that I'm drawing a blank.

TheTravis!
04-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Working on a spec. script for a DCU animated show. I have two questions for comics fans here:

2. What are good alien races that have attempted to invade the DCU in the past? Something like the Kree or the Skrull. I know the Thanagarians but beyond that I'm drawing a blank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DC_Comics_races#Primary_list_of_alien_race s

Ashwin Pande
04-03-2008, 10:11 PM

1. There is one but I'm blanking on what it's called... It's "The Something"...

Keystone City has Iron Heights where they keep the Flash villains.

Gotham City has Black...something Prison... Blackgate!

Metropolis has... uhhh.. something Island...

Fuck... this board has made me more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy!

2. DC did a whole crossover in the 80s called Invasion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion!_(DC_Comics)). Everyone from the Daxamites, the Dominators, The Khunds and the Thanagarians invaded to get a piece of Earth and wipe out the Superhumans.

TheTravis!
04-03-2008, 10:28 PM
2. DC did a whole crossover in the 80s called Invasion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion!_(DC_Comics)). Everyone from the Daxamites, the Dominators, The Khunds and the Thanagarians invaded to get a piece of Earth and wipe out the Superhumans.

This was back when DC crossovers were awesome and didn't reboot their entire universe for no fucking reason.

Ashwin Pande
04-03-2008, 10:39 PM
The Slab!

That's what the DC Prison is called!

Ashwin Pande
04-03-2008, 10:41 PM
This was back when DC crossovers were awesome and didn't reboot their entire universe for no fucking reason.

I like COIE but the first time I read it I got a huge headache. I had to research up to find out what was going on.

I really cannot fathom why they decided to bring all of that back. It just leads to so many inconsistencies and confusion. At least for me.

Ashwin Pande
04-03-2008, 10:50 PM
The Metropolis Prison is called Stryker's Island.

I am so disappointed that I had to google to find that out.

Sigh. :surrend:

Michael Blacklist
04-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Belle Reve is still around in the DCU as well, but the aforementioned Slab is more akin to The Raft than anything else.

Ashwin Pande
04-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Belle Reve is still around in the DCU as well, but the aforementioned Slab is more akin to The Raft than anything else.

Belle Reeve was the one Waller was running a while back right?

Ashwin Pande
04-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Jesus Christ.. Suicide Squad was based out of Belle Reeve... wtf is wrong with me today?!!

I am losing my DC powers!!

Michael Blacklist
04-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Belle Reeve was the one Waller was running a while back right?

Yep. I think it predates everything else but Stryker's.

In the 31st century DCU, they have the prison planet Takron Galtos. I grinned when Johns referenced it in this week's Action.

Jonathan Callan
04-04-2008, 12:18 AM
The Slab!

That's what the DC Prison is called!

Thanks man. All of this was actually incredibly helpful.

Though I can't say "The Slab" is really that original if "The Raft" predates it. In the Amalgam universe, it's probably "The Raft Slab - Maximum Maximum Security Installation"

Ashwin Pande
04-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks man. All of this was actually incredibly helpful.

Though I can't say "The Slab" is really that original if "The Raft" predates it. In the Amalgam universe, it's probably "The Raft Slab - Maximum Maximum Security Installation"

I think the Slab is somewhere in the Antarctic. It's called the Slab because it's a giant building made of some weird alien material... or something..

I could be wrong... it was mostly used in the 90s.. I don't think they even use it anymore.

The Slab

The Slabside Island Maximum Security prison for metahumans (also known as the Slab) is now located in Antarctica, as depicted in the Joker's "Last Laugh" crossover. The facility's first warden was Shilo Norman. First appears in Green Lantern Volume 3, # 51 (May 1994).

Here's a more comprehensive list... damn... wikipedia really has everything...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_correctional_facilities_in_comics

Ashwin Pande
04-04-2008, 12:27 AM
The Raft was created by Bendis and Finch. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raft_%28comics%29)

Lanowar
04-04-2008, 01:36 AM
I do like in Marvel how we have all these top secret prisons that have heavy secruity and are in locations no one could get to or at least get to with effort, then we have

"The Raft, right by New York"

Brad N.
04-04-2008, 03:44 PM
The Raft was created by Bendis and Finch. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raft_%28comics%29)

I never saw any difference between The Raft and the old version The Vault aside from the name and location.

Brad N.
04-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Not to be a dick Spaceman, but are you writing a DCU animated version of Secret Invasion?

Ray G.
04-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Not to be a dick Spaceman, but are you writing a DCU animated version of Secret Invasion?

DC's alien races tend to be a bit more...forward.

If there was a full-on invasion, it'd probably be a lot more like War of the Worlds than Secret Invasion.

Unless it's white martians. :scared:

Joe Kalicki
04-04-2008, 03:52 PM

If there was a full-on invasion, it'd probably be a lot more like War of the Worlds than Secret Invasion.

Racist.

RegularJoe
04-04-2008, 03:54 PM

1 - Iron Heights in, I believe, Central City for the Flash. Gotham has Arkham. And I think the GL book has been talking about making the rock into something again.

2 - the reach in 'blue beetle' just got stopped.

RegularJoe
04-04-2008, 03:56 PM

except the reach. they're uber subtle.