PDA

View Full Version : THE MIST was creepy because...

Ethan Van Sciver
04-02-2008, 06:41 AM
...of this guy: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/196/1206995021_1.jpg

His immaculately trimmed and sculpted (yet thick!) eyebrows, white skin and red lips were unsettling. A truly bizarre looking man. I demand an explanation for him. :mistrust:

Gregory
04-02-2008, 06:42 AM
He looked like he just walked out of a Quake game.

PeteL
04-02-2008, 06:43 AM
I thought the same thing myself.

Weirdo!

KingMob
04-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Yeah, he was sort of over the top metro. Also that is one movie I'll never watch again because of the ending. :lol:

Rod Nunley
04-02-2008, 06:50 AM
I didn't notice the weird coloring. I watched the black and white version. It was awesome. I really dug that movie.

Matt Jay
04-02-2008, 06:53 AM
I noticed his funny-lookingness as well. Very distracting.

Patton
04-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Yeah that guy was waaay creepier than the monsters, the crazy Bible lady, or the ending.

Uh huh.

JoeE
04-02-2008, 06:57 AM
That dude also played Crashdown in BSG.

Crashdown is the guy Baltar fragged, for those of you who don't remember.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Yeah that guy was waaay creepier than the monsters, the crazy Bible lady, or the ending.

Uh huh.

Those things were explained. I understood them. I looked at this guy for a long time, trying to understand. Was his oddness part of the plot? Apparently not. I mean, here was a square jawed guy with masculine features that had been deliberately feminized. But in a clownish way. Was he wearing makeup? I could not tell.

My wife and I gasped when he showed up on screen.

Garth
04-02-2008, 07:00 AM
I watched the black and white version after seeing the color version in theaters. I think I loved it more in b&w.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-02-2008, 07:02 AM
I watched the black and white version after seeing the color version in theaters. I think I loved it more in b&w.

I'm going to watch it in black and white later. It should be very Twilight Zoney.

Terrible ending. What was the rush, anyhow?

My wife said to me, "I guess in those circumstances, you have to do that." I assured her if I had four bullets, Hunter and I are charging out of the car together and taking four of those bastards with us. Fuck them! Choke on us, bitches!

Matt Jay
04-02-2008, 07:05 AM
I'm going to watch it in black and white later. It should be very Twilight Zoney.

My wife said to me, "I guess in those circumstances, you have to do that." I assured her if I had four bullets, Hunter and I are charging out of the car together and taking four of those bastards with us. Fuck them! Choke on us, bitches!

Dude. They'll plant spiders in your skin.

Garth
04-02-2008, 07:05 AM

Yeah, people are definitely split on it. There was no rush, I think it was the desperation of the situation after days upon days being holed up in the supermarket. And ultimately wanting to go out painlessly, as opposed to the horrific ways they saw their friends go.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Dude. They'll plant spiders in your skin.

Naw, we'd chase down one of those big walky things that bites you in half.

Patton
04-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Yeah I woulda went down swinging too.

Patton
04-02-2008, 07:08 AM
I liked seeing the lady and her kids at the end. I guess everyone who was in the store should've just followed her? I don't know. That was kind of weird. How did she make it out and no one else did?

Gregory
04-02-2008, 07:11 AM
I liked seeing the lady and her kids at the end. I guess everyone who was in the store should've just followed her? I don't know. That was kind of weird. How did she make it out and no one else did?

Dumb luck, and a mother's determination.

Garth
04-02-2008, 07:12 AM

that is the irony of the whole thing. Somehow she evaded everything. It was great.

KingMob
04-02-2008, 07:13 AM

actually you might want to wait 3 minutes for the tank and the military first.

Patton
04-02-2008, 07:14 AM
that is the irony of the whole thing. Somehow she evaded everything. It was great.

The problem with that irony is that other people decided to leave and they didn't make it. So it wasn't quite the TZ moment I think they were going for.

Rod Nunley
04-02-2008, 07:14 AM
actually you might want to wait 3 minutes for the tank and the military first.

Agreed.

RyanP
04-02-2008, 07:17 AM
I loved this movie, I thought the ending was great. I would have done things a little differently if I were in that situation though.

Garth
04-02-2008, 07:23 AM
The problem with that irony is that other people decided to leave and they didn't make it. So it wasn't quite the TZ moment I think they were going for.

Yeah, it was obvious the kind of zing ending they wanted. Very TZ. And I did love that ending, but you are right it doesn't seem feasible. Still, though I have never read the short-story. The new ending seems better then what I have heard.

Gregory
04-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Yeah, it was obvious the kind of zing ending they wanted. Very TZ. And I did love that ending, but you are right it doesn't seem feasible. Still, though I have never read the short-story. The new ending seems better then what I have heard.

I enjoyed the book's ending more, but I can see why a movie would want a more definitive conclusion.

KingMob
04-02-2008, 07:31 AM

go back and watch it again, she actually turns around and walks backwards after she leaves the store.

St Omo
04-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Yeah, people are definitely split on it. There was no rush, I think it was the desperation of the situation after days upon days being holed up in the supermarket. And ultimately wanting to go out painlessly, as opposed to the horrific ways they saw their friends go.

Around halfway into the movie, one of the characters mentions how it's only been two days, and after the pharmacy run, Thomas Jane's character slept for the better part of a day iirc, so tack on another day or two before the exodus, and you're not even hitting an entire week.

The thing I love most about this story, and the movie, is how all along Jane's "group" are painted as the relatively rational ones, but, as you pointed out, desperation makes anyone crazy, as the end clearly shows.

I guess it also doesn't help that Jane's character was a poor leader who somewhat routinely made bad decisions. Frankly, I would have put my money on the mousy crack shot asst manager dude. But there are people who seem like they're natural leaders that others, in dire situations, will follow, and based on this particular story, we saw three distinct personalities (Jane, Braugher and Harden) and on their own, none possessed all of the inherent characteristics to see everyone through. Maybe if they'd decided to work together, the damage would have been minimized, but that wouldn't have made nearly as interesting a story, or been as true to history or human nature.

St Omo
04-02-2008, 07:41 AM

I think the irony was there more as the last nail in the coffin than an implication leaving the supermarket held any better chances for their survival. That woman hit the life lottery and it was nothing but dumb luck.

Genius J
04-02-2008, 08:18 AM
The ending of this stayed with me for a long time. It still bothers me. I think it was fantastic but it creeps me out. Maybe it's because I'm a father now.

Constant Reader
04-02-2008, 08:27 AM
The ending was amazing in thatit really polarizes people. On one hand you're thinking how awful, on the other hand it's "I wouldn't have done that." But I bought it just because everything they'd tried to do to survive had failed. When you're surrounded by that much hopelessness, I don't know that it would take long to give up. I hope I wouldn't, but I just don't know.

CR

KingMob
04-02-2008, 08:29 AM
The ending of this stayed with me for a long time. It still bothers me. I think it was fantastic but it creeps me out. Maybe it's because I'm a father now.

me too, that look on the kids face when he wakes up in the jeep?, yeah....

schizorabbit
04-02-2008, 09:13 AM

I think somewhere on the special features, Darabant (writer/director) said that Stephen King told him that if he had thought of that ending (the movie one) when he was writing the novella, then he would've used it.

schizorabbit
04-02-2008, 09:15 AM

I totally relate. That ending fucked my shit up. I'm a father of an amazing six year old boy, so I totally related to the father/son dynamic.

There should be move movies like this--especially horror ones--as opposed to the geard-towards-the-teenage-demographic PG-13 movies filled with cardboard cutouts.

Garth
04-02-2008, 09:30 AM
I think somewhere on the special features, Darabant (writer/director) said that Stephen King told him that if he had thought of that ending (the movie one) when he was writing the novella, then he would've used it.

Yeah, I remember reading something similar.

KingMob
04-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I remember reading something similar.

He must have mello'd out in his old age, didnt he give kubrick a shitstorm over the shining because of content change?

Sean Jackson
04-02-2008, 10:21 AM
I like in the audio commentary that Frank Darabont and King talked about the ending and said basically every generation should have a movie where practically everyone dies. Like the original Night of the Living Dead. Where pretty much everyone has a shit ending.

schizorabbit
04-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I like in the audio commentary that Frank Darabont and King talked about the ending and said basically every generation should have a movie where practically everyone dies. Like the original Night of the Living Dead. Where pretty much everyone has a shit ending.

Ooo, gotta listen to that!!!!! I bought the two-disc version, lent out the color theatrical cut (must have the commentary on it) in order to watch the intended black-and-white version.

TheFalcon
04-02-2008, 10:45 AM
I haven't seen the Mist, but that guy was pretty creepy and weird in Battlestar Galactica.

Next time you see him somewhere, just think of him like this:

http://image.bayimg.com/dajoeaabe.jpg

and all the creepyness goes away

:)

schizorabbit
04-02-2008, 10:53 AM
I haven't seen the Mist, but that guy was pretty creepy and weird in Battlestar Galactica.

What???? That's Crashdown from Battlestar??? Where's that from? Is "Boogaloo" in the title?

Constant Reader
04-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Hell, that's creepier than anything in THE MIST.

CR

TheFalcon
04-02-2008, 11:26 AM
What???? That's Crashdown from Battlestar??? Where's that from? Is "Boogaloo" in the title?

It was on imdb (http://imdb.com/name/nm1022429/), not sure what it's from. It was just such a weird picture I had to post it.

Sean Jackson
04-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Ooo, gotta listen to that!!!!! I bought the two-disc version, lent out the color theatrical cut (must have the commentary on it) in order to watch the intended black-and-white version.

Yeah, the commentary's on the color version.

Sean Jackson
04-02-2008, 01:26 PM

Yeah, it's on the 2nd disc somewhere. I heard it today while listening to the special features.

Supreme Convoy
04-02-2008, 02:29 PM
...of this guy: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/196/1206995021_1.jpg

His immaculately trimmed and sculpted (yet thick!) eyebrows, white skin and red lips were unsettling. A truly bizarre looking man. I demand an explanation for him. :mistrust:

I also thought he had a square looking head and elf ears.

Good actor in the film though.

James Patrick
04-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Just watched it.

I really, really dug it. I wish they'd have let Darabount write indy.

Anyway, as for the ending, I didn't like it because I don't think it added anything to the story. It was a bit ironic, and maybe a case could be made for the desperation theme, but it seems sensational just to go out with a bang. An otherwise great movie.

Metro man kind of took me out of the picture at times. I was like, what the fuck is wrong with his eyebrows? Oh, they're groomed. Who grooms their eyebrows like that? Wait. What the fuck was going on in this movie?

Oh, and loved psyco relegious later for the little odd comments she made to support her arguments, her quirkyness. "If I want a friend like you I'll squat down and shit one out"