PDA

View Full Version : SECRET INVASION VIRAL MARKETING - the TRUTH

Jim McCann
04-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Ok guys, the culmination of something that has been hiding in plain site for months is finally up and ready! You may have seen it in LITG or many of the sites that picked up on the story, but you HAVE to see this.

SECRET INVASION: HOME INVASION, the Kinsey Story (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=31531215)

It's crazy, fun, and has a HUGE Secret Invasion announcement at the end. Also, it is well-worth your time to watch all of them. There are hints, clues, red-herrings, and Easter Eggs hidden all throughout.

HUGE thanks to Megan Sherlock who starred (and kept up with the comments and friend requests, all while staying in character), Ben Morse, who co-created and co-wrote, and Sam Walker who co-wrote and directed and set designed AND did so much more that I think SHE'S got Skrulls impersonating her to help out!

This is just the beginning, so enjoy!
Jim @ Marvel

(no, this is not an April Fool's Day joke, this is a real thing. Look for news stories about it soon.)

PS, pre-emptive eye-roll to the eventual Debbie Downer that asks for their 2:13 mins of their life back. No, I can't give you that. But I can give you a hug.

Jerome Gibbons
04-01-2008, 03:43 PM
There are hints, clues, red-herrings

*Snicker*

Lyfeforce
04-01-2008, 03:46 PM
marvel's getting much better at their videos, gotta give them that.

Mr. E!
04-01-2008, 03:46 PM
At least no skrulls were harmed in the making of that film:)

Jim.
04-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Awesome.

Kefky
That was pretty neat, but what about marvel b0i? :)

Jim McCann
Oh, and can someone add a link to this to the SI overall links and updates thread thingy, as this is an official, sanctioned part of Secret Invasion now that the reveal is out?

Thanks!

JoshM
Oh man oh man oh man i want Secret Invasion NOW. I getting off the internets until I get it tomorrow. And avoiding newspapers.

Ben
04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
PS, pre-emptive eye-roll to the eventual Debbie Downer that asks for their 2:13 mins of their life back. No, I can't give you that. But I can give you a hug.A pre-emptive
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/thedailynow/mccannd.jpg

Lanowar
04-01-2008, 03:49 PM
I saw bits and pieces of it yes it was quite cool I do wonder how many non comic book fans watched it not knowing it was a advert for Secret Invasion.

Joe Henderson
04-01-2008, 03:53 PM
I give Marvel big points for thinking outside the box with this. Jim, who is the creative team on the digital book? And what's the book called?

costello
04-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Is this going to make it to youtube?

Jim McCann
04-01-2008, 03:57 PM
I saw bits and pieces of it yes it was quite cool I do wonder how many non comic book fans watched it not knowing it was a advert for Secret Invasion.

250,000 views over the weekend, BEFORE Rich's story tipped off the comic fans.

Criden
04-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Jim, any word on whether Marvel B0y was genuine or viral marketing? I doubt I'm the only one wondering. :)

Icaruss
04-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Whoa, cool.

Jim McCann
04-01-2008, 04:01 PM
I give Marvel big points for thinking outside the box with this. Jim, who is the creative team on the digital book? And what's the book called?

The web comic will be called SECRET INVASION: HOME INVASION.
Writer: Ivan Brandon
Artist: Nick Postic
Editor: John Barber

All have ties or history with webcomics, so it's going to be cool. I read the first few installments already, and it's awesome. It also points people to SECRET INVASION and how to find a comic store. HOPEFULLY, some of the fans and friends she got before this episode went up, the vast majority of whome never thought about picking up copmics, will now be interested in the event, the medium, and the industry.

At worst, we all had a TON of fun and it adds another layer to the Invasion.

bartleby
04-01-2008, 04:11 PM

Old school Bendis Boarder Ivan Brandon?

tdaniel
04-01-2008, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=Jim @ Marvel;4501071]The web comic will be called SECRET INVASION: HOME INVASION.
QUOTE]

IVAN!?!
That's an automatic buy. Awesome.

And I agree with the other posters here who gave credit to you all for trying something new and different and certainly appealed to a potential new audience of readers.

Lord Jermaine Retail
04-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Man that was weird. I was watching..rather listening to all the installments (working on my Previews order right now) and it was kinda cool, but also kinda odd. I guess that's how the young people communicate these days though. Really disturbing sound at the end of the last one that activated some kind of primal fear in me.

I do kinda want to see what happens next though. ;)

Thomas Mauer
04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Artist: Nick Postic
Editor: John Barber

All have ties or history with webcomics, so it's going to be cool. I read the first few installments already, and it's awesome. It also points people to SECRET INVASION and how to find a comic store. HOPEFULLY, some of the fans and friends she got before this episode went up, the vast majority of whome never thought about picking up copmics, will now be interested in the event, the medium, and the industry.

At worst, we all had a TON of fun and it adds another layer to the Invasion.

Ivan Brandon? Awesome!

Jerome Gibbons
04-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Can the video be found at other sites? I kinda loath MySpace TV...

Thomas Mauer
04-01-2008, 05:02 PM

It won't load for me there, actually. Even with Greasemonkey turned off. So I hope it'll hit youtube soon.

VitoDGK
04-01-2008, 05:05 PM
just watched. pretty neat!

Jim McCann
04-01-2008, 05:53 PM

Right now it is at MySpace, but will be available soon on other places, I promise.

Thanks again for all the kind words guys!

greg donovan
04-01-2008, 05:59 PM
adding the random bowling alley dance clip was a nice touch.

chess
04-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Incredible! Seriously, Marvel is changing the market.

Secret Invasion is the most impressive "product". Finally, we have a group that is ready to compete with movies, video games, television, etc...

Think about where this will be 10 years from now and you cannot help but be impressed.

Benjirino~!
04-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Haha, the final scream when the video was almost done made me actually jump, I wasn't expecting it and had sound on as loud as it could go, you gits >_<

Jim McCann
04-02-2008, 02:00 AM
Haha, the final scream when the video was almost done made me actually jump, I wasn't expecting it and had sound on as loud as it could go, you gits >_<

That still gets me every time.

Nick MB
04-02-2008, 02:07 AM
You just know that a good percentage of the people reading this thread are quietly annoyed because they were hoping this would be where we get a comphrehensive confirm/deny on marvel_b0y.

The video thing sounds cool though. Can't really watch while "working", but will do at lunch or in evening. I do agree this is some quite cool innovation from Marvel, if it's as good as people are saying. The second video trailer (with Iron Man) was a classy job.

Marc Lombardi
04-02-2008, 03:29 AM
I count at least four marvel boy questions that have been ignored in this thread. Figures.

Jim McCann
04-02-2008, 05:11 AM
I count at least four marvel boy questions that have been ignored in this thread. Figures.

Because one has nothing to do with the other. I don't comment on spoiler threads/blogs/etc or those that post them.

greg donovan
04-02-2008, 05:17 AM
Because one has nothing to do with the other. I don't comment on spoiler threads/blogs/etc or those that post them.

sounds like a good policy to me. dont feed the trolls.

danlomb
04-02-2008, 05:48 AM
Debbie Downer...
...is she the one with the massive cans, or am i thinking of a different Debbie?

Jim McCann
04-02-2008, 10:16 AM
More info on Kinsey
http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2008/04/02/the-shocking-truth/

ScottishGreenLantern
04-02-2008, 10:43 AM
That video was brilliant!

MabusRex
04-02-2008, 11:08 AM
"ESU"
"The Coffee Bean"

Nice touches. ;)

Jim McCann
04-02-2008, 11:14 AM
"ESU"
"The Coffee Bean"

Nice touches. ;)

There are more. Check out Hank's screen saver in episode 16 for one...

MabusRex
04-02-2008, 11:17 AM
There are more. Check out Hank's screen saver in episode 16 for one...

Well, I was more talking about the subtle ones. Episode 16 had more overt clues. The DB with Cap's death, the previous-mentioned screen saver, etc.

I did like the clue of the book report though. WAR OF THE WORLDS indeed. And funny little pun with "It's not polite to be invading other people's space."

Jim McCann
04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Well, I was more talking about the subtle ones. Episode 16 had more overt clues. The DB with Cap's death, the previous-mentioned screen saver, etc.

I did like the clue of the book report though. WAR OF THE WORLDS indeed. And funny little pun with "It's not polite to be invading other people's space."

Yay! You DID watch! :)

copypastepuke
04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
those must have been fun to make

Jason California
04-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Oh, and can someone add a link to this to the SI overall links and updates thread thingy, as this is an official, sanctioned part of Secret Invasion now that the reveal is out?

Thanks!

Adding it to the official thread of official threads.....