PDA

View Full Version : Monty Python and the Holy Grail is truly an excellent film...

FredC
03-28-2008, 05:48 PM
You sort of forget that after it's been overquoted into oblivion and watch it too many times...

I'm watching it again after having not watched it in a few years. It is still a great film.

Just wanted to let you all know.

RebootedCorpse
03-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Too true.

CapnChaos
03-28-2008, 06:03 PM
I know it's the hipster thing to proclaim Life of Brian or Meaning of Life to be superior, but Holy Grail, to me, will always be the best.

FredC
03-28-2008, 06:09 PM
I know it's the hipster thing to proclaim Life of Brian or Meaning of Life to be superior, but Holy Grail, to me, will always be the best.

Not to be a hipster, but Life of Brian is a better film. Holy Grail however I think is funnier, though all three Python films are damn funny. Unfortunately, a lot of it's humor has been tarnished by overquoting and the internet. I can barely even chuckle at The Knights Who Say Ni anymore. But the stuff people never mention.

MAK15
03-28-2008, 06:09 PM
yup yup

Matt C. Linton
03-28-2008, 06:11 PM
I really do prefer The Life of Brian, though it probably had far too much of an influence on my becoming agnostic. I love the Holy Grail, but I can't stand the ending.

Ryan Elliott
Yep.

FredC
I really do prefer The Life of Brian, though it probably had far too much of an influence on my becoming agnostic. I love the Holy Grail, but I can't stand the ending.

Ah, shut up. It's funny! :p

GelfXIII
03-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Not to be a hipster, but Life of Brian is a better film. Holy Grail however I think is funnier, though all three Python films are damn funny. Unfortunately, a lot of it's humor has been tarnished by overquoting and the internet. I can barely even chuckle at The Knights Who Say Ni anymore. But the stuff people never mention.

This new learning amazes me. Explain to me again how we know the world to be Banana shaped...

Kefky
03-28-2008, 06:15 PM
I still say the Meaning of Life is their best movie. Sure it has lacks the structure of a movie, but it's by far the funniest. There's some really amazing bits in there that people barely remember.

FredC
03-28-2008, 06:17 PM
I still say the Meaning of Life is their best movie. Sure it has lacks the structure of a movie, but it's by far the funniest. There's some really amazing bits in there that people barely remember.

Yeah, that's a plus on that one. Pretty much nobody mentions anything about that film other than the lines "A tiger?! In Africa!?" and occasionally "The Machine that goes PING!"

Which are simple lines, instead of a whole routine.

To be honest, we are completely mad. We escaped from an insane asylum and made this costume out of used cereal packets.

Lemonade Lady
03-28-2008, 06:18 PM
I recently re-watched Life of Brian and was very surprised that it's nowhere near as good as Holy Grail. If religion wasn't considered such a touchy taboo subject to poke fun at then I doubt it'd be thought of as fondly. It's a very good film, but Holy Grail is superior all around.

FredC
03-28-2008, 06:21 PM
I recently re-watched Life of Brian and was very surprised that it's nowhere near as good as Holy Grail. If religion wasn't considered such a touchy taboo subject to poke fun at then I doubt it'd be thought of as fondly. It's a very good film, but Holy Grail is superior all around.

Oh, I don't know. It's got some FANTASTIC moments.

"I'm not the messiah!"

"Of course you are! And I should know, I've followed a few!"

Plus an appearance by Spike Milligan!

There's a lot of greatness in that film. It's not even that religion is taboo. I don't view the film as offensive at all. It's just very very funny.

Drkemerld73
03-28-2008, 06:23 PM

I really do enjoy Life of Brian, but Holy Grail is something you can just pop in at any time and at any point in the film and just laugh.

FredC
03-28-2008, 06:25 PM
I really do enjoy Life of Brian, but Holy Grail is something you can just pop in at any time and at any point in the film and just laugh.

Every time I see you online I want to post some Twin Peaks quote at you.

...I'm so sorry.

Lemonade Lady
03-28-2008, 06:25 PM
It is a fantastic film. It really is. But Holy Grail is damn near perfect.

It's not even that religion is taboo. I don't view the film as offensive at all.

I don't either, but it caused a major cafuffle at the time of its release.

FredC
03-28-2008, 06:27 PM
It is a fantastic film. It really is. But Holy Grail is damn near perfect.

I don't either, but it caused a major cafuffle at the time of its release.

I know that. But that's not why I find humor in it. I mean, it does poke a few holes in the concept of religion. But I never really viewed it as "HAHAH! Monty Python's sticking it to god! Take that, you bearded old deity!"

Really, I'm not sure what people got their short pants in a tangle about back then though. It's weird.

Drkemerld73
03-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Every time I see you online I want to post some Twin Peaks quote at you.

...I'm so sorry.

Ah don't be. :D

FredC
03-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Ah don't be. :D

...I'm confused as to whether you noticed the obscure Twin Peaks quote in the above post of mine.

If not... you're going back to Missoula.

Captain Bloodclot
03-28-2008, 06:31 PM
This new learning amazes me. Explain to me again how we know the world to be Banana shaped...

And who are you, who is so wise in the ways of science?

Drkemerld73
03-28-2008, 06:34 PM
...I'm confused as to whether you noticed the obscure Twin Peaks quote in the above post of mine.

If not... you're going back to Missoula.

Which post? You made several. ;)

FredC
03-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Which post? You made several. ;)

The one directed to you.

The "I'm so sorry."

...old waiter right after the Missoula scene.

...in case you were wondering.

Drkemerld73
03-28-2008, 06:39 PM
The one directed to you.

The "I'm so sorry."

...old waiter right after the Missoula scene.

...in case you were wondering.

:lol:

I did miss that.

Admittedly the quotes I paid the most attention to were Cooper's and Albert's. :thumb:

Of course every time I put the "thumbs up smiley" in a post I can't help but think of Cooper doing it. :D

FredC
03-28-2008, 06:42 PM

I did miss that.

Admittedly the quotes I paid the most attention to were Cooper's and Albert's. :thumb:

Of course every time I put the "thumbs up smiley" in a post I can't help but think of Cooper doing it. :D

http://as.wn.com/i/0c/c80e37675f80e2.jpg

joespam
03-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Meaning of Life has this: "It's a Mr. Death or something - he's come about the reaping." (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=YoBTsMJ4jNk)

Drkemerld73
03-28-2008, 06:43 PM
http://as.wn.com/i/0c/c80e37675f80e2.jpg

Wait... I can hear you!

FredC
03-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Meaning of Life has this: "It's a Mr. Death or something - he's come about the reaping." (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=YoBTsMJ4jNk)

I didn't even eat the mousse!

FredC
03-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Wait... I can hear you!

I heard you again! I heard you again!

Drkemerld73
03-28-2008, 06:45 PM
I heard you again! I heard you again!

And to not get totally off track...

I think he said "God bless the cheesemakers..."

FredC
03-28-2008, 07:04 PM

And to not get totally off track...

I think he said "God bless the cheesemakers..."

He's havin' a go at the flowers now...

Drkemerld73
03-28-2008, 07:41 PM
He's havin' a go at the flowers now...

Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh

FredC
03-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh

No, no, it's AUGGGGGGGGGGGH. In the back of the throat.

NickT
03-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Yeah, that's a plus on that one. Pretty much nobody mentions anything about that film other than the lines "A tiger?! In Africa!?" and occasionally "The Machine that goes PING!"

Which are simple lines, instead of a whole routine.

To be honest, we are completely mad. We escaped from an insane asylum and made this costume out of used cereal packets.
Erm, waffer theen mint?

FredC
03-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Erm, waffer theen mint?

Ah, forgot that one.

But I mean, that's a really, really, small quote.

It's only waffer theen.

Drkemerld73
03-28-2008, 07:49 PM
No, no, it's AUGGGGGGGGGGGH. In the back of the throat.

It's only a model.

NickT
03-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Ah, forgot that one.

But I mean, that's a really, really, small quote.

It's only waffer theen.
:)

I used to love HG, but the quoting did hurt it for me. Not quoting specifically, at the right moment that can be brilliant. No, it's the people who then finish the scene, at which point the conversation is dead and your well timed quote has failed.

FredC
03-28-2008, 08:13 PM
:)I used to love HG, but the quoting did hurt it for me. Not quoting specifically, at the right moment that can be brilliant. No, it's the people who then finish the scene, at which point the conversation is dead and your well timed quote has failed.

Right, right. I mean, I know enough Python to finish scenes and sketches myself. I don't, but I could... :?

Matt C. Linton
03-28-2008, 08:25 PM
I can never accurately quote movies, even when I've seen them several times. Holy Grail quoters annoy the hell out of me, though they've been overtaken by Austin Powers quoters.

Colin Boylan
03-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Haven't watched it in year but watched it an obscene amount of times in college.

Lemonade Lady
03-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Austin Powers quoters.

What?? They aren't dead yet? Ugh. As bad as Ali G and Borat.

NickT
03-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Right, right. I mean, I know enough Python to finish scenes and sketches myself. I don't, but I could... :?
It's odd when you think about it, it's not something that happens with every movie. People are safe quoting Star Wars and not getting this, for example.

FredC
03-28-2008, 08:36 PM
It's odd when you think about it, it's not something that happens with every movie. People are safe quoting Star Wars and not getting this, for example.

Well, Star Wars doesn't really have a comedic element to get run into the ground.

Hearing a line again isn't that annoying... but hearing a funny line over and over til all humor is beaten out of it is. Especially when it's the whole routine.

Although I might have to applaud anyone who would ever memorize and act out the "We wait here, even if you come and get him" bit from Holy Grail. That bit has always had a distinctly vaudeville feel to it, and I've always found it funny. But no one ever quotes it.

NickT
03-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Well, Star Wars doesn't really have a comedic element to get run into the ground.

Hearing a line again isn't that annoying... but hearing a funny line over and over til all humor is beaten out of it is. Especially when it's the whole routine.

Although I might have to applaud anyone who would ever memorize and act out the "We wait here, even if you come and get him" bit from Holy Grail. That bit has always had a distinctly vaudeville feel to it, and I've always found it funny. But no one ever quotes it.
Yeah, but SW could be twisted into humour, since quite often the quote was for humour.

But even in comedy, never really happens outside of HG. Ace Ventura is very quotable, got quoted a lot at my school. You never got a random quote that then turned into a five minute one man show by someone else other than the initial quoter.

FredC
03-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah, but SW could be twisted into humour, since quite often the quote was for humour.

But even in comedy, never really happens outside of HG. Ace Ventura is very quotable, got quoted a lot at my school. You never got a random quote that then turned into a five minute one man show by someone else other than the initial quoter.

True. In fact, MP is really the only thing I can think of this happens with off the top of my head...

NickT
03-28-2008, 08:44 PM
True. In fact, MP is really the only thing I can think of this happens with off the top of my head...
Why couldn't it happen to a franchise I don't like? :)

FredC
03-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Why couldn't it happen to a franchise I don't like? :)

You know, though, it might be because Python was a type of humor that built off of itself. It had jokes that weren't just single lines. If you do just one line in a great sketch you feel like you're leaving something out, almost. Like, "oh, but they should really know this part too" maybe.

But Ace Ventura, Austin Powers, all these other comedies now are very much non-routine oriented. They are sort of Point A to point B. That's one segment/sketch type thing. Python did the whole alphabet before finishing a film or show. There are some sketches you could see working as full length films, almost. Which I think it what most comedies now are. They stretch them to enormous lengths just to get the things finished.

I run rings round ya logically.

Ashwin Pande
03-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Ehhh...

It's only a model.

c. page
03-28-2008, 09:08 PM

no, they just get you telling them how rubbish they are at quoting star wars.

;)