PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with Firelord sculpt??

bobilero
03-28-2008, 01:41 PM
As so many members already was spoken about the Firelord bust looks to old , skinny,super eye brows...etc
This is the question.
Will you be happy (means buying..) with the actual sculpt ??
It's this acclamed character finally well represented?

moon_knight1971
03-28-2008, 01:53 PM
He seems kinda lanky to my for a Herald:scared:

Jesse321
03-28-2008, 01:56 PM
My suggestions (for what they're worth) this is a REALLY quick job with a crappy program I have here at work ... and I forgot to fix the elbows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Jesse321/firelord-1.jpg

stormshadow75x
03-28-2008, 02:05 PM
I like the changes to the eyebrows... that's my biggest gripe I can live with everything else...

boobhound
03-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Way to lean. Needs some steroids. Beefen up.

Tyler
03-28-2008, 02:30 PM
The image on the right looks much better. There's no reason for him to have so many wrinkles on his face. Nice job even with a not-so-good program at work. If the sculpt looked like the image on the right, I'd be MUCH happier with it and wouldn't even think twice about buying it.

rome
03-28-2008, 02:31 PM
My suggestions (for what they're worth) this is a REALLY quick job with a crappy program I have here at work ... and I forgot to fix the elbows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Jesse321/firelord-1.jpg

Already these small changes improve the piece tremedously.
It has been stated by the sculptor that this piece looks much better in person. So I will personaly wait (for more pics, with staff) before I place any judgement.
However, looking at the pictures,..I must say I am not happy.
It is important to reiterate that this isn't about sculpting ability of proffesor oreo but rather about capturing the character.
Professor, you clearly are a very talented sculptor (I wouldn't say so if I didn't mean it), so please take these responses from everyone for what they are. It's all about getting the character right with us BD fans.

jesse if you could thicken up and shorten up the arms a bit more that would be awesome. It always surprises me that every once and a while randy will let a piece (with obvious issues) just slip by. I mean, usually he is so on top of the kinds of tweaks Jesse made it's not even funny. This should have been a no brainer for anyone looking at it ( I said so when the firs WIP pics showed up), yet it slips by the master. weird.

Weedo10
03-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Just wish he was FULLSIZED:crazy:

bobilero
03-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Really the changes did by Jesse give him some youth and health , but i think it can be soo much better.It's a very loved character, not a poor seller guy...so it should be PERFECT;-)

MARVELRULEZZ
03-28-2008, 03:22 PM
I've already voiced my opinion on this on the other thread - and no, I'm not happy with it - apart from the age thing going on I've also noticed that the white flame belt at the bottom is FAR to wide...

Sorry to rant, and no offence meant to the sculptor - just important points that need pointing out.

Hyperion
03-28-2008, 03:29 PM
I think it great...very unique perspective.

Keep it!!

Armitage
03-28-2008, 03:31 PM
No.

HoldyourfireAl
03-28-2008, 03:47 PM
You know what? It's clearly a great sculpt. It just looks more like fine art than Marvel art.

HoldyourfireAl
03-28-2008, 03:55 PM
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk180/HoldyourfireAl/Ideas%20for%20Bowen%20Designs/f443aeef.jpg

I'm surprised this John Buscema FL was not used as reference!

Randy Bowen
03-28-2008, 04:03 PM
It's amazing how peoples perceptions can be so different, myself included. I thought Walter's sculpt was one of the most realistic looking pieces I've seen. I'm not a big Firelord fan, so I guess this is why it didn't bother me that he looked a little different from the source material.

For what it's worth- Walter, I think you did a great job.

rome
03-28-2008, 04:11 PM
It's amazing how peoples perceptions can be so different, myself included. I thought Walter's sculpt was one of the most realistic looking pieces I've seen. I'm not a big Firelord fan, so I guess this is why it didn't bother me that he looked a little different from the source material.

so Randy, does this mean you don't plan on making any changes? just curious.

MARVELRULEZZ
03-28-2008, 04:11 PM

But that's just it Randy - the reason why your Marvel line has been so successful is because BD's sculpts DO faithfully represent the comic book characters!! (unlike many other superhero sculpting companies out there!)

HoldyourfireAl
03-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Maybe this sculptor is too good for us morons? It is truely like a fine art piece.

Armitage
03-28-2008, 04:19 PM

His sculpt is realistic. It's like something Alex Ross would do if he could sculpt.
It's very good, but I personally don't feel it fits in with the characteristics of the line. The complexity of his sculpt is an example for great anatomy. But the other busts in the line have a much simpler quality and are more in keeping with the source material. I'm glad he's using his techniques to show the talented sculptor he is, I don't think any of us doubt his talent.

boobhound
03-28-2008, 04:46 PM

Hi, Randy. I'm not a huge Firelord fan myself. I was going to get a mb because he is one of G's heralds. That being said, I don't see anyone saying it's not a great sculpt. The artist IS AMAZINGLY TALENTED! I just think the whole sculpt needs a touch more mass to it. Jmho.

It is a work of art!! :)

Googam
03-28-2008, 04:55 PM
I will be getting this one for sure!

:foom:

spawnyvsbatman
03-28-2008, 05:50 PM
I think is an amazing sculpt and dead on remember this is a mini bust and firelord was an average human size:
Height: 6 ft. 4 in.
Weight: 220 lbs. (Earth gravity)
Eyes: White
Hair: Yellow
Unusual features: Firelord's hair is tinged with cosmic flame.

Looking at those stats Walter's sculpt is dead on!!!!!

sPAWNY

SFDaredevil
03-28-2008, 06:01 PM
He looks way too old with the lines on his face.

chaline2k4
03-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Incredible sculpt...especially in the face, very realistic looking, very stoic. I'm not familiar with the character so looks perfect to me but I can see the a little bit of the age thing people are referring to here...IMO wouldn't touch the face but maybe eliminating some wrinkles under the jaw and through the throat would help the pespective...just a thought.

Professor Oreo
03-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Hey guys, Walter here (the sculptor) I just wanted to say that I totally understand where you're coming from and I'm not getting my feelings hurt by any of the negative comments about the piece.

I'm a huge Firelord nerd with a great love and respect for the character, so I really worked my butt off to try and deliver a great piece. Firelord's look varies greatly depending on which artist is depicting him and I tried to be as true to each one of those as possible in the sculpture. So please don't think that this is a case where the artist didn't know anything about the character and just decided to sculpt his "grandpa on fire" as someone described it. ;)

I think what also needs to be realised is that all you are seeing here is just one angle of a partially assembled, partially painted piece. He's not fully seated into the base so he's pitching backwards - you're actually looking at him from below rather than straight on - which is causing some of the problems that a lot of you are noting. He really is a lot beefier than he looks here, His traps are disappearing at this angle making his neck look longer, the belt looks too wide because he's not fully seated into the base, etc. (although the size of his belt varied greatly from artist to artist and the Bryne version sometimes was even wider than you see it here)

The lines in his face and neck are really a great deal more subtle than they look in these shots as well. I think when all is said and done and the paint up is complete you'll see that he looks very much looks like the regal emmisary of a destroyer of worlds which was my ultimate goal from the get go. ;)

boobhound
03-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Hey guys, Walter here (the sculptor) I just wanted to say that I totally understand where you're coming from and I'm not getting my feelings hurt by any of the negative comments about the piece.

I'm a huge Firelord nerd with a great love and respect for the character, so I really worked my butt off to try and deliver a great piece. Firelord's look varies greatly depending on which artist is depicting him and I tried to be as true to each one of those as possible in the sculpture. So please don't think that this is a case where the artist didn't know anything about the character and just decided to sculpt his "grandpa on fire" as someone described it. ;)

I think what also needs to be realised is that all you are seeing here is just one angle of a partially assembled, partially painted piece. He's not fully seated into the base so he's pitching backwards - you're actually looking at him from below rather than straight on - which is causing some of the problems that a lot of you are noting. He really is a lot beefier than he looks here, His traps are disappearing at this angle making his neck look longer, the belt looks too wide because he's not fully seated into the base, etc. (although the size of his belt varied greatly from artist to artist and the Bryne version sometimes was even wider than you see it here)

The lines in his face and neck are really a great deal more subtle than they look in these shots as well. I think when all is said and done and the paint up is complete you'll see that he looks very much looks like the regal emmisary of a destroyer of worlds which was my ultimate goal from the get go. ;)

Glad to know that none of the comments got to you! We can be a fickle bunch that's for sure!!! It really is a magnecifent(sic) work of art! Looking foward to more pieces from you...........:smile:

Professor Oreo
03-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Glad to know that none of the comments got to you! We can be a fickle bunch that's for sure!!! It really is a magnecifent(sic) work of art! Looking foward to more pieces from you...........:smile:

Naw, we all just love the hobby and I can appreciate that.

Thanks man! I look forward to doing as many pieces as Randy asks me too! ;-)

Helder M.
03-28-2008, 08:39 PM
there is a few things that is for sure in life , one of them is : It is impossible to please every one ! How ever congratulations Walter , great job .

Helder

Surfer Dude
03-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Ok, the grandpa on fire thing was a little harsh (although there is a resemblance, no criticism at all) but you know what, I will be the first one in line to buy this bust. You know why? Because Walter has defended this thing so much that he truly believes it is the best representation of the sculpt and I appreciate that. If the artist and Randy both say its a fantastic sculpt, then I for one can't argue that and the passion of Walter is uncanny and that makes me want the sculpt more than ever now.

agent of weapon x
03-28-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm digging it.

Meteor Man
03-28-2008, 10:08 PM
I've already voiced my opinion on this on the other thread - and no, I'm not happy with it - apart from the age thing going on I've also noticed that the white flame belt at the bottom is FAR to wide...

Sorry to rant, and no offence meant to the sculptor - just important points that need pointing out.

Yeah, I noticed this as well...

daveyyojimbo
03-29-2008, 01:21 AM
You know what? It's clearly a great sculpt. It just looks more like fine art than Marvel art.

I totally agree with this. It really is more reminiscent of a fine art piece expressing a singular artistic vision. Unfortunately (in this case) that's not why I buy most of these sculpts. I buy them because they resemble very closely the characters as I remember them from the comics themselves.

Without a doubt, a beautiful sculpt, it's just doesn't resemble the classic source material enough IMO.

Quicksilver
03-29-2008, 03:43 AM
My only complaint is that it isn't full-size

Primal
03-29-2008, 04:33 AM
Great sculpt but just wish the body were thicker to match the size of the head.
Also the hair flame needs to be filled out more.

A Herald of Galactus needs to be more impressive body-wise.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3100/firelordanihi7.gif

Crazy 88
03-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Great sculpt but just wish the body were thicker to match the size of the head.
Also the hair flame needs to be filled out more.

A Herald of Galactus needs to be more impressive body-wise.

But looking at the Sliver Surfer FS, I get the feeling that this firelord bust is about the same frame as the surfer. Not overly large but packs enough power.

Jack8022
03-29-2008, 06:58 AM
While the original sculpt looks OK, I think some of the detail does need to be softened in the face to make him look a bit younger. The rest of him looks good.

CromVABeach
03-29-2008, 07:52 AM
I like the original sculpt. I'm not 100% sure, but I recall a couple of issues where he was shown as lean, rather than the traditional superhero physique. I also like the expression, it has an arrogance about it. I always considered Firelord to be the Prince Namor of the spaceways.

I think the angle of the picture of the doesn't do the face justice. It might look thicker from a straight-on angle.

As far as the base, I think it would be cooler if Firelord's flame base was coming out a burning planet. I think it would tie-in better with his personality and history. I also think it looks like he has two bases on top of each other at the moment. They just don't complement each other.

I also think if Firelord was shown with his fire-staff it would help. It is his defining trait, and I think it would help with completing the full impact of a beautiful piece.

inkfire00
03-29-2008, 08:02 AM
I like it!

Hypersom
03-29-2008, 09:04 AM
I totally agree with this. It really is more reminiscent of a fine art piece expressing a singular artistic vision. Unfortunately (in this case) that's not why I buy most of these sculpts. I buy them because they resemble very closely the characters as I remember them from the comics themselves.

Without a doubt, a beautiful sculpt, it's just doesn't resemble the classic source material enough IMO.

I also think if Firelord was shown with his fire-staff it would help. It is his defining trait, and I think it would help with completing the full impact of a beautiful piece.

A great sculpt, no doubt, but not the character I remember.

And if Terrax can wield his axe, surely Firelord can wield his staff. (or did Terrax just threaten you into letting him keep it... :lol: )

And is it true that The Silver Surfer has been exiled from this Phase? Are you seriously telling me we won't have a Surfer bust with arms, holding his board???? You are doing your level best to really piss off Galactus, aren't you??? :lol:

tigertank1225
03-29-2008, 10:48 AM

Can it be that Walter did to good of a job. The sculpt almost looks like a real person. Reminds me of an Alex ross art. It seems people would want him to look a little more comic like. I myself included. This still will not stop me from adding this to my display. :rock:

Walter your talent and craftsmanship is out of this world. I would kill to have a fraction of your talent.

Tyler
03-29-2008, 10:49 AM

My brother and I were looking at the sneak last night and he (also a huge Bowen collector) commented that he thought it was one of the best MB sculpts ever. It's true, the piece is incredibly detailed and it's obvious Walter is an amazingly talented sculptor. My bro thinks this will be one that will quickly grow on people and before long become one of the most popular MBs ever. I'm a much bigger fan of Firelord than my brother though, and although I agree with him on the quality of the sculpt and the talents of the sculptor, my only real gripe with the piece is that Walter made the character look a bit older than he should and that the neck seems a bit long. With some very minor tweaks, this can be a piece that both Firelord fans and ALL Bowen collectors can really get behind.

HoldyourfireAl
03-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Naw, we all just love the hobby and I can appreciate that.

Thanks man! I look forward to doing as many pieces as Randy asks me too! ;-)

You're a good sport! :)

Tony Coca
03-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Keep it as is.Just add legs.:D

ant-man
03-29-2008, 12:38 PM
You are all insane...u get PREMIER sculptors...ARTISTS!!...and all the fan boys...say this..and ohhh that...damn....go get a HH statue than...this is art..in its true form..really ...incredible piece....that conveys the character perfectly...

I say leave as is...i dont know squat about the character...but will be getting this because on a pure artistic feel..it was nailed..and LOVE it...

Randy...u are doing it right.....

this is great!

rome
03-29-2008, 01:06 PM
You are all insane...u get PREMIER sculptors...ARTISTS!!...and all the fan boys...say this..and ohhh that...damn....go get a HH statue than...this is art..in its true form..really ...incredible piece....that conveys the character perfectly...

I say leave as is...i dont know squat about the character...but will be getting this because on a pure artistic feel..it was nailed..and LOVE it...

Randy...u are doing it right.....

this is great!

I'm sorry to say this, but since you "don't know squat about the character" can't you at least respect and/or appreciate the opinions of those who do.

to label people who apparently know more about a subject than you do "insane" is a bit to enthusiatic don't you think? wouldn't you have the same reaction if it was about a character that you not only knew but cared about?

No one is putting the sculpt down,..we are just expressing our observations about what we see and what we know.

btw,..I hope this doesn't sound to harsh or anything. I don't mean to be. I just wanted to respond.

Ein ? What a Stein !!
03-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Randy, the first one w/o changes looks the best. I mean it is more realistic!

bobilero
03-29-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm sorry to say this, but since you "don't know squat about the character" can't you at least respect and/or appreciate the opinions of those who do.

to label people who apparently know more about a subject than you do "insane" is a bit to enthusiatic don't you think? wouldn't you have the same reaction if it was about a character that you not only knew but cared about?

No one is putting the sculpt down,..we are just expressing our observations about what we see and what we know.

btw,..I hope this doesn't sound to harsh or anything. I don't mean to be. I just wanted to respond.

Totally true Rome , anyway ...Ant-Man is a classic on this kind of answers or apreciations... i still remember when he says "Don't you see it guys?? There will be never phase 4!!" a few hours later Randy post that the contract was succesfully signed...

Back in to the sculpt, no one here says it is a bad sculpt or else , so PLEASE people don't take it this way! As final buyers we just want to get our loved character as good and near to the comic image that all have in our memories as we/Randy can .

rilynil
03-29-2008, 03:12 PM
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3100/firelordanihi7.gif

I think these are some good improvements. I especially like the hair, which is bigger and seems to swirl more.
But I like the original sculpt as well.

rome
03-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Totally true Rome , anyway ...Ant-Man is a classic on this kind of answers or apreciations... i still remember when he says "Don't you see it guys?? There will be never phase 4!!" a few hours later Randy post that the contract was succesfully signed...

Back in to the sculpt, no one here says it is a bad sculpt or else , so PLEASE people don't take it this way! As final buyers we just want to get our loved character as good and near to the comic image that all have in our memories as we/Randy can .

yup.

ant-man
03-29-2008, 04:03 PM

Ok..OK...i know i mentioned i dont know the character...but..as a Comic Fan for over 30 years..i DO have some kind of idea of what the character is...
and..this is a beautiful sculpt that imo DOES capture the character and gives him a personality that many MB dont.

and ...YES i was the one who said there will be no Phz. 4..and YES u can thank me for nudging Marvel to re-up with Bowen Designs...LOL....

now...i know i sounded a lil harsh prior...but ..im just stunned that this sculpt is critiqued do harsh? Other companies dont even come close to Bowen's sculpts. and this is perfect.

now..please its my opinion...and i apologize for being on the harsh side earlier...

bobilero
03-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Ok..OK...i know i mentioned i dont know the character...but..as a Comic Fan for over 30 years..i DO have some kind of idea of what the character is...
and..this is a beautiful sculpt that imo DOES capture the character and gives him a personality that many MB dont.

and ...YES i was the one who said there will be no Phz. 4..and YES u can thank me for nudging Marvel to re-up with Bowen Designs...LOL....

now...i know i sounded a lil harsh prior...but ..im just stunned that this sculpt is critiqued do harsh? Other companies dont even come close to Bowen's sculpts. and this is perfect.

now..please its my opinion...and i apologize for being on the harsh side earlier...

Ok , no prob :surrend:
But again i have to say WE ARE NOT doubt about if the sculpture is good or not , obviously its an amazing sculpt, we are talking about how good Firelord is represented by the sculpt as we know him from the comic pages, Buscema , Ron Lim....
For example , someone can do an amazing statue of Thor but having short hair instead of goldie and long.Well , doesn't matter how well its sculpted on face, armour , or muscles , people will be dissapointed about the short hair cause is not the associated image they have to Thor.

Achiever
03-29-2008, 07:28 PM
It's a fabulous sculpt, but to me it just doesn't fit the Bowen house style. It's almost TOO detailed. Too many wrinkles in the face. The hair that Primal tweaked in Photoshop is way better. The big flame eyebrows are throwing me off. They just make him look like an old man. Hopefully we'll get to see some more pics at different angles to get a better idea.

The thing is, there is some truth to what they say about first impressions...

rome
03-29-2008, 08:23 PM
one of the ways that I can tell if a sculpt works or not is the response it gets from the collectors.
Even when I personaly think a sculpt is spectacular, if 60% or more of us don't like it (for whatever reason) that tells me something is wrong.
from an objective POV if that many people don't like it,..it has failed to meet the BD standard.

IMHO ( and this is my personal POV) the "BD standard" is to have 90%+ positive rating. so 10% negative is fine (there will always someone unhappy). 20% negative means the piece is clearly pretty good, though not perfect. 30% dissaproval says, there is clearly an issue, but not enough perhaps to cancel the piece. 40% dissaproval,..we have a problem.

right now we are at an 89% "don't like" response. IOW we have a huge problem.

However, professor oreo (the sculptor) has heard our concerns and assures us that what we see isn't what the piece actually is. He tells us that our specific concerns aren't warranted because the actual piece doesn't have those problems when seen in person. that is a good thing.

I will wait for better pics with a completely done piece and hope that he is correct.

rome
03-29-2008, 10:27 PM
But that's just it Randy - the reason why your Marvel line has been so successful is because BD's sculpts DO faithfully represent the comic book characters!! (unlike many other superhero sculpting companies out there!)

I forgot to say say well said,..on this post.

Jesse321
03-29-2008, 10:29 PM
The thing is, there is some truth to what they say about first impressions...
You never get a second chance to make a good one? :scared:

Just in case .. that is a joke ........................ maybe :mrgreen:

rilynil
03-29-2008, 11:14 PM
I believe one of the reasons I like this Firelord sculpt is because it's not a stereotypical body-builder-on-steroids physique with a stereotypical square-jawed Superman-clone face. Plus, I think the fact that this is an incomplete sculpt can't be overstated. A sculpt is not always simply the sum of its parts. I bet the addition of the staff will add a lot to the total effect. Does the pictures make Firelord appear slim with an over-30 face? Sure. But if Prof. Oreo says it's not the case when you see the sculpt in person, I believe him. :)

Professor Oreo
03-30-2008, 12:28 AM
one of the ways that I can tell if a sculpt works or not is the response it gets from the collectors.
Even when I personaly think a sculpt is spectacular, if 60% or more of us don't like it (for whatever reason) that tells me something is wrong.
from an objective POV if that many people don't like it,..it has failed to meet the BD standard.

IMHO ( and this is my personal POV) the "BD standard" is to have 90%+ positive rating. so 10% negative is fine (there will always someone unhappy). 20% negative means the piece is clearly pretty good, though not perfect. 30% dissaproval says, there is clearly an issue, but not enough perhaps to cancel the piece. 40% dissaproval,..we have a problem.

right now we are at an 89% "don't like" response. IOW we have a huge problem.

However, professor oreo (the sculptor) has heard our concerns and assures us that what we see isn't what the piece actually is. He tells us that our specific concerns aren't warranted because the actual piece doesn't have those problems when seen in person. that is a good thing.

I will wait for better pics with a completely done piece and hope that he is correct.

Rome, I'm not discounting your opinion I'm just wondering where this number comes from? So far I only see that 66% of everyone hates my guts. Lets not be too hastey pushing my approval rating worse than President Bush's just yet. :lol:

MARVELRULEZZ
03-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Rome, I'm not discounting your opinion I'm just wondering where this number comes from? So far I only see that 66% of everyone hates my guts. Lets not be too hastey pushing my approval rating worse than President Bush's just yet. :lol:

Hey

From reading your posts - it looks like you're the type of person that listens and takes peoples crit's/feedback on board - I'm happy with what you've said in your responses, look forward to the updates!!

MARVELRULEZZ
03-30-2008, 02:35 AM
I forgot to say say well said,..on this post.

Well thanks!! :-)

rome
03-30-2008, 09:12 AM

You know what,..I stand corrected. And I apologize. I was going from memory of the last time I had checked the results. I should have just looked up to check again.

hey keep it up, because the reverse is also true for me. IOW, even if I don't think a piece is accurate, if the vast majority thinks its good,..then I have to choice but to acknowledge that something must be right.

Professor Oreo
03-30-2008, 02:13 PM
You know what,..I stand corrected. And I apologize. I was going from memory of the last time I had checked the results. I should have just looked up to check again.

hey keep it up, because the reverse is also true for me. IOW, even if I don't think a piece is accurate, if the vast majority thinks its good,..then I have to choice but to acknowledge that something must be right.

No problem man. We're all on the same page. Everybody wants the piece to be the best that it can be and nobody wants that more than me. ;)

daveyyojimbo
03-30-2008, 10:10 PM

Just to be clear (kidding or not), none of us being critical of this piece hate you and the way you're talking it in stride obviously speaks very well for so you. If I had poured that much detail into something, I probably woudn't be as cool about it. Your talent speaks for itself, the problem is the piece doesn't resemble the source material IMHO which is what most of us have come to expect.

No hard feelings I hope.

Tyler
03-31-2008, 10:04 AM
Another issue with the Firelord bust (after re-reading the Infinity Gaunlet) is that Firelord has pointy ears, like an elf, in the comics. Every reference I could find of Firelord shows him with pointy ears. So in the least the bust should be tweaked for the ears. Walter did a great job with this sculpt, but I wonder how much he referred to the character's comic-book roots. Just referring to a picture of Firelord should have made it obvious that the character has pointy ears.

Professor Oreo
03-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Another issue with the Firelord bust (after re-reading the Infinity Gaunlet) is that Firelord has pointy ears, like an elf, in the comics. Every reference I could find of Firelord shows him with pointy ears. So in the least the bust should be tweaked for the ears. Walter did a great job with this sculpt, but I wonder how much he referred to the character's comic-book roots. Just referring to a picture of Firelord should have made it obvious that the character has pointy ears.

Oh if it were only that easy!

The non-pointy ears thing was purely a Marvel decision. I originally sculpted him with pointy ears (you can see that in the early WIP pictures) and Marvel said later that the ears needed to be round, so I had to grind them down pretty much the night before I delivered the piece. Totally not my fault on that one as I much preferred the pointed ears because that's how Ron Lim drew him and that's probably my favorite version of the character to date.

But if Marvel says no pointed ears then who am I to tell them that they're wrong? :surrend:

Tyler
03-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Oh if it were only that easy!

The non-pointy ears thing was purely a Marvel decision. I originally sculpted him with pointy ears (you can see that in the early WIP pictures) and Marvel said later that the ears needed to be round, so I had to grind them down pretty much the night before I delivered the piece. Totally not my fault on that one as I much preferred the pointed ears because that's how Ron Lim drew him and that's probably my favorite version of the character to date.

But if Marvel says no pointed ears then who am I to tell them that they're wrong? :surrend:

Wow, didn't realize that was the case. Bummer, because I'm with you Walter, I like him better with pointy ears. By the way, even though there have been some critiques of this piece, you should know that my brother (a HUGE Bowen fan but not the world's biggest Firelord fan) saw the sneak and said he thought it was the best bust Bowen Designs had ever done (not to discount Randy's own sculpts, which are amazing). So, even though I'm with others in thinking he needs to be younged down a bit, for the most part the sculpt is VERY impressive. The more I've looked at it, the more it's grown on me. In other words, I hope the tweaks being made aren't too broad. 90% of this piece is unparalleled in its detailing and appearance. I have a feeling with time it will become one of the most popular and talked about busts in the Bowen line.

sambofred
03-31-2008, 11:24 AM
I like the firelord bust myself. The more heralds the better.