PDA

View Full Version : The season three finale of BSG is awesome. *spoilers*

Albert
03-28-2008, 11:02 AM
I remember watching it almost exactly a year ago and I was like, whoa, this is awesome. Then I rewatched it last night on DVD ($36.29 at Costco, go America!). Verdict: Still awesome!

Particularly awesome:

Lee's speech he gives on the stand during Baltar's trial.

From - http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Crossroads%2C_Part_II

Did the defendant make mistakes? Sure. He did. Serious mistakes. But did he actually commit any crimes? Did he commit treason? No. I mean, it was an impossible situation. When the Cylons arrived, what could he possibly do? What could anyone have done? (looking at the audience) Ask yourself, what would you have done? (looking at the judges) What would you have done? If he had refused to surrender, the Cylons would have probably nuked the planet right then and there. So did he appear to cooperate with the Cylons? Sure. So did hundreds of others. What's the difference between him and them? The President issued a blanket pardon. They were all forgiven, no questions asked. Colonel Tigh. Colonel Tigh used suicide bombers, killed dozens of people. Forgiven. Lieutenant Agathon and Chief Tyrol. They murdered an officer on the Pegasus. Forgiven. The Admiral. The Admiral instigated a military coup d'état against the President. Forgiven. And me? Well, where do I begin? I shot down a civilian passenger ship, the Olympic Carrier. Over a thousand people on board. Forgiven. I raised my weapon to a superior officer, committed an act of mutiny. Forgiven. And then on the very day when Baltar surrendered to those Cylons, I as commander of Pegasus jumped away. I left everybody on that planet, alone, undefended, for months. I even tried to persuade the Admiral never to return, to abandon you all there for good. If I'd had my way nobody would have made it off that planet. I'm the coward. I'm the traitor. I'm forgiven. I'd say we are very forgiving of mistakes. We make our own laws now; our own justice. And we've been pretty creative in finding ways to let people off the hook for everything from theft to murder. And we've had to be, because...because we're not a civilization anymore. We are a gang, and we are on the run, and we have to fight to survive. We have to break rules. We have to bend laws. We have to improvise. But not this time, no. Not this time. Not for Gaius Baltar. (looking at Baltar) No, you...you have to die, because, well, because we don't like you very much. Because you're arrogant. Because you're weak. Because you're a coward, and we, the mob, want to throw you out of the airlock, because you didn't stand up to the Cylons and get yourself killed in the process. That's justice now. You should have been killed back on New Caprica, but since you had the temerity to live, we're going to execute you now. That's justice. [...] This case...this case is built on emotion, on anger, bitterness, vengeance. But most of all, it is built on shame. (looking at his father) It's about the shame of what we did to ourselves back on that planet. It's about the guilt of those of us who ran away. Who ran away. And we're trying to dump all that guilt and all that shame on one man and then flush him out the airlock, and hope that just gets rid of it all. So that we could live with ourselves. But that won't work. That won't work. That's not justice; not to me. Not to me.

Also awesome: The scene where Tigh, Tory, Anders and the Chief realize they're Cylons.

Also also awesome: All of the lyric references to "All Along the Watchtower" in the dialogue of those characters.

In conclusion, one of the most awesome hours of TV ever.

JoeE
03-28-2008, 11:09 AM
It's listed as a "Long Wait" on Netflix.

Fuck. I was hoping to be caught up in time for season 4.

Albert
03-28-2008, 11:12 AM

Fuck. I was hoping to be caught up in time for season 4.

You can come over and watch it at my house, as long as you bring the Chex Mix.

The Human Target
03-28-2008, 11:16 AM
God, it was such a long time ago my BSG hard-on has become flaccid and cold.

I remember being pumped for All Along the Watchtower, and then bummed when the producers said it really didn't mean anything and it was just something recognizable they used.

Ben
03-28-2008, 11:42 AM
God, it was such a long time ago my BSG hard-on has become flaccid and cold.

I remember being pumped for All Along the Watchtower, and then bummed when the producers said it really didn't mean anything and it was just something recognizable they used.If you're not excited about the new season, then you were never really a fan of the show.

The Human Target
03-28-2008, 11:49 AM
If you're not excited about the new season, then you were never really a fan of the show.

And move the fuck to Canada!!!

Heh, I'm sure I will be excited after the first episode, but for now I'm so out of the loop its kinda meaningless to me.

Bear in mind, I haven't watched an episode in a year.

ClintP
03-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I remember watching it almost exactly a year ago and I was like, whoa, this is awesome. Then I rewatched it last night on DVD ($36.29 at Costco, go America!). Verdict: Still awesome!

:rofl:

Also, it is sad that it was a year ago that the season ended and we are just now getting more.

Rafiennes
03-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Watching Razor really got me excited again
And seeing the season 4 previews online has me psyched
And the reach-around last night got me aroused
But that has nothing to do with BSG

The Human Target
03-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Watching Razor really got me excited again
And seeing the season 4 previews online has me psyched
And the reach-around last night got me aroused
But that has nothing to do with BSG

I forgot all about Razor.

Which should tell you something about what I thought of it. :)

Albert
03-28-2008, 12:43 PM
:rofl:

Also, it is sad that it was a year ago that the season ended and we are just now getting more.

What's sad is that this is the final season. I know, I know, it's good that they're wrapping it up the way they want to, and it's what the producers want to do, we'll be guaranteed a real "ending" - but the bottom line is, even though intellectually I know it's the right move, selfishly I wish it would go on forever if it kept being this good and I would continue to have new episodes to look forward to.

d.j.
04-02-2008, 09:05 AM
I forgot all about Razor.

Which should tell you something about what I thought of it. :)

I hate to agree, but I just watched it and agree with you... What the fuck was that? The ending to season 3 had me all insanely excited, but Razor... it doesn't fit in tone, style, and continuity. Not really, unless I'm missing some things.

Evan the Shaggy
04-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Just finished this last night.

God damn, I jumped out of the seat with this scene,

"Don't worry. I'm back. I've been to earth....and I'm going to take us there."

As for who the 5th member of the "5 of 5" may be:

I'd put all my money on Apollo. Everything is pointing to him being it.

Taxman
04-02-2008, 09:23 AM

Fuck. I was hoping to be caught up in time for season 4.I downloaded most of the episodes from Amazon and caught the last three on my DVR. There are some really bad episodes in the season.

S. Earl
04-02-2008, 09:25 AM
I haven't read anything in this thread, since I am only 4 episdoes away from it. Expect my input tommorow.

This show has changed my goddamn life. I am on cloud 9 right now.

Jonny Z
04-02-2008, 09:25 AM
eeeeeeeeeeeee i can't wait til friday. i many not even go out friday night,or if i do, it will be an early night so i can come home and watch this!

Albert
04-02-2008, 09:28 AM
eeeeeeeeeeeee i can't wait til friday. i many not even go out friday night,or if i do, it will be an early night so i can come home and watch this!

It's over at 11! Just go out after that. Unless you'll be too wound up from the episode to concentrate on your partaying.

Taxman
04-02-2008, 09:29 AM
As for who the 5th member of the "5 of 5" may be:

I'd put all my money on Apollo. Everything is pointing to him being it.What points to him? Has it occurred to you that Adama has known him since birth. He would have had to have been cloned and replaced.

d.j.
04-02-2008, 09:30 AM
I don't think 3 had any truly bad episodes, just worse than the usual greatness. Overall, I'd put it up there with 2... maybe even better b/c, holy crap, that finale just blew my mind up. The style of it, the music -- it all made me very uneasy.

Then watching Razor the next night was a huge letdown. Is there a Razor thread? I didn't find one, but I have questions that need answers!

Why wasn't wooden Kendra Shaw on the Pegasus when they met up with Galactica? I know the real word explanation, but there was no show explanation.

Also...

Apollo tells Starbuck to stay behind and set off the nuke manually? No fucking way! That was so out of character.

There was a lot more cheese in it than I'm used to, too... And the effects looked rougher. Was this a cheap quickie that they tried to pass off as something worthy of the show?

Albert
04-02-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm so psyched about the series premiere, I'm rewatching the miniseries. Man, the scene with Six and the baby is SO CREEPY. "You won't have to cry much longer. It's amazing how their neck can support that weight." All of the first few scenes of the miniseries really set a neat tone for everything to come - the Pyramid game and fight with Tigh and Starbuck is cool, too.

And soon after that we get to see Tricia Helfer in her underwear! Yay!

S. Earl
04-03-2008, 12:14 AM
My only problem with 3 is there isn't enough Tom Zerak.

But man, the score and the special effects really came into their own in season 3.

Ahmed
04-03-2008, 01:33 AM
I am in complete agreement. A truly mind blowing hour of television. I'm pretty sure president Roselin is the fifth hidden cylon It would explain her sharing dreams with Number Six and cylon Sharon. Also her visions.

Evan the Shaggy
04-03-2008, 04:25 AM
What points to him? Has it occurred to you that Adama has known him since birth. He would have had to have been cloned and replaced.

The thing that points to him in my mind:

There have been numerous times in the series where he'll find himself floating in a lake in his mind, usually in times of overwhelming stress or pain. Seems a lot like the Cylons ability to reshape their perspective on reality if you ask me. Plus, there's something shady about us never actually seeing a picture or anything of his brother.

Albert
04-03-2008, 10:42 AM
What points to him? Has it occurred to you that Adama has known him since birth. He would have had to have been cloned and replaced.

Maybe the Cylons infiltrated Bill Adama's sperm.

S. Earl
04-03-2008, 11:47 AM
If Rosalyn turns out to be number 5, then that turns over the entire applecart and I will have to rewatch everything in a new light.

Have the head writers known who the Cylons are from the start?

Drkemerld73
04-03-2008, 12:16 PM
If Rosalyn turns out to be number 5, then that turns over the entire applecart and I will have to rewatch everything in a new light.

Have the head writers known who the Cylons are from the start?

The four that were revealed at the end of Season 4 weren't told until most of the filming of that season was completed I believe.

The actor who played Tigh was pretty surprised when he was told if I remember.