PDA

View Full Version : Question about anti-depressants, urgent

Jerome Gibbons
06-02-2005, 06:16 AM
Hey.

I don't have much time, so I'll just get right to the point. Someone I know has been taking anti-depressants. The problem is, it doesn't seem like this is the brand for her. They're actually making her feel much worse, emotionally, than before she was on them. Her doctor told her this is a trial-and-error kind of deal, meaning she has to take different brands of anti-depressants until she stumbles upon the one that'd work on her best.

Anyway, I am aware that worsened depression is a common side-effect of many anti-depressants. There's just something else I'd like to know, something I wasn't aware of until a couple days ago: can anti-depressants make you a bit unbalanced...mentally? I mean, if the dose is too strong and they worsen the depression extremely, can they actually affect your mind and perceptions? You know, stuff like make you see or hear stuff that aren't really there or could not have happened, make you think stuff you don't usually think abou, etc. etc. It is very important that I know if this is the case. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Also...please wish me good luck on this whole situation...it's just such a personal hell for all involved and I can't stress enough how much a small prayer or a good thought would mean to me. Thank you all very much.

Taxman
06-02-2005, 06:18 AM
How long has she been on it? Sometimes these things take weeks to take effect. Plus, other things can cause worsened depression.

If you are this concerned, you should probably get the person to call their doctor.

mattbrand
06-02-2005, 06:20 AM
I don't have much experience personally with anti-depressants, but I do know that any medication that deals with depression or anxiety can have pretty serious mental tolls. And most medication takes a while to kick in fully, like months. During that balancing process, things can get worse.

I wish you the best.

JABSEN
06-02-2005, 06:22 AM
How long has she been in on them?Sometimes it can be a side effect but it should be short-term.If it's not helping her she clearly need a change

DaGetHighKnight
06-02-2005, 06:26 AM
Yes, she can feel disorientated from certain pills. They can make her feel very light headed,Unable to think properly and just fucked up worse than she was in general..

If I was her Id slowly stop taking the pills and then wait 3 or 4 days after shes completly off them and see if she feels better...If she feels better then maybe she could try another perscription or maybe a Tranquilizer instead of a SSRI drug...She also needs to NOT confuse her reaction from the drug with her depression/anxiety cause that will just make it worse.... Its tough stuff for anybody to go through..

Jerome Gibbons
06-02-2005, 06:33 AM
Thank you all for your replies. She's been on these particular anti-depressants for a couple weeks now, but they've been a hell of a couple weeks. They've made her feel so horrible sometimes she wasn't even able to speak. She would cry endlessly, constantly have suicidal thoughts and just all around feel like total crap, usually for hours at a time. Before taking these, she'd been on another brand, which seemed to work perfectly on her, but they were making her drowsy, so she decided to switch and try the ones she's on now for a bit. Big mistake there, I guess...she's going to see her doctor today, she says she wants to switch again because she just can't take how the current ones are making her feel.

Last night, when I was talking to her on the phone, she kept acting a bit strangely. Almost...delirious, I guess you could say...she was telling me how the other day she kept seeing and hearings that weren't after she'd gone to bed, how she thought she had heard the phone while we were talking (meaning, not possible), how she was having some very strange thoughts, etc. etc. Obviously, this all took me a bit by surprise (since she's never acted like this before), and made me feel very worried for her health. This is why I want to know anything that might help a bit on the subject.

JABSEN
06-02-2005, 06:34 AM
If it is weeks and she's been horible.Contact the Doc

mattbrand
06-02-2005, 06:38 AM

Definitely.

dEnny!
06-02-2005, 06:41 AM

This is not a joking matter, and I agree she definitely needs to contact her physician, but I have to say this.

Or contact Tom Cruise, I hear he is available for these types of situations because "He cares."

http://www.cineybso.com/fotos%20articulos/Tom%20Cruise%202%20caras/tom%20cruise%20principal.jpg

JUST SAY NO TO MEDICATION!

Doug
06-02-2005, 06:45 AM
I know nothing about this, but I just wanted to wish you luck.

Taxman
06-02-2005, 06:45 AM
This is not a joking matter, and I agree she definitely needs to contact her physician, but I have to say this.

Or contact Tom Cruise, I hear he is available for these types of situations because "He cares."

http://www.cineybso.com/fotos%20articulos/Tom%20Cruise%202%20caras/tom%20cruise%20principal.jpg

JUST SAY NO TO MEDICATION!

:shock:

Wow, dEnny!, I never would have pegged you as a Scientology guy. :?

Patton
06-02-2005, 06:46 AM
one of my friends told me that some medices she took made her suicidal and then I saw an article saying that that was a common side effect for that drug.

i can't remember--I think it may have been Lithium but maybe not.

Taxman
06-02-2005, 06:49 AM
Thank you all for your replies. She's been on these particular anti-depressants for a couple weeks now, but they've been a hell of a couple weeks. They've made her feel so horrible sometimes she wasn't even able to speak. She would cry endlessly, constantly have suicidal thoughts and just all around feel like total crap, usually for hours at a time. Before taking these, she'd been on another brand, which seemed to work perfectly on her, but they were making her drowsy, so she decided to switch and try the ones she's on now for a bit. Big mistake there, I guess...she's going to see her doctor today, she says she wants to switch again because she just can't take how the current ones are making her feel.

Do you know when she was taking the original prescription? Sometimes sleeplessness is a common side effect, but it causes drowsiness in a few. If she had been told to take the things in the morning, but just switched them to the evening, it might have been able to work for her.

Patton
06-02-2005, 06:52 AM
:shock:

Wow, dEnny!, I never would have pegged you as a Scientology guy. :?

or a guy that would make light of a serious situation--even after saying it's wrong.

JABSEN
06-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Do you know when she was taking the original prescription? Sometimes sleeplessness is a common side effect, but it causes drowsiness in a few. If she had been told to take the things in the morning, but just switched them to the evening, it might have been able to work for her.I'm more worried about the sucidial thought and depression.unfortanetly drowsiness will probably be a side effect no matter what she takes

Cth
06-02-2005, 06:55 AM
http://newcomicreviews.com/cliches/doctor.jpg

Seriously, don't look for medical advice of a serious nature on a message board.

http://www.webmd.com (http://www.webmd.com) and your local physicians should be the first place to check.. local pharmacies, etc.

Taxman
06-02-2005, 06:56 AM
I'm more worried about the sucidial thought and depression.unfortanetly drowsiness will probably be a side effect no matter what she takes

Sure enough, but that first med might have been workable for her if she only needed to take it once per day.

Patton
06-02-2005, 06:57 AM
http://newcomicreviews.com/cliches/doctor.jpg

Seriously, don't look for medical advice of a serious nature on a message board.

http://www.webmd.com (http://www.webmd.com) and your local physicians should be the first place to check.. local pharmacies, etc.
I don't think anyone would use a message board as thier only medical council but I don't think asking if anyone has gone through or knows anyone that has gone through similiar things is bad.

JABSEN
06-02-2005, 06:59 AM
I don't think anyone would use a message board as thier only medical council but I don't think asking if anyone has gone through or knows anyone that has gone through similiar things is bad.Exactly.If you look at my replies I keep saying to go to the doctor.But some of us have had experience with this

Cth
06-02-2005, 07:09 AM
Exactly.If you look at my replies I keep saying to go to the doctor.But some of us have had experience with this

Absolutely, I just think the main priority should have been to check with someone who's actually medically qualified first.

Jerome Gibbons
06-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Do you know when she was taking the original prescription? Sometimes sleeplessness is a common side effect, but it causes drowsiness in a few. If she had been told to take the things in the morning, but just switched them to the evening, it might have been able to work for her.

She took them in the evening, before going to bed. She never took them during the morning. Then, after she switched, she started to take the new ones in the morning, as per her doctor's suggestion. She use to take it once a day, the dosage was half a pill at first, then after a few days her doctor upped the dosage to a full pill a day. The drowsiness started soon after. The doctor said that the half a pill a day thing is sort of like a trial, and that the dosage was supposed to be upped eventually, but I don't know.

Jerome Gibbons
06-02-2005, 07:15 AM
And this is not the only place where I'm asking for help, for the record. I've already done a lot of research on my own, asked my father (who is a doctor) about it, etc. etc. I just want to have all the bases covered, so to speak. Find out as much as I can. Surely, there can't be anything wrong with that.

My main concern is for the mental unstability thing. I want to know if this can sometimes be a side-effect of extreme depression caused by certain anti-depressants, or if...it's something that's actually happening to her on its own (I pray that this is not the case...). I know people here have gone through depression and anti-depressants, so I decided it wouldn't hurt to ask around.

Ryan Walsh
06-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Good luck. She's lucky you're around to look out for her.

Jade
06-02-2005, 07:53 AM
Hey.

I don't have much time, so I'll just get right to the point. Someone I know has been taking anti-depressants. The problem is, it doesn't seem like this is the brand for her. They're actually making her feel much worse, emotionally, than before she was on them. Her doctor told her this is a trial-and-error kind of deal, meaning she has to take different brands of anti-depressants until she stumbles upon the one that'd work on her best.

Anyway, I am aware that worsened depression is a common side-effect of many anti-depressants. There's just something else I'd like to know, something I wasn't aware of until a couple days ago: can anti-depressants make you a bit unbalanced...mentally? I mean, if the dose is too strong and they worsen the depression extremely, can they actually affect your mind and perceptions? You know, stuff like make you see or hear stuff that aren't really there or could not have happened, make you think stuff you don't usually think abou, etc. etc. It is very important that I know if this is the case. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Also...please wish me good luck on this whole situation...it's just such a personal hell for all involved and I can't stress enough how much a small prayer or a good thought would mean to me. Thank you all very much.

It is trial and error... and honestly, sometimes they never find one that works. Also, they can make you more unbalanced then when you started. This can be a dosage thing, it can also be due to your body reacting poorly to the medication. In same circumstances, it's because the person doesn't have a chemical imbalance. Sometimes, it's a life thing, which only therapy can fix. Medication won't help all forms of depression.

Victor Cabanelas
06-02-2005, 08:01 AM
Well, I used to work in a laboratory that makes anti-depressants and other types of "mind-pills" and the side effects that you described are fairly common.

The first thing that you should do is contact her Dr (the one who gave her the precription) and tell him/her this. If he/she still insists on giving her the same drug, contact your friendīs parents, friends, etc (if she is still living with her parents, contact them before going to her doctor).

EVERYONE of us will react differently to the drugs, some will feel sleepy and some will feel full of energy. Again, try talking to a neurologist or a phisychiatric (I am sure I spelled that one wrong, but I donīt have the time to check it).

Hope that helps

Taxman
06-02-2005, 08:01 AM
It is trial and error... and honestly, sometimes they never find one that works.

They can change the dosage, change the meds, combine meds, it can go on and on.

Jade
06-02-2005, 08:05 AM
They can change the dosage, change the meds, combine meds, it can go on and on.

Mental illness runs on both sides of my family (which makes it great they decided to breed together :D ). One of my family members has been on every possible combination of antidepressant, mood stabilizer, and anti-psychotic... he' almost 50 now and they still haven't found anything that works for him. But some of the people on one side of my family are also resistant to medication... which isn't good for people who are also mentally ill.

Jerome Gibbons
06-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Okay...thank you all for your replies, especially you, Vik. I will see what else I can do to help her with this problem, keeping all of your suggestions in mind. Again, thank you all for taking the time to reply to this topic, it is more appreciated than you know.

Pia Guerra
06-02-2005, 08:48 AM
If she's starting to get suicidal she may want to consider going to the hospital for a while so she can be under observation until the right combination kicks in. Extreme yeah, but it helps. I had a roomate go through some bad Prozac episodes in the early trial phase that were pretty challenging. We all took turns being with her, shoving strong cups of tea and bad star trek novelisations in her face (she said the books helped but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them). She did try to comit herself but unfortunately there were no beds available so we just made sure she wasn't alone for the first few weeks it took for the meds to kick in.

The caffeine also helped with another friend who was fighting depression who didn't have the benefit of healthcare. When he would get weird over the phone I dragged him over to my place and made him ridiculously strong pots of Russian tea. It snapped him out of pretty fast but I would talk to the doctor before trying it.