PDA

View Full Version : Best Todd Solondz Movie

nihilance
03-27-2008, 05:29 AM
poll forthcoming

Gregory
03-27-2008, 05:33 AM
Happiness for Jon Lovitz stealing the movie before the opening credits.

majorjoe23
03-27-2008, 05:37 AM
Welcome to the Dollhouse is the one that made me cringe the least. I always go to his movies, and I always walk out saying "I feel disgusting, I'll never do that again."

And then I do.

Fake Pat
03-27-2008, 05:39 AM
Happiness all the way.

Great movie.

nihilance
03-27-2008, 05:39 AM
Happiness for Jon Lovitz stealing the movie before the opening credits.

I'm having a hard time with this myself. I love Happiness and Welcome to the Dollhouse both so much. WttD has much more focus since it centers on one character for the bulk of the film...but some of the stuff in Happiness is just brilliantly subversive pitch black comedy.

I still can't see a film with Dylan Baker in it and not think of his performance in Happiness. The fact that he could pull off a pedophile so sympathetically was sort of mind blowing. Whenever he shows up in a mainstream movie (like the Spider-man films) I wonder how many people watching it have no idea about the roll that really put him on the map.

Fake Pat
03-27-2008, 05:40 AM
I'm having a hard time with this myself. I love Happiness and Welcome to the Dollhouse both so much. WttD has much more focus since it centers on one character for the bulk of the film...but some of the stuff in Happiness is just brilliantly subversive pitch black comedy.

I still can't see a film with Dylan Baker in it and not think of his performance in Happiness. The fact that he could pull off a pedophile so sympathetically was sort of mind blowing. Whenever he shows up in a mainstream movie (like the Spider-man films) I wonder how many people watching it have no idea about the roll that really put him on the map.

He is amazing in that movie.

Garth
03-27-2008, 05:44 AM
Happiness. LOVE it. Although I am a fan of all Solondz stuff. Every flick of his has scenes which will stick with you for the rest of your life. I am almost too embarrassed to admit how hard I laughed when the main character in ...Dollhouse is told that at 3pm she will be raped.

Fourthman
03-27-2008, 05:52 AM
Happiness. It defines Solondz.

artimoff
03-27-2008, 07:04 AM
I havn't seen Fear, Anxiety & Depression but it's in my Netflix cue now.

schizorabbit
03-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Happiness!!!!!!

Everyone in that movie was perfect!!! And I love the fact that the writer/director can go places where movies usually not go (and for good reason) and pull it off without just coming across as not just trying to make the audience disgusted/sick/repulsed. Not only was Dylan Baker's pedophile as sympathetic character pulled off, but Philip Seymour Hoffman's masturbating crank caller--e.g., gluing pictures onto walls with his, uh, baby batter--eventually came across as sympathetic as well. I haven't seen the movie in years--I may rent it again now thanks to this thread--but I remember watching some no dialogue scene in which the pervert caller and what's her name--Lara Flynn Boyle--are sitting on the couch, and the music is playing, and his hand is slowly crawling towards hers...wonderful!!!

nick maynard
03-27-2008, 07:22 AM
i went with palindromes. but to be fair, ive only ever seen it and happiness.

Jim.
03-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

nihilance
03-27-2008, 07:33 AM

Word of warning...it is not like his other films, it had some issues with studio interferance and Solondz usually leaves it off of his filmography.

artimoff
03-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Word of warning...it is not like his other films, it had some issues with studio interferance and Solondz usually leaves it off of his filmography.

Bah! Netflix doesn't have it anyway.

costello
03-27-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm afraid of Storytelling. Howard Stern kept playing an audio clip and it freaked me out.

Garth
03-27-2008, 08:13 AM

I couldn't even find it on netflix for some reason. Is there a link you could throw me?

Edit: oh they don't have it...ok, nm.

Andrew j
03-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Havent seen the first one or Pallindromes but of Dollhouse, Happiness and Storytelling, Happiness was the best.

FedEx Fanboy
03-27-2008, 07:57 PM
If only they'd release a decent DVD of Happiness. The Region 1 release is fucking atrocious.

simon trent
03-27-2008, 07:58 PM
in terms of just pure depression after watching, it's got to be happiness

jordan michael
03-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Happiness.

Sam Little
03-28-2008, 04:29 AM
Happiness is genius. Haven't seen Fear, Anxiety and Depression or Pallindromes. I don't think those are available in Norway. May need to order Pallindromes from Amazon. Is it worth purchasing or merely a renter?

nihilance
03-28-2008, 05:00 AM
If only they'd release a decent DVD of Happiness. The Region 1 release is fucking atrocious.

How do you mean?

Fourthman
03-28-2008, 05:42 AM
Happiness is genius. Haven't seen Fear, Anxiety and Depression or Pallindromes. I don't think those are available in Norway. May need to order Pallindromes from Amazon. Is it worth purchasing or merely a renter?

Renter

Fourthman
03-28-2008, 05:44 AM
By the way...

Life During Wartime is Todd Solondz's new film in the production stages, produced by John Hart at Evamere Entertainment.[6] The new film was said by Solondz in an interview at Cannes to be a companion piece to Happiness and Welcome to the Dollhouse.[7] It has also been described as "A Dark Comedy of Sexual Obsession." It has been said that it will star Emma Thompson, Demi Moore, Paul Reubens, Chi McBride, Chane't Johnson, Paul Dano, Renee Taylor, Faye Dunaway, Dennis Franz and Hope Davis, with a budget of $4.5 million. Production was originally slated to begin on May 15, 2008, but it has been pushed back 3 times now due to financing problems and it is not known if or when the film will eventually be made.

Garth
03-28-2008, 05:47 AM
with a budget of $4.5 million. Production was originally slated to begin on May 15, 2008, but it has been pushed back 3 times now due to financing problems and it is not known if or when the film will eventually be made.

4.5 million and it is having financing problems? Are you serious? That is a drop in the bucket for any production company. On the other hand, I am sure his films never make a huge splash at the box office.

Fourthman
03-28-2008, 05:55 AM
4.5 million and it is having financing problems? Are you serious? That is a drop in the bucket for any production company. On the other hand, I am sure his films never make a huge splash at the box office.

I imagine the content might scare anything but the most art-minded of investors away. And I really don't see Solondz as someone who's interested in putting their minds at ease. He should find out how Haneke is able to get money for depressing, distasteful, but ultimately "pure" films.