PDA

View Full Version : G4 - "We will turn anything into a show"

Evan the Shaggy
03-25-2008, 04:55 AM
This summer, look for more humor aimed at the Maxim set: Hurl, an original U.S.-made eating-and-regurgitating competition that will gorge contestants on chicken pot pies or clam chowder, then strap them into spinning rides. "Whoever hurls last wins," says G4 president Neal Tiles.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2008-03-24-G4-network_N.htm

I wish they'd make a show called dignity.

lonesomefool
03-25-2008, 04:56 AM

Yeah, I have no interest in seeing idiots throw up.

Matthew
03-25-2008, 04:56 AM
The world would be a better place if this network closed down.

Bryan H
03-25-2008, 04:59 AM
And I really thought after 'Street Fury' they couldn't go any further away from their beginnings.

Marc Lombardi
03-25-2008, 05:02 AM
I personally like Attack of the Show and X-Play and to an extent enjoy watching Ninja Warrior. But pretty much everything else is bleh. Also, Cops 2.0 is entertainling even though it's not exactly original content.

Masculine Todd
03-25-2008, 05:02 AM

I wish they'd make a show about videogames.

simon trent
03-25-2008, 05:05 AM
it's turning into E! more and more. it's annoying to watch anymore.

Evan the Shaggy
03-25-2008, 05:06 AM
I wish they'd make a show about videogames.

In hindsight though, X-Play has gotten substantially better with the new format.

Masculine Todd
03-25-2008, 05:06 AM
At some point, the network decided that they wanted to be much more mainstream and accessible, and overhauled their entire line of shows, which were predicated on tech/videogames and became Diet Spike. Do 13-35 year old male demographics really enjoy shows like "who pukes last," hot rods and Star Trek reruns?

It was and will always be a niche cable network. I'd try not to alienate the gamer/tech viewers I already have by reaching for a demographic that could care less about the cliched template for masculinity in the form of Fastlane reruns.

Masculine Todd
03-25-2008, 05:07 AM
In hindsight though, X-Play has gotten substantially better with the new format.

I'm ambivalent.

Mr. E!
03-25-2008, 05:07 AM

No one would watch it.

lonesomefool
03-25-2008, 05:09 AM
At some point, the network decided that they wanted to be much more mainstream and accessible, and overhauled their entire line of shows, which were predicated on tech/videogames and became Diet Spike. Do 13-35 year old male demographics really enjoy shows like "who pukes last," hot rods and Star Trek reruns?
It was and will always be a niche cable network. I'd try not to alienate the gamer/tech viewers I already have by reaching for a demographic that could care less about the cliched template for masculinity in the form of Fastlane reruns.

It worked for MTV with Jackass and all the spin offs (Viva La Bam, Wild Boyz).

FredC
03-25-2008, 05:12 AM

I can't actually hate G4, for one simple reason: They did an Arrested Development marathon one Thanksgiving I was fortunate enough to catch. I fell in love with it, having previously only seen the first two episodes.

After that I bought pretty much all the seasons on DVD. So, I'm thankful for G4.

I don't care about them, but I'm thankful for em'.

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-25-2008, 05:14 AM
I like Attack of The Show because of Olivia Munn, and Ninja Warrior and those other shows once in a while, but that show sounds ridiculous.

Masculine Todd
03-25-2008, 05:15 AM
It worked for MTV with Jackass and all the spin offs (Viva La Bam, Wild Boyz).

Jackass had the luxury of being featured on a network with a reputation for presenting the "cutting-edge" (not validating that) of youth-culture, or at the very least, a network notorious for being a youth-culture facilitator. Furthermore, Jackass isn't merely one repetitive stunt, and it's mostly "sold" by the personalities performing the feats of stupidity (see Johnny Knoxville's rise to C-List movie star and Bam Margblahblah's cult following amongst teens).

It's MTV. They manufacture what's cool for a teen audience. G4 desperately catering to a non-existence male demographic with faux-edgy and crude programs concentrates time, money and ideas into a show that will do nothing but further alienate it's core fanbase.

Ryudo
03-25-2008, 05:19 AM
G4 is, other than an hour-and-a-half-long block of programming each day, a completely useless network.

Attack of the Show, despite the fact that it has almost totally dropped sensible coverage, instead relying on the "wit" of its hosts and idiotic Youtube videos, is still a decent tech show.

XPlay, now that it has been revamped, is actually pretty decent. They actually do a good job of covering the video games. I have been impressed so far.

Other than that, it's stupid. It runs useless shows that I don't care in the least for. I loved Tech TV, and I enjoyed G4/Tech TV when they first merged. But being at least somewhat aware of what's going on in the industry, it's sad that corporate greed has cost some really good, really smart people that know what they're talking about their jobs.

Plus, according to what I've heard, G4 Canada is completely different from our G4. So I'm jealous. :)

SteveZegers
03-25-2008, 05:22 AM

Some of the in-studio guests are people that should never be on television, but I do still enjoy the show.

Masculine Todd
03-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Other than that, it's stupid. It runs useless shows that I don't care in the least for. I loved Tech TV, and I enjoyed G4/Tech TV when they first merged. But being at least somewhat aware of what's going on in the industry, it's sad that corporate greed has cost some really good, really smart people that know what they're talking about their jobs.

Corporate greed? That's the nature of capitalism. I don't begrudge G4 for wanting to transcend the ghetto of "niche market television" and become something more accessible and enticing to wider audiences. Conversely, doing so at the mercy of your original theme (tech/gaming), only to essentially admit some sore of shame for your initial audience and replace most shows with stereotypical "guy programs" that are, predominantly, not of quality is absurd.

If you're going to reboot your entire network, you risk losing your core audience, so you must take a risk that practically ensures a greater audience in return to make said risk worthwhile. Instead, they've entered this identity crisis - Maintaining some of the gaming programing while filling remaining slots with "male oriented programming" that isn't going to appeal to the demographic they want to capture anyway.

Fake Pat
03-25-2008, 06:09 AM
The whole problem with G4 is that it's based around information and content that's more easily accessible through the internet.

Evan the Shaggy
03-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Corporate greed? That's the nature of capitalism. I don't begrudge G4 for wanting to transcend the ghetto of "niche market television" and become something more accessible and enticing to wider audiences. Conversely, doing so at the mercy of your original theme (tech/gaming), only to essentially admit some sore of shame for your initial audience and replace most shows with stereotypical "guy programs" that are, predominantly, not of quality is absurd.

If you're going to reboot your entire network, you risk losing your core audience, so you must take a risk that practically ensures a greater audience in return to make said risk worthwhile. Instead, they've entered this identity crisis - Maintaining some of the gaming programing while filling remaining slots with "male oriented programming" that isn't going to appeal to the demographic they want to capture anyway.

The problem is that it seems like every channel is slowly becoming the exact same thing as every other channel. What used to make basic cable channels unique is slowly be eroded away where each channel is just becoming a carbon copy of one another.

Sci-Fi channel is playing wrestling and movies like Elf, Cartoon Network is doing live action programming that really has nothing to do with cartoons, etc etc. I mean how many channels has Cops on it at this point, like 15?

mike black
03-25-2008, 07:00 AM

Highly disagree.

mike black
03-25-2008, 07:07 AM
The whole problem with G4 is that it's based around information and content that's more easily accessible through the internet.

They really need to bring back Portal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugVvDaIlmkY&feature=related).

greg donovan
03-25-2008, 09:53 AM
it makes me miss the old tech tv network.

there was some really good stuff on there. i loved the tech review shows hosted by james kim.

Matthew
03-25-2008, 10:06 AM
All the old TechTV hosts are doing podcasts of some kind, pretty much. If you miss them, check them out.

Ryudo
03-25-2008, 10:12 AM
it makes me miss the old tech tv network.

there was some really good stuff on there. i loved the tech review shows hosted by james kim.

All the old TechTV hosts are doing podcasts of some kind, pretty much. If you miss them, check them out.

Most of the podcasts by the old TTV hosts are at http://twit.tv

Matthew
03-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Most of the podcasts by the old TTV hosts are at http://twit.tv

And some of the "younger" TechTV people are at http://revision3.com/

Marcdachamp
03-25-2008, 10:21 AM
That's really quite stupid.

greg donovan
03-25-2008, 10:28 AM

good to know.

thanks

Whip
03-25-2008, 11:22 AM
G4 can't even tell the difference between Final Fantasy VI and IV. I know roman numerals are tricky, but c'mon...

Scotty
03-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Makes me think of the robot chicken bit 'Who Poop Last'

wasn't G4 going to show a Spaceballs animated show?

jess
03-25-2008, 11:33 AM
i can barely watch g4 anyways cause i always feel like i'm being yelled at in japanese.