PDA

View Full Version : Jackman, Guggenheim go 'Nowhere' comic book

BENDIS!
03-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Jackman, Guggenheim go 'Nowhere'
Duo teams with Virgin for comicbook series
By MICHAEL FLEMING
Jackman

Hugh Jackman and "Eli Stone" co-creator Marc Guggenheim are teaming with Virgin Comics to create "Nowhere Man," an original comicbook series that is designed to be transferred to the bigscreen as a Jackman vehicle.
Story was being kept under wraps, but Jackson's Seed Productions partner John Palermo said it features a protagonist reminiscent of the one Will Smith played in "I Am Legend." The concept is a futuristic world where mankind has traded privacy for safety, a premise that sprouted with Seed, Virgin CEO Sharad Devarajan and chief creative officer Gotham Chopra.

"This is our first comic, and we feel the concept is transferable to other arenas, perhaps first as a videogame, and then a movie," Palermo said.

Guggenheim has also written installments of "Amazing Spider-man" and "Wolverine" for Marvel Comics. Jackman is in Australia, starring for 20th Century Fox in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," the spinoff movie that will hit theaters May 2009.

Said Jackman: "I've had so much fun in the graphic novel world with the 'X-Men' franchise that I wanted to get even more involved. I'm excited to work with Virgin and Marc and create a compelling character and story that hopefully will also make it to the bigscreen."

"Nowhere Man" will be published under the Virgin Voices line, which also includes "Voodoo Child," which Nicolas Cage hatched with son Weston Cage. Virgin is getting close on its first comics-to-screen transfer, with the Guy Ritchie comic "Gamekeeper" being scripted by Oliver Butcher and Stephen Cornwell for producer Joel Silver at Warner Bros. The John Cox-scripted "Virulents" also is taking shape at Fox and New Regency, with John Moore attached to direct.

Jackman next stars in the Marcel Langenegger-directed drama "Deception," which 20th opens April 25, with Summit distributing overseas. Fox bows the Baz Luhrmann-directed "Australia" Nov. 20, with Jackman starring alongside Nicole Kidman.

The Goddamn Schweitz!
03-24-2008, 07:59 PM
That team-up sounds awesome. Totally checking this out.

WilliamRichard1985
03-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Hmmm,interesting.I've only read Dock Walloper from Virgin,nothing else.

NickT
03-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Gamekeeper V1 and Dan Dare have been good.

The Goddamn Schweitz!
03-24-2008, 08:01 PM

How was Dock Walloper? It sounded interesting but i never saw it on the shelves.

WilliamRichard1985
03-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Issue 1 was decent.A nice throwback to 1930s NYC.Haven't continued it so I couldn't tell ya how the rest of it was.

It would be great if Ed Burns could pull this off for a movie though.

Master Jack Rabbitt
03-24-2008, 08:27 PM
How was Dock Walloper? It sounded interesting but i never saw it on the shelves.

The first issue was good, but the second issue lost me.

Ashwin Pande
03-24-2008, 08:44 PM
They also have The Megas being written by Jonathan Mostow and Gamekeeper Vol. 2 being written by Jeff Parker.

Haven't read it though.

Special Agent Bachman
03-24-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm goddamn tired of movie-types calling comic series "graphic novels" so that they don't have to call them comic books.

Pride of Baghdad = graphic novel (never was serialized)

X-Men = comic book series (was serialized)

danlomb
03-24-2008, 09:03 PM
seems pretty cool...havent checked out the Virgin line yet

Ashwin Pande
03-24-2008, 09:07 PM
I wonder who's doing art on this...