PDA

View Full Version : Art School Confidential... Ugh!

BENDIS!
03-23-2008, 08:30 PM
seriously. what a let down.

Hawkdevil
03-23-2008, 08:30 PM
agreed.

EDIT: Nothing about that movie was good except the cover of the DVD.

copypastepuke
03-23-2008, 08:34 PM
agreed.

EDIT: Nothing about that movie was good except the cover of the DVD.ha! agreed!

The Human Target
03-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Its honestly a terrible movie.

My friend Dan swears that its amazing, but that I just don't get that style of "humor."

I think its kinda the same thing as people saying All-Star Batman and Robin is a joke most people don't get, when it really just blows.

Chris McCarver
03-23-2008, 08:42 PM
I was also terribly dissappointed in this film. I think this actually made me hate film as a medium a little.

King of Mars
03-23-2008, 08:45 PM
I enjoyed it, but I went in without any expectations because I've never read the comic it was based on.

TonyFleecs
03-23-2008, 08:48 PM
I thought the art school stuff in the beginning was fun... for people who've been to art school. But everything after the first ten minutes was pretty awful.

The Human Target
03-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I enjoyed it, but I went in without any expectations because I've never read the comic it was based on.

Neither have I.

Albert
03-23-2008, 08:50 PM

Have you seen a movie before?

Fake Pat
03-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Yeah, it's pretty awful.

The Human Target
03-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Have you seen a movie before?

Ha!

Hey, I wonder if Bendis did mean the comic. :)

William Joseph Dunn
03-23-2008, 08:54 PM
I loved the 8 page strip, but yeah...not good at all.

The only thing I liked about it were the references to Pratt Institute that Strathmore was supposed to be. It summed up that part of Bed-Sty pretty nicely too.

King of Mars
03-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Ahh, I see. This is one of those movies it's cool to hate, so we're supposed to pretend it's one of the worst things ever committed to film, right?

:rolleyes:

William Joseph Dunn
03-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Ahh, I see. This is one of those movies it's cool to hate, so we're supposed to pretend it's one of the worst things ever committed to film, right?

I wouldn't go that far. I would say Charlie''s Angels: Full Throttle or Batman and Robin hold that distinction.

TonyFleecs
03-23-2008, 09:04 PM

For me it's more about it being a Terry Zwygoff film, and not being great. It's not that it was the worst movie of the year or anything. It just hurts more when a good director fucks something up.

Like when Scorsese only makes a film every 2 or 3 years.. I remember the year we got Kundun being a little disappointing.

The Human Target
03-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Its not the worst movie ever, nor is it cool to hate on.

But it is terrible.

Ashwin Pande
03-23-2008, 09:07 PM
For me it's more about it being a Terry Zwygoff film, and not being great. It's not that it was the worst movie of the year or anything. It just hurts more when a good director fucks something up.

Like when Scorsese only makes a film every 2 or 3 years.. I remember the year we got Kundun being a little disappointing.

Kundun was a good movie though.

Not a great movie... but a good movie.

The Cinematography was fantastic. The thing that bugged me most about the movie was it being in English. Took the reality right out of the movie.

King of Mars
03-23-2008, 09:11 PM

But it is terrible.So...why don't you tell us what you didn't like about it instead of giving us your usual, pointless, "Mongo no like!" routine?

The Stig
03-23-2008, 09:19 PM

Or maybe they just didn't like it? Multiple people can independently come to the same conclusion about something, you know. It's not like it's a conspiracy to keep you out of the Cool Kids Club.

andrew french
03-23-2008, 09:25 PM
yeah... not so good.

i wish clowes wouldn't spend his time working as a screenwriter. i especially don't want that Death Ray movie to ruin that comic for me.

BENDIS!
03-23-2008, 09:25 PM
So...why don't you tell us what you didn't like about it instead of giving us your usual, pointless, "Mongo no like!" routine?

having been to art school i found the beginning observations obvious but fine for a set up. it has exactly no third act. at all. the serial killer murder plot was not clever or interesting at all. and the lead casting was horrible.

basquiat made all the same points about the are world.

i am HUGE fan of everyone involved behind the camera. its not cool ot hate it, its dissapoiting to hate it.

go watch ghost world. no tacked on genre plot. just good character and story.

TonyFleecs
03-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Kundun was a good movie though.

Not a great movie... but a good movie.

The Cinematography was fantastic. The thing that bugged me most about the movie was it being in English. Took the reality right out of the movie.
Sure it was beautiful to look at and the score was cool... It was a decent movie. All I'm saying is, if somebody comes up to me in 1995 and says, "Scorsese's only doing one movie between now and 1999. You can have Kundun or that Dean Martin movie he's kicking around...." I probably wouldn't have gone Kundun. Whatever, we're off topic.

Point is, why in the hell was there a murder mystery in Art School confidential?

The Human Target
03-23-2008, 09:29 PM
So...why don't you tell us what you didn't like about it instead of giving us your usual, pointless, "Mongo no like!" routine?

Let me think.

It didn't know if it was a serious film or a satire, and thus failed as both.

The characters were all horribly unlikable deluded twats, most especially the lead character.

The murder mystery plot was awkward and pointless, with a tired ending.

The people who tend to like it either went to art school or are indie comic fanboys that would have liked it no matter what because it was based on a Clowes strip.

BENDIS!
03-23-2008, 09:31 PM
i have read the fantastic dean martin script. its fantastic and nearly unfilmable in any real way. it tom hanks and jim carrey were twenty years younger it could have been made. but thats the only way.

kundun is a great film.

The Human Target
03-23-2008, 09:31 PM
having been to art school i found the beginning observations obvious but fine for a set up. it has exactly no third act. at all. the serial killer murder plot was not clever or interesting at all. and the lead casting was horrible.

i am HUGE fan of everyone involved behind the camera. its not cool ot hate it, its dissapoiting to hate it.

You get to be the little spoon. :heart:

TonyFleecs
03-23-2008, 09:37 PM
kundun is a great film.
But what did Scorsese bring to the mix, that someone else couldn't have?

BENDIS!
03-23-2008, 09:38 PM
But what did Scorsese bring to the mix, that someone else couldn't have?

artistry and vision.

Fygar
03-23-2008, 09:41 PM
It really was pretty fucking awful. Nothing was handled well at all. Max Minghella was dreadful and made me hate the protagonist with a passion.

TonyFleecs
03-23-2008, 09:44 PM
artistry and vision.Oh for christ's sake, you sound like one of us.

You have 6800 posts on the ScoseseWorld message board, don't you?

WillieLee
03-23-2008, 09:44 PM

And chicks with big boobs.

S. Earl
03-23-2008, 09:53 PM
ASSHOLES

I blocked my viewing from my memory completely, and now it has returned.
I will not sleep well tonight.

King of Mars
03-23-2008, 09:56 PM

go watch ghost world. no tacked on genre plot. just good character and story.I agree, the film does kind of lose it's way towards the end, but I still found it to be pretty enjoyable. I think it moves beyond the obvious jokes and observations at the beginning and offers some wry commentary on modern day "art culture".

Also, I was fine with the casting. I don't know if Max Minghella does a good job of bringing the comic version of Jerome to life in the movie...but I think he delivers a pretty effective, low key performance.

Blandy vs Terrorism
03-23-2008, 09:58 PM

But it is terrible.

This is actually the first time I've ever seen or heard anything negative about it.

So of course it happens after Bendis makes a thread saying he hated it. ;)

ERNIE_E
03-23-2008, 10:03 PM
I found the concept of everyone needing to find an angle, no matter how bizarre it is, to sell themselves. How art school can sometimes be an absurd thing when some people in art really just have a whole persona or image that has nothing to do with their art, but that's what sells their art. I liked how some great art/design schools are in the worst parts of a city. Sophia Myles was nice to look at...

There's some bits and pieces I liked, though it was hard to really say this was a good movie. I also liked that all of the art that was shit on (the cop's) was actually all done by Clowes. I wanted to like this a lot more but couldn't.

King of Mars
03-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Let me think.

It didn't know if it was a serious film or a satire, and thus failed as both.

The characters were all horribly unlikable deluded twats, most especially the lead character.

The murder mystery plot was awkward and pointless, with a tired ending.

The people who tend to like it either went to art school or are indie comic fanboys that would have liked it no matter what because it was based on a Clowes strip.That's better. Now, try doing that sort of thing whenever you want to express your dislike for something and maybe, just maybe, I can take you a little more seriously than I do the average Newsarama poster/Netflix reviewer. ;)

Ben
03-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Everything I read and heard about this movie made me think I wouldn't "get" it unless I'd gone to art school, so I never saw it.

S. Earl
03-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Everything I read and heard about this movie made me think I wouldn't "get" it unless I'd gone to art school, so I never saw it.

My old lady goes to art school, and it ain't up her alley either.

King of Mars
03-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Everything I read and heard about this movie made me think I wouldn't "get" it unless I'd gone to art school, so I never saw it.I didn't go to art school, and I liked it.

Masculine Todd
03-23-2008, 10:51 PM
I neither disliked it or enjoyed it. I walked out of the theatre with an overwhelming sense of apathy.

All my friends who've seen it swear by it and coincidentally are not art majors. The killer subplot wasn't that forced. The movie so was one-dimensional that I felt it needed something to, at the very least, distract the viewer.

Ben
03-23-2008, 10:57 PM
I didn't go to art school, and I liked it.
I don't think I would.

Albert
03-23-2008, 11:33 PM
This is actually the first time I've ever seen or heard anything negative about it.

What about all the mediocre-to-bad reviews?

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/artschoolconfidential?q=art%20school%20confidentia l

Also, I saw it opening weekend, and didn't dig it. If you don't believe me, you can just ask my friend Mark, who I saw the movie with!

DJM
03-23-2008, 11:43 PM
A lot of people at my school love this movie but I go to Pratt Institute so they don't count.

I personally agree that it's not great film.

Rantz
03-23-2008, 11:58 PM
I loved the strip is was based on... thought it was biting, spot-on caustic humor, and thought 'Clowes is writing the screenplay? Fucking awesome.'

And was really bummed at how tepid, middle-of-the-road, and generally mediocre it was. Structure issues aside, there was so much potential, so many places that this could have gone, and it just didn't. It felt like the entire film was 'holding back', not letting the other shoe drop... Not caustic enough, not black enough, not driven by fully fleshed out characters, and just plain not funny.

And as an art school escapee, it felt like it was made by someone who had never gone to art school, and hence was reduced to using broad-stroke cliches as opposed to any kind of real wit or insight.

really really sad.

Blake Sims
03-24-2008, 07:32 AM
I loved the 8 page strip, but yeah...not good at all.

The only thing I liked about it were the references to Pratt Institute that Strathmore was supposed to be. It summed up that part of Bed-Sty pretty nicely too.

4 page isnt it?

chess
03-24-2008, 07:37 AM
It was blah...

Can we have a motion to bring this movie to a vote?

Amedeo
03-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Avoided it.

Brian Defferding
03-24-2008, 07:46 AM
It wasn't that bad. I didn't like the ending too much, but I still enjoyed the movie. The art school stereotypes in the movie are spot on. My favorite part of the movie is when the main character's friend says "You know what? Nevermind, they're all nuts." :lol:

TheKraken
03-24-2008, 07:48 AM
It's a fine example of how a tiny throw-away gag shouldn't be made into a feature-length film. There are movies based on SNL skits with more coherent plots. I bought this without having seen it on the strength of Ghost World and was pretty angry by the time it was over.

DaGetHighKnight
03-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Ha! I thought I was the only person who Likes Ghost World!

Art School Confidential was no Basquiat thats for sure. Basquiat being one of the best movies ever.

Ziolko
03-24-2008, 08:03 AM
I haven't seen it yet but I'm eagerly anticipating the first installment in the Needledick the Bugfucker trilogy.

Blake Sims
03-24-2008, 08:15 AM
I haven't seen it yet but I'm eagerly anticipating the first installment in the Needledick the Bugfucker trilogy.
haha

majorjoe23
03-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Ha! I thought I was the only person who Likes Ghost World!

Ghost World was pretty much universally loved by those who saw it (not a lot of people) and got an Oscar nomination.

I just wish Thora Birch's deleted scenes were on the DVD.

Artie Pink
03-24-2008, 08:58 AM
After Ghost World and Bad Santa, Art School Confidential was very disappointing.

It was pedestrian in every way, and never paid off.

The Human Target
03-24-2008, 10:28 AM

You must not have read the threads on this board about it when it came out, nor many professional reviews of it.

That's better. Now, try doing that sort of thing whenever you want to express your dislike for something and maybe, just maybe, I can take you a little more seriously than I do the average Newsarama poster/Netflix reviewer. ;)

If I had to explain why I hated stuff I'd never have time to do anything else.

King of Mars
03-24-2008, 01:22 PM
If I had to explain why I hated stuff I'd never have time to do anything else.Heh. That's true, that's true. :)

Arion
03-24-2008, 03:54 PM
seriously. what a let down.

Good thing I missed it, then.

Fake Pat
03-24-2008, 04:00 PM
You must not have read the threads on this board about it when it came out, nor many professional reviews of it.

Damn, just looked this up on rottentomatoes.

36%. Ouch.

Uther
03-24-2008, 04:15 PM
I didn't think it was terrible.
It had some nice things.
Sophia Myles is, for instance, a hideously talented actress and actually tried to do interesting things with her character but was rather stifled by the horribleness of everyone else.
The movie maker subplot amused me simply because it was an extended reference to that documentary about the guy who made Boondock Saints.
And I have a rather perverse thing for films or plays or books populated with nothing but irredeemable wankers. But, it's not like ASC did that particularly well, but, honestly, and no offense, Americans don't seem to know how to do that (barring your Office)

Fake Pat
03-24-2008, 04:17 PM
I didn't think it was terrible.
It had some nice things.
Sophia Myles is, for instance, a hideously talented actress and actually tried to do interesting things with her character but was rather stifled by the horribleness of everyone else.
The movie maker subplot amused me simply because it was an extended reference to that documentary about the guy who made Boondock Saints.
And I have a rather perverse thing for films or plays or books populated with nothing but irredeemable wankers. But, it's not like ASC did that particularly well, but, honestly, and no offense, Americans don't seem to know how to do that (barring your Office)

I LOVE stories about assholes.

I just like them to have a decent plot, and maybe some kinda point that hasn't already been made a million times in funnier and more interesting ways.

Uther
03-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I LOVE stories about assholes.

I just like them to have a decent plot, and maybe some kinda point that hasn't already been made a million times in funnier and more interesting ways.

Oh, of course.
I wasn't defending it, just saying that that one slight bit of it amused me.

Uther
03-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Also, I have this on DVD.
Not because I would ever watch it but simply because we had a bunch at work and literally couldn't give them away.