PDA

View Full Version : Conservatives rate 10 most dangerous books

TheTravis!
06-01-2005, 05:51 PM
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591 (http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591)

Jacob Lyon Goddard
06-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Camille's going to be miffed they left out Sexual Persona

Taxman
06-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed?

:lol:

YGTBFKM

I have got to agree with this list. The last thing we want in society is to encourage intellectual curiosity, or creative thinking.

Mr. E!
06-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Wow. It is amazing how different people can look at the same thing, and come out with two different interpretations. I mean, I know this, but this is a great illustration of it.

batmanbooyah
06-01-2005, 06:01 PM
fuck that, das capital was a great book. IS a great book.

Mr. E!
06-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Camille's going to be miffed they left out Sexual Persona

As much as I love Paglia, she's not in the same league with John Dewey. Sexual Persona is a fun read, but it didn't change the world.

Seltzer Water
06-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Foucalt is not worth the hatin'; I would substitute some Alastair Crowley or LaVey

Jacob Lyon Goddard
As much as I love Paglia, she's not in the same league with John Dewey. Sexual Persona is a fun read, but it didn't change the world.
i agree, but that's not going to stop her from throwing out large blocks of back handed complements about it

Mr. E!
And Orgin of Species didn't make the top 10? What kind of conservatives are these poseurs?

markhow
06-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Origin of the Species!?!?!?!?!?!

Sometimes I think I am too harsh on conservatives then there is something like this that makes me feel justified in my distain for conservatives.

Peace,
Mark

Seltzer Water
06-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Besides Robert George, I have never heard of any of these judges

Jacob Lyon Goddard
06-01-2005, 06:06 PM
i would have thought The Turner Diaries would get a runner-up

The Human Target
06-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Seriously, thats funny.

Mr. E!
06-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Foucalt is not worth the hatin'; I would substitute some Alastair Crowley or LaVey
Oh, I beg to differ! Foucault is worth the hate, especially for conservatives. He is, as far as philosophers go, accessible. He also uses a historical approach to examining the development of the essential institutions of society. And he's French, and died of AIDS. He's the conservative hatred trifecta.
Crowley and LaVey aren't really taken seriously outside the newage community.

TonyFleecs
06-01-2005, 06:09 PM
They gotta be feeling good, It's been almost 40 years since anybody wrote a book menacing enough to crack the top 10.

Reminds me I wanted to rent that Kinsey.

Mr. E!
06-01-2005, 06:09 PM
i would have thought The Turner Diaries would get a runner-up

Noooo, these are the guys who LIKE the Turner Diaries. What a horrid piece of shit that is, btw.

BriRedfern
06-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed?

:lol:

YGTBFKM

I have got to agree with this list. The last thing we want in society is to encourage intellectual curiosity, or creative thinking.

Heaven forbid.

ihategravity
06-01-2005, 06:15 PM
This is a nice way to create a reading list for people who hate conservatives.
Just goes to show how ignorant some people can be: don't they know that ANY publicity is GOOD publicity?

Frozen Sooner
06-01-2005, 06:18 PM
10. General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money

Author: John Maynard Keynes
Publication date: 1936
Score: 23
Summary: Keynes was a member of the British elite--educated at Eton and Cambridge--who as a liberal Cambridge economics professor wrote General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money in the midst of the Great Depression. The book is a recipe for ever-expanding government. When the business cycle threatens a contraction of industry, and thus of jobs, he argued, the government should run up deficits, borrowing and spending money to spur economic activity. FDR adopted the idea as U.S. policy, and the U.S. government now has a $2.6-trillion annual budget and an $8-trillion dollar debt.

Whoever wrote this article has not only obviously not read the book, they also slept through ECON 1113.

Keynesian theory does not state what SHOULD be done. It theorizes (and has yet to be shown as false, by the way) that the boom-bust cycle of the economy can be regulated to an extent by both monetary policy (the manipulation of interest rates by a central bank) and fiscal policy (the spending of large sums of money by government agents.)

Presenting only half the theory implies that Keynes felt that government spending should never be reduced and is both intellectually lazy and intellectually dishonest.

A failure to point out that the federal deficit and debt have both exploded under putatitve anti-Keynesians Presidents Reagan and Bush (GW, not GHW-GHW was a Keynesian and actually had a degree in economics) points to a deep disconnect between the author's understanding of proximate causes and effects.

Mr. E!
06-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Whoever wrote this article has not only obviously not read the book, they also slept through ECON 1113.

Keynesian theory does not state what SHOULD be done. It theorizes (and has yet to be shown as false, by the way) that the boom-bust cycle of the economy can be regulated to an extent by both monetary policy (the manipulation of interest rates by a central bank) and fiscal policy (the spending of large sums of money by government agents.)

Presenting only half the theory implies that Keynes felt that government spending should never be reduced and is both intellectually lazy and intellectually dishonest.

A failure to point out that the federal deficit and debt have both exploded under putatitve anti-Keynesians Presidents Reagan and Bush (GW, not GHW-GHW was a Keynesian and actually had a degree in economics) points to a deep disconnect between the author's understanding of proximate causes and effects.

Someone misrepresented an idea they didn't agree with? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say!

bartleby
06-01-2005, 06:23 PM
I can't believe the issue of AVENGERS where Bendis kills Hawkeye didn't make the list.

Taxman
06-01-2005, 06:32 PM

Don't try to complicate things. Anything that does not promote the movement is BAD!

Angel of Distraction
06-01-2005, 06:35 PM
I can't get it to load, but books are not dangerous. Knowledge is like a flame; it all depends on how you use it.

I choose to use what I learn each day as a weapon against the ignorant and intolerant. Those I use these against are trying to deprive us of these tools, slowly but surely, because they represent a threat to their control. Don't let them.

Amos Moses
06-01-2005, 06:40 PM
I can't believe the issue of AVENGERS where Bendis kills Hawkeye didn't make the list.
That was uncalled for.

Taxman
06-01-2005, 06:45 PM
I can't get it to load. . .

1. The Communist Manifesto
2. Mein Kampf
3. Quotations from Chairman Mao
4. The Kinsey Report
5. Democracy and Education
6. Das Kapital
7. The Feminine Mystique
8. The Course of Positive Philosophy
9. Beyond Good and Evil

Honorable Mention

The Population Bomb
What Is To Be Done
Authoritarian Personality
On Liberty
Beyond Freedom and Dignity
Reflections on Violence
The Promise of American Life
Origin of the Species
Madness and Civilization
Soviet Communism: A New Civilization
Coming of Age in Samoa
Unsafe at Any Speed
Second Sex
Prison Notebooks
Silent Spring
Wretched of the Earth
Introduction to Psychoanalysis
The Greening of America
The Limits to Growth
Descent of Man

alexlannin
06-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Democracy and Education.

Angel of Distraction
06-01-2005, 06:47 PM
1. The Communist Manifesto
2. Mein Kampf
3. Quotations from Chairman Mao
4. The Kinsey Report
5. Democracy and Education
6. Das Kapital
7. The Feminine Mystique
8. The Course of Positive Philosophy
9. Beyond Good and Evil

The inclusion of Beyond Good and Evil makes me angry. I suppose they'd swap it for How to Talk to a Liberal if you Must.

NickBurgess
06-01-2005, 06:51 PM
HAHA. "dangerous books." They are very afraid of something.

SteveFlack
06-01-2005, 06:55 PM
They forgot Tekwar.

-Steve!

Angel of Distraction
06-01-2005, 07:03 PM
This makes me afraid. Fifty years down the road we can say we saw the signs.

Taxman
06-01-2005, 07:04 PM
HAHA. "dangerous books." They are very afraid of something.

I once had The Course of Positive Philosophy as a textbook, but I did not injure myself with it.

Mister Mets
06-01-2005, 07:05 PM
I have actually never read any of the books.

Note that the list is not about the quality of a book, but about the harm it has done.
Although the summaries suck.
Since when does the US have an 8 trillion dollar debt? And I don't think it's because of Keynes.

Kenneth I. Wolfe
06-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Wait--- they actually bothered to make a list?

And why is the Communist Manifesto above Mein Kampf?

But anyways... yep... books are dangerous, dangerous enough to make people think.

Thudpucker
06-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Note that the list is not about the quality of a book, but about the harm it has done.

Good point. Although the Bible really should be number one then, sadly.

Patrick J
06-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Any book can be dangerous in the hands of the wrong people.

I mean, really, strictly speaking, The Bible is maybe THE most dangerous book in all of Western civilization.

Kenneth I. Wolfe
06-01-2005, 07:08 PM
I have actually never read any of the books.

Yes, Beyond Good and Evil has hurt more people than you can imagine!

Taxman
06-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Good point. Although the Bible really should be number one then, sadly.

:shock:

Above the Kuran?

Thudpucker
06-01-2005, 07:11 PM

Above the Kuran?

It's debatable, but the Bible has probably inspired more suffering, death and misery than the Koran.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
06-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Why isn't Anarchist's Cookbook on that list? It has more potential to be genuinely dangerous than any of those inteh-lek-yewel books.

Blake Sims
06-01-2005, 07:13 PM
looks like i have reading to do

Taxman
06-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Why isn't Anarchist's Cookbook on that list? It has more potential to be genuinely dangerous than any of those inteh-lek-yewel books.

It just proves that these people fear freedom of thought and information more than anything else.

Thudpucker
06-01-2005, 07:15 PM
looks like i have reading to do

Few people actually read any of those books I bet.

How many people here have read any of them?

Patrick J
06-01-2005, 07:16 PM

Above the Kuran?

Well... parts of The Bible and the Qur'an are the same text so either one, they can be interchangable, I guess.

But overall I'd venture a guess and say that The Bible has been used to justify more death/destruction etc. etc. than the Qur'an. For one thing the Bible's been around longer and has a history of being used to justify war(s) since the days of the Romans, a little over 2,000 years. Islam hasn't been around that longer and has only truly been as... militaristic... as it is now within the past 300-400 give or take a few years (although thats debatable)

Patrick J
06-01-2005, 07:18 PM

The Arnarchist's Cookbook taught me how to grow pot under my bed without natural light and use the air ducts in my house to dry it out. And there is nothing dangerous about that.

Nick_Ardill
06-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Must... not... make joke... about rednecks and... Jerry Falwell. ARGHHH!!!

Nick_Ardill
06-01-2005, 07:33 PM

I read part of Darwin for Science class. What I don't get is that scientists have proven facts that evolution is true and real but these Conservatives cover their ears and close their eyes to it. Then how do they explain Dinosaurs? HUH DINOSAURS?!? GAWD!

Blake Sims
06-01-2005, 07:34 PM

i read about 20 pages of Mein Kampf in Barnes and Noble

Jastermereel
06-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Must... not... make joke... about rednecks and... Jerry Falwell. ARGHHH!!!

No need. The jokes make themselves.

Also...what? No Protocals of the Elders of Zion?

Patrick J
06-01-2005, 07:44 PM

Every one of them 'cept The Kinsey Report and The Feminine Mystique.

Boris the Blade
06-01-2005, 07:54 PM
That site gives me the heebie jeebies.

I wish this had been open to more than just the 19th and 20th century so we could toss the Bible in.

Adrian B AWESOME
06-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Some I agree with (Communist Manifesto, Mein Kampf)

Others like the Kinsey report and Nietzsche are just plain crazy to be on there. Incredibly important books.