PDA

View Full Version : NY Comic Con Advice Thread

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-07-2008, 06:12 AM
So, next month I'm heading to New York City to partake in the event they call Comic Con. This is my first big convention, and while I can look at the website and see whats going on, I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm looking for any advice veterans of it may have. I am a little intimidated, because I'm coming into NYC by myself, but I'm hoping to hook up with a few fellow boarders to help me navigate around, and make sure I don't end up dead on the streets of NYC. So, help a brother out?:)

THWIP!
03-07-2008, 06:16 AM
It's going to be super fucking packed on Saturday.

Get there early so you don't have to wait so long to get into the con.

DAVE
03-07-2008, 06:18 AM
So, next month I'm heading to New York City to partake in the event they call Comic Con. This is my first big convention, and while I can look at the website and see whats going on, I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm looking for any advice veterans of it may have. I am a little intimidated, because I'm coming into NYC by myself, but I'm hoping to hook up with a few fellow boarders to help me navigate around, and make sure I don't end up dead on the streets of NYC. So, help a brother out?:)

Last year, on Friday night I spoke to a lot of boarders at Mustangs Sally's and we discussed which panels we were interested in seeing. A bunch of us sat together for a few of them. It was fun, it was like being on the board in real life.

THWIP!
03-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Also if you see a creator talk to him, don't wait until a signing you might not get another chance.

Dreg
03-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Don't get too wrapped up in the scheduled programming that you miss out on artist's alley.

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Last year, on Friday night I spoke to a lot of boarders at Mustangs Sally's and we discussed which panels we were interested in seeing. A bunch of us sat together for a few of them. It was fun, it was like being on the board in real life.

Well, like I said, I'm hoping to get together with some of you guys Friday night to maybe do that exact thing...And do some drinking.

Don't get too wrapped up in the scheduled programming that you miss out on artist's alley.

Sketches are one of my primary objectives, artist's alley is where I want to spend more time than anywhere else.

DAVE
03-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Well, like I said, I'm hoping to get together with some of you guys Friday night to maybe do that exact thing...And do some drinking.

Sketches are one of my primary objectives, artist's alley is where I want to spend more time than anywhere else.

If you're going to the con on Friday, just get acquinted with the set up and the programming. Then by Friday night, after some drinking you'll know what everyone's up to for the rest of the con. There's nothing to be nervous about, it's all good and fun.
Do you have questions about New York City in and of itself? Or you just looking for Con advice?

Dreg
03-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Here's one my brother almost learned the hard way. If you plan on using public transportation to get there, DON'T BUY A CANE SWORD.

Jim T.
03-07-2008, 06:29 AM
As for the NYC part, I think you'll be fine - there's a ton of boarders around that can help out with that. You'll be able to meet a ton of cool folks.

As for the con, I did my first one in Philly this past summer. There's a couple of things I would have done differently - first, I would have gotten in line for the signings. The lines are huuuuuuge but having seen people interacting with Bendis, Oeming, etc. while he signed, I wish I would have gotten in line.

Second, come with a collecting goal - whether it's back issue of a certain run or a sketchbook with a theme, come with some goal that will keep you moving around with a purpose. Otherwise, you can just kind of wander around aimlessly, and it's less fun.

Third, actively seek out Boarders and don't be shy if you see someone you know is from the board, whether it's a creator or a non-creator. The reception you will get will be awesome - I met a bunch of people at Philly and it took a lot for me to introduce myself as I am pretty shy. But I was really glad that I did - enhanced the whole experience for me.

Fourth, absorb artist alley - you'll be shocked and amazed that people you've heard of for years like Gaydos, Mack, Greg Horn, etc. are just sitting there, with art for you to look and even buy. They'll even do sketches (although I couldn't muster the courage to ask for any).

You'll have a blast!

Pat Loika
03-07-2008, 06:29 AM
A few choice bits for you:

- Pick the panels you want to see and plan around them.
- Make a list of artists you want to see and depending on who they are or how popular they are, figure out who you want to see first. ESPECIALLY if you want a sketch.
- Determine signing times at the publisher booths (they post schedules) so you know what to bring and at what time if you want stuff signed.
- Bring a lot of cash for sketches. Sketches can range from free to $200 depending on who you talk to.
- Go to the board drink ups, because they're brilliant.

P.

Bill Nolan
03-07-2008, 06:32 AM
The best place, I've found, to get sketches at the NYCC is at the DC booth. Marvel's booth has been horrible both years so far, with not enough space and big names scheduled at the same time as the lesser-knowns I want to see, making the lines impossible. Not a good sketch-attaining set-up. DC was much more open, with better schedules and easier to get free sketches. I get more free sketches at NYCC than anywhere else. Check the schedule at the DC booth regularly, because it changes often.

As for regular sketches in Artists Alley, who are you interested in? Because it varies wildly and maybe we have advice on specific artists which could be useful.

THWIP!
03-07-2008, 06:33 AM
This year at mustangs I'm bringing a clean sketch book for whoever wants to draw in it while we drink. I'll do it for the next night too, and I'll post everything on the board later.

Pat Loika
03-07-2008, 06:34 AM
This year at mustangs I'm bringing a clean sketch book for whoever wants to draw in it while he drink. I'll do it for the next night too, and I'll post everything on the board later.

Do it. I'll bring my tools...

PeterSparker
03-07-2008, 06:34 AM
A few choice bits for you:

- Pick the panels you want to see and plan around them.
- Make a list of artists you want to see and depending on who they are or how popular they are, figure out who you want to see first. ESPECIALLY if you want a sketch.
- Determine signing times at the publisher booths (they post schedules) so you know what to bring and at what time if you want stuff signed.
- Bring a lot of cash for sketches. Sketches can range from free to $200 depending on who you talk to.

P.
Here's my advice - listen to Pat, because he speaks the truth on all counts!

Thomas Mauer
03-07-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm not sure if I'll go sketch hunting during the con but like THWIP! will definitely bring a sketchbook after hours.

Jef UK
03-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Sketching on Sat. night would be awesome.

Pat Loika
03-07-2008, 06:39 AM
Sketching on Sat. night would be awesome.

We should do some live art at the big party...that'd be fun.

P.

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-07-2008, 06:40 AM
Like Jim T. said, I'm a bit shy myself, so just introducing myself to people is going to be a challenge. :lol: But, since I already talk to a bunch of you guys on here, maybe it won't be so hard. Sketches are my big thing, I just got my first sketch from EVS at a local con we had here, and knowing you have something that is uniquely yours is pretty cool I think. So, I'll be bringing a blank sketchbook for that, and maybe even get some sketches from some of the artists from the board as well.

joshdahl
03-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Find the panels you really want to go to and go to them, but sacrifice the ones you are 'ify' on to just walk around and soak up the con.

An ideal schedule should look like this.....
Walk around until your feet start to hurt....just in time for a great panel! Then walk and see stuff...then sit and take in a panel.
Busting your ass from panel to panel will exhaust you and leave you feeling like you missed a lot of the convention. Especially whne many panels do not start on time, or are not as good as they seem.

I am not anti-panel. I love the panels. Jim Steranko's was amazing last year, so was Kevin Smith's. I am just saying that you should choose wisely, as they can be very time-hogging.

Also, by the end of the day, when you are completely glazed over...don't be afraid to leave a panel room. It is more rude to doze off and snore than it is to sneak out quietly!

Oh, and you should CERTAINLY stop by and see me representing at the MONOLITH (http://www.monolithllc.com) booth.

Josh Dahl

Blane
03-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Comfortable shoes, don't bring too many books because you'll get sore carrying them all around. Go to artists that you want sketches from (that you're willing to pay) as early as possible because when they make a list and you don't get on it, you're SOL.

LittleHouse
03-07-2008, 06:58 AM
I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask...

I've been going the past two years. This will be my first time at any 'con as a "creator." What kind of expectations should I have, if any, as one? What are some common mistakes/blunders I could avoid?

Pat Loika
03-07-2008, 07:02 AM
I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask...

I've been going the past two years. This will be my first time at any 'con as a "creator." What kind of expectations should I have, if any, as one? What are some common mistakes/blunders I could avoid?

From my own experiences:

If you're selling books, bring a lot of change.

If you're sketching, bring your own supplies. And change.

Always greet anyone that approaches you, make them feel welcome and offer for them to take a look at your stuff. Don't be pushy.

Be mindful of everyone else that's set-up around you. Don't pull a potential customer in the next booth to go to your booth, because that's just rude.

Always have someone you can trust to watch over your stuff if you need to take a break, too.

P.

Dreg
03-07-2008, 07:11 AM
From my own experiences:

If you're sketching, bring your own supplies. And change.

Always greet anyone that approaches you, make them feel welcome and offer for them to take a look at your stuff. Don't be pushy.

Be mindful of everyone else that's set-up around you. Don't pull a potential customer in the next booth to go to your booth, because that's just rude.

Always have someone you can trust to watch over your stuff if you need to take a break, too.

P.

And also make sure to get a sketch from Pat Loika, because he's cool for cats.

LittleHouse
03-07-2008, 07:11 AM

Hmm... Change, you say. I will definitely keep this in mind. A lot of your advice can be applied to my experience this Sunday in Clifton.

I definitely want to present a pleasant, professional self. At the NYCC, the only indicator that I'll be a creator is my "creator" tag, which I assume most people don't really notice.

I don't really intend on whoring the book to creators or con-goers, but I would like to meet/briefly talk to a few creators I have respect for. In that effort, I kind of want to avoid looking like a pariah, or to a lesser extent, a spaz.

By the by, thanks a lot for your help!

Jim T.
03-07-2008, 07:14 AM
It should also go without saying that if you spot Pat, you should say "hi" and introduce yourself.

LittleHouse
03-07-2008, 07:18 AM
It should also go without saying that if you spot Pat, you should say "hi" and introduce yourself.

I probably should have practiced in my reply to his post...

Hi, Pat...!

DAVE
03-07-2008, 07:25 AM
This year at mustangs I'm bringing a clean sketch book for whoever wants to draw in it while we drink. I'll do it for the next night too, and I'll post everything on the board later.

Awesome, I'd love to get in on that.

THWIP!
03-07-2008, 07:25 AM

Everyone will get in on it.

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-07-2008, 07:29 AM

Everyone will get in on it.

:wave:

PeterSparker
03-07-2008, 08:08 AM

If you can get through the throngs of admirers! Seriously, Pat is more recognizable than some of the big name creators. :D The man is a fucking star!!!

stevapalooza
03-07-2008, 08:14 AM
I have a question for everyone who registered for and got a pro pass--did you have to pay any fees? During the first NYCC all people with a pro pass got in free. The next year many pros had to pay. This year it seems to be mixed. My pro pass didn't cost me a cent, but I know other people who still had to pay. I registered for my pass early, so I think maybe it's a first-come first-served thing, but I'm not sure.

Pat Loika
03-07-2008, 08:17 AM
I have a question for everyone who registered for and got a pro pass--did you have to pay any fees? During the first NYCC all people with a pro pass got in free. The next year many pros had to pay. This year it seems to be mixed. My pro pass didn't cost me a cent, but I know other people who still had to pay. I registered for my pass early, so I think maybe it's a first-come first-served thing, but I'm not sure.

It's first come, first served. Feb. 15 was the deadline for a free pro-pass, I believe.

P.

Bill Nolan
03-07-2008, 08:39 AM
I haven't heard back about my free pro pass application yet, which is probably a good thing. I also have an exhibitor badge lined up, which is even better, but just in case anything happens with that I wanted the back up...

LittleHouse
03-07-2008, 10:26 AM
I haven't heard back about my free pro pass application yet, which is probably a good thing. I also have an exhibitor badge lined up, which is even better, but just in case anything happens with that I wanted the back up...

Neither have I. I had to pay, though.

AndrewG
03-07-2008, 10:40 AM

Had a pro pass last year and didn't have to pay. Also got one for this year and it seems to have no cost associated.

stevapalooza
03-07-2008, 11:46 AM
It's first come, first served. Feb. 15 was the deadline for a free pro-pass, I believe.

P.

Ah ok. That's what I thought. Thanks Pat.

Thomas Mauer
03-07-2008, 11:52 AM
I got the pro badge for free but went for the $7.95 DHL shipping option to have it shipped over. And then I learned that I need to print out an email and bring it to the con and that the badge will be printed on site. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

stevapalooza
03-07-2008, 11:58 AM
I got the pro badge for free but went for the $7.95 DHL shipping option to have it shipped over. And then I learned that I need to print out an email and bring it to the con and that the badge will be printed on site. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

See? That German efficiency can bite you in the ass sometimes. :P

Thomas Mauer
03-07-2008, 12:01 PM
See? That German efficiency can bite you in the ass sometimes. :P

Dude, I called their hotline and the lady called the guy in charge of the badges in turn. Even THAT guy didn't know whether any would actually be printed in advance, so she suggested I wait a few weeks and then ask for my money back if it hasn't arrived, and to print out that email just in case.

A few weeks is almost up. :lol:

stevapalooza
03-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Will this be your first time at the con?

Thomas Mauer
03-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Will this be your first time at the con?

Yes, sir. The only other trade show I've been to as an exhibitor was the Frankfurt Book Fair last year.

stevapalooza
03-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Yes, sir. The only other trade show I've been to as an exhibitor was the Frankfurt Book Fair last year.

Ah welcome then.

Run-BMC
03-08-2008, 02:49 AM

But don't look at him in the eyes, and when he raises his left hand it means he's done with you. Right hand means kiss the rings, bitch.

Also, if you have a table and you're charging for sketches, make sure that people can see right off the bat that you're charging for sketches.

Bill Nolan
03-08-2008, 03:54 AM
Also, if you have a table and you're charging for sketches, make sure that people can see right off the bat that you're charging for sketches.

Mike, if you don't mind me asking, what do you typically charge for con sketches. I plan to seek you out at the Seattle show in May.

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-10-2008, 11:33 AM
bump

MIKE D
03-10-2008, 11:56 AM

P.

MIKE D and Fourthman will be board drink up exclusive this year.

PhilipClark
03-10-2008, 12:01 PM
3rd annual Indie After Party website:

http://catchdacraze.com/IndyParty2008.html

Bald Steve
03-10-2008, 12:29 PM
3rd annual Indie After Party website:

http://catchdacraze.com/IndyParty2008.html

Looks like I'm double-booked on Saturday night.

PhilipClark
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM

No reason you can't go party hopping. Everyone else does.

Jef UK
03-20-2008, 08:48 PM

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/buraj/AmUKHandbill.jpg

THWIP!
03-20-2008, 08:50 PM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/buraj/AmUKHandbill.jpg

That is super cool dude.

Jef UK
03-20-2008, 08:52 PM
That is super cool dude.

Ben Rosen made it!

colleendoran
03-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Get there early and head straight for artists alley on Friday. Most artists will have set up as early as possible that day and some big names will be there. the best art moves fast and if you want a sketch, either contact the artist directly in advance or head right for them as soon as you get to the show. Chances are good almost every artist you want to meet will be in artist alley early on Friday, and even the big names who don't have tables wander through at some point.

c

Flonk
03-21-2008, 09:41 AM

If you'd like, I can PM you my number so if you get lost or dead or something; you (or your next of kin) will have someone to call.

The most important to know is that there are crowds. Get where ever you need to be in the con early, because there will be a line. Take a backpack or something to carry all your crap in.

Taki Soma
03-21-2008, 09:46 AM
I have no advice, for it will be my first NYCCC. But I can't wait.

Flonk
03-21-2008, 09:49 AM

Drunk sketches are my favorite.

The first year of the con, we are at a bar hanging out, and off in the corner there's some guy drawing. When I go to the bathroom, I take a look at what he's drawing, and it's us! His renditions of Ray and Travis are the ones that stick out in my head, but he was drawing everyone at the table. So we invite him over, ad as it turns out he was the lead designer on the Clerks cartoon. So now I have a sketch of Jay in my sketchbook.

Evan the Shaggy
03-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Five words - Watch. out. for. the. beard!

Who's beard? Guess we'll have to wait and find out.

Thomas Mauer
03-21-2008, 03:39 PM

YAY!

I already know what sketch I want from you. :)

Deej
03-21-2008, 04:32 PM
If you'd like, I can PM you my number so if you get lost or dead or something; you (or your next of kin) will have someone to call.

The most important to know is that there are crowds. Get where ever you need to be in the con early, because there will be a line. Take a backpack or something to carry all your crap in.

Are you allowed to bring a backpack on the main floor?? I didn't think so but perhaps I'm wrong.

ZombieSpeedball
03-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Get there early and head straight for artists alley on Friday. Most artists will have set up as early as possible that day and some big names will be there. the best art moves fast and if you want a sketch, either contact the artist directly in advance or head right for them as soon as you get to the show. Chances are good almost every artist you want to meet will be in artist alley early on Friday, and even the big names who don't have tables wander through at some point.

c

Artists Alley on Friday? I'll remember that.

Bill Nolan
03-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Yes, you can bring a backpack. They frown on wheeled hand-trucks, but I've even seen those... :roll:

People bring entire long boxes of stuff to have signed. No one cares about backpacks. A few booths will even be giving away bags which are bigger and more obnoxious than backpacks...

Slewo.O
03-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Okay this is what I'm doing for NYC Con can you guys rate it?

I'm going to use a couple different sketchbooks either for a certain theme like an Iron Fist sketchbook or just for regular ol sketches.

And here's the stuff I need help on.
1) Since there's going to be a shitload of people at the NYC Con what time should I get there?

2) How many comics and original art pages should I bring? There's going to be ALOT of my favorites there so I don't know if it would be a good idea to bring all of them or just some for this con. I really want to bring all of them but is there some way to split it up so I don't break my back or get my stuff checked in coming to NYC? Also if I do bring alot of stuff what's the best way to transport it? Last time I brought my comics it was a bitch to lug them in a duffel back but I don't want to be some guy who goes around with a longbox on a crate or something.

3) What's the most efficient way so I can go to panels, go to signings, and browse artist alley?

4) How much money is advisable? Unfortunately I have a huge list of artists I love that are at NYC so I might post my list of hopefuls and if you guys could tell me how much they usually charge that'd be great.

Thomas Mauer
03-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Read here (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=4458841&postcount=90) for a correction. Sorry!

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Awesome! I hope I get to meet you and Mike at some point!

Drunk sketches are my favorite.

The first year of the con, we are at a bar hanging out, and off in the corner there's some guy drawing. When I go to the bathroom, I take a look at what he's drawing, and it's us! His renditions of Ray and Travis are the ones that stick out in my head, but he was drawing everyone at the table. So we invite him over, ad as it turns out he was the lead designer on the Clerks cartoon. So now I have a sketch of Jay in my sketchbook.

I'm looking forward to some cool drunk sketches. If I just have to buy somebody a drink and they'll give me a cool sketch, it'll be worth it!

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-21-2008, 06:51 PM
So far, the only panel I actually know of that I want to attend is the Venture Brothers panel..Do they list the times for the panels before the con or do they wait until the day of to announce?

Thomas Mauer
03-21-2008, 06:53 PM
So far, the only panel I actually know of that I want to attend is the Venture Brothers panel..Do they list the times for the panels before the con or do they wait until the day of to announce?

CB and I will be rocking his "What it takes to make it in comics" panel. The convention people have confirmed that we can do this. It's gonna be fun and should not be missed!

Bill Nolan
03-21-2008, 06:56 PM

They typically announce the programming prior to the show and have it up on the web site. It will also be in the program book at the con. Get there early for panels, so you can get a seat.

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-21-2008, 06:59 PM
CB and I will be rocking his "What it takes to make it in comics" panel. The convention people have confirmed that we can do this. It's gonna be fun and should not be missed!

I'll try to make it...I have a feeling I'm going to be a little overwhelmed. I want to get a taste of everything. As much fun as that weekend is going to be, I have a feeling I'll be coming home Sunday night friggin' exhausted. :lol:

Flonk
03-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Are you allowed to bring a backpack on the main floor?? I didn't think so but perhaps I'm wrong.

Why wouldn't you be? :mistrust:

Jonathan Callan
03-21-2008, 09:53 PM

I'll email Jonah and see if I can't cover it for CBR. Good luck man.

Thomas Mauer
03-22-2008, 06:41 AM
I'll email Jonah and see if I can't cover it for CBR. Good luck man.

Dude, that would rock. I wanted to read coverage of this panel since CB started it, but that never happened. So it's nice that I'll actually be in the mix first time I'm at a con.

Maybe I should read CB's notes beforehand to not make an ass of myself. :)

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-22-2008, 05:44 PM
What size sketchbook would you guys recommend I bring along with me? I'm looking at this one (http://www.moleskineus.com/largesketch.html) and was wondering what you think.

Bill Nolan
03-22-2008, 05:50 PM
That's OK for freebies, but for paid ones you might want a 8.5x11 or a 9x12, just because sometimes artists don't give a break for a smaller sketch. I know this from experience. Most of my sketchbooks are funky 7x7 ones. Works for me, but I don't get anything over $50 in the small books. I have one big book for anything more expensive...

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-22-2008, 05:54 PM
That's OK for freebies, but for paid ones you might want a 8.5x11 or a 9x12, just because sometimes artists don't give a break for a smaller sketch. I know this from experience. Most of my sketchbooks are funky 7x7 ones. Works for me, but I don't get anything over $50 in the small books. I have one big book for anything more expensive...

Thats what I was looking for. Do you have any recommendations on a certain brand?

Bill Nolan
03-22-2008, 05:58 PM
I think most of the ones I see are Pro Art brand, but any should work out fine. Just as long as the paper is thick enough (not too thin). Not sure what a good weight paper is. At least 65#, probably.

Dave S.
03-22-2008, 06:11 PM
I might be showing up

Slewo.O
03-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I might be showing up

Is your T and A er TA going to come :lol?

Also would I find a good sized sketchbook at Borders? And also can I use a big sized one for freebies too?

Bill Nolan
03-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Borders would have a decent-sized sketch book. And they would be perfectly fine for freebies. Artists don't feel a need to fill the entire page every time. :)

Christian Beranek
03-22-2008, 07:29 PM

True, but don't skip out on Thomas and I rocking the "What It Takes To Make It In Comics" panel on Friday!

Christian Beranek
03-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Dude, that would rock. I wanted to read coverage of this panel since CB started it, but that never happened. So it's nice that I'll actually be in the mix first time I'm at a con.

Maybe I should read CB's notes beforehand to not make an ass of myself. :)

We'll have a battle plan, for sure!

Adam Witt
03-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Bring a backpack in your backpack. For the shit you're bringing, and for the shit you pick up.

Bill Nolan
03-22-2008, 07:39 PM
And bring ibuprofen for the pain in your neck and feet from carrying everything around all day. Seriously. And water.

Adam Witt
03-22-2008, 07:41 PM
And bring ibuprofen for the pain in your neck and feet from carrying everything around all day. Seriously. And water.

Yes. Anything to drink, really. Keeping yourself hydrated during a con without lots of foreplanning is financial suicide.

Brandon191
03-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Make sure to bring some Purell. I got incredibly sick after my first couple of cons.

Bill Nolan
03-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Also, the Chinese buffet they had in the food area at last year's con looked good from a distance, but THAT WAS A DAMNABLE LIE! Eat elsewhere!

Albert
03-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Get in your Airship and head to Gaia. Find the spring and use the Faerie to retrieve the Oxyale. Although the spring is to the northeast of you, you'll have to go west and circle around to get to it. Release the Faerie from your Key Items Menu.

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Get in your Airship and head to Gaia. Find the spring and use the Faerie to retrieve the Oxyale. Although the spring is to the northeast of you, you'll have to go west and circle around to get to it. Release the Faerie from your Key Items Menu.

Is Gaia close to the convention center?

Dave S.
03-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Is Gaia close to the convention center?

not really, that's why you need the airship. It's way the fuck out on Long Island. You could take the Long Island Rail Road, but those trains are few and far between.

thatguyfromsyracuse
03-22-2008, 08:04 PM
not really, that's why you need the airship. It's way the fuck out on Long Island. You could take the Long Island Rail Road, but those trains are few and far between.

Well, then I probably won't go. I don't want to mess with all of that.

Thomas Mauer
03-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Here's some con advice: At the Markosia booth, we will be selling packs of three trades for a total of $5 to clear out our stock of the old format TPBs. Stop by there and load up. Choice of trades is up to the fans, of course. ;)

Okay, just talked to Harry on the phone and he corrected me on this.

The old batch of trades before we switched printers and cover dress last year will be sold like this: Buy 1 TPB for $5 and get $10 worth of single issues for free.

Looks like the 2007+ trades will be sold at discounted prices.

Sorry for the wrong information before. I'd misunderstood!

Bill Nolan
04-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Top Cow is bringing Phil Hester to the con. Just saw his name in the programming tonight. Sweet!

Matt O'Keefe
04-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Anyone know if JRSR will sign/do sketches?

Jef UK
04-02-2008, 05:50 PM

:heart: :heart:

Supreme Convoy
04-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I've only been to two conventions: Comic-Con 2007 and Wizard World LA 2008. Here's what I can tell you...

-Before attending the convention, look at the official site along with major publishers or creators' site to see signing schedule. It'll help plan your days.

-Fortunately I live around or know people live around the conventions so I don't have to worry about hotel prices. But definitely factor that in your budget.

-Don't forget to account for food expenses! Convention food/snacks might be expensive so I bring granola bars to hold me over until I go out for a meal.

-At Comic-Con, I was on a budget but ended up spending about $250 the whole weekend (food, parking, stuff). And $100 at Wizard World (most stuff). And that was enough money to have fun with.

-If you feel like not spending any money, go to a panel! They're pretty fun.

-Obviously you're going to probably bring comics to get signed. But don't worry if you forget something, there's plenty of retailers on site in case you forget something.

-On a related note, I try to bring only a few comics to be signed by an individual, books that I really love. I'd rather have one book signed and spend a couple of minutes to chat and shake hands than 100 issues autographed.

At Wizard World LA, someone brought boxes of books to be signed. The guy even had the books in the bag & boarded with a large rectangle cut in the bag, designating where to sign. I think Bendis even mentioned this in a podcast. I know the guy was a huge fan but it does seem a little rude to have every single copy of Transmetropolitan signed when the line is already long.

Then again, Robert Kirkman was very generous to sign the stack of books I had (so I sound like a hypocrite). Use your best judgment when it comes how many books you want sign and how long the line is.

-The lines can be pretty long. I waited an hour & a half to meet Tim Sale. Then I immediately spent another hour & a half to meet Jeph Loeb at a different booth. I've also waited 10 minutes to meet Greg Rucka; it really depends. So be prepared to wait in long lines. I wish I brought a Gameboy... at least you have stuff to read!

-Since I don't want to carry lots of comics, I bring a sketchbook for artists to sketch in. And writers can sign in it too like a yearbook if I don't have any of their comics.

-As for how early to arrive at conventions, it varies. In San Diego, it has a super long line to get in so I jumped in line an hour in advance. At Wizard World, it was pretty quick. I practically got there at the opening and was in immediately.

-Wear comfortable shoes! And bring deodorant. Seriously.

-Prices for sketches vary. At the DC booth, you can get free ones pending on time & how long the line is. (I've never had any luck getting sketches at Marvel's booth). But at Artist Alley, you can get sketches/commissions. It can range from free to $200. But if you love an artist, it's worth it so save up your pennies.

-I also have to add that you can score some great deals on stuff. On the last day, you can find retailers trying to get rid of merchandise for cheap since they don't want to lug it back home. You can also try to haggle during purchases. I wanted two paperbacks that were originally $34 total and it was down to $17. I politely asked if I can offer $15. The guy thought about it for a second and took it. (A lesson learned from SModcast :) ).

-Bring a camera to take lots of pictures and post them here! And back up batteries or memory cards.

Thomas Mauer
04-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Top Cow is bringing Phil Hester to the con. Just saw his name in the programming tonight. Sweet!

YAY! I get to booze with Phil, after all. :D

stevapalooza
04-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Don't bother hitting on slave Leia. She's an attention whore, not a whore whore.

Mellon
04-03-2008, 04:36 PM
HEY

NOT ALL ARTISTS WILL BE IN ARTISTS ALLEY.

some, in fact, A LOT, will be on the floor in the small press section, and in the main exhibitor section (artists alley sold out a long time ago, forcing many creators to get space on the MAIN floor).

INCLUDING:

Tony Moore
Rick Remender
Eric Powell
Steve Niles
Kevin Mellon
Jamal Igle

Tony asked me to say that his booth will be 1569
Mellon is at the Cadence Comic Art booth at 2821

there are many others NOT in artists alley.

(i only list myself cuz i'm a shameless whore. but the point still stands... make sure you check the websites/forums of people you want to meet/get sketches from).

Criden
04-03-2008, 04:39 PM
HEY

NOT ALL ARTISTS WILL BE IN ARTISTS ALLEY.

some, in fact, A LOT, will be on the floor in the small press section, and in the main exhibitor section (artists alley sold out a long time ago, forcing many creators to get space on the MAIN floor).

INCLUDING:

Tony Moore
Rick Remender
Eric Powell
Steve Niles
Kevin Mellon
Jamal Igle

Tony asked me to say that his booth will be 1569
Mellon is at the Cadence Comic Art booth at 2821

there are many others NOT in artists alley.

(i only list myself cuz i'm a shameless whore. but the point still stands... make sure you check the websites/forums of people you want to meet/get sketches from).

MELLON, I'm hoping to get a sketch from you.

Thomas Mauer
04-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Joshua Hagler will be at the Markosia booth, for example. I think we're working on getting Joe DeVito to come as well. Tony Lee will do signings at the booth.

I asked to get the email info for all the people who are coming to work out a signing schedule. Will keep you all informed.

Jef UK
04-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Don't bother hitting on slave Leia. She's an attention whore, not a whore whore.

:lol:

thatguyfromsyracuse
04-03-2008, 04:54 PM

I think I might give it a try anyway. It'd be nice to bring a date to the party Saturday night.

Bill Nolan
04-03-2008, 04:58 PM
I think I might give it a try anyway. It'd be nice to bring a date to the party Saturday night.

Aren't you a little short for BenBoarder?

Bill Nolan
04-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Anyone else not realize that Mark Millar is going to be there? He's got a "Wanted" panel and now that I've searched, I've seen one or two off-hand mentions (even from him) that he will be there. Not being played up at all... :mistrust:

thatguyfromsyracuse
04-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Anyone else not realize that Mark Millar is going to be there? He's got a "Wanted" panel and now that I've searched, I've seen one or two off-hand mentions (even from him) that he will be there. Not being played up at all... :mistrust:

I don't think I knew that actually, I saw the Wanted panel, but I figured it was just going to be people who made the movie, which I don't really care about.

ShortStack
04-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Also, the Chinese buffet they had in the food area at last year's con looked good from a distance, but THAT WAS A DAMNABLE LIE! Eat elsewhere!

Oh my word NEVER EVER eat anything at the Javits. There's a diner on 7th street (possibly called the skyline diner, i'm not sure) a few blocks up that is tasty. Although if you want to eat there they'll probably charge you extra if you don't buy a piece of cheesecake and leave it at the spacedog booth.
Just saying.

Phil Hester
04-03-2008, 05:41 PM
YAY! I get to booze with Phil, after all. :D

I'm a teetotaller, but I like to watch others drink.

See y'all there!

Bill Nolan
04-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Phil,

I just figured out tonight that both you AND Mark Millar are going to be there. So I'm bringing one of my two custom hardcovers featuring your Swamp Thing run to have you both sign (and maybe Grant Morrison, too, if I can ever get close to him):

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g104/wanolan/hardcovers/nolan_jan.jpg

Nick Spencer
04-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Phil,

I just figured out tonight that both you AND Mark Millar are going to be there. So I'm bringing one of my two custom hardcovers featuring your Swamp Thing run to have you both sign (and maybe Grant Morrison, too, if I can ever get close to him):

Is there an emoticon for envy?

Phil Hester
04-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Phil,

Wow!

Look for me at Top Cow and maybe CBLDF. Top Cow is your best bet. I can't wait to sign those!
-P

RichJohnston
04-04-2008, 04:01 AM
Joshua Hagler will be at the Markosia booth, for example. I think we're working on getting Joe DeVito to come as well. Tony Lee and Rich Johnston will do signings at the booth.

I bloody will not. Not unless someone offers to fly me out, put me up and pay for childcare for a month old baby...

Thomas Mauer
04-04-2008, 06:26 AM
I bloody will not. Not unless someone offers to fly me out, put me up and pay for childcare for a month old baby...

Oh? I had heard you were. Ah well.

Jef UK
04-04-2008, 06:54 AM

Oh? I had heard you were. Ah well.

How does it feel to be on the other end of the rumor mill, Rich? Not so good does it? :sad:

Congrats, btw.

majorjoe23
04-06-2008, 02:46 PM
I was organizing some books today and pulled out what I'm taking to get signed.

The four Sleeper TPBs (already signed by Brubaker) for Phillips to sign. I actually took all these to SDCC a few years back, only to find out neither Brubaker nor Phillips was there.

The New Frontier Absolute Edition. I'm hoping Cooke will add a Supergirl to mine, like I've seen him do in other people's copies.

Marvel Zombies hardcover.

Matt O'Keefe
04-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Phil,

Where do you get those bound up?

Bill Nolan
04-06-2008, 02:55 PM
http://www.dpbanks.com/

The site is being upgraded right now, but there are specifics in the blog entries (prices are mentioned in the 3/1 entry).

The Goddamn Schweitz!
04-06-2008, 03:35 PM
I was organizing some books today and pulled out what I'm taking to get signed.

The four Sleeper TPBs (already signed by Brubaker) for Phillips to sign. I actually took all these to SDCC a few years back, only to find out neither Brubaker nor Phillips was there.

The New Frontier Absolute Edition. I'm hoping Cooke will add a Supergirl to mine, like I've seen him do in other people's copies.

Marvel Zombies hardcover.

Do you know how much it costs for him to do that? Cause I'd be interested in doing something like that too if it's not too costly.

Bill Nolan
04-06-2008, 03:38 PM
When I saw Cooke do that, it was basically the way he signed the book, with no charge. It really isn't much more than a vague outline of a sketch.

joshdahl
04-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Here's some good advice....

Swing by Booth 2352
and pick up one of THESE:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3029/2393790069_9aee5e1ba3.jpg?v=0
That's my book and I am super proud of it.
You can meet me, and artist Matt Bowers there as well.

Josh Dahl

ShortStack
04-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Oh yeah, and have they started issuing purple hearts to those who were at the first NY Comic Con?
Seriously, what a friggin' mess..

thatguyfromsyracuse
04-06-2008, 06:14 PM
I think this is the longest that a thread I've started has ever gone. I should probably add "advice" to the rest of them, people seem to like that. :lol:

The Goddamn Schweitz!
04-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Oh yeah, and have they started issuing purple hearts to those who were at the first NY Comic Con?

Yeah, worst con experience ever....but that may have been because of the car accident that I had on Sunday heading to the con...but still, fucking nightmare.

And for the Cooke advice, thanks!

Bald Steve
04-06-2008, 06:52 PM
http://www.dpbanks.com/

The site is being upgraded right now, but there are specifics in the blog entries (prices are mentioned in the 3/1 entry).

Thanks for posting that, Bill! I'm going to shipping off the entire run of 100 Bullets as soon as it is complete. Here's a question (which maybe I should direct to the guy offering the service, but hell - I thought you might know): Can this dude take pre-existing trades and bound them into single volumes? I was thinking about doing Ultimates Volumes 1 & 2 as a single volume, but I have the first series as two separate trades.

Flonk
04-06-2008, 07:23 PM

Saturday, I snuck in the back door and was afraid to leave for the rest of the day. I had to eat a bag of peanuts for luncch! :lol:

I did get tons of sketches that day, though.

SteveFlack
04-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Don't worry about making any plans, because you're just going to throw them all away when you get there anyway.

-Steve!

Bill Nolan
04-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Thanks for posting that, Bill! I'm going to shipping off the entire run of 100 Bullets as soon as it is complete. Here's a question (which maybe I should direct to the guy offering the service, but hell - I thought you might know): Can this dude take pre-existing trades and bound them into single volumes? I was thinking about doing Ultimates Volumes 1 & 2 as a single volume, but I have the first series as two separate trades.

I know people have done it, but I don't know the specifics. Definitely e-mail David and ask. Also, this board has lots of info (including a thread on binding trades with single issues):

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/forums/2

Bill Nolan
04-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Don't worry about making any plans, because you're just going to throw them all away when you get there anyway.

-Steve!

Best advice of the thread. Totally true. Go in with a game plan, but don't plan on following it at all.

RichJohnston
04-07-2008, 03:53 AM
How does it feel to be on the other end of the rumor mill, Rich? Not so good does it? :sad:

No. I want to send a death threat now.

Tony Moore
04-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Hey, gang. As some of you know, i'll be attending the New York Comic Con this year for the very first time. Kara and I are planning big, as it will be the biggest show for us this year.

So, here is where you come in. We are looking to hire one or possibly two workers to help us at the convention. The work is light and short (2-3 hours a day at most), plus you can earn some extra cash for the show! If you are interested, please fill out the questions below and email them to Kara at Artsales@tonymooreillustration.com

1. Please tell us a little about yourself and why you want to work for us.

2. What are some of your favorite comics?

3. How long will you be at the show each day?

4. Have you ever been to a comic convention before, and if so, how many?

5. Have you ever worked at a comic convention before, and if so, for whom?

6. Please tell us anything else you think would qualify you for this position.

Thanks, and sorry if this is too spammy!
-T

Jef UK
04-09-2008, 01:26 PM
For those of you so inclineed and who may not have seen it in the other thread, Fourthman made a sig for Sat night. Use it!

http://homepage.mac.com/fourthman/.Pictures/4showsig.jpg

LittleHouse
04-10-2008, 06:41 AM
Going to the nycc as a first-time creator, and I was wondering if anyone could offer some insight into what usually goes on before the doors open to the public on Friday.

I mean, I'm aware of the artist alley handjobs and writer orgies, but what if you're someone like me who doesn't have a booth? ;)

Thomas Mauer
04-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Going to the nycc as a first-time creator, and I was wondering if anyone could offer some insight into what usually goes on before the doors open to the public on Friday.

I mean, I'm aware of the artist alley handjobs and writer orgies, but what if you're someone like me who doesn't have a booth? ;)

You got a pro pass? Then I suppose you can be on the floor and at the panels when the show opens.

Jef UK
04-10-2008, 10:52 AM

It's a lot more relaxed and you have a better chance of getting some face time with editors and creators and the like. Saturday is insane.

You should come to our afterparty on Sat. too.

Bill Nolan
04-11-2008, 05:48 AM
More advice: the Pope is coming to NYC the same weekend as the con. Traveling in the city Fri.-Sun. could be made problematic by that. As far as I can tell, His Holiness is not planning to make a surprise appearance at the con.

If you wish to see the Pope:

On Saturday April 19th, 2008 the Holy Father will be travelling up 5th Avenue from the area of St. Patrick's Cathedral to 72nd Street in the popemobile at 1:15 PM.

Join the thousands coming out to greet the Holy Father and receive his blessing. No tickets are necessary. This event is open to the public. Note: This is standing room only. We suggest that you arrive early.

thatguyfromsyracuse
04-11-2008, 06:09 AM
More advice: the Pope is coming to NYC the same weekend as the con. Traveling in the city Fri.-Sun. could be made problematic by that. As far as I can tell, His Holiness is not planning to make a surprise appearance at the con.

If you wish to see the Pope:

I wanted to get an awesome Jesus sketch from him though!!

MIKE D
04-11-2008, 06:11 AM
I wanted to get an awesome Jesus sketch from him though!!

I want to challenge him to a match of Strip Guitar Hero.

Pat Loika
04-11-2008, 06:12 AM

We're supposed to have a dance off.

P.

Evan the Shaggy
04-11-2008, 06:12 AM

What was the whole chopfest thing from previous wizard worlds?

Yeah, me and the pope could do that.

thatguyfromsyracuse
04-11-2008, 06:13 AM

You get bet pink slips. You could win the Popemobile!!

MIKE D
04-11-2008, 06:13 AM

P.

Ha!

thatguyfromsyracuse
04-11-2008, 06:14 AM

P.

We are? Sadly, I have trouble acting like a fool in front of a bunch of people I'll be meeting for the first time. :lol:

Pat Loika
04-11-2008, 06:15 AM
Ha!

You should see my new moves.

P.

Evan the Shaggy
04-11-2008, 06:18 AM
You should see my new moves.

P.

Next Saturday, we having a dance off in the room haha. I'll show you some pop and lock shit.

Pat Loika
04-11-2008, 06:26 AM
Next Saturday, we having a dance off in the room haha. I'll show you some pop and lock shit.

You'll be the first to experience my new move, which I call 'blunt force impact.'

P.

Evan the Shaggy
04-11-2008, 06:33 AM
You'll be the first to experience my new move, which I call 'blunt force impact.'

P.

Haha, I wonder how many exploits from that night are gonna find their way on youtube?

thatguyfromsyracuse
04-11-2008, 06:35 AM

P.

Haha, I wonder how many exploits from that night are gonna find their way on youtube?

I hope I have a room right next to you guys. It seems like it would be the source of much entertainment.

Pat Loika
04-11-2008, 06:38 AM
I hope I have a room right next to you guys. It seems like it would be the source of much entertainment.

Our room will have a revolving cast of characters, which is hilarious enough! You'll never know who's staying there! :lol:

P.

stevapalooza
04-11-2008, 10:27 PM

It's great. You get to walk around with the pros like a fancy man. At the first con a bunch of us went outside and plundered the common folk. We came back with a rich haul of wallet chains, geeky t-shirts, and 13 cosplay maidens who we ravaged behind the Archie comics booth. We also decapitated a few random geeks and hung their heads over the main entrance, just in case revenge was on anyone's mind. Needless to say our horde was not challenged that day!