PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Avengers 10 thread!! Spoilers!!

BENDIS!
03-06-2008, 09:17 PM
RETRO TIME TRAVEL BAGLEY INCLUDING THE BEST IDEA TOM AND I HAVE EVER HAD...

THE RETURN OF THE MARVEL GUTTER HYPES!!

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/news/120483973384962.htm

greg donovan
03-06-2008, 09:18 PM
that looks like so much fun!

cant wait to read it.

Lord Jermaine Retail
I saw this on the list of books for next week that came with the Marvel preview copies (no there was no actual preview copy) but I just wasn't sure if it was true or not. I swear Avengers comics are like some kind of drug or something...

Simps
So goddamn cool. I initially just wanted to get this arc over with to get to the Skrulls, but this is turning out to be a really awesome story.

Ashwin Pande
03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Ahhhh... so were the thought balloons leading up to this arc?

That's pretty cool.

LOVE the coloring.

Kirblar
03-06-2008, 09:22 PM
The coloring is fucking amazing.

I wish they'd re-do the coloring when reprinting older comics. It would make them much more readable.

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Wow. I don't even know what to say about that. As someone who came up on 80s comics and can appreciate old comics, this is good stuff. Can't wait to find out more about the decision to present the time travel issue itself in this format.

And I've been waiting to see the rest of the scene that is looks like we're getting for a long, long time. Next week can't get here fast enough!

Pat Loika
03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
'Continued after next page'...brilliant!

Taxman
03-06-2008, 09:28 PM

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
03-06-2008, 09:34 PM
So much fun.

Lyfeforce
03-06-2008, 09:56 PM
HA!

now that's some awesome stuff and I'm buying two copies.

Matt Jay
03-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Glorious.

"Physician, heal thyself."

:lol:

JLTeichtman
03-06-2008, 10:22 PM
What is a MARVEL GUTTER HYPES?

Big Poot!
03-06-2008, 10:34 PM
What is a MARVEL GUTTER HYPES?

The little words at the bottom of the page that say stuff like, "The Mighty Thor in hand-to-hand combat with evil Loki-On Sale Now!"

Those gutter hypes rule!!!!!

dj127
03-06-2008, 11:26 PM
bagley's art really fit the coloring...AWESOME!

Maestro
03-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Nice... that looks more 80's than 60's

antithesis
03-07-2008, 12:07 AM
this is amazing. reading the preview made me feel like i was a kid again. i hope the ads are ones where i can sell a bunch of things, and then redeem the sales for prizes, and ones for hostess cakes and such. that would be glorious.

stillman
03-07-2008, 04:15 AM
it'd be great if this were printed on old-school newsprint-y paper instead of the current magazine-y stock they use.

DC Camel
03-07-2008, 04:28 AM
Bring back the old thought balloons, gutter hypes...what about bringing back the old prices!

Akira
03-07-2008, 05:38 AM
Those gutter hypes just made me plotz! :D

David Price
03-07-2008, 05:43 AM
I LOVE this issue. The art was solid (a fear it won't be at times when there's more than one inker) and Justin did an awesome job with the colors.

My laugh out loud moment was the panel with Iron Man and Dr. Doom and Doom's response when he was called "a horror".

Awesome issue, guys. Give yourselves a hand.

It'll be tough to see Bagley leave after the next one.

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-07-2008, 06:26 AM
My laugh out loud moment was the panel with Iron Man and Dr. Doom and Doom's response when he was called "a horror".

Where was that? :mistrust:

Ben Rosen
03-07-2008, 06:58 AM
wow, the gutter hype thing is amazing. they actually used to do that?

Bedlam66
03-07-2008, 08:33 AM
This looks fantastic.

Cth
03-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Looking forward to the inevitable ALL POG AVENGERS ISSUE!

Ben
03-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Is it printed on newsprint?

nihilance
03-07-2008, 09:22 AM
The little words at the bottom of the page that say stuff like, "The Mighty Thor in hand-to-hand combat with evil Loki-On Sale Now!"

Those gutter hypes rule!!!!!

Strange that they are called Gutter Hypes since that isn't the gutter of the page.:-?

I'd much rather see editor's notes (As seen in Avengers #230!)

Albert
03-07-2008, 09:24 AM
I can't wait to buy and read this!

Marcdachamp
03-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Looking forward to the inevitable ALL POG AVENGERS ISSUE!

Don't get our hopes up!!!!

PeterSparker
03-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Wow, and I never usually look at previews anyway, but this is WAY COOL! Can't wait to read it.

sonnylarue
03-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Very Funny, It Makes Me Feel Like I'm 10 Yrs Old Again.

Arion
03-07-2008, 12:16 PM
This looks fantastic.

Yes, it does.

Greenville 90210
03-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Now the battle you've been waiting for - Ghost Rider vs. the Hulk!

:rofl:

juampi
03-07-2008, 12:30 PM
That first page is perfect, it screams 80's.

Roman Noodles
03-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Wow, I am seriously digging the art. I may have to start picking up MA again.

bartleby
03-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Am I the only one who hasn't been able to get this website to load?

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Now the battle you've been waiting for - Ghost Rider vs. the Hulk!

:rofl:

Don't laugh. This is the issue.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/ghost-rider/10-20.jpg

All that stuff appears to reference real Marvel Comics and seems to let us know when the issue takes place.

Foolish Mortal
03-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Nice... that looks more 80's than 60's
Well the Marvel timeline is pretty compressed. It looks like a mixture of late 70's and early 80's time period.

The Sentry is wearing his earliest costume, so that suggests this takes place in the early days of the modern Marvel heroes era.

Dusty
03-10-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm missing Mark Bagley already, but what a way to go out! Old school greatness at it's best. I love seeing a comic that's not afraid of being a comic like this preview is. It's what quickly won me over to the side of Brand New Day, much to my chagrin. :Oops: (and Phil Jimenez's art helps! Good golley, did you see his Spidey stuff, guys? Would love to see him doing some Avengers, for sure.)

:surrend:

Greenville 90210
03-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Don't laugh. This is the issue.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/ghost-rider/10-20.jpg

All that stuff appears to reference real Marvel Comics and seems to let us know when the issue takes place.

That's really awesome!

03-10-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm missing Mark Bagley already, but what a way to go out! Old school greatness at it's best. I love seeing a comic that's not afraid of being a comic like this preview is. It's what quickly won me over to the side of Brand New Day, much to my chagrin. :Oops: (and Phil Jimenez's art helps! Good golley, did you see his Spidey stuff, guys? Would love to see him doing some Avengers, for sure.)

:surrend:

Honestly, I thought this last ASM issue was some of the weakest work I've ever seen from Jimenez. I dunno, maybe he's spoiled me in the past and I've come to expect more from him, but this just diesn't hold up to his past work.

Also, welcome back, man.

(wait- are we allowed to say that?)

Dusty
03-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Honestly, I thought this last ASM issue was some of the weakest work I've ever seen from Jimenez. I dunno, maybe he's spoiled me in the past and I've come to expect more from him, but this just diesn't hold up to his past work.

Also, welcome back, man.

(wait- are we allowed to say that?)

I hope you're allowed. :scared:

Thank you.

Zeppe
03-11-2008, 05:16 AM
I do love Mark Bagley but his Might Avengers work wasn't doing it for me. Until seeing those pages! Those look so much better!

wh park
03-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Thank you Bendis and co. for doing a comic that takes me back to my childhood.

danlomb
03-12-2008, 02:53 AM
out this week, right?

rockin'...

but will Sentry's 'The General' make a retro-appearance!?/tumbleweed

David Price
03-12-2008, 09:39 AM
I LOVE this issue. The art was solid (a fear it won't be at times when there's more than one inker) and Justin did an awesome job with the colors.

Awesome issue, guys. Give yourselves a hand.

It'll be tough to see Bagley leave after the next one.

This is the panel I'm referring to:

taking place after Doom questions the sanity of Sentry

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c126/dap9972/tonyvictor.jpg

Jim T.
03-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Where was that? :mistrust:

When Doom expresses admiration for Mastermind wiping the world's memory.

This issue was big fun - I thought it wrapped up a little too quick and easy, but then I guess we'd all be giving Bendis shit for dragging it out for 2 issues! ;-)

RedX123
03-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I need some spoilers.

ca35
03-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I hope Bagley does'nt stay on the book. Already thinking of dropping it as it is.

Fake Pat
03-12-2008, 02:46 PM
I hope Bagley does'nt stay on the book. Already thinking of dropping it as it is.

He isn't. Maleev does a couple, then Koi Pham takes over.

I hear you though. After Maleev I'm done.

David Price
03-12-2008, 02:46 PM
You won't have to worry. His last issue is #11.

Zac Goyette
03-12-2008, 02:56 PM
I haven't enjoyed Dr. Doom this much since Waid/Wieringo. Great job on the story, and I love the way Doom and Tony are going back and forth. The last page was a great cliffhanger.

Zac Goyette
03-12-2008, 02:59 PM

Really? Why?! I am loving seeing Bagley on something other than Spidey. I love Ultimate Spider-man and his run on it, but it was a great change of pace.

DC Camel
03-12-2008, 04:23 PM
For those of you who aren't digging Bagley's art is there anything specific? Just curious.

Fake Pat
03-12-2008, 04:50 PM
For those of you who aren't digging Bagley's art is there anything specific? Just curious.

Personally I think his art looks consistently inconsistent, if that makes any sense.

His stuff has always looked sloppy and rushed to me.

PeterSparker
03-12-2008, 08:33 PM
This comic was a BLAST!

Doctor Doom has seen "Planet of the Apes?" That is hard to picture. :D

And I think Bagley did an awesome job on this issue. I think he's ending his Marvel run in style.

Good stuff all the way around!

RedX123
03-14-2008, 12:22 AM
I gotta say you're turning me around Bendis. MA #10 was a blast. The interaction between Doom, Sentry and Iron Man was perfect.

ValeriaK
03-14-2008, 05:34 AM
It has been said a thousand times over that no matter what you do in the past you just can't change the future... how many times have we read that if you change the past you merely create an alternate timeline instead of disrupting the original's flow??? I think guys like Tony Stark and Dr Doom should know this... if not have them re-read Avengers Forever :p

Cth
03-14-2008, 06:28 AM
Age of Apocalypse, House of M and others disagree with you.

DC Camel
03-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Well if you create an alternate timeline branch wouldn't you be stuck on that branch with no hope of returning to the original timeline?

Foolish Mortal
03-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Well if you create an alternate timeline branch wouldn't you be stuck on that branch with no hope of returning to the original timeline?
They've altered the rules of time-travel a little in the past few years. You can go forward and backwards through your timeline, but if you change any events, alternate timelines will still be created.

ValeriaK
03-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Age of Apocalypse, House of M and others disagree with you.

House of M was a recreation of the reality, it wasn't "go back in time and make daddy leader", she reshaped the entire reality... and Age of Apocalypse still exists as Earth 295 so it is an alternate reality that was created by altering a past event, so no they don't disagree with what Avengers Forever has stablished regarding time-travel

RebootedCorpse
03-15-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm gonna make the call: Best Bendis issue of Avengers, so far!

03-15-2008, 08:29 AM
I'll call it the best issue of Mighty Avengers so far.

InigoMontoya
03-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Everything about this issue was great! I nearly past Deadpool 11 as the best time traval episode ever! Iron Fist vs Batroc the Leader sounds so cool!

I really liked the excessive use of punctuation! I think all comics should be wrote that way!

Netley
03-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Bring back the old thought balloons, gutter hypes...what about bringing back the old prices!

HA!

Seriously though, this issue was incredible! Am I the only one getting an Alan Moore Supreme vibe from this (especially that first page!)?

Bendis gets Doom's voice like few others, and has managed to demonstrate this in 1 1/2 issues. Wow.

This was the perfect arc for Bagley, as he is one of the rare people who is both modern and retro at the same time (if that makes any sense).

And time travel! I love time travel! And the retro/postmodern aspect really plays well with the Sentry also, especially the Paul Jenkins cameo early new Avengers arc.

Top. Notch. Keep doing what you're doing, guys!!!

IPeacock
03-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Personally I think his art looks consistently inconsistent, if that makes any sense.

His stuff has always looked sloppy and rushed to me.

I feel the same way. I think best case scenario his art is adequate. I love Ultimate Spiderman, but I really wish it was drawn by someone else.

Fake Pat
03-16-2008, 06:17 PM
I feel the same way. I think best case scenario his art is adequate. I love Ultimate Spiderman, but I really wish it was drawn by someone else.

Have you been buying the Immonen ones?

Jerome Gibbons
03-16-2008, 06:25 PM
You know, I don't read this book or New Avengers anymore, but I was curious about this one since the previews looked kind of interesting. I gotta say, I thought it was good. Had a pretty cool old school flair to it, and the little ads at the bottom were brilliant. I have to admit it: even though Bendis' Avengers have been mostly just okay over the past three years, I really liked this one.

Just wish they'd do something about the Sentry. Can't stand the insecure mess he's written as. I'd like to see him go back to kicking ass (that all being said, I really felt for him in the scene where he noticed Stark Tower was missing; it was kind of moving seeing him despair like that).

Jerome Gibbons
03-16-2008, 06:33 PM
It has been said a thousand times over that no matter what you do in the past you just can't change the future...

There have also been plenty of Marvel stories where the other theory of time travel (that you CAN change the future) applies. McDuffe did a pretty swell job at reconciling the two seemingly contradicting plot devices in his last issue of FF.

As I recall, what he says, basically, is that both things apply depending on how significant the change you bring about to the timeline is. If it's big enough, then yes, you'll wind up creating an alternate timeline, but if it's not, the timeline WILL change on its own. Now, what exactly constitutes a "significant" change seemed to be a bit arbitrary in that issue (at least if I recall correctly, it's been a while since I read it), which would seem to imply that there's really no way that characters in the comic can determine when a change is significant or not, which gels with Tony trying to be as careful as possible in enacting change in this issue.

IPeacock
03-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Have you been buying the Immonen ones?
I only buy the harcovers, but i've been reeding the issues at Barnes & Nobles and I like the writing even more with the change in artist, as odd as that sounds. I think immonen is a change in the right direction but he's not my first pick for that book. Not to sound overly nit-pickey. So far David Finch was my favorite artist who drew Ult Spiderman.
There was always something about Bagleys art that never grabbed me.

To clarify the first post, I meant that I wish someone else had been drawing it from the begining.

RedX123
03-17-2008, 02:13 AM
I'll call it the best issue of Mighty Avengers so far.

Agreed :up:

Dreg
03-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Bagley needs to get on FF sometime soon. He draws a kickass Thing.

David Price
03-17-2008, 10:39 AM
You're right, he does! But we're gonna have to wait awhile for that unfortunately.

ValeriaK
03-17-2008, 06:57 PM
There have also been plenty of Marvel stories where the other theory of time travel (that you CAN change the future) applies. McDuffe did a pretty swell job at reconciling the two seemingly contradicting plot devices in his last issue of FF.

As I recall, what he says, basically, is that both things apply depending on how significant the change you bring about to the timeline is. If it's big enough, then yes, you'll wind up creating an alternate timeline, but if it's not, the timeline WILL change on its own. Now, what exactly constitutes a "significant" change seemed to be a bit arbitrary in that issue (at least if I recall correctly, it's been a while since I read it), which would seem to imply that there's really no way that characters in the comic can determine when a change is significant or not, which gels with Tony trying to be as careful as possible in enacting change in this issue.

I didn't get McDuffie's last issue of FF yet, I get my comics like a month after they're published :(

coleswanger
03-18-2008, 12:15 PM

Not too soon. I'm of the belief that Mr. Hitch draws a mean Thing.

gregorv
03-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Bendis...did u write this arc with the intention to give the finger to whoever accused you of decompressing? anyways, good issue, Bagley's art looks much better with the old school stuff and the story was cool, cant wait till next issue!

HomerGator
03-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Finally read it today, and I have to say that this was my favorite issue so far! I don't know what it was about the art, exactly, but it was some of Bagley's best work. Great job by Brian throughout the issue, as usual, but a really great job on the scene in which the Sentry sees... the Sentry. That really just fucked Bob's world up, right there.

And of course Doom is gone, you idiots! He's going to blow up the-...oh. Well, you already know now, I guess.