PDA

View Full Version : Fuck, I have to admit it.... I still like Korn

Jason California
03-02-2008, 08:45 PM
There I said it.

Issues, Follow the Leader, and Life is Peachy are good albums.

Slewo.O
03-02-2008, 08:48 PM
As in Children of the Korn?

artimoff
03-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I still dig them too.

dasNdanger
03-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Me too. I don't care if a band goes mainstream, or what. I like what I like (hey, I like the uber-popular Woverine, don't I?)...and if a sound works for me, I'll listen. (Besides, Coming Undone got me through the summer of '06 - no idea what I would have done without that song...)

das

Jason California
03-02-2008, 08:56 PM
As in Children of the Korn?

Are you "one with he who walks behind the rows"? I have never watched those movies but in high school drama there were 2 chicks that absolutely loved those movies and would say that all of the time.

I still dig them too.

That makes me feel better. You have good taste in music.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
03-02-2008, 08:57 PM
I love everything up to Issues, everything after I just don't care much for.

Jason California
03-02-2008, 08:58 PM

That pretty much covers al of the ones I put up there:)

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
There I said it.

Likewise.

I still think they peaked with Issues, but there are a few gems here and there on their last few albums like "Throw Me Away" and "Love Song," but nothing brilliant.

03-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Yes, although you forgot to mention their selftitled release, which is easily, and by miles, their best album.

Jason California
03-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Yes, although you forgot to mention their selftitled release, which is easily, and by miles, their best album.

Actually I didn't.

I have not heard the whole album so can't make the same kind of comment as I did with the others.

03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Aw man, get it. If you're any kind of Korn fan, that's the own must-own album.

Bedlam66
03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
I still like Korn. the last thing I heard from them was Twisted transistor and I liked it alot.

SteveFlack
03-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Some fan you are, you totally misspelled their name.

I believe that there should be a backwards "R" in there.

-Steve!

Ashwin Pande
03-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Never been a big fan. I like a couple songs here and there but I wouldn't miss them if they fell off the face of the earth.

Ditto for Green Day.

And I think Offspring actually has fallen off the face of the earth.

Jason California
03-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Some fan you are, you totally misspelled their name.

I believe that there should be a backwards "R" in there.

-Steve!

D'oh!

dasNdanger
03-02-2008, 09:27 PM
I liked Twisted Transitor, too. Like Evolution on their new CD...a lot.

das

TheHanna
03-02-2008, 09:59 PM
I nearly vomit every time I hear anything by them. And I used to fucking LOVE them. Jon Davis' voice makes me want to shove rusty ice picks in my ears and keep them there until I get tuberculosis.

I think I just got sick of the kids who were like "Only JD knows my pain! My daddy looked at me funny once, like he was going to touch me, but really he was looking at my mom, but I was so scared for those 3 seconds! Only Jonathan knows the pain!!!!111!!11" All of his lyrics are the same angsty garbage. Fieldy may very well be one of the worst bassists alive. I'm fairly sure he just slaps strings on his guitar and doesn't even bother to tune them. The guitar work is passable, but it's so effects-ridden that it gets muddy to the point where I can't even be sure they're playing chords.

Drums are damn good, though.

The Korn fans I knew in high school (and beyond) made the ICP fans I knew look like fucking geniuses. Also, lets not forget that they are ENTIRELY responsible for putting Fred Durst and Limp Bizkit in the spotlight. I don't really thing that's forgivable.

</rant>

PS: Sorry if this sounds vicious, it's just a very touchy subject, due to the fact that I can't BELIEVE I ever liked them as much as I did. It's a point of shame, really.

Jason California
03-02-2008, 10:04 PM
I nearly vomit every time I hear anything by them. And I used to fucking LOVE them. Jon Davis' voice makes me want to shove rusty ice picks in my ears and keep them there until I get tuberculosis.

I think I just got sick of the kids who were like "Only JD knows my pain! My daddy looked at me funny once, like he was going to touch me, but really he was looking at my mom, but I was so scared for those 3 seconds! Only Jonathan knows the pain!!!!111!!11" All of his lyrics are the same angsty garbage. Fieldy may very well be one of the worst bassists alive. I'm fairly sure he just slaps strings on his guitar and doesn't even bother to tune them. The guitar work is passable, but it's so effects-ridden that it gets muddy to the point where I can't even be sure they're playing chords.

The Korn fans I knew in high school (and beyond) made the ICP fans I knew look like fucking geniuses. Also, lets not forget that they are ENTIRELY responsible for putting Fred Durst and Limp Bizkit in the spotlight. I don't really thing that's forgivable.

</rant>

PS: Sorry if this sounds vicious, it's just a very touchy subject, due to the fact that I can't BELIEVE I ever liked them as much as I did. It's a point of shame, really.

Yeah, well thats to bad. Sorry you had to click on this link;)

NeverWanderer
03-02-2008, 10:07 PM
No arguments here, sir.

Fuck all the haters.

EDIT: Also, their most recent album, the self-titled one, is pretty damn good. It lacks David's drums, but it makes up for it with a surprising sense of atmosphere and subtlety. Lighter than their other albums, but still pretty damn good!

dasNdanger
03-02-2008, 10:13 PM

</rant>

Rant away.

I rarely listen to lyrics - I like beats, rhythms, that sort of thing. I suppose their music is 'angsty', but for some reason, it actually uplifts me...so, go figger. I only know who Davis is because I recently tracked down the Queen of the Damned soundtrack, and discovered his work on that, and didn't know who he was...lol. "Oh! he's the Korn dude...doh!" :Oops: I never pay attention to band member names. Anyway, Coming Undone is about the only Korn song I know the lyrics to...and it was just a fitting song for a rough summer. It wasn't so much about the lyrics, but about the beat - just loved it.

So - diff strokes, and all that.

das

03-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Wait- they have a 2nd self titled release?

Hate_Prime
03-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Only one of the nu metal type bands I like.

dasNdanger
03-02-2008, 10:18 PM
No arguments here, sir.

Fuck all the haters.

EDIT: Also, their most recent album, the self-titled one, is pretty damn good. It lacks David's drums, but it makes up for it with a surprising sense of atmosphere and subtlety. Lighter than their other albums, but still pretty damn good!

I just picked that up a couple weeks ago -then had to get a new CD player/stereo after being without one for nearly 2 years - just so I could listen to it in my favorite 'studio' - my car. Very please with it. I heard it was supposed to be heavier, but like you say - it's actually a bit lighter, and full of atmosphere. Pretty good, actually.

das

TheHanna
03-02-2008, 10:28 PM

Yea, that's exactly what I was thinking. Then again, they're a completely different band than they were 10 years ago.

Jason California
03-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Rant away.

I rarely listen to lyrics - I like beats, rhythms, that sort of thing. I suppose their music is 'angsty', but for some reason, it actually uplifts me...so, go figger. I only know who Davis is because I recently tracked down the Queen of the Damned soundtrack, and discovered his work on that, and didn't know who he was...lol. "Oh! he's the Korn dude...doh!" :Oops: I never pay attention to band member names. Anyway, Coming Undone is about the only Korn song I know the lyrics to...and it was just a fitting song for a rough summer. It wasn't so much about the lyrics, but about the beat - just loved it.

So - diff strokes, and all that.

das

I get more out of the sound of music than what is being said as well. Kind of just feel it. The sound of the singers voice is important with the instruments, but I am amazed at how often I don't pay attention to what is being said over how it is being said in tone and energy.

I lsiten to all of the lyrics to weezer song though.

NeverWanderer
03-02-2008, 10:39 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61IRrinv9IL._AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Untitled-Korn/dp/B000RPCJYI/ref=pd_sim_m_img_10

03-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Yea, that's exactly what I was thinking. Then again, they're a completely different band than they were 10 years ago.

Hey, being that you're into the Chicago heavy metal scene, have you ever hear of State Of The Union? Or Crash Poet?

TheHanna
03-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Hey, being that you're into the Chicago heavy metal scene, have you ever hear of State Of The Union? Or Crash Poet?

Yea, I've heard a little bit from both of them. Haven't caught them live, though.

03-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Yea, I've heard a little bit from both of them. Haven't caught them live, though.

You had dinner with their drummer.

:D

Hate_Prime
03-02-2008, 10:58 PM
I get more out of the sound of music than what is being said as well. Kind of just feel it. The sound of the singers voice is important with the instruments, but I am amazed at how often I don't pay attention to what is being said over how it is being said in tone and energy.

I feel this is true for metal as a genre and its subgenre's; the lyrics are trite, corny or just plain suck. I love Black Sabbath but I think Ozzy is a really shitty lyricist (or whomever writes the songs).

Hell, some of them don't even bother thinking up lyrics; "vocalists" just try to sound like Darth Vader with throat cancer trying to hock a spit in rhythm to the music.

TheHanna
03-02-2008, 11:02 PM
You had dinner with their drummer.

:D

You drum for which band now? Crash Poets or State of the Union? Also, Big Bowl was the tits. I thought you had left before we got there... but now that I think about it I'm pretty sure that was someone else.

TheHanna
03-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I feel this is true for metal as a genre and its subgenre's; the lyrics are trite, corny or just plain suck. I love Black Sabbath but I think Ozzy is a really shitty lyricist (or whomever writes the songs).

Hell, some of them don't even bother thinking up lyrics; "vocalists" just try to sound like Darth Vader with throat cancer trying to hock a spit in rhythm to the music.

Yea, admittedly, lyrics tend to be an afterthought.

Unless you're a band like Opeth, and can write a whole song about how a smudge of ink in a certain spot on a letter can lead you to emotional insight of the sender...

There aren't enough bands like Opeth in this world.

03-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Nah, not me, Amy's brother (he was sitting 4 people to your left). He's the dummer for both. Crash poet is his old band, although they've reunited recently for a few shows. SOTU is his current band.

http://a670.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_7c0341a049c161d1460e0aba27363785.jpg

03-02-2008, 11:06 PM
And yeah, it was Criden that left before you guys got there.

Michael Blacklist
03-02-2008, 11:07 PM
I grew up and live in the town where Korn originated from. They were such a huge thing locally that it always entertains me when I see how much appeal they had above and beyond just their hometown.

TheHanna
03-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Nah, not me, Amy's brother (he was sitting 4 people to your left). He's the dummer for both. Crash poet is his old band, although they've reunited recently for a few shows. SOTU is his current band.

http://a670.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_7c0341a049c161d1460e0aba27363785.jpg

Oh, ok. I like their sound. I might even be willing to buy tickets to see Soil (and drive to South Bend) to check them out.

TheHanna
03-02-2008, 11:10 PM
I grew up and live in the town where Korn originated from. They were such a huge thing locally that it always entertains me when I see how much appeal they had above and beyond just their hometown.

I heard their early shows were completely insane. Didn't Head take a dump on stage once, or was that just a rumor?

03-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah, Amy and I are trying to figure out a way to go to that show, but we're retty much 6 hours away from South Bend, where their father lives. But I'd hate to go up and back down in the same day, or even back the next day.

Michael Blacklist
03-02-2008, 11:13 PM
I heard their early shows were completely insane. Didn't Head take a dump on stage once, or was that just a rumor?

I have no clue. I'll ask him, though... he's doing another signing for his book at my store soon.

They broke right when I was hitting high school, so I only ever knew them as KORN, not "local boys, Korn".

TheHanna
03-02-2008, 11:17 PM
I have no clue. I'll ask him, though... he's doing another signing for his book at my store soon.

They broke right when I was hitting high school, so I only ever knew them as KORN, not "local boys, Korn".

You didn't miss much, trust me. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byfEFAzl2Cw)

Michael Blacklist
03-02-2008, 11:19 PM
You didn't miss much, trust me. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byfEFAzl2Cw)

It's funny you post that. There were always two huge camps here: the kids that loved them and the kids that hated them because of their earlier stuff.

c. page
03-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Never been a big fan. I like a couple songs here and there but I wouldn't miss them if they fell off the face of the earth.

Ditto for Green Day.

which is too bad, because they had four pretty decent pop-punk albums before americana hit.

korn has some good songs, but i'm not nearly as big a fan as i used to be.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
03-02-2008, 11:29 PM

I think the album is technically actually called "Untitled."

TheHanna
03-02-2008, 11:36 PM
I think the album is technically actually called "Untitled."

Or possibly Korn 2: Angst-Fueled Boogaloo? I think I like mine better.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
03-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Totally, I mean they're like the only band doing angst-fueled music, right?

:cool:

dasNdanger
03-03-2008, 04:31 AM

You and I are very much alike in this regard. I hear the singer as another instrument - his words are not that important - it's the sound of his voice that matters.

A good example of this is when I listen to international music. Love some northern African, Middle-Eastern and gypsy music - all sung in native tongues so I can't understand a lick of what's being said* - but I appreciate it nonetheless because, to me, the voices sound like just another instrument woven through the song.

*the exception is in Arabic music - 'Habibi' ( حَبيبي ) - which basically means beloved - is in nearly every single song. It's quite easy to pick up and sing along to those songs which contain it.

das

Thomas Mauer
03-03-2008, 04:34 AM
I never stopped liking them. Fuck the haters.

Captain Sensation
03-03-2008, 05:48 AM

agreed, i found out about them with follow the leader, but i like the first album better than all the others.

HoldFastNow
03-03-2008, 08:03 AM

For what it's worth, The Offspring do have a new album coming out this year.

Offspring's eight studio album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring%27s_eighth_studio_album)

WillieLee
03-03-2008, 08:04 AM
This thread should be stickied. So your shame will be on display to the public forever.

Thomas Mauer
03-03-2008, 08:15 AM
This thread should be stickied. So your shame will be on display to the public forever.

Too bad your shtick disqualifies you from passing judgment. :)

jess
03-03-2008, 08:17 AM
scotty is a devout korn fan, and they have like one good song per cd past like, 2000. i still love their early stuff, but i hate sitting through their new albums personally, i do it because he listens to tiger army with me and hates every minute :D

WillieLee
03-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Too bad your shtick disqualifies you from passing judgment. :)

Shouldn't you have put some garbled grunting noises in that response? What kind of Korn fan are you?

jess
03-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Shouldn't you have put some garbled grunting noises in that response? What kind of Korn fan are you?

:rofl:

DaGetHighKnight
03-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Twist!

jess
03-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Twist!

*three minutes of grunting*

DaGetHighKnight
03-03-2008, 08:30 AM
*three minutes of grunting*

My favorite! I like grunting.

ClintP
03-03-2008, 08:32 AM
I like the Korn. I think I am two albums behind now, and that is ok with me though since I really don't care to add any cds to my collection. The first five or so albums are high on my rotation list though.

jess
03-03-2008, 08:32 AM
My favorite! I like grunting.

life is peachy is their diamond, yo. i love that cd.

DaGetHighKnight
03-03-2008, 08:35 AM
life is peachy is their diamond, yo. i love that cd.

Its the only CD I like of them. Its a good cocaine CD.

jess
03-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Its the only CD I like of them. Its a good cocaine CD.

esp. when the cover gets that chemical fog on the face from being rubbed with powder too much :D

DaGetHighKnight
03-03-2008, 08:51 AM
esp. when the cover gets that chemical fog on the face from being rubbed with powder too much :D

All of my cd's look like that, thats funny. :)

jess
03-03-2008, 09:00 AM
All of my cd's look like that, thats funny. :)

hahahaha not mine, not anymore, but i had a few that were pretty bad. the first slipknot cd, diabolus in musica, and a few others were pretty thrashed by going through teenagerdom with me.

DaGetHighKnight
03-03-2008, 09:04 AM
hahahaha not mine, not anymore, but i had a few that were pretty bad. the first slipknot cd, diabolus in musica, and a few others were pretty thrashed by going through teenagerdom with me.

Ha, im old...I even have Record covers with the "fog"... KISS Destroyer is a favorite..

jess
03-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Ha, im old...I even have Record covers with the "fog"... KISS Destroyer is a favorite..

old is the new sexy, frank :D

DaGetHighKnight
03-03-2008, 09:18 AM
old is the new sexy, frank :D

*Adjusts Afro*

*Lets get it on*.

dasNdanger
05-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Okie dokie...gonna pull this back to the music...maybe.

I only have two Korn CDs...the last two (I suppose it's the last two - See You On The Other Side, and the most recent untitled).

Well, I bought this last one and didn't immediately listen to it because 1. My car CD player was dead, and 2. after I got a new CD player, I was listening to other stuff.

I had listened to it once or twice at home, liked it well enough but didn't pay close attention to it because I was preoccupied with housework. But last week I started listening to it in the car, where - as a captive audience - I can appreciate the music much more.

I really love this CD. I like See You On The Other Side, but this one is fantastic. I love the complexity of tones and the overall moodiness of the whole thing. Someone here before said it was too 'emo', but I disagree. Sure, there's a ton of emotion in this thing, but music should be like that - it should make you feel something. Most of the stuff I like and listen to just makes me feel like driving REALLY fast. :D But this makes me feel something more than that, and I like it.

Like I said, I have the last two CDs, and I'm familiar with one or two of their previously popular songs, like Freak on a Leash, and love the Queen of the Damned soundtrack, on which Davis wrote several of the songs. So - now that I said all of that and you probably didn't read it...I have a Korn question (for those familiar with both their past works, and this new CD)...

Based on that, what older Korn CDs might I like - or, what other groups with a similar sound/style might I like. (and yes, I live under a rock...)

das

DaveCummings
05-13-2008, 08:06 PM

</rant>

Speaking of Fred Durst, I was kinda shocked to see him on House M.D. this week.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
05-13-2008, 08:28 PM

That's my sentiment, too. I think Issues was my favorite, every album getting better as it led to Issues, but then all the albums after had a few song that stood out but overall they didn't really do it for me.

In terms of their later albums, though, here's a few gems:

Counting on Me
Alive
Throw Me Away
Love Song
Bitch We Got a Problem
Kiss
Do What They See
Killing

Edit: I will commend the last few albums, though, and especially the last for not just being loud bombastic numetal songs like in the earlier days. The dudes have evolved, creating some more sinister tones as well as complex songs with subtle layers upon layers. Good stuff. Deeper stuff.

WillieLee
05-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Do they still suck?

dasNdanger
05-13-2008, 10:10 PM
That's my sentiment, too. I think Issues was my favorite, every album getting better as it led to Issues, but then all the albums after had a few song that stood out but overall they didn't really do it for me.

In terms of their later albums, though, here's a few gems:

Counting on Me
Alive
Throw Me Away
Love Song
Bitch We Got a Problem
Kiss
Do What They See
Killing

Edit: I will commend the last few albums, though, and especially the last for not just being loud bombastic numetal songs like in the earlier days. The dudes have evolved, creating some more sinister tones as well as complex songs with subtle layers upon layers. Good stuff. Deeper stuff.

Okay - that's a really mixed message. You say you liked their earlier stuff, up to Issues, but then say that their newer stuff is more complex, and deeper...which sounds like you like that, too.

I love this last album for it's complexity and layers. Are the earlier ones the same, or are they 'loud bombastic numetal songs' as you say?

*is confused*

das

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
05-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Okay - that's a really mixed message. You say you liked their earlier stuff, up to Issues, but then say that their newer stuff is more complex, and deeper...which sounds like you like that, too.

I love this last album for it's complexity and layers. Are the earlier ones the same, or are they 'loud bombastic numetal songs' as you say?

*is confused*

das

I guess the more I think about it, there are two different Korns. There's old Korn and new Korn. The old stuff was fun and mainstream and the new stuff seems complex and layered.

To be honest, I actually really dig the new stuff, but consider Korn's early stuff as one style that peaked with Issues, and then they've been trying to find a different sound ever since that I also enjoy.

That makes no sense, but whatever. I still dig them is the bottom line.

Albert
05-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Korn has always sucked bad and I'm honestly shocked people have ever liked them.

danlomb
05-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Meh, they broke my heart. They have pumped out some series trite last few years...

Follow The Leader, Issues, etc. were wicked.

dasNdanger
05-14-2008, 04:45 AM
I guess the more I think about it, there are two different Korns. There's old Korn and new Korn. The old stuff was fun and mainstream and the new stuff seems complex and layered.

To be honest, I actually really dig the new stuff, but consider Korn's early stuff as one style that peaked with Issues, and then they've been trying to find a different sound ever since that I also enjoy.

That makes no sense, but whatever. I still dig them is the bottom line.

No, it makes total sense. This happens with many bands - Pearl Jam is a good 'for instance'. Their earlier stuff was raw, angry - and it totally rocked. Their newer stuff is much softer, more experimental and perhaps a bit less exciting, but still good if I'm in the mood for it. A band should evolve, and sometimes people prefer the original sound, others prefer the newer sound, and still others love a band no matter what their sound.

I like the compexity of what I am hearing in this newer stuff. Often I see the voice as just another instrument, so the more a singer experiments with his voice, the more I like the music (Racconteurs are a good example of this, as well as Tarif de Haidouks, a gypsy band I'm particularly found of). But here it's not just the voice, but the layers of sounds...the little intricacies that might go unappreciated by those who like a 'cleaner', more straight-forward sound. Personally, I'm loving this new CD, and hope they continue along these lines with their sound. Like I said in my earlier post, I also like what Davis did with several of the songs on The Queen of the Damned soundtrack. I hear a similar influence in this latest CD, so I'm just assuming it's Korn's signature sound. I will definitely check Issues out, and see how it compares. Thanks so much for the feedback...

das

mike black
05-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Actually I didn't.

I have not heard the whole album so can't make the same kind of comment as I did with the others.

:shock:

mike black
05-14-2008, 05:54 AM
No arguments here, sir.

Fuck all the haters.

The self titled one was their first album...

Masculine Todd
05-14-2008, 05:59 AM
I don't care for this band. Contrived lyrics that predominantly fall into one theme ("I'm fucked up"), a sludgy bassist that drowns out lead and rhythm, trite, interchangeable compositions, a vocalist who's voice is god awful (and not in the "non-conventionally 'bad' vocals to fit the theme of the songs" kind of way). They were huge when I was in elementary and middle school. The fact that they were ubiquitous aided in destroying them in my mind.

However, we all have guilty pleasures. You dig what you dig, man. Nothing wrong with it.

Jerome Gibbons
05-14-2008, 06:02 AM
The self titled one was their first album...

Yeah, I think the latest is supposed to be untitled...oddly...

smm EBob
05-14-2008, 06:04 AM
lol this thread is funny because i just popped in the self titles album yesterday, then i come on the boards today and see this thread. awesome. i agree with the two styles of korn, new and old. both good but in different ways. i really like the new untitled album but nothing beats the self titled.

Jerome Gibbons
05-14-2008, 06:04 AM
And I like Korn too. I mean, you know, Korn-Issues Korn.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
05-14-2008, 06:09 AM
I like albums one, three, four and five. Two's shit, five has some decent singles but is mostly underwhelming, and I haven't heard "Untitled" yet.

Alexander Hamilton
05-14-2008, 06:10 AM
I loved Self-Titled and Life is Peachy (the best album imo). After that, I just kinda got outta that scene...

Hell... I'll even throw in that I still like Thee Dollar Bill, YAll$...

yeah... I said it.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
05-14-2008, 06:11 AM
I loved Self-Titled and Life is Peachy (the best album imo). After that, I just kinda got outta that scene...

Hell... I'll even throw in that I still like Thee Dollar Bill, YAll$...

yeah... I said it.

I still think the first two Limp Bizkit albums are pretty good. The band, especially, can really fucking play.

dasNdanger
05-14-2008, 10:55 AM
lol this thread is funny because i just popped in the self titles album yesterday, then i come on the boards today and see this thread. awesome. i agree with the two styles of korn, new and old. both good but in different ways. i really like the new untitled album but nothing beats the self titled.

What I seem to like about the newer sound is this underlying creepiness to many of the songs...reminds me slightly of that guy who does Tim Burton's soundtracks...ugh...can't think of the name!! Elfman, that's it.

I listened to bits from their earlier stuff on-line today - like Issues better than the self-titled. Issues has some great sounds there, reminds me a bit of this new UNtitled album - little less on the creepy, and more on the anger...but really good. Might grab that one.

Thanks again, guys.

das

Kurt Russell Crowe
05-14-2008, 11:07 AM
I like all the Korn albums. Still want to see them live someday

copypastepuke
05-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Fuck I Found Somethign That I Like Damnit!

DaveCummings
05-14-2008, 12:32 PM
I like all the Korn albums. Still want to see them live someday

I saw them live once, when they did their surprise appearances during the 1999 Family Values tour.

I went there mainly to see Primus and Filter and Korn did the surprise appearance to promote the album, "Issues".

Kurt Russell Crowe
05-14-2008, 12:46 PM
how were they?

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
05-14-2008, 12:52 PM
I still think the first two Limp Bizkit albums are pretty good. The band, especially, can really fucking play.

The Unquestionable Truth is good, too.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
05-14-2008, 12:55 PM
What I seem to like about the newer sound is this underlying creepiness to many of the songs...reminds me slightly of that guy who does Tim Burton's soundtracks...ugh...can't think of the name!! Elfman, that's it.

I listened to bits from their earlier stuff on-line today - like Issues better than the self-titled. Issues has some great sounds there, reminds me a bit of this new UNtitled album - little less on the creepy, and more on the anger...but really good. Might grab that one.

Thanks again, guys.

das

Check out the song, "Let's Get This Party Started." That always stood out to me as one of the more sinister songs on the album.

dasNdanger
05-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Check out the song, "Let's Get This Party Started." That always stood out to me as one of the more sinister songs on the album.

Yeah, that's a pretty good one. Really like this album.

Thanks!

das

glk
05-14-2008, 01:25 PM
There I said it.

I can't judge, I still like Marilyn Manson.

Jason California
05-14-2008, 01:32 PM
I can't judge, I still like Marilyn Manson.

No one is perfect :D

Girlfriend In A Coma
05-14-2008, 07:12 PM
The more I listen to Korn the more I love it. I was on the way home from ATL after Thanksgiving and the radio announced a solo Jonathan Davis show in town that night. I figured it would be so expensive for another hotel night and two tix...I am STILL kicking myself for not turning the fucking car around for that one. Sigh.

Captain Sensation
05-14-2008, 07:27 PM
The more I listen to Korn the more I love it. I was on the way home from ATL after Thanksgiving and the radio announced a solo Jonathan Davis show in town that night. I figured it would be so expensive for another hotel night and two tix...I am STILL kicking myself for not turning the fucking car around for that one. Sigh.

wow, you got me trying to picture him doing a solo show. Never thought of that ever happening.

I think what happened with Korn was, they were huge and you had other guys tapping into the nu metal genre and it imploded. The album after follow the leader wasnt as good as their previous work and didnt help either.

Girlfriend In A Coma
05-14-2008, 07:37 PM
wow, you got me trying to picture him doing a solo show. Never thought of that ever happening.

I think what happened with Korn was, they were huge and you had other guys tapping into the nu metal genre and it imploded. The album after follow the leader wasnt as good as their previous work and didnt help either.

I heard the solo stuff he did (very limited, like a dozen shows) was AMAZING.

If you like Korn, you should check out Mindless Self Indulgence. Saw 'em Saturday and I'm still buzzed from it. Good stuff.

Captain Sensation
05-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I heard the solo stuff he did (very limited, like a dozen shows) was AMAZING.

If you like Korn, you should check out Mindless Self Indulgence. Saw 'em Saturday and I'm still buzzed from it. Good stuff.

im listening to them off your myspace page, very korn influenced sound. Reminds me of the Cameo - word up cover that korn did a while back.

dasNdanger
05-21-2008, 11:16 AM

First, thanks again for the recommendation. I picked Issues up today, and listened to it on the way home. It's great! Heh...I knew two of the songs, and didn't know I knew them...lol. For years I listened to an alternative station that never told performer/title, so I know lots of songs, just not the names of them or who performed them.

Comparing Issues (on only one listening) to the new Untitled - Issues is heavier, angrier, more self-wallowing. The new Untitled is lighter (in sound, no necessarily in word), more energized...with a couple songs building up to stimulating peaks towards the end (like Starting Over). It also has that creepier sound that I like...I hear a lot of the same influence in this new one that I heard on Davis' work on the Queen of the Damned soundtrack...this underlying creepiness doesn't depress me, or make me angry...it kinda gives me chills, with goes back to my feeling that this new music is more energized, and not so heavy as their older stuff, though it's not exactly happy-happy joy-joy music, either.

Like you said - both are good, yet very different.

das

dasNdanger
01-22-2009, 03:06 PM

So...it took me 7 months...but now I'm thinking that I love Issues as much, if not more than, Korn's newer stuff. Not that I actually listened to it this for the entire 7 months, but after the initial listen-to, I dusted it off in December to give it another go. Well, just fell in love with it - and Hey Daddy is (at the moment) my favorite. Thanks to Mark M and all who recommended it!

das

Jason California
01-22-2009, 03:08 PM
I think they went downhill after Issues.

NeverWanderer
01-22-2009, 03:10 PM
So...it took me 7 months...but now I'm thinking that I love Issues as much, if not more than, Korn's newer stuff. Not that I actually listened to it this for the entire 7 months, but after the initial listen-to, I dusted it off in December to give it another go. Well, just fell in love with it - and Hey Daddy is (at the moment) my favorite. Thanks to Mark M and all who recommended it!

das

Great album. :thumb:

Kurt Russell Crowe
01-22-2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW3sSWaoXTA

^ Jon Davis of Korn covering Lil Wayne's Got Money. :)

dasNdanger
01-22-2009, 03:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW3sSWaoXTA

^ Jon Davis of Korn covering Lil Wayne's Got Money. :)

Whoa, that's great! I'm not familiar with the original - I'm guessing it's a rap song, and I don't do rap/hip hop. But this I would certainly listen to!

Thanks!

das

Darthdaw37
01-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah I like them to.

Albert
01-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Korn has always sucked bad and I'm honestly shocked people have ever liked them.

Good work, Past Albert!

Jason California
01-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Good work, Past Albert!

Consistency is good.

DaveCummings
01-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Have you seen the video to the song, Hold On? It's fucking funny as hell.

Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KoPDC3kEUk

That said, though I'm not too much into the "Nu Metal" scene anymore, I think I like Mudvayne and Slipknot more now than I did back then.

Masculine Todd
01-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Nearly a year later and they're still incredibly bad.

DaveCummings
01-22-2009, 04:22 PM

I....I could say something. But, I'll let someone else have some fun :D

dasNdanger
01-22-2009, 04:29 PM

That said, though I'm not too much into the "Nu Metal" scene anymore, I think I like Mudvayne and Slipknot more now than I did back then.

:lol: That's a riot!! Thanks! You guys are making me feel so much better tonight (had a fever all week - and this is my therapy).

das

Albert
01-22-2009, 04:52 PM

::hugs you::

Kurt Russell Crowe
01-22-2009, 04:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rve7Po5aKFw

Korn doing sandy claws from nightmare before christmas

lonesomefool
01-22-2009, 04:58 PM

I dislike Korn, but I do like the occasional Slipknot song. Their earlier, harder stuff that had more screaming than actual singing I didnt care for, but their latest song "Dead Memories" might be one of the best songs on radio right now, which granted is saying much, but I digress.

Corey Taylor has a really good voice when he isnt in scream-o mode.

Masculine Todd
01-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I....I could say something. But, I'll let someone else have some fun :D

"Emo."

Bam! Done for you, sir. Now, we can make out.

::hugs you::

Hot.

DaveCummings
01-22-2009, 06:13 PM
I dislike Korn, but I do like the occasional Slipknot song. Their earlier, harder stuff that had more screaming than actual singing I didnt care for, but their latest song "Dead Memories" might be one of the best songs on radio right now, which granted is saying much, but I digress.

Corey Taylor has a really good voice when he isnt in scream-o mode.

Oh I agree. Have you heard the Apocalyptica song "I'm not Jesus"? Corey Taylor did the vocals for that song. I've always dug that band. You gotta love a group of Cellists (is that the right word) doing classical (if it could be called that) versions of Slayer and Pantera songs.

But, yeah, I agree. I like Corey Taylor's vocals more when he sings than when he screams. It's why I kinda prefer his Stone Sour stuff over Slipknot. Though I love the energy of a live Slipknot show. I remember back in '99 seeing them a few months before their first album came out and that was fucking crazy.

lonesomefool
01-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Oh I agree. Have you heard the Apocalyptica song "I'm not Jesus"? Corey Taylor did the vocals for that song. I've always dug that band. You gotta love a group of Cellists (is that the right word) doing classical (if it could be called that) versions of Slayer and Pantera songs.

But, yeah, I agree. I like Corey Taylor's vocals more when he sings than when he screams. It's why I kinda prefer his Stone Sour stuff over Slipknot. Though I love the energy of a live Slipknot show. I remember back in '99 seeing them a few months before their first album came out and that was fucking crazy.

Yep, I'm Not Jesus was quite good and I agree that Stone Sour is a much better band than Slipknot to me.

Also on the Nu-Metal scene, I have to admit to liking 10 Years. They tend to do a good job of avoiding the "I hate my fucking life" tone that a lot of bands fall into in that genre.

dasNdanger
07-31-2010, 06:00 AM
Just picked up Korn's latest, and it's pretty damn good. Sounds like their earlier stuff - really basic without all the bells and whistles. Now...I like those bells and whistles and added layers in their newer stuff, but I don't seem to miss not hearing it on this new CD.

das

ThisSpaceForRent
07-31-2010, 06:31 AM
Just picked up Korn's latest, and it's pretty damn good. Sounds like their earlier stuff - really basic without all the bells and whistles. Now...I like those bells and whistles and added layers in their newer stuff, but I don't seem to miss not hearing it on this new CD.

das

It was hyped as sounding like their early stuff (same producer I think), but it really doesn't. I fully admit I've cooled off on Korn since their second album, but I peek in once in a while. New album didn't do anything for me.

BGPu
07-31-2010, 06:48 AM

das

It sounds OK, although they really miss Head as a songwriter. Lyrically, Jonathan Davis just has to move on already.

dasNdanger
07-31-2010, 06:53 AM
It sounds OK, although they really miss Head as a songwriter. Lyrically, Jonathan Davis just has to move on already.

Even in my old age, I've never fully outgrown my 'issues' and still struggle with guilt and frustration and anger and crap, so I can relate to a lot of his lyrics.

That said, he is working on a solo project, and it sounds right up my alley - a blend of world music styles and such. It sounds interesting - and when he was talking about it, it also sounded like he was getting tired of Korn. So, perhaps, he sticks to a certain style with Korn because it's expected, but wants to move on in his solo project.

das