PDA

View Full Version : Loom

S. Earl
03-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Has anyone ever been able to get the voice patch to work?

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 08:04 AM
There was a voice patch?

S. Earl
03-01-2008, 08:08 AM
yes there was

actually, more specifically it is an enhanced cdrom version with voice acting. Either way, I can never get the damn thing to run in SCUMM.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 08:09 AM
SCUMMVM is a bit buggy when it comes to certain things, I've found.

But I never knew there was a voice version of Loom. Now you've piqued my interest!

S. Earl
03-01-2008, 08:13 AM
SCUMMVM is a bit buggy when it comes to certain things, I've found.

But I never knew there was a voice version of Loom. Now you've piqued my interest!

This always happens to me. I try to get some old game to work and it crashes on me over and over, so I just start playing the Monkey Island saga again and next thing you now my entire weekend is gone.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 08:15 AM
This always happens to me. I try to get some old game to work and it crashes on me over and over, so I just start playing the Monkey Island saga again and next thing you now my entire weekend is gone.

What really killed me was when they recently added support for old-school Sierra games. I lost a week playing King's Quest, Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry!

S. Earl
03-01-2008, 08:19 AM
What really killed me was when they recently added support for old-school Sierra games. I lost a week playing King's Quest, Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry!

No shit? I wasn't aware of that. AWESOME. No more fucking DOSBOX then.

I found a really good version of Black Cauldron last night, someone hacked it so it uses mouse icons instead of the F6,4,an 8 keys. It runs in windows without any trouble either.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 08:22 AM
No shit? I wasn't aware of that. AWESOME. No more fucking DOSBOX then.

I found a really good version of Black Cauldron last night, someone hacked it so it uses mouse icons instead of the F6,4,an 8 keys. It runs in windows without any trouble either.

Just to clarify: it only runs the earliest Sierra games (the ones written in their AGI interpeter). This means KQ1-3 (and some copies of 4, but fuck if those aren't hard to find), SQ1-2, LSL1, Black Cauldron and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting. Oh yeah, Gold Rush.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Does the voice patch make Loom not suck?

I know it may have a cult following, but by God was that a huge misstep for Lucasfilm Games/Lucasarts.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Does the voice patch make Loom not suck?

I know it may have a cult following, but by God was that a huge misstep for Lucasfilm Games/Lucasarts.

It wasn't my favorite, but I like that they tried something a bit unconventional for the gameplay.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-01-2008, 08:28 AM
It wasn't my favorite, but I like that they tried something a bit unconventional for the gameplay.

Yeah, but it's kinda...no, it's flat out bad.

I mean, yes, basically Loom brought about the updated gameplay of things like Monkey Island and such, but it's just so...boring...

Oh, and from wiki:

LOOM was also re-released on CD, once with a full digital score and a second time with voice-overs (but very little music).

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah, but it's kinda...no, it's flat out bad.

I mean, yes, basically Loom brought about the updated gameplay of things like Monkey Island and such, but it's just so...boring...

Oh, and from wiki:

LOOM was also re-released on CD, once with a full digital score and a second time with voice-overs (but very little music).

Better controls than Grim Fandango though. There's no "walking between two objects inadvertently and getting stuck" in Loom.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-01-2008, 08:30 AM
And looking at the list, the only SCUMM game I never played was the first: Labyrinth.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 08:31 AM
And looking at the list, the only SCUMM game I never played was the first: Labyrinth.

That one's really odd. I won't say it's GOOD, but it's odd. Douglas Adams contributed to it.

It's not actually a SCUMM game though, in that it won't play under SCUMMVM. I had to get a C64 emulator to play it, and I still can't find a working copy. :?

Adrian B AWESOME
03-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Better controls than Grim Fandango though. There's no "walking between two objects inadvertently and getting stuck" in Loom.

I disagree. I thought Grim Fandango's controls were great and I NEVER had the problem you describe.

And frankly, controls? Grim Fandango's score, characters, story, gameplay, graphics and everything else are superior to Loom, so looser controls being a detriment is a stretch for me.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 08:32 AM
I disagree. I thought Grim Fandango's controls were great and I NEVER had the problem you describe.

And frankly, controls? Grim Fandango's score, characters, story, gameplay, graphics and everything else are superior to Loom, so looser controls being a detriment is a stretch for me.

Well, honestly I'm grasping at straws. Grim was superior in all the ways you say. But the controls suck. And I was not the only one to have that problem. (Just recently somebody mentioned inadvertently walking into the elevator over and over.)

S. Earl
03-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Just to clarify: it only runs the earliest Sierra games (the ones written in their AGI interpeter). This means KQ1-3 (and some copies of 4, but fuck if those aren't hard to find), SQ1-2, LSL1, Black Cauldron and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting. Oh yeah, Gold Rush.

They need to get cracking on the SCI games

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 08:33 AM
They need to get cracking on the SCI games

I agree.

Thankfully, DOSBOX works on the Mac as well. :cool:

S. Earl
03-01-2008, 08:33 AM
They only SCUMM game I couldnt get into was Zak Mckrackin.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 08:35 AM

Really? I LOVE that one! Great story, really odd stuff going on. If you ever do try to get into it, see if you can locate the FM Towns version. (From what I understand, this is a slightly superior computer system they were using in Japan at the time. The upshot is, better graphics and sound. Not quite Monkey Island level, but far above Maniac Mansion.)

Kefky
03-01-2008, 08:37 AM

Why's that? It was a pretty big improvement over Maniac Mansion, IMO. If you can play that, don't see why you wouldn't be able to play the other.

Oh, and my Loom CD plays fine. Maybe you need to reinstall SCUMMVM?

S. Earl
03-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Why's that? It was a pretty big improvement over Maniac Mansion, IMO. If you can play that, don't see why you wouldn't be able to play the other.

Oh, and my Loom CD plays fine. Maybe you need to reinstall SCUMMVM?

I can't say why I never stuck with that game, I should give it another shot.

So how does the voice version pan out?

Adrian B AWESOME
03-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Really? I LOVE that one! Great story, really odd stuff going on. If you ever do try to get into it, see if you can locate the FM Towns version. (From what I understand, this is a slightly superior computer system they were using in Japan at the time. The upshot is, better graphics and sound. Not quite Monkey Island level, but far above Maniac Mansion.)

I love Zak. It's like all the great parts of Maniac Mansion times 10. And it's a fucking HUGE game.

The only game I can say I honestly didn't like, other than Loom, was the Last Crusade. It was sort of like "I already know what's going to happen."

Fate of Atlantis, however, is an underrated gem.

And to the agreement of a few, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge is the best Monkey Island.

Kefky
03-01-2008, 08:51 AM
So how does the voice version pan out?

Like all of their games with voice action, it's solid and professional stuff that adds a lot of atmosphere to the game. It's not as amazing as the voice versions of DOTT and S&M, but that's because it's one of their early jobs. Basically, it sounds as good as Indy and the fate of atlantis.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 08:52 AM
I love Zak. It's like all the great parts of Maniac Mansion times 10. And it's a fucking HUGE game.

The only game I can say I honestly didn't like, other than Loom, was the Last Crusade. It was sort of like "I already know what's going to happen."

Fate of Atlantis, however, is an underrated gem.

And to the agreement of a few, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge is the best Monkey Island.

Last Crusade was fun at the time. Here's where I date myself a bit, but back before you could get a movie instantly on your computer, you had to rely on remembering what you saw in the theater till one day the VHS got released (usually in its own sweet-ass time). So yeah, it's really close to the movie, but the movie was becoming a distant memory at that point, so it was fun.

Agree on Fate of Atlantis. LOVE the guy they got to voice Indy somehow he sounds nothing like Harrison Ford but exactly like Indy. I have no idea how that works.

And I 100% agree on Monkey Island 2. It was so goddamn surreal.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Is it bad that I always purposely killed Dave? God he sucked.

Kefky
03-01-2008, 08:54 AM

I don't know, I'd say most of the fanbase agrees with you on that one. CMI's my favorite, but I'm guy who thinks EMI was a solid game. :)

Adrian B AWESOME
03-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Last Crusade was fun at the time. Here's where I date myself a bit, but back before you could get a movie instantly on your computer, you had to rely on remembering what you saw in the theater till one day the VHS got released (usually in its own sweet-ass time). So yeah, it's really close to the movie, but the movie was becoming a distant memory at that point, so it was fun.

Agree on Fate of Atlantis. LOVE the guy they got to voice Indy somehow he sounds nothing like Harrison Ford but exactly like Indy. I have no idea how that works.

And I 100% agree on Monkey Island 2. It was so goddamn surreal.

Oh yeah. I really wouldn't mind if they were to do like an animated Indy adventure if they found him...though his voice may have changed 15 years later. :lol:

But yeah, for the most part, Lucasarts had PERFECT voice casting.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't know, I'd say most of the fanbase agrees with you on that one. CMI's my favorite, but I'm guy who thinks EMI was a solid game. :)

The problem I had with MI3 and 4 was that Ron Gilbert had departed, and with him, the really strange sense of "what the fuck is going on here?!" All the weird stuff they put in those last two games just felt like they were mimicking his style, whereas his material always felt fresh and inspired.

Kefky
03-01-2008, 09:00 AM
The problem I had with MI3 and 4 was that Ron Gilbert had departed, and with him, the really strange sense of "what the fuck is going on here?!" All the weird stuff they put in those last two games just felt like they were mimicking his style, whereas his material always felt fresh and inspired.

You're definitely right about that. Something was missing when Gilbert left. But I'm pretty open-minded to these things, and CMI's the one that makes me laugh the most. Every single bit in that game is gold.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-01-2008, 09:02 AM

I thought Curse of MI was pretty spectacular, especially the animated look which was absolutly gorgeous. Plus MURRY THE SKULL!

Escape...has some really hilarious moments but the graphics are sub Grim Fandango, and the plot leaves a lot to be desired. Monkey Combat, of course, didn't help a bit.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 09:03 AM
You're definitely right about that. Something was missing when Gilbert left. But I'm pretty open-minded to these things, and CMI's the one that makes me laugh the most. Every single bit in that game is gold.

I never finished CMI. I really should. It looks quite good, but I was so knee-jerk resentful of it at the time (plus, they never did a Mac version) that I just ignored it.

Hmm.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 09:03 AM
I thought Curse of MI was pretty spectacular, especially the animated look which was absolutly gorgeous. Plus MURRY THE SKULL!

Escape...has some really hilarious moments but the graphics are sub Grim Fandango, and the plot leaves a lot to be desired. Monkey Combat, of course, didn't help a bit.

I watched someone else play a little of that game and it didn't do much for me. Plus you can DIE in that game. What the fuck?!

Adrian B AWESOME
03-01-2008, 09:05 AM
I watched someone else play a little of that game and it didn't do much for me. Plus you can DIE in that game. What the fuck?!

Well, you can die in Secret...it just takes a while. :lol:

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Well, you can die in Secret...it just takes a while. :lol:

Oh, right! :lol:

I love that puzzle.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Oh, right! :lol:

I love that puzzle.

And I hope one day Full Throttle 2 becomes a reality.

Even though it wasn't the longest game in the world, it was fun, had a great soundtrack, and created a memorible world filled with great characters.

Modok Gas
03-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Anyone ever finish Monkey Island on the PS2? This is the 3D one. I gave up on it.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 09:19 AM
And I hope one day Full Throttle 2 becomes a reality.

Even though it wasn't the longest game in the world, it was fun, had a great soundtrack, and created a memorible world filled with great characters.

Agreed.

Who's supposed to be working on that? LucasArts won't give up the rights to any of their exclusive properties (like Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island).

Adrian B AWESOME
03-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Agreed.

Who's supposed to be working on that? LucasArts won't give up the rights to any of their exclusive properties (like Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island).

Well, no one technically, but there's hope that after Brutal Legend, Schafer will attempt something, but I'm doubtful.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Well, no one technically, but there's hope that after Brutal Legend, Schafer will attempt something, but I'm doubtful.

We were talking about this on the board the other night... it's kind of a catch-22 because LucasArts doesn't want to make adventure games anymore, but they also don't want to get off the licenses for those games to allow other companies to pick 'em up. I know at least Telltale has tried, and I suspect others have as well.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-01-2008, 09:41 AM
We were talking about this on the board the other night... it's kind of a catch-22 because LucasArts doesn't want to make adventure games anymore, but they also don't want to get off the licenses for those games to allow other companies to pick 'em up. I know at least Telltale has tried, and I suspect others have as well.

And I'm assuming the only way they got Sam & Max is because it's Purcell's and not LA...

Well, I don't know. I really wish Tim Schafer would just do one last adventure game, whether it's a franchise or not. There's so much he can still do for a genre that's on the edge of making a complete comeback.

AAlgar
03-01-2008, 09:43 AM
And I'm assuming the only way they got Sam & Max is because it's Purcell's and not LA...

Well, I don't know. I really wish Tim Schafer would just do one last adventure game, whether it's a franchise or not. There's so much he can still do for a genre that's on the edge of making a complete comeback.

Yes, on the Purcell thing. He only licensed that to Lucas to begin with. They never owned it.

I think (hope) that the Wii may lead to a resurgence in point and click games. It's so completely perfect for it.

Adrian B AWESOME
03-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Yes, on the Purcell thing. He only licensed that to Lucas to begin with. They never owned it.

I think (hope) that the Wii may lead to a resurgence in point and click games. It's so completely perfect for it.

Yeah. I played Harvey Birdman, and while it's light on the game aspect (much like Phoenix Wright) it's absolutly hysterical and a step into the right direction for adventure games.