PDA

View Full Version : Who remembers Gargoyles?

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
02-29-2008, 03:12 AM
What an awesome ahead of its time show, especially considering the dark material it was slinging for being a kid's show.

I just caught an episode on TV for the first time since I was a kid and I remembered one of the reason I was so impressed with it: its ability to take friends and turn them into enemies, and likewise take enemies and turn them into friends (Xanatos, anyone?).

Forget the Goliath Chronicles. I'm talking Gargoyles here. As far as I'm concerned, the show ended there.

Bryan H
02-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Slave Labor Graphics puts out a Gargoyle comic, written by the creators if I remember right. I even think it ignores the Goliath Chronicles (though I haven't read, so I can't say for sure).

From what I've heard, Gargoyle fans seem to enjoy it a lot. You might want to check it out.

Patrick J
02-29-2008, 04:19 AM
Whenever someone brings up Gargoyles I always have to say the same thing;

What was so great about shows like Gargoyles and even Duck Tales, Tale Spin and the early episodes of the Ghostbusters cartoon, and many other classic 80's 'toons was that they were actually very educational without being so overtly educational that it'd turn off most children.

They seamlessly incorporated elements of Shakespeare and both ancient and modern world histories into the story in a way that I've not seen in any children's programming since.

Nowadays all children's programming is designed such that they MUST be educational, but they beat the kids over the head with the educational end of it all that I imagine it fosters a strong level of cognitive dissonance among young people today.

Where once they were being educated while being entertained, today they are view themselves as being entertained while educated and that translates to poor performance in school where they believe that all education has to have some "entertainment/edutainment" twist to everything, and sometimes that is simply not the case.

When I was maybe 12 years old, I went and rented Citizen Kane and even though I didn't completely understand the film, I watched it several times and got a lot out of it. When I went onto High School History and learned about William Randolph Hearst and Yellow Journalism, I was able to make connections and was that much more prepared for the lessons learned. And why did I seek out Citizen Kane at the tender age of 12? Because it had been referenced in an episode of Ghostbusters and later again in an episode of Tiny Toon Adventures.

MacBeth, by Shakespeare too, was something I sought out and read at an early age, again because it'd been referenced once in an episode of Duck Tales and later to a much grander extent in Gargoyles. And again, when I read MacBeth in High School, I was much more prepared and able to understand, decipher and analyze the meaning(s) behind an otherwise complex work.

So in short; Fuck Dora the Explorer. Long Live Gargoyles!

Ashwin Pande
02-29-2008, 04:33 AM
Who DOESN'T remember Gargoyles?

costello
02-29-2008, 04:40 AM
Who DOESN'T remember Gargoyles?

That was a Silverhawks spinoff, right?

Ashwin Pande
02-29-2008, 04:44 AM
That was a Silverhawks spinoff, right?

que?

costello
02-29-2008, 04:49 AM
que?

Silverhawks was actually a crap TV show from the 80s.

I remember Gargoyles, but I never actually watched it. A friend of mine was a big fan, but at that time I was growing out of watching cartoons when I came home from school. When I got back into it I think I watched reruns of "Pirates of Dark Water," which wasn't actually good, but I was impressed because I had never seen a cartoon's story progress with each episode.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
02-29-2008, 04:53 AM

What was so great about shows like Gargoyles and even Duck Tales, Tale Spin and the early episodes of the Ghostbusters cartoon, and many other classic 80's 'toons was that they were actually very educational without being so overtly educational that it'd turn off most children.

They seamlessly incorporated elements of Shakespeare and both ancient and modern world histories into the story in a way that I've not seen in any children's programming since.

Nowadays all children's programming is designed such that they MUST be educational, but they beat the kids over the head with the educational end of it all that I imagine it fosters a strong level of cognitive dissonance among young people today.

Where once they were being educated while being entertained, today they are view themselves as being entertained while educated and that translates to poor performance in school where they believe that all education has to have some "entertainment/edutainment" twist to everything, and sometimes that is simply not the case.

When I was maybe 12 years old, I went and rented Citizen Kane and even though I didn't completely understand the film, I watched it several times and got a lot out of it. When I went onto High School History and learned about William Randolph Hearst and Yellow Journalism, I was able to make connections and was that much more prepared for the lessons learned. And why did I seek out Citizen Kane at the tender age of 12? Because it had been referenced in an episode of Ghostbusters and later again in an episode of Tiny Toon Adventures.

MacBeth, by Shakespeare too, was something I sought out and read at an early age, again because it'd been referenced once in an episode of Duck Tales and later to a much grander extent in Gargoyles. And again, when I read MacBeth in High School, I was much more prepared and able to understand, decipher and analyze the meaning(s) behind an otherwise complex work.

I completely agree. The episode I saw earlier tonight was all about tampering with artificial intelligence, but it had a dual plot having to with Aborigine's and finding yourself in the dreamrealm. I don't know how they fuck they did it, but somehow they made those two plots intertwine (in a slightly cheesey manner, but so what, I'm 22-years-old now and the times change).

I also remember the whole Avalon arc and how they got to travel to King Arthur's final resting place. Amazing.

lost in the flood
02-29-2008, 05:02 AM
oh hell, it's times like these i miss good cartoons. i almost completely forgot about tiny toons, i LOVED that show. and gargoyles, damn. i know there's a huge following for them. people seek out those back issues like crazy too. :sigh: here's to great cartoons of the past. :cry:

Ashwin Pande
02-29-2008, 05:03 AM
Silverhawks was actually a crap TV show from the 80s.

I remember Gargoyles, but I never actually watched it. A friend of mine was a big fan, but at that time I was growing out of watching cartoons when I came home from school. When I got back into it I think I watched reruns of "Pirates of Dark Water," which wasn't actually good, but I was impressed because I had never seen a cartoon's story progress with each episode.

Pirates of Dark Water reminds me of the story about how I first saw it.

One day I was watching tv at around age 9 or so and we'd just gotten cable tv in India... I was watching reruns of "The Barkleys" (anyone remember that cartoon?) When suddenly the channel tuned out and got replaced by something else. A Josie and the Pussycats cartoon (I knew it was Josie and the Pussycats because I was a huge Archie fan at the time) but... they were speaking in Chinese... The logo on the channel said Cartoon Network and I knew immediately that something great was happening.

I couldn't understand wtf was going on but I didn't change the channel. I watched chinese Josie and the Pussycats followed by Chinese Centurions followed by Chinese Flintstones everyday for about 3 months. Then one day in the middle of an episode of the Centurions everyone just suddenly started talking in English. I knew I was never going to watch another channel again. At night after 9pm Cartoon Network would change into TNT, which at the time used to show old Black and White movies. This is where my love for old movies comes from.

Anyway... 3 years later... Cartoon Network has officially launched in India and is showing everything in English. And for a special event called Water Conservation Day... or something.. they showed a marathon of cartoons dealing with Water. There was some Flintstones special where they all go to the beach and save a hotel from going under... a couple of episodes of Scooby Doo that dealt with some form of Sea Monsters... Some episode of the Centurions where they have to stop Doc Terror from frying the Earth and Pirates of Dark Water... apparently because it had the word Water in the title. Oh yeah.. and between each episode or special... they'd show an episode of Captain Planet.

I watched that shit all day long. They had only one episode of Pirates of the Dark Water which they showed around 8 times all day and I watched it every fucking goddamn time. I actually liked the first episode. I was hoping they'd air the show after that. I wrote letters to their office here asking for them to show it and told them they were cruel for showing one episode and not showing the rest. They never did show it.

A few years later I got to watch another episode of the show. Man what a crapass cartoon it was. Gah.

costello
02-29-2008, 05:10 AM
Awesome story.

I don't want to derail the thread further, but that reminds me of my grandfather's satellite dish. He bought the thing when I was 6 or 7, it was absolutely huge, and it was funny because he never liked to change the channels. We watched the Disney channel back when it was good, and I remember first seeing Nickelodeon (Danger Mouse was the first thing I ever saw on that, followed by You Can't Do That on Television), Sci-Fi, Comedy Central.

I was first introduced to anime on some station that showed anime for two hours straight. That was a bitch to get him to change to that channel though, because every commercial was for a 1-900 sex call.

costello
02-29-2008, 05:11 AM
Is Gargoyles still repeated, or are you people watching it on DVD?

Ashwin Pande
02-29-2008, 05:19 AM
Awesome story.

I don't want to derail the thread further, but that reminds me of my grandfather's satellite dish. He bought the thing when I was 6 or 7, it was absolutely huge, and it was funny because he never liked to change the channels. We watched the Disney channel back when it was good, and I remember first seeing Nickelodeon (Danger Mouse was the first thing I ever saw on that, followed by You Can't Do That on Television), Sci-Fi, Comedy Central.

I was first introduced to anime on some station that showed anime for two hours straight. That was a bitch to get him to change to that channel though, because every commercial was for a 1-900 sex call.

Aw man.. I discovered Nickelodeon when I was 17 and I STILL watched the crap out of it. I was amazed at how something as surreal and insane as Rocko's Modern Life got made. And you may think it's lame but Rugrats was actually a pretty well written cartoon. I think it was pretty critical of Parents today and some of the choices made today for raising children, I always felt it was more about the parents than the kids and Angelica is one of the best cartoon villains ever. All the stuff that Klasky-Csupo did imo was treating kids smarter than other cartoons I've seen where they hammer the lecture into you. Sometimes their characters get too annoying (the girl on the Wild Thornberry's) but they always counterbalance it with some other character who's somewhat more interesting.

Danger Mouse to date is probably the only cartoon that's made me feel what a person experiencing an aneurysm must feel. I had no idea wtf was going on in the cartoon but man was it awesome!! I preferred Duckula though.

I found out about Anime because of this local station we had here which used to show stuff like Robotech, Battleship Yamato and other stuff I can't recall the names of in their after school slot. I used to rush home every day to catch the beginning of Robotech. Robotech is probably the best cartoon soap opera ever written. Fuck Cardcaptor Sakura or whatever crap kids watch today. And man oh man does Cardcaptor Sakura have massive lesbian vibes.

costello
02-29-2008, 05:30 AM
Aw man.. I discovered Nickelodeon when I was 17 and I STILL watched the crap out of it. I was amazed at how something as surreal and insane as Rocko's Modern Life got made. And you may think it's lame but Rugrats was actually a pretty well written cartoon. I think it was pretty critical of Parents today and some of the choices made today for raising children, I always felt it was more about the parents than the kids and Angelica is one of the best cartoon villains ever. All the stuff that Klasky-Csupo did imo was treating kids smarter than other cartoons I've seen where they hammer the lecture into you. Sometimes their characters get too annoying (the girl on the Wild Thornberry's) but they always counterbalance it with some other character who's somewhat more interesting.

Danger Mouse to date is probably the only cartoon that's made me feel what a person experiencing an aneurysm must feel. I had no idea wtf was going on in the cartoon but man was it awesome!! I preferred Duckula though.

I found out about Anime because of this local station we had here which used to show stuff like Robotech, Battleship Yamato and other stuff I can't recall the names of in their after school slot. I used to rush home every day to catch the beginning of Robotech. Robotech is probably the best cartoon soap opera ever written. Fuck Cardcaptor Sakura or whatever crap kids watch today. And man oh man does Cardcaptor Sakura have massive lesbian vibes.

I remember seeing the episode of Danger Mouse when he fought Duckula. WTF? It was great.

And Nickelodeon... do you remember picture pages? Damn I wanted that pen Bill Cosby had. I swore it made those beeping noises when he wrote with it.

Rugrats was an acquired taste. I remember watching Ren and Stimpy on MTV and either it was taken off the air or also shown on Nickelodeon. I knew there was some show called Are You Afraid of the Dark that was on before it, but I hated that show. My parents raised me on horror so I thought the terror that show tried to make you feel was insulting to my already tainted mind. Rugrats was shown sometime in that mix. I was a fan of Chucky. I'd hoot and holler whenever he showed up in an episode because I thought he only made cameos. It took just a few before I realized he ALWAYS comes over.

I think around the same time, if memory serves me correctly, Duckman was on USA. That was a strange trip I did not get.

costello
02-29-2008, 05:32 AM
I don't think I understood what was going on when Cartoon Network came on in my area. It was a bunch of Hanna Barbara cartoons. I remember watching the 60s Fantastic Four and wasn't impressed. It took a while to appreciate it.

I do remember the first time I watched Space Ghost.

adam_warlock_2099
02-29-2008, 05:47 AM
Marvel also did a comic series that lasted 11 issues. It was great from what I remember. It's been a while since I have read it again, so I don't remember if it went along with the cartoon, or took place after it, but it was just as good as the cartoon.

It also featured Amanda Conner pencils.

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/34464508296.1.gif

Jumbopimp
02-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Slave Labor Graphics puts out a Gargoyle comic, written by the creators if I remember right. I even think it ignores the Goliath Chronicles (though I haven't read, so I can't say for sure).

From what I've heard, Gargoyle fans seem to enjoy it a lot. You might want to check it out.

What was the Goliath Chronicles? I've never heard of this.

Patrick J
02-29-2008, 06:47 AM
What was the Goliath Chronicles? I've never heard of this.

One of the later seasons of teh Gargoyles television series that involved Goliath being trapped on a boat or something that'd randomly come ashore at various locations and he'd encounter other Gargoyles or Gargoyle-type mystical figures, I think there also was an overarching story involving Oberon and Avalon. I don't think any of the other Gargoyles was featured in these episodes.

Some people really loathe those episodes. I happen to have enjoyed them quite a bit.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
02-29-2008, 03:08 PM
One of the later seasons of teh Gargoyles television series that involved Goliath being trapped on a boat or something that'd randomly come ashore at various locations and he'd encounter other Gargoyles or Gargoyle-type mystical figures, I think there also was an overarching story involving Oberon and Avalon. I don't think any of the other Gargoyles was featured in these episodes.

Some people really loathe those episodes. I happen to have enjoyed them quite a bit.

That's not the Goliath Chronicles, and those Avalon/trapped on a boat episodes were golden. They ended with an alliance between the Gargoyles and Xanatos which was a great way to end the show.

Goliath Chronicles came after those episodes.

Ryan Elliott
02-29-2008, 03:20 PM
I love Gargoyles. Even Goliath Chronicals.

DC Camel
02-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Didn't the creators finish the series off in comic form?

RegularJoe
02-29-2008, 04:01 PM

animaniacs, too.

NeverWanderer
02-29-2008, 05:01 PM
FUCK yeah! Gargoyles was fantastic! I have the first two seasons on DVD. :D

kylethoreau
02-29-2008, 05:15 PM
I remember really getting into this show when I was 13-14 since it'd always play around 2 pm which was the same time I got home from school everyday.

Generally it was the boat episodes that featured Goliath's daughter, whom I always thought was a kickass character, sadly I never really got to see them in order or all of them for that matter.

I was tempted by the DVD's until Disney decided not to finish the series due to low DVD sales.:surrend:

UltimateFactor
02-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Man I loved this damn show. Right up there with Mighty Max. I never watched Goliath Chronicles since it was never shown out of it's Saturday block that I never watched because I was always watching somthing on Fox. As far as Nick goes...I'm probably the only one who misses the Golden Magical days that were Mia The Bee, The Noozles, Little Kowala and David the Gnome. :Oops:

Benel Germosen
02-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Fuck man. I had great cartoons growing up. Batman:TAS, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Earthworm Jim, The Batman/Superman Hour, The X-men Animated series, Gargoyles, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck etc.

Yeah. Nice.

c. page
02-29-2008, 06:06 PM
absolutely loved this show. even the goliath chronicles.

simply a well put together show, with solid writing and some damn fine animation.

Ryan Elliott
02-29-2008, 06:12 PM
absolutely loved this show. even the goliath chronicles.

simply a well put together show, with solid writing and some damn fine animation.

Two of my favorite Goliath moments(two of them, many more throughout the show's history) came from the first couple of episodes from the first season.

When he and Hudson return to the castle(in the past), and Goliath discovers Demona's remains, and he screams. That's one. The other, after the Captain and the evil viking dude fall off the cliff and Goliath says, "I've been denied everything. EVEN MY REVENGE!"

Love those moments.

kylethoreau
02-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Man I loved this damn show. Right up there with Mighty Max. I never watched Goliath Chronicles since it was never shown out of it's Saturday block that I never watched because I was always watching somthing on Fox. As far as Nick goes...I'm probably the only one who misses the Golden Magical days that were Mia The Bee, The Noozles, Little Kowala and David the Gnome. :Oops:

oh fuck yeah I used to love Nick Jr when i was young. I'd kill to get the koala show and David the gnome on DVD

InBendiswetrust
02-29-2008, 06:38 PM
I watched the movie a couple weeks ago. Love it.

Best part: Goliath's overdramatic awakening everytime.

stevapalooza
02-29-2008, 08:32 PM
I was already a teenager when that show came out but I loved it. It was one of those cartoons even teenagers would watch without shame (same for Batman).

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
03-01-2008, 03:23 AM
Hell yeah, we had it awesome. I mentioned Gargoyles, but can't leave out Batman: TAS, Spider-Man, and X-Men. All amazing shows.

kylethoreau
03-01-2008, 03:53 AM
what the hell happend to weekday afternoon cartoons?

Ordinance Violation
03-01-2008, 06:35 AM
also guilty of watching both Batman and Gargoyles

copypastepuke
03-01-2008, 06:45 AM
i watched the shit out of that show