PDA

View Full Version : I'm watching all 6 Star Wars movies in a row

simon trent
02-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Starting in 20 mins, a friend and I are watching them all back to back. We've been planning it for awhile and it's finally worked out to find a day. Can't wait to start.

oh, and this is also my 200th post.

AAlgar
02-23-2008, 07:40 AM
I hope you enjoy them.

Prepare for the cavalcade of people telling you why you shouldn't. Fuck those people. Fuck them right in their ears.

You build that little tent, Caleb!

WillieLee
02-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Poor AAl.

Bill Nolan
02-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Do it right. By release date. Or fail.

simon trent
02-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Do it right. By release date. Or fail.

we're actually watching them 1 through 6. thought about it that way, but we want to see the story unfold this way.

Ben
02-23-2008, 07:53 AM
we're actually watching them 1 through 6. thought about it that way, but we want to see the story unfold this way.Watching them 1-6 spoils the surprise at the end of 5!!! AND it spoils a surprise at the beginning of 6!!!

simon trent
02-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Watching them 1-6 spoils the surprise at the end of 5!!! AND it spoils a surprise at the beginning of 6!!!

i know, i know. but i know the surprises. we both talked about that, how anyone that hasn't seen the movies, have to watch them 3-6, then 1-3. but we've seen them all tons, just never in order in one sitting.

MAK15
02-23-2008, 07:57 AM
have lotsa snacks and brews ready.

Akira
02-23-2008, 07:59 AM
ignore the haters and have a ball:)

Doug O
02-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Sounds very fun. I'm curious if the time jump between 3 and 4 rings true, I don't like the fact that Luke is 18 or so and Obi-wan is, like 80.

AAlgar
02-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Sounds very fun. I'm curious if the time jump between 3 and 4 rings true, I don't like the fact that Luke is 18 or so and Obi-wan is, like 80.

20 years in the desert ages you more.

Plus, um... the life... force of the other Jedi... kept them all... young.

Where's my No Prize?

Thommy Melanson
02-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Vader dies at the end.

glk
02-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Starting in 20 mins, a friend and I are watching them all back to back. We've been planning it for awhile and it's finally worked out to find a day. Can't wait to start.

That's awesome. I'm doing LOTR extended cuts in two weeks, but spread-out over three consecutive nights - I can't get one solid day to myself for it.

Have fun!

Changeling
02-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Have fun! Want to do this myself. Have done it with the 4-6 many many times. I also did it with 4-6 & 1. I need to find the time to watch all 6 non stop. I may have to wait for my son to get older and watch them with him.

Joe Kalicki
02-23-2008, 10:00 AM
You need to watch them 4-5, 1-3, 6.

Trust me.

TV Zombie
02-23-2008, 10:12 AM
What is this "Star Wars" you speak of?

TheKraken
02-23-2008, 10:15 AM
That's awesome. I'm doing LOTR extended cuts in two weeks, but spread-out over three consecutive nights - I can't get one solid day to myself for it.

Have fun!

Some friends & I did the extended LOTR thing a couple of years ago. There was a core of about 4 people watching all day with various people popping in and out during the movies, especially around the times my friend Mike was cooking. :) It was a good time.

DaveCummings
02-23-2008, 10:39 AM

Very cool. And I have to echo the statement of "Fuck the haters" as well. I love all the movies, they are all fun. Are some not as well done as others, yeah sure, but they're still fun dammit!!

Akira
02-23-2008, 10:42 AM

Alec Guinness was 63 when they filmed Episode IV, and has always looked about that age to me. That may be fudging a little, but I could totally buy Episode III Obi as having just turned 40.

stevapalooza
02-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Spoiler alert:

The special effects drop off a little midway thru.

Bill Nolan
02-24-2008, 06:16 AM

Trust me.

I brought this up to my wife last night, and, surprisingly, we decided that this order makes a hell of a lot of sense. :eek:

simon trent
02-24-2008, 06:27 AM
well, i would have written last night at 2:30 when i finished watching them all, but i was wiped out. none the less, all i could think about was star wars while trying to fall asleep.

the jump between 3 and 4 seemed to work out perfectly. and moving from 2 to the 3 works really well. i think ankakin is really set up well to turn to the dark side.

the only thing that got to us is when vader finds out that luke is alive. at the beginning of episode 5, he says that skywalker is on Hoth. and then when he sees the emperor, the dialogue they have is confusing. we kept talking about how we wish we could have seen the point where vader realizes that luke was actually born and he had a son.

we thought either he found out and was keeping it from the emperor to maybe try and overthrow him, or that he was so far gone into the dark side that him having a son doesn't even matter to him i think agree with the dark side controlling his mind.

i know that there is no way to change this because they were made 20 years apart and it's just something that you have to let go, but that really is the only thing that sticks out from the entire saga. i'm glad we did it and we decided that next time we're going to watch them 4-6 and then 1-3.

a great, great day.

R0cketFr0g
02-24-2008, 06:46 AM
Did Han shoot first?

simon trent
02-24-2008, 06:52 AM
Did Han shoot first?

not even going there

Gavin
02-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Do yourself a favor and skip episodes I-III.

jess
02-24-2008, 06:58 AM
hahaha you already did it. i bet you were so tired.

Josh!
02-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Man, I applaud your stamina. I can't watch more than two movies back to back.

simon trent
02-24-2008, 07:18 AM
i only got tired really right before jedi. we made some coffee and everything was good. you have to be determined to sit on your ass all day. it's quite challenging.

glk
02-24-2008, 08:00 AM

:roll:

greg donovan
02-24-2008, 08:02 AM
well, i would have written last night at 2:30 when i finished watching them all, but i was wiped out. none the less, all i could think about was star wars while trying to fall asleep.

the jump between 3 and 4 seemed to work out perfectly. and moving from 2 to the 3 works really well. i think ankakin is really set up well to turn to the dark side.

the only thing that got to us is when vader finds out that luke is alive. at the beginning of episode 5, he says that skywalker is on Hoth. and then when he sees the emperor, the dialogue they have is confusing. we kept talking about how we wish we could have seen the point where vader realizes that luke was actually born and he had a son.

we thought either he found out and was keeping it from the emperor to maybe try and overthrow him, or that he was so far gone into the dark side that him having a son doesn't even matter to him i think agree with the dark side controlling his mind.

i know that there is no way to change this because they were made 20 years apart and it's just something that you have to let go, but that really is the only thing that sticks out from the entire saga. i'm glad we did it and we decided that next time we're going to watch them 4-6 and then 1-3.

a great, great day.

i need to watch the theatrical version of empire as compared to the most recent edit of the film to make sure but i think there were some changes to the dialogue of that scene in the most recent spedial edition of empire.

greg donovan
02-24-2008, 08:03 AM

:blah:

DanLTaylor
02-24-2008, 08:37 AM
I plan on conducting a similar experiment. My girlfriend has never seen a single Star Wars movie. I, on the other hand, original trilogy (IV, V, VI). So, we're going to watch them from Episode I through Episode VI to get her perspective of seeing all six chapters in story order having not seen any of the flicks previously. I don't think we'll do it in one sitting though.

Side note: I still have to have her watch Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade before May 22nd.

costello
02-24-2008, 08:49 AM
You deserve 1000 achievement points.

simon trent
02-24-2008, 08:50 AM
i need to watch the theatrical version of empire as compared to the most recent edit of the film to make sure but i think there were some changes to the dialogue of that scene in the most recent spedial edition of empire.

they did change it. even with the updates, it's kind of confusing, but if you agree that vader is so far lost in the dark side, it's okay.

greg donovan
02-24-2008, 08:51 AM
I plan on conducting a similar experiment. My girlfriend has never seen a single Star Wars movie. I, on the other hand, original trilogy (IV, V, VI). So, we're going to watch them from Episode I through Episode VI to get her perspective of seeing all six chapters in story order having not seen any of the flicks previously. I don't think we'll do it in one sitting though.

Side note: I still have to have her watch Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade before May 22nd.

how old is she?

simon trent
02-24-2008, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=DanLTaylor;4314354]I plan on conducting a similar experiment. My girlfriend has never seen a single Star Wars movie. I, on the other hand, original trilogy (IV, V, VI). So, we're going to watch them from Episode I through Episode VI to get her perspective of seeing all six chapters in story order having not seen any of the flicks previously. I don't think we'll do it in one sitting though.

i tried this with my wife before episode 2 came out. it confused the shit out of her and made her mad. i think that anyone that hasn't seen any of them has to watch them in the original release order. you lose so much at the end of episode 5 if already know about anakin.

costello
02-24-2008, 08:52 AM

Have fun!

I did it once when I stayed home sick. It actually wasn't that bad. I had a 20 minute intermission throughout half of the movies, and between movies I took an hour off.

Now I dare you to watch the hours of "making of," the documentaries that came with the newest releases, AND the extended cuts. That's a week worth of stuff right there.

Taxman
02-24-2008, 08:54 AM
i know, i know. but i know the surprises. we both talked about that, how anyone that hasn't seen the movies, have to watch them 3-6, then 1-3. but we've seen them all tons, just never in order in one sitting.I wonder though, does the Palpatine story line offer any intrigue if one watches them for the first time chronologically?

Taxman
02-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Some friends & I did the extended LOTR thing a couple of years ago. There was a core of about 4 people watching all day with various people popping in and out during the movies, especially around the times my friend Mike was cooking. :) It was a good time.Was this regular, or extended versions?

greg donovan
02-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Band of Brothers would be another good one to watch straight through.

Taxman
02-24-2008, 08:58 AM
[

Trust me.
This sounds like the Miller's Crossing theory.

bartleby
02-24-2008, 08:58 AM
i tried this with my wife before episode 2 came out. it confused the shit out of her and made her mad. i think that anyone that hasn't seen any of them has to watch them in the original release order. you lose so much at the end of episode 5 if already know about anakin.

Yeah, but chances are that even people who haven't seen a single Star Wars movie already know the big twist.

DanLTaylor
02-24-2008, 09:06 AM
how old is she?

DanLTaylor
02-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Yeah, but chances are that even people who haven't seen a single Star Wars movie already know the big twist.
True 'dat.

simon trent
02-24-2008, 09:48 AM

agreed.

Joe Kalicki
02-24-2008, 10:34 AM
I brought this up to my wife last night, and, surprisingly, we decided that this order makes a hell of a lot of sense. :eek:

Of course it does. I think it works best dramatically, though I've yet to test it out myself.

[
This sounds like the Miller's Crossing theory.

What is this?

Ethan Van Sciver
02-24-2008, 10:36 AM
That sounds like a great idea. Have some fried chicken snax and soda pop and watch all of the Star Wars movies with some friends!

That's a full day, right? 6x2 hours?

Bill Nolan
02-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Of course it does. I think it works best dramatically, though I've yet to test it out myself.

You get the big "reveal" surprise in Empire, and then a three-movie flashback on the origin of Vader, and then the big redemption scene at the very end. I'm showing them to my kid in this order.

Joe Kalicki
02-24-2008, 11:19 AM
You get the big "reveal" surprise in Empire, and then a three-movie flashback on the origin of Vader, and then the big redemption scene at the very end. I'm showing them to my kid in this order.

Let me know how it works! I was so excited when I first read about this order.

greg donovan
02-24-2008, 12:32 PM

i plan on doing the same thing.