PDA

View Full Version : LA Confidential starting on AMC now.

James Patrick
02-17-2008, 09:03 PM
If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor. Guy Peirce, Russel Crowe, Kevin Spacey, and Rollo Tamasi :)

jason hissong
02-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Breaking Bad is on my AMC.

The Count
02-17-2008, 09:09 PM
I heard Rollo Tomasi

is the one who gets away with it.

Perhaps

Rollo Tomasi=Keyser Sosei

:)

James Patrick
02-17-2008, 09:09 PM
FUCK. TCM. Sorry.

Petey Parker
02-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Turner Classic Movies

whoops too slow

Its betters that its on TCM though cause AMC edits.

NeverWanderer
02-17-2008, 09:24 PM
If only I could selectively choose cable networks... TCM & IFC would probly be some of the ONLY channels I'd want.

...I really need to buy that fuckin' movie. It's received the multi-disk Special Edition DVD treatment by now, right..?

Petey Parker
02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
If only I could selectively choose cable networks... TCM & IFC would probly be some of the ONLY channels I'd want.

...I really need to buy that fuckin' movie. It's received the multi-disk Special Edition DVD treatment by now, right..?

TCM is great. A lot of times I just leave it on and have no idea what I'm even watching but there are some great movies on there.

NeverWanderer
02-17-2008, 09:30 PM
TCM is great. A lot of times I just leave it on and have no idea what I'm even watching but there are some great movies on there.

There are few things I like more than accidentally watching part of a great old movie. :)

chester74
02-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Y' know, it makes me sad that Kim Basinger was the actor who got the oscar for this movie. It's like the Acadamy can't figure out how to award anything to an ensemble cast, so they give it to the girl cause they cant figure out who to nominate out of Crowe, Peirce, Spacey, etc. All of whom were better in it than she was. In fact, probably the only reason she seemed good in this is that the actors around her made her LOOK good.

BENDIS!
02-17-2008, 09:33 PM
then turn it off just before the false ending :)

RoloTomassi
02-17-2008, 10:19 PM
I heard Rollo Tomasi

is the one who gets away with it.

Perhaps

Rollo Tomasi=Keyser Sosei

:)

:scared:

Mike McNeely
02-17-2008, 10:56 PM

Too true. :(

The Hodag
02-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Too true. :(

Okay, now that everyone's getting "too cool for the room", can someone remind me what this "false ending" is supposed to be? I know the movie is radically different from the book throughout, but I can't remember the beef with the ending. It's too "Hollywood" or something, right? Too upbeat?

NeverWanderer
02-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Okay, now that everyone's getting "too cool for the room", can someone remind me what this "false ending" is supposed to be? I know the movie is radically different from the book throughout, but I can't remember the beef with the ending. It's too "Hollywood" or something, right? Too upbeat?

I think in the book, Russell Crowe's character bites it.

So, for the purists, the end of the movie is a cardinal sin.

I didn't really have a problem with it either way.

Servo106
02-17-2008, 11:47 PM
I think in the book, Russell Crowe's character bites it.

So, for the purists, the end of the movie is a cardinal sin.

I didn't really have a problem with it either way.
Nope.
But Dudley does pretty much get away scott free.
I like both endings but perfer the book as the better of the two. I can at least respect the movie's ending so it isn't as bad as some. My major problem with the movie is time. There were so many fantastic subplots that had to be cut from the novel due to length and it kind of shallowed out some of the character development.

Still a great damn movie. Just I think a better book.

NeverWanderer
02-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Nope.
But Dudley does pretty much get away scott free.
I like both endings but perfer the book as the better of the two. I can at least respect the movie's ending so it isn't as bad as some. My major problem with the movie is time. There were so many fantastic subplots that had to be cut from the novel due to length and it kind of shallowed out some of the character development.

Still a great damn movie. Just I think a better book.

Ahh, okee.

Fair analysis! I can very much appreciate where you're coming from.

chester74
02-18-2008, 03:06 AM
Wow. I need to read the book if its that much better than the movie.

modungo
02-18-2008, 04:32 AM
Oh, nutz to that false ending shit. LA Confidential is probably the best book adaptation ever that isn't called Lonesome Dove. The shit they change is changed because it was meant to exist on it's own and not as the 3rd book in a series. The reason...

...Dudley gets taken' out in this one...

...is because there wasn't gonna be any White Jazz movie coming down the pike anytime soon.

trevor hale
02-18-2008, 06:41 AM
I just wish someone would make a good adaptation of American Tabloid. But I think that would be too difficult. But oh, so great if it happened.

jason hissong
02-18-2008, 06:44 AM
In college I wrote a fifteen page paper on how L.A. Confidential, the film, wasn't possible unless Chinatown existed and how eerily similar the two are.

WillieLee
02-18-2008, 06:50 AM

Word.

Servo106
02-18-2008, 08:26 AM
I just wish someone would make a good adaptation of American Tabloid. But I think that would be too difficult. But oh, so great if it happened.
No way that could ever work even close to the same level as a movie. The plot is fairly complex and I couldn't even wager a guess on what and how you would cut that to fit in two or three hours.