PDA

View Full Version : How come you can 'rent a pet', but you can't rent a prostitute...?

Shwicaz
02-17-2008, 01:32 AM
The big news in Boston, is the company 'rent a pet' is opening up its doors here.

People in the city, apparently, who work too many hours and live in cramped apartments don't have time for a full time pet (so says the company), so they offer this dog rental service.

You can rent a pet by the hour, by the day, the weekend, or a week. It is seen as 'innovation' and the 'perfect antidote for people looking for a little companionship'.

and yet, couldn't the same thing be said for prostitutes....? Work too many hours, and ashamed of your small apartment? Rent a prostitute. She won't complain. She'd be glad for the income. And its 'the perfect antidote for people looking for a little companionship."

:lol:

is sex the issue? Is it because people shouldn't pay other people for sex....?

I have never had to pay for it, but I am sure those that have would rather a safe, clean prostitute (licensed, etc.) rather than going to seedy neighborhoods looking for meth/crack whores.

discuss....

Humphrey_Lee
02-17-2008, 02:02 AM
When I inevitably hit my 30's still single and near suicidal from loneliness, I was just figuring I'd just "adopt" an 18 year old Filipino girl... problem solved, and one less child on the streets... :)

I wonder if it's humid in Hell...

Uther
02-17-2008, 02:13 AM
I don't really think there's a real comparison there. They're not renting the pets for screwing are they?

But, then again, we antipodeans have just (a few years ago) legalized prostitution and it solved every wrong in our society immediately so I support your argument.

NATE!
02-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Because Uther would be broke constantly, otherwise.

Uther
02-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Because Uther would be broke constantly, otherwise.

:mistrust:

:no:

Shwicaz
02-17-2008, 04:59 AM
I don't really think there's a real comparison there. They're not renting the pets for screwing are they?

But, then again, we antipodeans have just (a few years ago) legalized prostitution and it solved every wrong in our society immediately so I support your argument.

we don't know that yet.

:twisted:

R0cketFr0g
02-17-2008, 05:04 AM
we don't know that yet.

:twisted:

I wonder if there's a clause in the rental agreement that prohibits screwing them...

Pia Guerra
02-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Why rent a pet when you can go to the local SPCA and spend time with the animals there for free? They're always looking for volunteer dog walkers.

R0cketFr0g
02-17-2008, 05:21 AM
Why rent a pet when you can go to the local SPCA and spend time with the animals there for free? They're always looking for volunteer dog walkers.

Shwicaz seems to have something other than "walking" in mind though.

Hate_Prime
02-17-2008, 05:31 AM
Anyone with even a little experience in video rental knows the product never remains pristine. They aways come back worn, beaten, tattered, dirty and sometimes jizz stained. Poor rental hamsters.

Gunter
02-17-2008, 05:39 AM
Anyone with even a little experience in video rental knows the product never remains pristine. They aways come back worn, beaten, tattered, dirty and sometimes jizz stained. Poor rental hamsters.

They put Richard Gere on the "do not rent to" list.

DaveCummings
02-17-2008, 06:04 AM
I think that prostitution should be legal. I wouldn't use it myself, but I think that whatever a person does that doesn't harm anyone else, it shouldn't be illegal. That's why I think prostitution and drugs should be legalized if not just decriminalized. The crackdown on those have created so many more crimes and problems than they helped and we've wasted so much money and overpopulated so many prisons putting people away for things that are never going to go away.

Sorry, just letting my libertarian views spew forth.

~Dave

WillieLee
02-17-2008, 07:11 AM
I think that prostitution should be legal. I wouldn't use it myself, but I think that whatever a person does that doesn't harm anyone else, it shouldn't be illegal. That's why I think prostitution and drugs should be legalized if not just decriminalized. The crackdown on those have created so many more crimes and problems than they helped and we've wasted so much money and overpopulated so many prisons putting people away for things that are never going to go away.

~Dave

But what abou...oh, you're libertarian. Nevermind.

NickT
02-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Why can I swat a fly, but not a human? Why are we stopped from squashing people????

:razz:

Jason California
02-17-2008, 08:01 AM
But what abou...oh, you're libertarian. Nevermind.

No, tell me. What about what?

costello
02-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Why can I swat a fly, but not a human? Why are we stopped from squashing people????

:razz:

I want to squash a canine with my pen**.

costello
02-17-2008, 08:05 AM
No, tell me. What about what?

Daniel McCarthy wrote, 'Russell Kirk, the godfather of latter-day traditionalist conservatism, describes 'the representative libertarian' as 'humorless, intolerant, self-righteous, badly schooled, and dull. At least the old-fangled Russian anarchist was bold, lively, and knew which sex he belonged to'."

Brian Defferding
02-17-2008, 08:27 AM
I'm all for decriminalizing prostitution.

Brian Defferding
02-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Daniel McCarthy wrote, 'Russell Kirk, the godfather of latter-day traditionalist conservatism, describes 'the representative libertarian' as 'humorless, intolerant, self-righteous, badly schooled, and dull. At least the old-fangled Russian anarchist was bold, lively, and knew which sex he belonged to'."

Heh. :p

adam_warlock_2099
02-17-2008, 08:50 AM
The fact that prostitution is illegal has about as much sense as the liquor laws here in Oklahoma . . . none.

At any rate, fucking a dog is wrong. The dog isn't consenting. If you like to fuck animals, your kinda sick. Just kinda, but mostly just because the animal can't consent, not that you like having sex with animals.

Although donkeys have dicks too . . .

costello
02-17-2008, 08:53 AM
The fact that prostitution is illegal has about as much sense as the liquor laws here in Oklahoma . . . none.

At any rate, fucking a dog is wrong. The dog isn't consenting. If you like to fuck animals, your kinda sick. Just kinda, but mostly just because the animal can't consent, not that you like having sex with animals.

Although donkeys have dicks too . . .

But that look she gives me sure looks like consent. And she licks me afterwards. :roll:

adam_warlock_2099
02-17-2008, 08:54 AM
But that look she gives me sure looks like consent. And she licks me afterwards. :roll:

Well there you go then.

jason hissong
02-17-2008, 09:13 AM

~Dave

I agree with prostitution but disagree with the drugs argument.

Because when someone uses drugs they can harm others. I'm sorry, but I don't want to be driving on the same road as someone who just got loaded on some coke, or LSD, or meth. I probably am anyway, but drug users out others' well beings at risk.

Dreaded Anomaly
02-17-2008, 10:26 AM
The argument against the legalization of prostitution is that it opens up many, many women to be exploited and probably raped. This is certainly a danger when the legalization is done incorrectly; I read an article a few years ago about how a woman, I think in Germany, was denied unemployment benefits because she could just "go be a prostitute" while she was out of work.

The correct way to go about it would be to have a prostitutes' union (and yes, I am modeling this on the Companions' Guild in Firefly). Put all of the power in the hands of the women themselves, instead of the pimps and the clients.

Also, I think marijuana should be legal if alcohol is. As far as intoxicating effects, they're not too different.

Ray G.
02-17-2008, 10:30 AM
The argument against the legalization of prostitution is that it opens up many, many women to be exploited and probably raped. This is certainly a danger when the legalization is done incorrectly; I read an article a few years ago about how a woman, I think in Germany, was denied unemployment benefits because she could just "go be a prostitute" while she was out of work.

The correct way to go about it would be to have a prostitutes' union (and yes, I am modeling this on the Companions' Guild in Firefly). Put all of the power in the hands of the women themselves, instead of the pimps and the clients.

Also, I think marijuana should be legal if alcohol is. As far as intoxicating effects, they're not too different.

I like this idea. :D

It also opens the door to government regulation of prostitution. For an official brothel to be registered, it has to consent to regular tests for its women and clients. Which is just a good idea on all levels.

NickT
02-17-2008, 10:33 AM
The correct way to go about it would be to have a prostitutes' union (and yes, I am modeling this on the Companions' Guild in Firefly).
This is like how people justify torture by bringing up 24 ;)

Boris the Blade
02-17-2008, 03:18 PM

It doesn't make sense to me that it would open things up to rape or abuse. Finally, the sex workers being abused or raped would be able to go to the authorities.

And since big business would be all too fast to catch on, wouldn't it make it safer for a majority of sex workers? Wee.

Dreaded Anomaly
02-17-2008, 03:24 PM
This is like how people justify torture by bringing up 24 ;)

But I'm saying that the prostitutes need a union to protect them from sicko prostitute torturers. It's like the exact opposite! :)

It doesn't make sense to me that it would open things up to rape or abuse. Finally, the sex workers being abused or raped would be able to go to the authorities.

And since big business would be all too fast to catch on, wouldn't it make it safer for a majority of sex workers? Wee.

Generally, that argument is used when people picture "legalizing prostitution" as "keeping the system the same as it is now, except you won't get arrested, and more people will use it." If you consider it in the broader context of economy and business, it does tend to fall apart.

MikeCosta
02-17-2008, 03:52 PM
I like this idea. :D

It also opens the door to government regulation of prostitution. For an official brothel to be registered, it has to consent to regular tests for its women and clients. Which is just a good idea on all levels.

Oh yeah. Things are always better when the government starts regulating it. Finally, and end to oversight, abuse, despotism, senseless regulation and crushing bureaucracy that impedes reform and progress!