PDA

View Full Version : Punisher MAX (Annual): Force of Nature

Marc Lombardi
02-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Anyone read this?

I did and thought it was brilliant.

If anyone has any doubts on what Duane Swierczynski will do writing Cable I think this issue should ease their concerns. I was completely impressed. I know Duane loves the Punisher so he was fantastic at finding Frank's voice.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Pat Loika
02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
I loved it. I recently read his novels and that great Moon Knight annual he did in preparation for his upcoming Cable book.

P.

Jef UK
02-14-2008, 11:33 AM
I skipped it. Bad decision? I'm going back to the shop today, so maybe.....

David Price
02-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Nothing wrong with the writing in this at all. Frank looked a little thin, but it was a nice, tight read.

I'm ready for Cable because I want to see Duane write from the character's POV more. His Moon Knight Annual was all about the victims telling their stories. Here, we had Punisher's thoughts on what he was doing an why, but there was also a lot going on with the three stooges. That's not a bad thing or meant to be a negative. We've only seen two comics from him, and I'm sure I'm just anxious.

I knew Duane wrote it because it didn't take long for Philly to be mentioned. :)

Fake Pat
02-14-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm really glad to hear you guys liked this. I'm was sold on at least trying Cable for Olivetti, but I was still wary about the writing.

Guess I shouldn't be. If he can do Punisher right, Cable shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Marc Lombardi
02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
I loved it. I recently read his novels and that great Moon Knight annual he did in preparation for his upcoming Cable book.

P.
What did you think if the novels. Wheelman was probably my favorite, but I thoroughly enjoyed The Blonde.

I knew Duane wrote it because it didn't take long for Philly to be mentioned. :)
And Wildwood. And Voorhees. Lots of local namedropping. Also, I could be mistaken, but the one character that
got dropped upside down from a window
looked a lot like Swierzy himself

I'm really glad to hear you guys liked this. I'm was sold on at least trying Cable for Olivetti, but I was still wary about the writing.

Guess I shouldn't be. If he can do Punisher right, Cable shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
Bear in mind that The Punisher is arguably Swierczynski's favorite character of all time. With that said, I also agree that he will capably knock his Cable-writing chores out of the park

David Price
02-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Not speaking for Mr. Loika, but The Wheelman and The Blonde (and Redhead) were outstanding. Like you, I think The Wheelman's my favorite and I'm glad I read it first as there were nice ties to it in The Blonde. I emailed Duane as I got closer to the end. I kept asking "Did he just say he kept __________ alive?", "When he was asking about his brother-in-law, was he referring to _________?", things like that.

I'm a fan of the man and am getting Cable solely because he's writing it (Ariel's art (which is great) is a little too Heavy Metal magazine for me here. Now if I could have Scot Eaton and John Dell illustrate a Cable book, I'd be in heaven). I cannot wait for Severance Package. And with a Tomm Coker cover, to boot!

David Price
02-14-2008, 12:08 PM
And Wildwood. And Voorhees. Lots of local namedropping. Also, I could be mistaken, but the one character that
got dropped upside down from a window
looked a lot like Swierzy himself
I'll have to look again, but now that you mention it....

Figures he'd be the one that holds out until the bitter end.

Howlett
02-14-2008, 12:10 PM
I wasn't going to try this at all. I've never read anything by the writer, the cover and solicitation did nothing for me, and I'll be honest, seeing a MAX Punisher not written by Ennis just didn't really register with me (at least not while he's on the book).

But I read it anyway, and fuck me, that was good! REALLY good! Nothing spectacular or anything, but enough to make me want to see this guy write some more stories with the character. From reading this, and seeing the post a few posts up that Punisher is this guys favourite character, I'd be happy to see this guy take a shot at the book after Ennis leaves.

The only thing I'd want to see is Frank's age be kept consistant. That was something I loved about Ennis's run and from this issue at least, Frank looked like he was early 30's in this.

Magnum V.I.
02-14-2008, 12:12 PM
I wasn't going to try this at all. I've never read anything by the writer, the cover and solicitation did nothing for me, and I'll be honest, seeing a MAX Punisher not written by Ennis just didn't really register with me (at least not while he's on the book).

But I read it anyway, and fuck me, that was good! REALLY good! Nothing spectacular or anything, but enough to make me want to see this guy write some more stories with the character. From reading this, and seeing the post a few posts up that Punisher is this guys favourite character, I'd be happy to see this guy take a shot at the book after Ennis leaves.

The only thing I'd want to see is Frank's age be kept consistant. That was something I loved about Ennis's run and from this issue at least, Frank looked like he was early 30's in this.

Opening up a Book saying "Harpooning a man isn't as easy as you think." Screams win to me.

Howlett
02-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Opening up a Book saying "Harpooning a man isn't as easy as you think." Screams win to me.

God fucking yes! That was brilliant! :rofl:

Marc Lombardi
02-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Not speaking for Mr. Loika, but The Wheelman and The Blonde (and Redhead) were outstanding. Like you, I think The Wheelman's my favorite and I'm glad I read it first as there were nice ties to it in The Blonde. I emailed Duane as I got closer to the end. I kept asking "Did he just say he kept __________ alive?", "When he was asking about his brother-in-law, was he referring to _________?", things like that.

I'm a fan of the man and am getting Cable solely because he's writing it (Ariel's art (which is great) is a little too Heavy Metal magazine for me here. Now if I could have Scot Eaton and John Dell illustrate a Cable book, I'd be in heaven). I cannot wait for Severance Package. And with a Tomm Coker cover, to boot!

Ditto! Did you check out the Dr. Watson book? Looks like a lot of fun.

I know he has some free time now. Today was his last day at his "regular job" editing one of Philly's local weekly papers.

Marc Lombardi
02-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Duane's a regular Herman Mellzynski.

David Price
02-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Ditto! Did you check out the Dr. Watson book? Looks like a lot of fun.
I've only read about it briefly from his blog, but it's on my 'gotta get it' list.

Magnum V.I.
02-14-2008, 12:18 PM
God fucking yes! That was brilliant! :rofl:

It was pretty nice. :lol:

I'm halfway through it. Not bad. Caught his little die hard reference. ("C'mon out to the shore. We'll get together, have a few laughs...")

Howlett
02-14-2008, 12:22 PM
It was pretty nice. :lol:

I'm halfway through it. Not bad. Caught his little die hard reference. ("C'mon out to the shore. We'll get together, have a few laughs...")

I caught that reference too. Course, I actually had the Die Hard song playing in the background too so that might've helped :lol:

Magnum V.I.
02-14-2008, 12:23 PM
I caught that reference too. Course, I actually had the Die Hard song playing in the background too so that might've helped :lol:

:lol:
You know, I really wouldn't mind the first arc or two after Ennis leaves to be this guy. Maybe 2, 3 issue arcs to see how he does.

Howlett
02-14-2008, 12:27 PM
You know, I really wouldn't mind the first arc or two after Ennis leaves to be this guy. Maybe 2, 3 issue arcs to see how he does.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot.

Marc Lombardi
02-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Allow me to swap out my Shadowline "pimp" hat for my Swierczynski "pimp" hat for a moment. If anyone liked this issue I URGE you to find copies of The Wheelman and The Blonde at your local bookstore.

Magnum V.I.
02-14-2008, 12:29 PM
I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot.

Me either. I'd like to see other one shots with different writers to test out creative teams. But he's got my vote to try it.

Brad N.
02-14-2008, 12:30 PM
I didn't care for his Moon Knight annual at all so I didn't bother to pick this one up, but I'll give him a shot with Cable.

Brad N.
02-14-2008, 12:31 PM
As for Punisher MAX after Ennis leaves the ONLY person I want to see wriing that book right now is Jason Aaron.

Fake Pat
02-14-2008, 12:42 PM

That's pretty awesome.

Marc Lombardi
02-14-2008, 12:44 PM

That's pretty awesome.

Yes...it is:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_Ou_2h3DS-Fc/R6z2eXNnxOI/AAAAAAAAAZo/mFImjvrHjrM/s1600/PUNMAXF001_int-1.jpg

David Price
02-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I didn't care for his Moon Knight annual at all so I didn't bother to pick this one up, but I'll give him a shot with Cable.
I'm curious. I don't want to derail this thread so I'll ask if you talked about it elsewhere (I'll look for a Moon Knight Annual thread).

Brad N.
02-14-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm curious. I don't want to derail this thread so I'll ask if you talked about it elsewhere (I'll look for a Moon Knight Annual thread).

Well, it's not too much of a derailment. I just didn't think there was much substance to it and it was pretty generic and bland to me. It felt like the guy wrote it as something else originally and then made a few minor adjustments to add Moon Knight in there. It certainly wasn't as bad as Benson's Punisher book and his two issues of Moon Knight (I still say that creative team should be Marc Andreyko and Angel Medina) but it did nothing for me. I'm curious about Cable though and enjoy Olivetti's work so I'll give the guy another shot.