PDA

View Full Version : So I just watched Requiem for a Dream

The Hodag
02-11-2008, 10:13 PM
I thought it was interesting that it was structurally so reminiscent of the only other Aronofsky film I've seen, Pi. Had that same staccato pacing, increasing paranoia, driving electronic music.

But I didn't care for it half so much as Pi. It was technically damn impressive and featured fine performances, but the more chaotic it got toward the end the more it felt like an ordeal for the viewer and not a story. It also almost became weirdly comical in its relentlessness. In the end I was felt detached from it all and unmoved. I also felt like I'd watched the world's darkest After School Special.

As an aside, was the Indian woman who played Ellen Burstyn's nurse by chance the same woman who played the next door neighbor of the lead in Pi?

tenaciousxtiff
02-11-2008, 10:25 PM
That movie (being Requiem) always makes me cry. Like, the hysterical kind, sadly.

As does the music.

MDogg922
02-11-2008, 10:29 PM
I didn't like this movie at all. To me it seemed like Aronofsky was out to show the world how "weird" and "edgy" he could be. But it did absolutely nothing for me. It's weird that I found this movie to have no middle ground at all...either it was loved or hated.

Aside from a few moments in the movie ("ass to ass"), this movie did absolutely nothing for me except make me mad that I wasted an hour and a half of my life.

The Hodag
02-11-2008, 10:35 PM
That movie (being Requiem) always makes me cry. Like, the hysterical kind, sadly.

As does the music.

You know, it just occured to me that Requiem's grim violin theme could probably transition weirdly easily to Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir."

S. Earl
02-11-2008, 10:37 PM
I didn't like this movie at all. To me it seemed like Aronofsky was out to show the world how "weird" and "edgy" he could be. But it did absolutely nothing for me. It's weird that I found this movie to have no middle ground at all...either it was loved or hated.

Aside from a few moments in the movie ("ass to ass"), this movie did absolutely nothing for me except make me mad that I wasted an hour and a half of my life.

I don't find that to be the case at all. When I think of directors trying to be edgy, I point the post production stylings of Tony Scott - All Flash, no substance. Requiem has fantastic editing that goes hand in hand with the music, and it sets the mood well using this tactic. The heart in this film is impossible to deny, the scenes with Jared Leto and Jennifer Connely making plans for the future before everything goes to shit, the flashback that that the Shawn Waynes has of his mother in his last scene. This movie had enough soul to warrant it's straying from the beaten path.

The Hodag
02-11-2008, 10:42 PM
I have to agree that I don't think Aronofsky was doing edgy just to earn cred or anything. I mean, he'd already done weird and edgy in Pi, and certainly the depths of addiction is a fitting topic for such an aggressive filmic style. I just ultimately found it to be so over-the-top as to be distancing.

S. Earl
02-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I have to agree that I don't think Aronofsky was doing edgy just to earn cred or anything. I mean, he'd already done weird and edgy in Pi, and certainly the depths of addiction is a fitting topic for such an aggressive filmic style. I just ultimately found it to be so over-the-top as to be distancing.

Well I do think it was meant to be unsettling, it succeeds a bit too much at times.

WillieLee
02-11-2008, 11:09 PM
It's great. The problem lies within you people.

Mike McNeely
02-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Fantastic movie that I'll probably never watch again.

NeverWanderer
02-11-2008, 11:19 PM

Hah! My thoughts exactly. :)

Though, I'll probly go back on that... I bought the 2 in 1 Pi/Requiem DVD set at Best Buy.

I own.

Some day, I'll watch it again.

I also agree with the people saying that it does almost too good of a job taking you into that experience. I fully believe that was his intention, but it makes it pretty hard to want to look at again.

Ashwin Pande
02-11-2008, 11:26 PM
I felt the movie was good but didn't think it was very great. Editing was fantastic but towards the end I felt it became too negative. I know it's supposed to be negative and is about addiction and how they get waysided in the pursuit of what they want but I felt it became too obsessed with totally demolishing the characters and just completely destroying them leaving no shred of redemption whatsoever. I guess it needed to be so but that's what I didn't like about the movie. Some hope, even a glimmer, would have been good.

The Hodag
02-11-2008, 11:34 PM
I felt the movie was good but didn't think it was very great. Editing was fantastic but towards the end I felt it became too negative. I know it's supposed to be negative and is about addiction and how they get waysided in the pursuit of what they want but I felt it became too obsessed with totally demolishing the characters and just completely destroying them leaving no shred of redemption whatsoever. I guess it needed to be so but that's what I didn't like about the movie. Some hope, even a glimmer, would have been good.

I agree. Real life generally comes with a glimmer of hope, but Requiem's pounding gloom was a touch too "Reefer Madness" for me. Almost propagandistic.

ERNIE_E
02-11-2008, 11:44 PM
After I first saw this film, I watched it again with the commentary, then again without. So in a 2-day span I saw it 3 times and had the images and sounds forever scorched in my brain. I love this film and is a great exploration of Addiction on all levels and types.

What was interesting was that Traffic (which I also loved) came out the same year, and was meant to spark an open forum (not to propose solutions or make blanket statements) on drugs entering and exiting this country. And in the same year due to NC-17 rating and it's rather explosive nature, a film of equal scope and ambition and perhaps a bit more effective in its wake-up call effect about drug addiction was sadly not seen by more people.

Requiem is so depressing but arresting at the same time. It haunts you while teasing you to play it again. That crescendo just building and building until the cauldron just boils over uncontrollably. Connelly will break your heart, Leto and Wayans story will lay heavy in your mind, while Burstyn's turn is beautifully devastating.

A magnificent film.

Uther
02-12-2008, 01:08 AM
I love, love, love this movie.
It's just so distressing and so affecting. Such a direct emotional impact on the viewer is so rare.
Genius genius genius.

Though I do agree a little that not enough was done in the translation process to update the seventies-ness of the drug society which results in possible readings as preaching.

You know, it just occured to me that Requiem's grim violin theme could probably transition weirdly easily to Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir."

Because they're both used in every trailer ever?

Shwicaz
02-12-2008, 01:24 AM
I just watched this again the other day.

Love it.

Shwicaz
02-12-2008, 01:26 AM
did anyone read the book by Hubert Selby Jr.

The young doctor in the film, who seems very uncaring at the psych ward, is actually very sympathetic in the book.

He realizez that Sara isn't a nutbag, just strung out from the various medications she was taking. It is the unfeeling hospital administrators who decide to just give her shock therapy and get rid of her due to her financial situation and lack of immediate improvement.

The book also shed a bit more light on the relationship between Wayans character and his mother.

It was a tough book to read, because Selby Jr. doesn't like to use punctuation....so you have to put in the stops and pauses yourself.

but, its well worth the read.

Ashwin Pande
02-12-2008, 01:38 AM
It was a tough book to read, because Selby Jr. doesn't like to use punctuation....so you have to put in the stops and pauses yourself.

Wha? So how the hell does he write a sentence?

Shwicaz
02-12-2008, 01:54 AM
OOps, sorry.

I think I meant quotation marks, not punctuation marks.

:Oops:

gonna pull the book down and see which is right.

The Hodag
02-12-2008, 01:59 AM
OOps, sorry.

Sounds sorta stream of consciousy. I assume the writing style's an affection to draw the reader into that world? Same as the movie did with its staccato cuts and other stylistic tics?

Ashwin Pande
02-12-2008, 02:02 AM
OOps, sorry.

That reminds me of Adrian Mole when he tried to get a book published without using any vowels throughout.

The Hodag
02-12-2008, 02:03 AM
That reminds me of Adrian Mole when he tried to get a book published without using any vowels throughout.

"The Vanna White Story"

Ashwin Pande
02-12-2008, 02:06 AM
"The Vanna White Story"

That was what it was called? :lol:

Man I should reread those books... been around 10 years.

I read The Cappuccinno Years a couple of years ago and thought it didn't really live up to the memory of Sue Townsend's writing I remembered as a teen. I liked the dig she made at Bridget Jones in the book though. That was hilarious.

I was even introduced to the Mole series by a cousin who gave me an Omnibus of the first 4 books when I was 12 or so and said "This is what you'll go through in the next few years. Enjoy!" I bought The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole for a cousin who turned 15 and wrote the same inscription on it that I got but... she wasn't too appreciative. Her reaction was "Oh. It's a book..... thanks." :roll:

EDIT : Oh duh... I just got the Vanna White joke :p And now my above statements are me rambling about The Adrian Mole books with no relevant context. Sigh.

SMACK!
02-12-2008, 02:22 AM
I thought it was interesting that it was structurally so reminiscent of the only other Aronofsky film I've seen, Pi. Had that same staccato pacing, increasing paranoia, driving electronic music.

But I didn't care for it half so much as Pi. It was technically damn impressive and featured fine performances, but the more chaotic it got toward the end the more it felt like an ordeal for the viewer and not a story. It also almost became weirdly comical in its relentlessness. In the end I was felt detached from it all and unmoved. I also felt like I'd watched the world's darkest After School Special.

As an aside, was the Indian woman who played Ellen Burstyn's nurse by chance the same woman who played the next door neighbor of the lead in Pi?

I'd like to see an after school special where Jennifer Connelly goes ass to ass with another chick

The Hodag
02-12-2008, 02:32 AM
EDIT : Oh duh... I just got the Vanna White joke :p And now my above statements are me rambling about The Adrian Mole books with no relevant context. Sigh.

See, you just weren't in a lowbrow enough state of mind, and suddenly there I was - BANG! - out of fuckin' nowhere with a Wheel of Fortune joke.

On the plus side, I'd never heard of the Adrian Mole series before. I may have to give it a look.

Ashwin Pande
02-12-2008, 02:42 AM
See, you just weren't in a lowbrow enough state of mind, and suddenly there I was - BANG! - out of fuckin' nowhere with a Wheel of Fortune joke.

On the plus side, I'd never heard of the Adrian Mole series before. I may have to give it a look.

I dunno if it's still relevant or even readable once you're not a teenager anymore. There are books where he's an adult and has a bastard child and shit but those aren't as good as the earlier ones. They're a great book for teens though, especially teenage boys.

Shwicaz
02-12-2008, 03:08 AM
Sounds sorta stream of consciousy. I assume the writing style's an affection to draw the reader into that world? Same as the movie did with its staccato cuts and other stylistic tics?

doubt it, as the three books written by Selby all lacked them.

Akira
02-12-2008, 04:14 AM

Yep. I've owned it for years now, but everytime I think I'm gonna rewatch it, i just end up watching the damn "juice by you" featurette. I can't bring myself to start watching the flick again. Painfully heartbreaking to watch.

Marcdachamp
02-12-2008, 05:27 AM
If I ever become a Health teacher for whatever reason, I will totally petition for this movie to be shown in the classroom. Every kid should have to watch this.

LenNWallace
02-12-2008, 05:34 AM
did anyone read the book by Hubert Selby Jr.

The young doctor in the film, who seems very uncaring at the psych ward, is actually very sympathetic in the book.

He realizez that Sara isn't a nutbag, just strung out from the various medications she was taking. It is the unfeeling hospital administrators who decide to just give her shock therapy and get rid of her due to her financial situation and lack of immediate improvement.

The book also shed a bit more light on the relationship between Wayans character and his mother.

Hubert Selby Jr. is one of my all time favorite authors. His work is hard to get the hang of, because his prose and grammer styles are so unconventional that at first glance, you'd think an idiot was writing his books, but if you hunker down and actually read stuff like this and Last Exit To Brooklyn, you'll see that the guy was absolutely brilliant.

Drkemerld73
02-12-2008, 05:34 AM
I'd like to see an after school special where Jennifer Connelly goes ass to ass with another chick

*Sighs*

Jennifer Connelly :heart:

Joe Kalicki
02-12-2008, 05:45 AM
It was a lot better than The Fountain, that's for sure.

Brother Power the Gong
02-12-2008, 05:48 AM
It looked nice, but, at the end, it was a load of morality tale horseshit.

Brewtown Andy
02-12-2008, 06:09 AM
I agree. Real life generally comes with a glimmer of hope, but Requiem's pounding gloom was a touch too "Reefer Madness" for me. Almost propagandistic.requiem

noun
1. a song or hymn of mourning composed or performed as a memorial to a dead person [syn: dirge]
2. a musical setting for a Mass celebrating the dead
3. a Mass celebrated for the dead

Just saying. :D

If I ever become a Health teacher for whatever reason, I will totally petition for this movie to be shown in the classroom. Every kid should have to watch this.Good for you.

It was a lot better than The Fountain, that's for sure.:mad:

Masculine Todd
02-12-2008, 06:11 AM
doubt it, as the three books written by Selby all lacked them.

Last Exit to Brooklyn is brilliant...and incredibly somber. Much like anything his pen touches.

Generic Poster
02-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Glorified after school special.

I liked the evil fridge, though.

Jef UK
02-12-2008, 06:21 AM
Ass to ass!

The ending of this movie is perfect and hilarious.

The Ellen Burstyn storyline is haunting and heartbreaking.

Masculine Todd
02-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Ass to ass!

The ending of this movie is perfect and hilarious.

The Ellen Burstyn storyline is haunting and heartbreaking.

Absolutely.

The ending, in relation to the other protagonists, was a culmination of their own hedonism, addiction and greed. Burstyn's character was much more a victim of circumstance; a caring mother who had nothing left in her life except the possibility of being on television. Her arc is heart wrenching.

cweed4
02-12-2008, 06:55 AM
I really enjoyed this movie but will probably never see it again as well. Jennifer Connelly looked PHENOMENAL in this film!

Plus, it has one of the best lines ever- "I know it's pretty baby, but I didn't take it out for air." :rofl:

Run-BMC
02-12-2008, 07:23 AM
I dunno if it's still relevant or even readable once you're not a teenager anymore. There are books where he's an adult and has a bastard child and shit but those aren't as good as the earlier ones. They're a great book for teens though, especially teenage boys.

I bought the last two the past Christmas after remembering the first one which I read when I was 13 and 3/4 myself, and the second in college... definitely an acquired taste.

I know it sounds pretentious, but I've recommended it to a few people and none of them liked it. I don't think it's for people who grew up in America (I grew up in Hong Kong until I was 15 when it was still a British colony, and had a British education until my junior year in high school).

Run-BMC
02-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Ellen Burstyn should have gotten an Oscar for her monlogue alone. I can't watch that scene and not call my mom. The commentary says that there was a camera focusing problem in the scene, because the camera man couldn't see as his lens was fogged up because he was crying.

Rosemary's Baby
02-12-2008, 07:29 AM
I love this film. At no point did I feel like he was preaching. It's beautiful and Ellyn Burstyn is fantastic. I loved seeing Aronofsky bring her back for The Foutain.

charlie
02-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Yep. Best anti-drug movie ever. I will never watch it again, but it was well done.

Drkemerld73
02-12-2008, 07:31 AM
I loved seeing Aronofsky bring her back for The Foutain.

Even though she had such a small part in that, I found her role to be quite powerful.

Ashwin Pande
02-12-2008, 07:38 AM
I bought the last two the past Christmas after remembering the first one which I read when I was 13 and 3/4 myself, and the second in college... definitely an acquired taste.

I know it sounds pretentious, but I've recommended it to a few people and none of them liked it. I don't think it's for people who grew up in America (I grew up in Hong Kong until I was 15 when it was still a British colony, and had a British education until my junior year in high school).

Could be. Our school system and culture absorbed a lot of British culture because of the time we spent as a colony. I guess it makes it easier to relate to the character and what's happening to him.

Ashwin Pande
02-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Yep. Best anti-drug movie ever. I will never watch it again, but it was well done.

See that is one of the reasons I didn't think it was great. It became more of an anti-drug movie than a movie about addiction and loss. I think it did become propaganda in the way it was presented.

Rosemary's Baby
02-12-2008, 07:42 AM
See that is one of the reasons I didn't think it was great. It became more of an anti-drug movie than a movie about addiction and loss. I think it did become propaganda in the way it was presented.

I guess it depends on the viewer because I never felt that it was an anti-drug movie or really even trying to blatantly convey a message or a moral. I saw it more as a study of addiction and things just went downhill.

WillieLee
02-12-2008, 07:44 AM

Indeed. They should have put more effort into showing the upside of uncontrollable drug addiction.

The Hodag
02-12-2008, 10:39 AM
If I ever become a Health teacher for whatever reason, I will totally petition for this movie to be shown in the classroom. Every kid should have to watch this.

Downside: "ass to ass" becomes the school catchphrase for the rest of the year.

The Hodag
02-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Indeed. They should have put more effort into showing the upside of uncontrollable drug addiction.

For my own part, I'd have just preferred a little more nuance as opposed to four sledgehammer-delivery descents into the Inferno. From what was posted earlier, it sounds like the novel might be the place for that.

Capt. Canada
02-12-2008, 10:54 AM
I own in on DVD and I've watched it a couple times. I thought it was decent but Jennifer Connelly could've been naked more IMO, I'd've liked it better:)

Drkemerld73
02-12-2008, 11:26 AM

Can you imagine the parent-teacher conferences after that? :)

DaGetHighKnight
02-12-2008, 11:38 AM
My wife and I watched it again the other night and the next day she had her hair pulled back and the same makeup JC wore for the ass to ass, It was hot and she really looked like her...Score!

changingshades
02-12-2008, 11:53 AM

I do agree with this if not the rest

Marcdachamp
02-12-2008, 12:04 PM

God bless permission slips. :lol:

Besides, "ass to ass" isn't a terrible catch-phrase.