PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Gecko

tdaniel
02-11-2008, 07:25 AM
The link: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/11/BUTPUU7DH.DTL

The excerpt:
"A professor at UC Berkeley has invented a tape-like substance that has so much adhesive strength that a person clothed in such a sticky suit could conceivably scale a building like Spider-Man.

But instead of taking his cue from the spider, electrical engineer Ronald Fearing has based his invention on the same molecular trick that enables geckos to scoot across ceilings upside-down."

The picture:
http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2008/02/11/bu_spiderman1147kr.jpg

Tyeron
02-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Woohoo.. Gimme Some Of That!!

ZombieSpeedball
02-11-2008, 07:28 AM
I swear to God, the more people invent stuff like this, the more eager I am to see the world's first costumed superhero. And not the joke type, like crazy people who run around and help at fundraisers and shit. I mean the type that actually kick supervillain/pirate/nazi ass.

tdaniel
02-11-2008, 07:30 AM
I swear to God, the more people invent stuff like this, the more eager I am to see the world's first costumed superhero. And not the joke type, like crazy people who run around and help at fundraisers and shit. I mean the type that actually kick supervillain/pirate/nazi ass.

you've got to wonder, with steriods, HGH, and enough gadgetry like this...

Jef UK
02-11-2008, 07:32 AM
It's weird that this story keeps getting picked up. It's, what, 2 years old now?

The Dean
02-11-2008, 07:32 AM
But... do you only stick once? I mean, if it's strong enough to hold you to a building, is a person strong enough to pull yourself off?

Casali
02-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with fond memories of Major Bummer.

:lol:

Dreg
02-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Works for me. Mondo Gecko is about as cool as Spider-Man.

joespam
02-11-2008, 10:05 AM
But... do you only stick once? I mean, if it's strong enough to hold you to a building, is a person strong enough to pull yourself off?It works just like Gecko feet; multiple sticks. You have to put a very specific motion to remove it, otherwise it clings. It has to do with static electricity.