PDA

View Full Version : Young Avengers by Heinberg & Cheung

dEnny!
02-07-2008, 12:59 PM
You know, I bought the series, but I'm not sure I ever finished it. Since I love OHC so much and DCBS had it for 50% I thought, hey this'd be a good way to (re)read the story in its entirety and have a nice collection on the bookshelf.

I'm hoping it wows me as much as it did Loeb, who wrote a very nice introduction for the collection.

I've always been a fan of Cheung's since his days on X-Force and Maverick.

Well I just started it so it might be this weekend before I complete, but if anyone is trying the series for the first time because of the new OHC collection or just loved the series and want to discuss please offer up your thoughts, criticisms, and praise.

Jim.
02-07-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm planning on buying this despite owning all the singles. I love it to death.

LenNWallace
02-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Bought the OHC last week and ran it through in a couple hours. I read it in single issues when it first started, and this just bums me out that Heinberg is having to take his sweet time with the follow-up.

CPA
02-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Remember Cheung on the teenage Iron Man book?

That is some old school Jimmy Cheung, but his work has improved over that time. I really wish Young Avengers would have been continued after Cheung, but the new status quo in the Marvel Universe. I would love to see Patriot show up in Captain America and actually be his sidekick and show him the ropes.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
02-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Young Avengers was such a wonderful surprise of a book. On every level. I went and bought the hardcover too, just to have the whole thing on the bookshelf.
The funny thing about this series - remember the backlash, bitchin' & moanin' from fandom when Joe Quesada first announced the book?

"YOUNG Avengers?!? Teen Cap?!? ANOTHER unknown tv writer?!? Worst! Idea! Ever!"

Remember how it got even worse when the first group shot was released?

"They're all knock-off of the classic avengers! They're just cashing in on the kewl teen market! I bet they're all clones!"

And then the first issue came out - POOF! criticism gone!

jason hissong
02-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I read the first PHC at a Barnes and Noble once but it didn't do anyhting for me.

InBendiswetrust
02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Young Avengers being my first monthly was in a phrase 'Not what I thought' It's just so good and so interesting. I really wish they would get on making more soon.

TheKraken
02-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I was so taken off guard by Young Avengers. It immediately established itself in the Marvel U, used a lot of continuity without seeming like it required homework, introduced a bunch of new characters handily, and quickly started building to an epic story. It managed to read like a very modern comic with a very classic feel. And the art was just beautiful.

Xorn
02-07-2008, 02:13 PM
just recently came down to read this, wonderful book and run, hope there will be more. Why was heinberg even at the retreat , if season 2 isn't boudn to come out soon?

Matthew Brown
02-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Ordered this with Manhunter: Unleashed tpb off Amazon just today.

Can't wait! :D

Daryl Densmore
02-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Got it in the mail today along with House of M and New Avengers v1. Loving these oversized hardcovers.

R0cketFr0g
02-07-2008, 02:24 PM
If you learn to leave your penis alone, I discovered, your penis will learn to leave you alone.

nick maynard
02-07-2008, 02:26 PM
man, no one hated the idea of this book more than me. i thought it was going to be like those johnny dc books or muppet babies, like "imagine if hulk and cap met when they were TEENAGERS!"

but, i have to say, this book shows up in my top 5 lists for best writer, best artist, best team, best villan, best story, best everything. i love this book.

changingshades
02-07-2008, 02:32 PM
It is as good a series as the name is stupid.

I was amazed at how good it was.

Vonn Hennigar
02-07-2008, 02:32 PM
man, no one hated the idea of this book more than me. i thought it was going to be like those johnny dc books or muppet babies, like "imagine if hulk and cap met when they were TEENAGERS!"

but, i have to say, this book shows up in my top 5 lists for best writer, best artist, best team, best villan, best story, best everything. i love this book.

I almost vomited when i heard about this book that's how much i hated it sight unseen.

That preview promo page showing a kid Hulk,Cap,Iron Man and Thor actually drove me to kill a homeless person. I stayed away from any other preview or news prior to the book launching for fear of driving myself to climb a clock tower.

Then i read the first issue and to this day, i've never been more shocked at anything i've read. I absolutely adored it and when Iron Lad unmasked i think i actually came!

This is genuinely one of the greatest comic achievements of the decade and i wait with bated breath for Volume 2 no matter how long it takes.

Akira
02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
My OHC just came today. I can't wait to start re-reading it.

The Human Target
02-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Young Avengers was such a wonderful surprise of a book. On every level. I went and bought the hardcover too, just to have the whole thing on the bookshelf.
The funny thing about this series - remember the backlash, bitchin' & moanin' from fandom when Joe Quesada first announced the book?

"YOUNG Avengers?!? Teen Cap?!? ANOTHER unknown tv writer?!? Worst! Idea! Ever!"

Remember how it got even worse when the first group shot was released?

"They're all knock-off of the classic avengers! They're just cashing in on the kewl teen market! I bet they're all clones!"

And then the first issue came out - POOF! criticism gone!

My reaction was the opposite.

Loved the premise and previews, didn't like the execution of the comic.

Damned pretty art though.

BAMF
02-07-2008, 03:41 PM
I just recently read Young Avengers, and I was also pleasantly surprised with it. One question though, can anyone tell me how Wiccan and Speed can be the reincarnated children of Scarlet Witch if her twins were born after Pietro's Luna? Isn't Luna still a child?

Len Ford
02-07-2008, 04:10 PM
I have all the issues but picked this up anyway. I really love this series. I reread everything last weekend and the bonus material. I'm glad that they reworked some of what was originally planned (especially the characters name changes).

There are a couple of things that I was reminded of when I reread. I really like Patriot's original costume in this series and wish that he'd go back to wearing it. The full mask makes more sense for concealing his identity (especially since he is unregistered) and the jacket looks better than what he wears now.
Spoiler for issue #1, if you haven't read it:
Also, I really like Iron Lad/Young Kang's character and wish that there was a way that he could comeback and be able to stick around.

nick maynard
02-08-2008, 01:46 AM
I almost vomited when i heard about this book that's how much i hated it sight unseen.

That preview promo page showing a kid Hulk,Cap,Iron Man and Thor actually drove me to kill a homeless person. I stayed away from any other preview or news prior to the book launching for fear of driving myself to climb a clock tower.

Then i read the first issue and to this day, i've never been more shocked at anything i've read. I absolutely adored it and when Iron Lad unmasked i think i actually came!

This is genuinely one of the greatest comic achievements of the decade and i wait with bated breath for Volume 2 no matter how long it takes.

i feel exactly the same.

the teen hulk with multiple earrings made me super mad when i saw it.

dEnny!
02-08-2008, 05:58 AM
I was so taken off guard by Young Avengers. It immediately established itself in the Marvel U, used a lot of continuity without seeming like it required homework, introduced a bunch of new characters handily, and quickly started building to an epic story. It managed to read like a very modern comic with a very classic feel. And the art was just beautiful.

I have to agree with you.

dEnny!
02-08-2008, 06:02 AM
So I am 8 issues in and I'm really enjoying this series. I had indeed not read this far with my issues...man I'm sad.

I'm not a big fan of time travel, though Busiek was able to get me on board with his Avengers Forever 12 issue series and Heinberg does a great job using him in this story, but he made Iron Lad so freaking likable, that I wish he hadn't made him Kang, but someone else so that he could stick around, but then that changes the story entirely as so much was based on this bit of information. That's good storytelling.

And he continues by building up these characters, their motivations, creating a foundation and supporting characters...excellent job.

I really dug him using a heavily promoted, but completely overlooked story THE TRUTH by Kyle Baker that "altered' continuity or maybe provided more texture and depth to Marvel Continuity, building from it and bringing us a new super soldier. And then Heinberg throws us a curve ball about Patriot; I'm on the edge of my seat wondering how he continues on as a super hero with the revelation from issue 8.

dj127
02-08-2008, 06:40 AM
loved Young Avengers! LOVED IT!

ThisSpaceForRent
02-08-2008, 06:45 AM
I really want an ongoing for these guys...remember how stoked Quesada was about Young Avengers before and just after its release? He was totally right.

dEnny!
02-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Just finished it and WOW! Heinberg did a great job tying everything into Marvel continuity, but still making it fresh and exciting and leaving the reader wanting more.

Cheung's art is GORGEOUS! Man he's talented.

Princesa
02-09-2008, 06:25 AM
The impact of YA's is we all still talk about it, we all still miss it and we all would jump on it if it came back tomorrow.

Arion
02-09-2008, 06:50 AM
I was amazed at how good it was.

At first I didn't pay attention to it, but then I heard people talking about it and I bought the 12 issues and the special. It was very good.

dEnny!
02-09-2008, 07:21 AM
The impact of YA's is we all still talk about it, we all still miss it and we all would jump on it if it came back tomorrow.

It is a very important title and I think it's a shame it couldn't be more consistently produced. This book could easily capitalize off of the current Secret Invasion storyline and play an integral role in it.

irate snowman
02-09-2008, 09:56 AM
i loved this series as it came out, however i don't think the second half was as good as the 1st was. the last 4 issues almost felt a little rushed..

i really liked the special as well, they got an excellent group of artist's together for it - especially Jae Lee doing the Wiccan - Scarlet Witch section

for those who have the OHC - what are the extra's included? i have the director's cut of #1, is it only that content repeated? just wondering if there's enough to justify buying it again...

Masculine Todd
02-09-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm planning on buying this despite owning all the singles. I love it to death.

I own all the singles as well and still bought the OHC. It's a great package and an awesome story.

I'll be giving the issues away on the b-board soon.

Roman Noodles
02-09-2008, 10:01 AM
One of the best new series' Marvel has put out in a long time.

andrew french
02-09-2008, 10:14 AM
i was really enjoying this book for a while, but wasn't it delayed for a long time? As I was dropping a lot of books, I didn't really see any more issues, so I sort of forgot about it. I really liked what I read though. It was fun.

S. Earl
02-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Issue 12 has some of the finest panel layouts I have ever seen

Michael John Wheeler
02-09-2008, 10:55 AM
It's one of my all-time favourites.

Brandon191
02-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I bought the HC as well as all the singles. I miss the series a lot.

dEnny!
02-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Issue 12 has some of the finest panel layouts I have ever seen

Totally agree. Cheung did an amazing job with an awesome fight splash, with panels allowing for dialogue.

Great stuff!

dEnny!
02-09-2008, 12:00 PM
i was really enjoying this book for a while, but wasn't it delayed for a long time? As I was dropping a lot of books, I didn't really see any more issues, so I sort of forgot about it. I really liked what I read though. It was fun.

That was one of the things I felt hurt this title. It could have easily been one of the most important Marvel titles of the year had it been on time and continued to capitalize on Civil War and the Secret Invasion.

Still going to be one of the big titles for Marvel that hopefully will continue to be noticed with the new HC.

dEnny!
02-09-2008, 12:01 PM
i loved this series as it came out, however i don't think the second half was as good as the 1st was. the last 4 issues almost felt a little rushed..

i really liked the special as well, they got an excellent group of artist's together for it - especially Jae Lee doing the Wiccan - Scarlet Witch section

for those who have the OHC - what are the extra's included? i have the director's cut of #1, is it only that content repeated? just wondering if there's enough to justify buying it again...

Extras included an interview with Heinberg by Quesada and Silver Bullet comics, the series pitch, script of the first issue (at least part of it), unused covers, and sketches by Cheung.

IPeacock
02-09-2008, 12:04 PM
You know, I bought the series, but I'm not sure I ever finished it. Since I love OHC so much and DCBS had it for 50% I thought, hey this'd be a good way to (re)read the story in its entirety and have a nice collection on the bookshelf.

What is the DCBS? I only buy the hardcovers and 50% off would make doing that easier.

Rod Nunley
02-09-2008, 12:36 PM
What is the DCBS? I only buy the hardcovers and 50% off would make doing that easier.

www.dcbservice.com

Discount books. Awesome site.

Marcdachamp
02-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Amazing series. Heinberg and Cheung did more with their creations in 12 issues than most teams do in 3 times that. In just one year, you really see the characters grow. As someone that wants to write comics eventually, I am simply awed by the amount of skill and talent that shines through in this series.

dEnny!
02-14-2008, 07:12 PM

I HIGHLY recommend Discount Comic Book Service. They are great. Friendly, amazing customer service, outstanding deals...I'm saving SOOO much money. Okay, I'm spending the same, but I'm getting SOOOOO many more books.

All my friends have switched over.

I do the once a month shipping (now a flat rate of $5.95!) because I'm so far behind on my reading it really isn't an issue.

Mike_Johnson
02-14-2008, 07:13 PM
I got the whole series for 10 bucks on ebay about a year ago. Best 10 dollars I ever spent.

Jonathan Callan
02-14-2008, 07:43 PM
It's funny. It took me a second look to appreciate this book, now I think it's one of the best things Marvel's done in years.

Arion
02-15-2008, 05:59 AM
www.dcbservice.com

Discount books. Awesome site.

Indeed. I love discounts.

Arion
02-17-2008, 04:46 PM
It's funny. It took me a second look to appreciate this book, now I think it's one of the best things Marvel's done in years.

I'm a big fan of Young Avengers .