PDA

View Full Version : What is a good trade for legal free music downloads?

Thudpucker
01-28-2008, 12:48 PM
There are companies like this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7213112.stm

that are trying to set up free legal download sites for millions of songs from major labels. They say they will get the liscensing fees back from ad revenue.

Do you think that's a good trade? Or would you resent the spyware and pop-ups and do everything you could to take the music for free anyway and screw them out of thier ad revenue?

Jef UK
01-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Online advertisement doesn't have to equal spyware and pop-ups.

changingshades
01-28-2008, 01:01 PM
I'd be okay with this, but the music companies are really bad about trying anything new

ClintP
01-28-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't really care that much about new music to actually go out and download it if it were free. I'll just buy a new Weird Al every five years or so. :)

Thudpucker
01-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Online advertisement doesn't have to equal spyware and pop-ups.

True. Would you voluntarily click on ads just to support that site?

Jef UK
01-28-2008, 01:28 PM
True. Would you voluntarily click on ads just to support that site?

No. But I see ads all the time on the internet that aren't pop-ups. Everywhere all the time. I think you're making a false distinction. Facebook, MySpace, Newsarama, and Google Ads are all examples of big to giant websites that utilize ad revenue, but don't utilize pop-ups, spy-ware, or some need to click on ads to be able to view them. It could just be a matter of, "wait and watch this ad while the whatever downloads," like whenever you watch television online. See: NBC.com, CollegeHumor.com, etc., etc., etc.