PDA

View Full Version : Modest Mouse and the National to open for REM

JoeE
01-28-2008, 08:34 AM
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/48305-modest-mouse-the-national-to-open-rem-tour

The April 1 release of R.E.M.'s Accelerate is only getting closer, and appropriately, word of a tour in its support has wasted no time in reaching the Pitchfork News desk. Of course, a new R.E.M. tour is exciting in and of itself, but it turns out we have even more to look forward to than originally expected.

The opening acts on the tour will be Modest Mouse and the National, according to a Billboard.com report confirmed by representatives of R.E.M. and Modest Mouse. What a triple bill!

The exact dates of the tour have yet to be announced, but until they do, we can content ourselves with the current schedules of R.E.M. and the National, both of whom have a few separate headlining and festival shows.

R.E.M.:

03-08 Big Cypress, FL - Big Cypress Indian Reservation (Langerado Festival)
03-12 Austin, TX - Stubb's Bar-B-Q (SXSW)

The National:

02-22 Brooklyn, NY - BAM Opera House !
02-23 Brooklyn, NY - BAM Opera House !
03-09 Big Cypress, FL - Big Cypress Indian Reservation (Langerado Festival)
04-25 Indio, CA - Empire Polo Field (Coachella)
05-14 Dublin, Ireland - Olympia Theatre
05-15 Dublin, Ireland - Olympia Theatre
05-16-18 Minehead, England - Butlins Holiday Centre (Explosions in the Sky ATP)

Jesus Christ, that's a great bill.

Albert
01-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Hope R.E.M. comes back here for the first time in 12 years!

Roger
01-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Modest Mouse and the National

never heard of them.
but i am looking forward to the new REM cd.

Jef UK
01-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Wow, BAM is such a relatively small venue! I love BAM!

ThisSpaceForRent
01-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Great bill.

Other than that Pitchfork blurb, no details about the BAM shows. Not on their site or remhq.com

Nick Spencer
01-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Great bill.

Other than that Pitchfork blurb, no details about the BAM shows. Not on their site or remhq.com

The BAM show is The National only.

The REM/MM/National tour dates haven't been announced yet.

Ryan F
01-28-2008, 09:17 AM
That's a fucking awesome bill! Thanks. I'll have to keep my eyes open for tour dates.

ThisSpaceForRent
01-28-2008, 09:37 AM
The BAM show is The National only.

The REM/MM/National tour dates haven't been announced yet.

Oh - read that way too fast in excitement.
Thanks!

Eric Williams
01-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Oh, man.

How I wish they were playing within 5 hours of Ottawa. :(

Adrian B AWESOME
01-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Wow, what a bill! I'm sold.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
01-28-2008, 06:35 PM
I'd go to the show if they play here, just for The National and Modest Mouse alone.

King of Mars
01-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Modest Mouse is going to go over like a moist fart in those sheds they're playing this Summer. Cool that REM is gonna be touring again, but I wish they hadn't picked such a lame, alterna-hip band to open for them. Woulda been nice if they'd picked a band like Dino Jr. or Grinderman to add some sonic bombast to the tour.

ThisSpaceForRent
02-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Modest Mouse is going to go over like a moist fart in those sheds they're playing this Summer. Cool that REM is gonna be touring again, but I wish they hadn't picked such a lame, alterna-hip band to open for them. Woulda been nice if they'd picked a band like Dino Jr. or Grinderman to add some sonic bombast to the tour.

I'm not a fan of Modest Mouse (saw them over the summer), but The National will be a great opener!

BTW - some more dates have been announced on REM's site:

May

23--Vancouver--Deer Lake Park
29--Los Angeles--Hollywood Bowl
31--Berkeley--The Greek Theatre

June

03--Denver--Red Rocks Amphitheatre
06--Chicago--United Center
08--Toronto--Molson Amphitheatre
10--Raleigh--Walnut Creek Amphitheatre
11--Washington, DC--Merriweather Post Pavilion
13--Boston--Tweeter Center for the Performing Arts (yay!)
14--Long Island--Jones Beach Theater
18--Philadelphia--Mann Center for the Performing Arts
19--New York City--TBA
21--Atlanta--Lakewood Amphitheatre

Nick Spencer
02-06-2008, 06:46 PM

:roll:

King of Mars
02-06-2008, 06:55 PM
:roll:So...you like Modest Mouse, hunh? Why am I not surprised? You're a heaping pile of lame, spencer. Lame!

;)

Nick Spencer
02-06-2008, 06:56 PM
So...you like Modest Mouse, hunh? Why am I not surprised? You're a heaping pile of lame, spencer. Lame!

;)

Again, :roll:

ThisSpaceForRent
02-07-2008, 06:10 AM
So...you like Modest Mouse, hunh? Why am I not surprised? You're a heaping pile of lame, spencer. Lame!

;)

As long as Modest Mouse is on first, I'm fine with it. I'll get there in time for the National.

Nick Spencer
02-07-2008, 06:25 AM
As long as Modest Mouse is on first, I'm fine with it. I'll get there in time for the National.

That won't be the order.

ThisSpaceForRent
02-07-2008, 06:38 AM
That won't be the order.

Oh well. I'll go for a walk and get a beer. Their set this past summer was really, really boring.