PDA

View Full Version : Proactive or Reactive?

Alexander Hamilton
01-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Which characters are definitely written (or should be) as proactive, and take the fight to the enemy, and which characters should be reactive, responding to what happens around them?

Proactive:
Batman- always watching, and thinking about how to stop crime, hopefully before it happens
Spider man- feels its his responsibility to help others
Green Arrow- socially driven, has as a strong sense of needing to change the world for the better
Iron Man- a futurist and obviously pro-active as of late

Reactive:
Superman- responds to threats to those around him
X-Men- always having to defend themselves against those that hate and fear them
Hulk- constantly hunted down by people that want research or end him as threat.
Fantastic Four- Reed's wacky experiments and research causing all sorts of hollabaloo.

Jerome Gibbons
01-26-2008, 07:28 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ee/Force_Works_no_1.jpg

Ray G.
01-26-2008, 07:34 PM
How the fuck did they get away with charging $3.95 for a comic in 1995?

juampi
01-26-2008, 07:35 PM
What's up with that cover? it looks...patched

Jerome Gibbons
01-26-2008, 07:35 PM

Some sort of super special collector's edition cover or trading cards, most likely.

Blandy vs Terrorism
01-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Some sort of super special collector's edition cover or trading cards, most likely.

Yeah. It was the 90's. They came up with all kinds of reasons to charge you more for a cover. And in the long run, they DIDN'T get away with it.

Lord Jermaine Retail
01-26-2008, 07:55 PM
I tend to agree with the first post and think that this is a good topic.

I think that Iron Man used to be pretty reactive rather than pro-active. He was usually fending off attacks (as a bodyguard for Stark) rather than being pro-active to curtail threats. That wasn't what he was there for. But that's changed. I think the change is made possible by the change in status quo as far as Iron Man being Stark's employee rather than being known to be the man himself like today.

Not sure about the FF though. They don't really go looking for trouble so to speak, but they don't really fend off general attacks on the regular either to the point I could say that's what they do.

The X-men definitely fend off personal (for being mutants) attacks or involve themselves in matters dealing with mutants.

Is it possible for the reactive heroes to become proactive for a fresh new take or do they lose something in the transition? Is it possible for a character that has been established to be proactive in their methods to become reactive instead and still be interesting?

Jerome Gibbons
01-26-2008, 08:00 PM
It would seem Iron Man has been becoming more 'proactive' during the last fifteen years or so. Force Works was supposed to be a more aggressive version of the Avengers that stopped threats before they occurred or escalated.

juampi
01-26-2008, 08:23 PM
I just remebered Century, where is he now? Not that I care, just curious...

To think he already has an animated version, go figure...

/(. . )/
01-26-2008, 08:49 PM

it appears that the cover opens to reveal an inner image

Maestro
01-26-2008, 08:53 PM
X-Men and specifically X-Force are becoming more proactive now.