PDA

View Full Version : One More Reason to Hate BET... (The Boondocks)

Nick Spencer
01-26-2008, 06:30 PM
We're now short two BOONDOCKS episodes due to these sick fucks.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=144566

glk
01-26-2008, 06:32 PM

That's way lame.

Benel Germosen
01-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Laaaame

niceguyeddie
01-26-2008, 06:35 PM
is boondocks any good???
it's not like aqua teen hunger force is it?? i've never seen either shows, but i just don't even want to try aqua. i'm not saying anything bad against it. i just don't really care for giving it a shot.

Raphael J
01-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Let's go on a hunger strike! We won't eat until Reggie Hudlin is kicked off of Black Panther and they replace him with Aaron McGruder!

Nick Spencer
01-26-2008, 06:36 PM
is boondocks any good???

:scared:

Somebody doesn't watch THE BOONDOCKS?!!

Seriously. Probably my favorite show.

Nick Spencer
01-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Let's go on a hunger strike! We won't eat until Reggie Hudlin is kicked off of Black Panther and they replace him with Aaron McGruder!

You joke, but Aaron McGruder on Black Panther would be the greatest thing to happen to comics ever.

PimpSlapStick!
01-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Ah that is some ol' bull shit.

I'm droppin' Black panther, wait I already did.

I'm boycotting BET and Reggie Hudlin.

Raphael J
01-26-2008, 06:39 PM
You joke, but Aaron McGruder on Black Panther would be the greatest thing to happen to comics ever.

I do joke, but if McGruder was allowed carte blanche to handle the Black Panther in a Knights setting, it could be one of the better books of the decade.

PimpSlapStick!
01-26-2008, 06:39 PM

Oh yes, dude that is a great idea (Not the hunger strike part fuck that and fuck you I'm eating.)

Other than that that would be pretty cool

8-)

Blandy vs Terrorism
01-26-2008, 06:40 PM
is boondocks any good???
it's not like aqua teen hunger force is it?? i've never seen either shows, but i just don't even want to try aqua. i'm not saying anything bad against it. i just don't really care for giving it a shot.

Is this the first you've ever heard of Boondocks?

No, it's nothing like ATHF. I like both a lot (well the comic strip for Boondocks...haven't seen much of the show yet), but they're both very good for different reasons.

Blandy vs Terrorism
01-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Oh yes, dude that is a great idea (Not the hunger strike part fuck that and fuck you I'm eating.)

Other than that that would be pretty cool

8-)

I like you more with just about every post.

Nick Spencer
01-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Boondocks also has the best animation of any American cartoon on television.

jess
01-26-2008, 06:42 PM
fucking censorship. people get so butthurt about everything nowadays...

Blandy vs Terrorism
01-26-2008, 06:42 PM

Damn nappy headed hos..... :mad:

MagicGamer
01-26-2008, 06:43 PM
God, I hate Hudlin. If they fired him from Black Panther he'd call them racist :(

Raphael J
01-26-2008, 06:43 PM

Saying "butthurt" in a thread that Blandy's posted in is asking for trouble.

jess
01-26-2008, 06:44 PM

i'm scared too, and awaiting your lynchmob... ;)

jess
01-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Saying "butthurt" in a thread that Blandy's posted in is asking for trouble.

this can't end well, can it? :lol:

Nick Spencer
01-26-2008, 06:45 PM
I actually really want John Ridley to do a run on Black Panther someday.

PimpSlapStick!
I like you more with just about every post.

and I you

8-)

Benel Germosen
Yes on McGrudger getting carte blanche on Black Panther.

Yes on watching a large portion of fandom explode if that happens.

PimpSlapStick!
01-26-2008, 06:47 PM

Where?

Take yo' eye off a bitch for one minute and they think they can.....

Blandy vs Terrorism
01-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Yes on McGrudger getting carte blanche on Black Panther.

Yes on watching a large portion of fandom explode if that happens.

I agree. Plus, it might bring over his newspaper and TV audience, and we might get a well-written BP comic that people will actually read this time.

Benel Germosen
01-26-2008, 06:49 PM
I agree. Plus, it might bring over his newspaper and TV audience, and we might get a well-written BP comic that people will actually read this time.

And, of course, racist fanboys head 'sploding.

I'm more in it for head-'sploding.

The Zevad
01-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Black Panther is still being published?! Really?

Nick Spencer

Yeah, this would be the best part of him or Ridley getting hold of the book. That's an envelope that needs some pushing.

Blandy vs Terrorism

That'd be fun, too.

PimpSlapStick!
01-26-2008, 06:53 PM

TRUTH nearly did that a few years ago, I never got so many mean muggin' walking into a comicshop.

Donal DeLay
01-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Adult Swim is on Cartoon Network, right?

Is Adult Swim run by BET or something? Why is it special that these episodes be pulled for making fun of a specific person, or channel when it's never been pulled before?

I mean, the show's decent, but it's not like they're breaking ground or are overly controversial. They're certainly not as antagonistic as South Park and I've never heard of Comedy Central pulling an episode of SP for being too controversial.

Justin.Strange
01-26-2008, 07:03 PM
“Hunger Strike” takes even broader strokes at the Black Entertainment Television, implying its true goal is to destroy and/or diminish African-American culture, exemplifying what Chuck D’s statement that the networks letters really stand for the “booty ‘en thugs” network

Hilarious because it's true. BET does nothing but perpetuate a negative stereotype, then try whine about that cliché in pseudo self-righteousness.

10pm - What up my nigga?!

10:03pm - We as black men need to stop using that word!

10:05pm - Werd son. I made it rain and superman'd dat ho.

10:07pm - We need to respect our black women and treat them like queens!!

and etc and soforth...

PimpSlapStick!
01-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Tom Cruise Scientology episode

PimpSlapStick!
01-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Hilarious because it's true. BET does nothing but perpetuate a negative stereotype, then try whine about that cliché in pseudo self-righteousness.

10pm - What up my nigga?!

10:03pm - We as black men need to stop using that word!

10:05pm - Werd son. I made it rain and superman'd dat ho.

10:07pm - We need to respect our black women and treat them like queens!!

and etc and soforth...

Bi-polar entertainment television

Benel Germosen
01-26-2008, 07:05 PM
TRUTH nearly did that a few years ago, I never got so many mean muggin' walking into a comicshop.

Don't fuck with people's Captain America.

I'm surprise they're weren't riots when they came out with that Spider-Man what-if book making Peter Parker indian.

Nick Spencer
01-26-2008, 07:05 PM

Is Adult Swim run by BET or something? Why is it special that these episodes be pulled for making fun of a specific person, or channel when it's never been pulled before?

I mean, the show's decent, but it's not like they're breaking ground or are overly controversial. They're certainly not as antagonistic as South Park and I've never heard of Comedy Central pulling an episode of SP for being too controversial.

Uh... I dunno, dude.. I think Boondocks has certainly reached South Park level controversy on a few occasions. The MLK episode comes to mind...

niceguyeddie
01-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Is this the first you've ever heard of Boondocks?

No, it's nothing like ATHF. I like both a lot (well the comic strip for Boondocks...haven't seen much of the show yet), but they're both very good for different reasons.

i've seen images and heard mention of the show but never seen anything of it.

Blandy vs Terrorism
01-26-2008, 07:06 PM

Tom Cruise Scientology episode

Yep.

Greenville 90210
01-26-2008, 07:08 PM
is boondocks any good???

Half the people will say its great, the other half will hate it. Like anything on the internet. Watch it for yourself.

PimpSlapStick!
01-26-2008, 07:09 PM

I'm surprise they're weren't riots when they came out with that Spider-Man what-if book making Peter Parker indian.

Bah-Humbug

Truth added some very rich layers to Cap's history, plus come on we know the government did shit like that back in the day, so it only makes sense to use black troops as guinee pigs.

Kirblar
01-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Fuck those humorless pricks.

PimpSlapStick!
01-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Uh... I dunno, dude.. I think Boondocks has certainly reached South Park level controversy on a few occasions. The MLK episode comes to mind...

That is the only episode that I kinda cringed at.

Greenville 90210
01-26-2008, 07:10 PM
The Boondocks episode with the Katrina-like evacuees was the best portrayal of new orleans people EVER.

Riley: New Orleans niggas is grimy!

PimpSlapStick!
01-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Alright I'm out later

BITCHES

Wastrel
01-26-2008, 07:13 PM
plus come on we know the government did shit like that back in the day, so it only makes sense to use black troops as guinee pigs.
not really. there is a big difference between a racist gov. program doing experiments on black men in which the best case scenario will be they survive and a racist gov. conducting experiments that best case scenario will result in a supersoldier.

Blandy vs Terrorism
01-26-2008, 07:17 PM

Yeah. I saw the trade the other day, and I'm thinking of getting it. Anyone read it? (the Spidey book I mean)

Blandy vs Terrorism
01-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Bah-Humbug

Truth added some very rich layers to Cap's history, plus come on we know the government did shit like that back in the day, so it only makes sense to use black troops as guinee pigs.

You are correct, sir. And some sweet Kyle Baker art, too.

Nick Spencer
01-26-2008, 07:22 PM
The Boondocks episode with the Katrina-like evacuees was the best portrayal of new orleans people EVER.

Riley: New Orleans niggas is grimy!

I loved how anytime anything came close to remotely happening, they played When The Saints Come Marching In... made me laugh every fucking time.

Jerome Gibbons
01-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah. I saw the trade the other day, and I'm thinking of getting it. Anyone read it? (the Spidey book I mean)

Spider-Man: India? I understand it horribly stereotypes India, its culture and its people.

lonesomefool
01-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Black Panther is still being published?! Really?

Yeah, but not for long. It's sales are shit, thankfully.

Servo106
01-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Considering I caught The Wire the first time on BET then later on Netflix I don't need any more reasons to hate it.

The Hodag
01-26-2008, 09:57 PM

Well, not quite a What If. I believe those issues were just English adaptations of the actual Indian Spider-Man comic that was just coming out then.

I remember buying a few issues hoping it'd be an awesome, manga-esque glimpse of a very different culture, but mostly it was a sucky Ultimate Spider-Man knock-off with some token Indian locales but no distinct voice.

The Hodag
01-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Caveat: I don't know a lot about McGruder and I don't have cable so I've never seen Boondocks.

Question: for those jazzed over the notion of McGruder on Black Panther: has he done any dramatic writing before? I'd be a little nervous about a humorist taking on a superhero book.

The Hodag
01-26-2008, 10:14 PM
not really. there is a big difference between a racist gov. program doing experiments on black men in which the best case scenario will be they survive and a racist gov. conducting experiments that best case scenario will result in a supersoldier.

Yeah, I always saw this as a fairly massive logic problem in the series.

"Hi, we're the racist white goverment of the 1940s. We think of blacks as cattle. Oops, we accidentally made one into the ultimate warrior."

Then again, I'm also not wild about the basic premise of adding a tarnish to Cap's origin for the simple reason that I prefer the super-soldier program to be, like Cap, a symbol of America at its best during wartime.

I will say that I found the writing on Truth to be good - occasionally really inspired - and I think Patriot's a pretty strong character, but I wish Cap's origin had stayed simple, upbeat and iconic.

Nick Spencer
01-26-2008, 10:17 PM

"Hi, we're the racist white goverment of the 1940s. We think of blacks as cattle. Oops, we accidentally made one into the ultimate warrior."

Then again, I'm also not wild about the basic premise of adding a tarnish to Cap's origin for the simple reason that I prefer the super-soldier program to be, like Cap, a symbol of America at its best during wartime.

I will say that I found the writing on Truth to be good - occasionally really inspired - and I think Patriot's a pretty strong character, but I wish Cap's origin had stayed simple, upbeat and iconic.

But we weren't. While there's a lot for us to feel good about when it comes to WWII, its a reality of the time that the military treated black people like shit.

LenNWallace
01-26-2008, 10:21 PM

I'd read the fuck out of it.

The Hodag
01-26-2008, 10:29 PM
But we weren't. While there's a lot for us to feel good about when it comes to WWII, its a reality of the time that the military treated black people like shit.

All I'm saying it that I prefer Cap's origin to represent the bolded aspect of what you wrote. Race needn't enter into Cap's origin at all.*

*As an aside, I remember an early 90s miniseries called Sentinel of Liberty (I think) that retold Cap's origin and did feature a black candidate among the super-soldier program. If memory serves, he was more naturally suited for the role and Steve thought he was gonna be the one to win, but I believe one of the other candidates (some racist SOB) injured the guy's leg or something, effectively disqualifying him. I prefer that over the Truth story, because its duplicity is limited to an individual and doesn't tarnish the program itself.

Jerome Gibbons
01-26-2008, 10:30 PM

What's the logic problem with that?

The Hodag
01-26-2008, 10:32 PM
What's the logic problem with that?

It's hard to see the government risking turning a discriminated minority into a powerhouse potentially capable of dangerous retaliation.

Jerome Gibbons
01-26-2008, 10:39 PM
It's hard to see the government risking turning a discriminated minority into a powerhouse potentially capable of dangerous retaliation.

The reason they used black people is because the process they were using to turn people into super soldiers was extremely dangerous and grueling and the subject was much more likely to die than survive AND successfully assimilate the super soldier serum in its entirety without any health risks. It seems perfectly sensible to me that the government would use what they consider to be "lesser" people as guinea pigs before opening up the process to all soldiers and combatants.

Nick Spencer
01-26-2008, 10:40 PM
All I'm saying it that I prefer Cap's origin to represent the bolded aspect of what you wrote. Race needn't enter into Cap's origin at all.*

*As an aside, I remember an early 90s miniseries called Sentinel of Liberty (I think) that retold Cap's origin and did feature a black candidate among the super-soldier program. If memory serves, he was more naturally suited for the role and Steve thought he was gonna be the one to win, but I believe one of the other candidates (some racist SOB) injured the guy's leg or something, effectively disqualifying him. I prefer that over the Truth story, because its duplicity is limited to an individual and doesn't tarnish the program itself.

What a mightily convenient way of thinking you've crafted for yourself.

The Hodag
01-26-2008, 10:46 PM
The reason they used black people is because the process they were using to turn people into super soldiers was extremely dangerous and grueling and the subject was much more likely to die than survive AND successfully assimilate the super soldier serum in its entirety without any health risks. It seems perfectly sensible to me that the government would use what they consider to be "lesser" people as guinea pigs before opening up the process to all soldiers and combatants.

I honestly think they'd still have used white soldiers rather than risk a black superhuman.

Greenville 90210
01-26-2008, 10:47 PM
I honestly think they'd still have used white soldiers rather than risk a black superhuman.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

The Hodag
01-26-2008, 10:56 PM
What a mightily convenient way of thinking you've crafted for yourself.

Are you implying I somehow don't understand that America treated blacks horribly? Do you understand that what I'm saying stems exclusively from a preference for a superhero's origin to remain heroic and not tarnished? Cap's stories have plenty of room to address America's flaws without actually being rooted in them.

Truth is an interesting story. So's the notion that Jor-El actually rocketed his son to earth intending him to conquer it. So's the revelation that Uncle Ben used to beat Aunt May. All interesting, but I prefer my superhero origins not accumulate such dramatic tarnish.

The Hodag
01-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Why the asshole attitude?

Jerome Gibbons
01-26-2008, 10:59 PM
But Truth didn't come until after Cap's origin. Cap was created in 1940. The experiment that created the black Captain America was in 1942. Cap was already up and about by then.

VitoDGK
01-26-2008, 11:04 PM
How is Cap's origin tarnished?

The Hodag
01-26-2008, 11:07 PM
But Truth didn't come until after Cap's origin. Cap was created in 1940. The experiment that created the black Captain America was in 1942. Cap was already up and about by then.

Is that right? I only read Truth once, but I thought the deal was essentially that the black troops were test subjects to perfect the formula that Rogers would eventually get. If Cap had already been created, where'd the formula come from to experiment on Isaiah and company?

The Hodag
01-26-2008, 11:10 PM

Well, if what Jimmy just posted is accurate, maybe it's not. I was remembering that Isaiah and the other guys in his company were test subjects to perfect the formula that would one day be used on Cap, but maybe that's not the case. If it were, though, it'd mean that Cap's "powers" essentially came about as the end result of torturous, racist experimentation - which kinda sucks.

Jerome Gibbons
01-26-2008, 11:11 PM
I would say, personally, that if there's anything that'd shine a less than positive and optimistic light on Cap's history, it's probably the stuff Brubaker has worked into the Cap mythos in the current volume. All that stuff about Cap and Bucky being government operatives and Bucky being a trained as an assassin who was assigned to Cap as a partner to do the stuff Cap couldn't do, etc. It really goes against the original comics from the forties, where Cap was more of a typical superhero instead of a government agent and Bucky was just a kid who hung around army bases and accidentally discovered Cap's secret identity of 'clumsy' private Steve Rogers, and in exchange for keeping the secret was allowed to be Cap's sidekick. Bru's version of the story is much grittier and more realistic.

Benel Germosen
01-26-2008, 11:11 PM

By being surrounded by morally questionable and highly dubious circumstances.

God forbid anyone takes a superhero comic seriously by adding shades of gray.

The Hodag
01-26-2008, 11:14 PM
I would say, personally, that if there's anything that'd shine a less than positive and optimistic light on Cap's history, it's probably the stuff Brubaker has worked into the Cap mythos in the current volume. All that stuff about Cap and Bucky being government operatives and Bucky being a trained as an assassin who was assigned to Cap as a partner to do the stuff Cap couldn't do, etc. It really goes against the original comics from the forties, where Cap was more of a typical superhero instead of a government agent and Bucky was just a kid who hung around army bases and accidentally discovered Cap's secret identity of 'clumsy' private Steve Rogers, and in exchange for keeping the secret was allowed to be Cap's sidekick. Bru's version of the story is much grittier and more realistic.

I don't disagree. I had big problems with Bucky being recast practically as some kind of black ops assassin. The writing was good, the gritty wasn't to my taste.

Jerome Gibbons
01-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Is that right? I only read Truth once, but I thought the deal was essentially that the black troops were test subjects to perfect the formula that Rogers would eventually get. If Cap had already been created, where'd the formula come from to experiment on Isaiah and company?

I haven't read Truth, but as I understand it, Cap was created by Erskine, who was then killed by the Nazis, taking the secrets of the supersoldier serum to his grave. So a couple years later, the government commissioned other scientists to recreate the formula, but because these guys were basically groping in the dark with their work, they first decided to test their formulas on black soldiers, using them as guinea pigs.

Jerome Gibbons
01-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Kyle Baker, who penciled Truth:

With Captain America, people get on my case for ‘changing’ Captain America. We got a lot of grief from the Captain America fans on that series until the fifth and sixth issues came out; when it turned out that we hadn’t tinkered with the continuity. Before that, everybody was very upset, because our story started with Pearl Harbor, and everybody knows that the first issue of Captain America took place before Pearl. Somewhere in the middle of the series, it's revealed that Cap already existed, and we hadn’t tinkered with the timeline, and suddenly, the book is okay.
http://forum.newsarama.com/printthread.php?s=&threadid=4442

Steve Marshall
01-26-2008, 11:41 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that go against what was stated in Heinberg's Young Avengers?

The Hodag
01-26-2008, 11:41 PM

Much obliged. I'm obviously remembering that early hullabaloo before the big reveal near the end of the end of Truth, so apologies if I've misrepresented it in this thread.

It's interesting to me that Baker, in that interview, seems to feel its fannish devotion to continuity that had people upset over the early issues of Truth. The interview paraphrases him as saying that fans care more about continuity than character, which I think can be true at times, but doesn't represent where I'm coming from. I'm generally not too hung up on continuity, but I do think sticking to the spirit of a character is pretty important, and Cap's classic origin is basically a big rah-rah tale of American know-how put to altruistic purposes. Maybe it's too corny for modern audiences, but I hate to think we've become so cynical we've forgotten the utter sincerity that helped so many Americans rally, fight, and sometimes die to win the war.

That's what the original super-soldier origin represents to me - the highest ideals of the Allies in World War II - and that's why I bristled at the notion Truth at least teased in its early issues: a Captain America whose greatness was built on the backs of the exploited. I don't think that's me quibbling over continuity.

In any case, this thread's had the inadvertent effect of making me want to re-read the series. It's a shame that it's been out of print for years. I'd think with the Young Avengers getting the spotlight it'd be a smart time to get it back in print.

Ashwin Pande
01-27-2008, 01:34 AM
oh dear god... Soul Plane is a REAL movie?????

Brewtown Andy
01-27-2008, 05:58 AM
1) Just now BET's getting pissed off at Aaron McGruder?

2) I'm going to be deprived of Uncle Ruckus getting a reality show on BET? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Brewtown Andy
01-27-2008, 05:59 AM
is boondocks any good???
it's not like aqua teen hunger force is it?? i've never seen either shows, but i just don't even want to try aqua. i'm not saying anything bad against it. i just don't really care for giving it a shot.www.gocomics.com/boondocks

Foolish Mortal
01-27-2008, 06:21 AM
This really bothers me simply because the shots McGruder has taken at BET in the past were 100% on target.

I'd say Boondocks is every bit as controversial as South Park. South Park has never touched on the subject of the word 'Nigger'. Boondocks has.

And tv shows have been pulled in the past due to some controversy. So this isn't something new. The South Park episode about Tom Cruise and Scientology has only aired once, and Comedy Central won't run it again under threat of lawsuit.

Wastrel
01-27-2008, 06:27 AM
I'd say Boondocks is every bit as controversial as South Park. South Park has never touched on the subject of the word 'Nigger'. Boondocks has.

yes it has. there was a whole episode about the fallout from randy saying nigger on wheel of fortune.

SteveFlack
01-27-2008, 07:54 AM
What happened between MaGruder and Hudlin?

-Steve!

GrandeMaestro Fünke
01-27-2008, 08:14 AM

Spider-Man: India? I understand it horribly stereotypes India, its culture and its people.

Pablo pretty much hits the nail. It has some nice art, but not worth the money.

-Steve!

From what I remember hearing is they had a fall out with eachother after Fox rejected the Boondocks pilot and Hudlin became a VP at BET. Not sure if it was ever made public, but I think McGruder has alluded to it in a few interviews.

Hopefully these episodes at the very least will be leaked online.

Foolish Mortal
01-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Pablo pretty much hits the nail. It has some nice art, but not worth the money.

From what I remember hearing is they had a fall out with eachother after Fox rejected the Boondocks pilot and Hudlin became a VP at BET. Not sure if it was ever made public, but I think McGruder has alluded to it in a few interviews.

Hopefully these episodes at the very least will be leaked online.
It's been pretty established that McGruder is not a fan of BET's style of programming. It isn't nearly as progressive enough for his tastes. (Me either)

Brewtown Andy
01-27-2008, 08:59 AM
This really bothers me simply because the shots McGruder has taken at BET in the past were 100% on target.

I'd say Boondocks is every bit as controversial as South Park. South Park has never touched on the subject of the word 'Nigger'. Boondocks has.And it was glorious, especally Uncle Ruckus.

Boris the Blade
01-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Dear BET,

You are a bitch ass nigga. I heard they're hiring extra security to protect you. That's a bitch move, BET! I'm coming for that ass again until you pay what you owe.

Sincurly yours,
Riley Freeman.

Joe Kalicki
01-27-2008, 12:30 PM
What are the other reasons to hate BET?

Whip
01-27-2008, 12:33 PM

Broadcasting Nelly's "Tip Drill" video.

Greenville 90210
01-27-2008, 12:43 PM

All they want from black culture is their money. They add nothing. That's a few reasons when you really break it down.

Steve Marshall
01-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Broadcasting Nelly's "Tip Drill" video.

Credit card declined!

Benel Germosen
01-27-2008, 12:45 PM

Exploitation of black culture, rising to prominence on music that's mostly sexist, misogynistic and homophobic, massives amounts of niggerism on a lot of their shows.

And just when I think " Man...they some niggas ", they play bid 'em in (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnR8WDD2aoQ)

Greenville 90210
01-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Exploitation of black culture, rising to prominence on music that's mostly sexist, misogynistic and homophobic, massives amounts of niggerism on a lot of their shows.

And just when I think " Man...they some niggas ", they play bid 'em in (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnR8WDD2aoQ)

QFT.

The Hodag
01-27-2008, 01:09 PM

That mostly sounds right, but I don't get the objection to the anti-slavery animated short you linked to. Too obvious? Played on the heels of an ass-shakin' rap video?

Benel Germosen
01-27-2008, 03:05 PM
That mostly sounds right, but I don't get the objection to the anti-slavery animated short you linked to. Too obvious? Played on the heels of an ass-shakin' rap video?

Yeah, kind of. It's a little jarring to play ass shaking rape videos and then play something poignant and intelligent. I'm like " Why not play the intelligent stuff all the time!? "

Greenville 90210
01-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah, kind of. It's a little jarring to play ass shaking rape videos and then play something poignant and intelligent. I'm like " Why not play the intelligent stuff all the time!? "

They want to make money no matter who they exploit.

Lanowar
01-27-2008, 04:42 PM

-Steve!

MaGruder read his Black Panther run thats what happened.

King of Mars
01-28-2008, 10:14 AM
I despised Hudlin's Black Panther as much as the next guy...but I really doubt that some of you thin skinned, get-mad-at-the internet types who are criticizing him here would get behind a cartoon that portrayed you in such a negative light. Hudlin is supposed to just ignore the way that he's portrayed and sacrifice himself on the altar of "good television"? That makes no sense. I can't think of very many people who would do that.

Joe Kalicki
01-28-2008, 10:15 AM
I despised Hudlin's Black Panther as much as the next guy...but I really doubt that some of you thin skinned, get-mad-at-the internet types who are criticizing him here would get behind a cartoon that portrayed you in such a negative light. Hudlin is supposed to just ignore the way that he's portrayed and sacrifice himself on the altar of "good television"? That makes no sense. I can't think of very many people who would do that.

Rupert Murdoch portrayed himself as a megalomaniacal super-villain type on the Simpsons.

Nick Spencer
01-28-2008, 10:17 AM

People do it all the time. Part of being famous, or in the public eye, is knowing how to take criticism. Whining to a network is just childish and lame.

King of Mars
01-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Rupert Murdoch portrayed himself as a megalomaniacal super-villain type on the Simpsons.Two very different scenarios. Murdoch was, very likely, just having fun with what he considers to be a common, falsely held perception of himself.

King of Mars
01-28-2008, 10:22 AM
People do it all the time. Part of being famous, or in the public eye, is knowing how to take criticism. Whining to a network is just childish and lame.Dude, stop fronting. You would be livid if anyone portrayed you in such an unflattering light.

Joe Kalicki
01-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Two very different scenarios. Murdoch was, very likely, just having fun with what he considers to be a common, falsely held perception of himself.

And Hudlin is an actual douche, then. I get it.

King of Mars
01-28-2008, 10:26 AM
And Hudlin is an actual douche, then. I get it.I don't think you do get it. There's a huge difference between a lighthearted, comedic jab and a scathing, angry parody.

Joe Kalicki
01-28-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't think you do get it. There's a huge difference between a lighthearted, comedic jab and a scathing, angry parody.

Well, I don't know anything about the episodes or anything like that.

For the record, although he's probably the worst writer in comics, I actually like Hudlin and think he's a good guy.

But then, I never chance to wtach BET for some reason.

ds9
01-28-2008, 10:30 AM

Why do u want to hate BET?

Nick Spencer
01-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Dude, stop fronting. You would be livid if anyone portrayed you in such an unflattering light.

I've had people take shots at my work. Doesn't get me upset in the slightest.

Put yourself out there, then you should expect it.

If I make it in comics, I look forward to the day the Rama posters scream about how I'm the worst thing to ever happen to the medium. That's part of the deal.

Greenville 90210
01-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Those "thin-skinned" types would never make it to Hudlin's level so its a moot point. He IS supposed to ignore the way he's (its not even him, most people wouldn't even be in on the joke!) portrayed in a cartoon. To try to censure it, in any way, is a serious bitch move.

BenC (formerly Ape-X)
01-28-2008, 10:36 AM
I actually really want John Ridley to do a run on Black Panther someday.

That I would buy!

Greenville 90210
01-28-2008, 10:37 AM

If I make it in comics, I look forward to the day the Rama posters scream about how I'm the worst thing to ever happen to the medium. That's part of the deal.

This guy gets it.

King of Mars
01-28-2008, 10:56 AM

If I make it in comics, I look forward to the day the Rama posters scream about how I'm the worst thing to ever happen to the medium. That's part of the deal.This isn't a shot at Hudlin's work. It's a dig at him as a human being.

Nick Spencer
01-28-2008, 11:00 AM
This isn't a shot at Hudlin's work. It's a dig at him as a human being.

Ok, having not seen the episode (and neither have you), I don't really know what you're basing that on. But more than that, again, that's life. Jesus... some people would kill to be satirized like this-- it means you've made an impression, at least.

ds9
01-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Why is it ok to talk about about certain creators works and not other?

King of Mars
01-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Those "thin-skinned" types would never make it to Hudlin's level so its a moot point. He IS supposed to ignore the way he's (its not even him, most people wouldn't even be in on the joke!) portrayed in a cartoon. To try to censure it, in any way, is a serious bitch move.Why is he supposed to ignore it? Would Joe Quesada put out a comic that makes him look like a complete asshole just for the sake of "the art"?

Nick Spencer
01-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Why is he supposed to ignore it? Would Joe Quesada put out a comic that makes him look like a complete asshole just for the sake of "the art"?

I don't really get your argument here.

Bottom line: this is some thin skinned bullshit. He needs to grow a pair.

King of Mars
01-28-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't really get your argument here.

Bottom line: this is some thin skinned bullshit. He needs to grow a pair.Bottome line: it's always easy to say something like that when it isn't YOUR character that's being impugned.

Nick Spencer
01-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Bottome line: it's always easy to say something like that when it isn't YOUR character that's being impugned.

First off, it doesn't even sound like that 'scathing' a parody. Second, as for me, impugn away.

Greenville 90210
01-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Why is he supposed to ignore it? Would Joe Quesada put out a comic that makes him look like a complete asshole just for the sake of "the art"?

I don't think you understand.

If Image published a comic with a character who was a fat, anti-smoking, continuity-killer named Jose Quesedilla, joey Q couldn't stop it from being published and probably wouldn't.

King of Mars
01-28-2008, 11:37 AM
If Image published a comic with a character who was a fat, anti-smoking, continuity-killer named Jose Quesedilla, joey Q couldn't stop it from being published and probably wouldn't.How do you know what he would do if he had the influence to prevent himself, and Marvel, from being portrayed in such a negative light?

Greenville 90210
01-28-2008, 11:44 AM
How do you know what he would do if he had the influence to prevent himself, and Marvel, from being portrayed in such a negative light?

Because they understand parody. Stuff like that happens. Look around the internet.

You and “Wedgie Rutland” need thicker skin.

King of Mars
01-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Because they understand parody. Stuff like that happens. Look around the internet.

You and “Wedgie Rutland” need thicker skin.Me? I didn't stop any TV programs from airing. If I was in Hudlin's shoes, I would probably just let it go. I'm a big proponent of letting people say whatever the fuck they want. That's why you'll never see me calling for someone to be banned from this board, no matter what sort of vile shit he/she might spew. That being said, I understand why people try to use their influence in these situations and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Foolish Mortal
01-28-2008, 12:12 PM
How do you know what he would do if he had the influence to prevent himself, and Marvel, from being portrayed in such a negative light?
Because for one thing, parodies and satire are protected forms of free speech. He couldn't stop it from being published anyway. It would get thrown out in court.

King of Mars
01-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Because for one thing, parodies and satire are protected forms of free speech. He couldn't stop it from being published anyway. It would get thrown out in court.Hunh? We're discussing a hypothetical situation involving Quesada using corporate influence in the same manner that Hudlin did. It has nothing to do with free speech or the courts.

Foolish Mortal
01-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Hunh? We're discussing a hypothetical situation involving Quesada using corporate influence in the same manner that Hudlin did. It has nothing to do with free speech or the courts.

If Image published a comic with a character who was a fat, anti-smoking, continuity-killer named Jose Quesedilla, joey Q couldn't stop it from being published and probably wouldn't.

I was responding to your reply to Scotland.

Greenville 90210
01-28-2008, 12:21 PM
I wish someone would give me props for "Jose Quesedilla". I was pretty proud of it. :cool:

Jef UK
01-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Some "iconoclast."

Foolish Mortal
01-28-2008, 12:31 PM
I wish someone would give me props for "Jose Quesedilla". I was pretty proud of it. :cool:
http://i32.tinypic.com/zistaq.gif

King of Mars
01-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Some "iconoclast."A) I don't support censorship. I just understand this sort of thing can happen when two TV networks fall under the same corporate umbrella.

B) Fans won't be deprived of anything, nor will McGruder. He'll find a way to release the "lost" episodes of Boondocks, and he'll probably make a bit of extra cash off of the controversy. This is all much ado about nothing.

C) The "Iconoclast" screenname is a tongue-in-cheek thing. ;)

Albert
02-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Hey, clips have leaked out.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/blog/2008/02/banned_boondocks_bashes_bet.html

changingshades
02-12-2008, 12:13 PM

http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/blog/2008/02/banned_boondocks_bashes_bet.html

nice

Foolish Mortal
02-12-2008, 12:24 PM

I had heard the beating McGruder gives BET was savage, but now seeing some of it, 'savage' isn't a strong enough adjective. :lol:

Scotty
02-12-2008, 12:43 PM
that clip was funny.

Foolish Mortal
02-12-2008, 12:59 PM
that clip was funny.
To you and me, maybe. For Reggie Hudlin, maybe not. :lol:

changingshades
02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
To you and me, maybe. For Reggie Hudlin, maybe not. :lol:

for him, it was blacktastic

Hong Kong Phooey Kick!
02-12-2008, 02:07 PM
"Which one of us went to Harvard?"

That is now my primary ammunition in all arguments from now on

Donal DeLay
02-12-2008, 03:35 PM
That was funny.

Can't wait to watch the censored episodes on DVD.

Boris the Blade
03-16-2008, 08:54 PM
This episode just aired on Teletoon.

Fusion
03-16-2008, 09:09 PM
What The Fuck?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Boris the Blade
03-16-2008, 09:53 PM
BET: It's what's on in the background.

Greenville 90210
03-16-2008, 09:57 PM
How was it? Can they just not show it in America?

Boris the Blade
03-16-2008, 10:15 PM
How was it? Can they just not show it in America?
I don't know. I caught about half of it, I was channel flipping and caught it in the middle of Cee-Lo singing the first song off the Gnarles Barkley CD at some BET protest, and I was like "NO THEY DIDN'T! THEY DID!" I'm going to e-mail them and ask.

Steve Marshall
03-20-2008, 09:38 PM
The whole episode is availible online now:

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh0t82i2XBg7IFpivh

Nick Spencer
03-20-2008, 09:44 PM
The whole episode is availible online now:

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh0t82i2XBg7IFpivh

It was everything I thought it would be and more.

Fuck BET.

Benel Germosen
03-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Good lord. That had to hurt.

mike black
03-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Just the first 2 minutes hurt. :lol:

Benel Germosen
03-20-2008, 10:14 PM
They really whooped Rev. Al Sharpton's ass though.

mike black
03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
They really whooped Rev. Al Sharpton's ass though.

Fuck yeah. :lol:

Loved the first appearance of Uncle Ruckus.

c. page
03-21-2008, 12:18 AM

no, but you also can't be a producer on a show that takes some pretty pointed shots at others, and then get upset when that same show turns its sights on you.

VitoDGK
03-21-2008, 01:06 AM
that was great

Amos Moses
03-21-2008, 01:41 AM
They've gotta release the last one now. I need my Ruckus fix!!

Steve Marshall
03-27-2008, 03:20 PM
They've gotta release the last one now. I need my Ruckus fix!!

Episode 15 - The Uncle Ruckus Reality Show:

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhnw245mzjkwncrYtl

Amos Moses
03-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Episode 15 - The Uncle Ruckus Reality Show:

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhnw245mzjkwncrYtl

I will have your babies!