PDA

View Full Version : How long does it usually take two cats to "adjust" to each other?

X arseface X
01-25-2008, 10:53 AM
My room mate and I have had a kitten for about 6 months. I started noticing that when he was left alone for long periods (such as when we're at work) he would seem very needy and bummed. We decided to get him a friend, so we got another kitten yesterday. Occassionally, they'll play nice, but mostly the older cat just attacks the little one and I can't tell if they're playing or not. How long should it take them to warm up to each other?

ThisSpaceForRent
01-25-2008, 11:16 AM
They might never...growing up I had cats that never got along. I've had cats that fought for a while (couple weeks or a month) and then were great together.

My parents have 2 cats right now...one is 19 the other is 4-5...the cats have been living together for 3-4 years now and still only get along when it's time to eat.

The younger cat is fat as hell and could easily take the older cat (whom no one believes is actually 19), but is terrified of him.

Ben
01-25-2008, 11:25 AM
They're probably just playing. I adopted two sister cats years ago, and they still fight once in a while. They get really loud, too. But it's just playing. As long as no one draws blood, I wouldn't worry about it.

And IMO it's always better to have two pets if you can afford them. When you just have one, they can get really lonely.

Taxman
01-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Probably a couple of weeks. If they can't live together by that point, it may be time to return the second cat.

ClintP
01-25-2008, 11:38 AM
I saw my inlaws two cats who are brothers from the same litter fucking on my Jetta engine yesterday. I think they have gotten used to each other quite well... The odd thing was that the cat that like people was the one doing the raping...

Hollingsworth
01-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Brush them with the same brush. This transfers smell from one cat the other. It helps them get used to each other.

DAVE
01-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Put them into the same duffel bag that's getting thrown into the river. Then they'll have to learn to play nice.

Marc Lombardi
01-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Put them into the same duffel bag that's getting thrown into the river. Then they'll have to learn to play nice.
:-x
Yeah. Six responses is about right for the first cat hater to chime in!

Never happens with the puppy threads, you'll note.

DAVE
01-25-2008, 11:58 AM

What? I'm offering a helpful way to get the kittens to get along!

ClintP
01-25-2008, 12:01 PM

:rofl: These two posts made my day.

Gunter
01-25-2008, 12:15 PM
They might never...growing up I had cats that never got along. I've had cats that fought for a while (couple weeks or a month) and then were great together.

My parents have 2 cats right now...one is 19 the other is 4-5...the cats have been living together for 3-4 years now and still only get along when it's time to eat.

The younger cat is fat as hell and could easily take the older cat (whom no one believes is actually 19), but is terrified of him.

19??!!!

Wow.

Donal DeLay
01-25-2008, 12:30 PM
They're probably just playing. I adopted two sister cats years ago, and they still fight once in a while. They get really loud, too. But it's just playing. As long as no one draws blood, I wouldn't worry about it.

And IMO it's always better to have two pets if you can afford them. When you just have one, they can get really lonely. Also with this, watch them closer during "non-play" moments. I don't mean to seperate them if they go at it, but I mean when one is eating and the other gets near do they swat at each other? Stuff like that.

If they're playing, then they probably ARE used to each other and are just playing rough. When we lived in the apartment, we had two cats. They played rough a lot of the time, and there were times when one cat would want to play while the other was mellow, and it looked like a fight. Growling and all.

Also, sometimes cats are single family cats and don't want/need a companion. A Beta cat usually doesn't want another cat trying to steal your affections.

Since you have kittens, it's probably just a moment of one wants to play and the other just wants to chill.

Ben
01-25-2008, 12:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGb5BCS2lQ4

J. R. Scherer
01-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Our two newer cats have never gotten along with our older cat. They're all around the same age, but the two newer cats like to stalk the other one and pounce on her and she really freaks out. They scare her so badly that she'll literally shit when they come after her. So now she's upstairs and the other two cats live downstairs and everyone's happy.

Jef UK
01-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Sometimes never.

ClintP
01-25-2008, 12:58 PM
What is also funny is that the two gay incest cats my inlaws have get along pretty well with the 3 dogs over there (one is ours) when they all have to share the garage on super cold days. If 3 dogs can play nice with 2 cats, anything is possible right? Or is that a sign of the coming Apocalypse?

X arseface X
01-26-2008, 02:00 AM

This is pretty much exactly what they look like. From the day we got the first cat, he's always liked to play rough. I think that's just how he rolls. The new cat is really mellow and chill and I don't think he appreciates "play" time. Hopefully they reach a happy medium, because we only got cat number two to keep cat number one from getting lonely when we're gone.

Run-BMC
01-26-2008, 02:47 AM
It took our cats a full year and a new apartment.

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
01-26-2008, 04:53 AM
My cat is seven years old. She'll tolerate dogs, but I don't think she'd ever get used to another cat. She suddenly became aggressive when introduced to my last roommate's cat. I lived there for about 6 months, and they never became friends. She's become more affectionate and outgoing with people, however. I was thinking about getting a kitten, but I'm too afraid that she'd terrorize it.

WillieLee
01-26-2008, 06:21 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydxyn54oUh4&feature=related