PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Avengers #8 and Ultimate Spider-Man #118 Previews!

Joe Henderson
01-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Fully lettered and everything...especially digging the Ultimate Spider-man pages:

USM:
http://comics.ign.com/articles/847/847479p1.html

MA:
http://comics.ign.com/articles/847/847408p1.html

Will
01-24-2008, 07:05 PM
I know this is going to sound douchey but Wasp growing bigger is not a new power.

She did this in the Chuck Austen run and has been doing it since then. Outside of that though Mighty Avengers is awesome, I especially like the image where the symbiote is chewing on Iron Man's forcefield.

Ray G.
01-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Kong = made of living awesome.

This really feels like classic USM, which the last arc didn't quite. It looks fantastic. I'm nominating it in the review crew tomorrow - we've got to review USM one of these years! :lol:

Simps
01-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Sometimes I forget how good Ultimate Spider-Man is. Pages like that remind me why it's consistently been my best read for over 7 years now.

Mike_Johnson
01-24-2008, 07:23 PM
The USM issue looks amazing.

Kong's the man.

ultimate samwise gamgee
01-24-2008, 07:27 PM
both look great... USM looks way better than the last arc. I actually forgot Kong figured out Peter was Spidey. I thought that he only thought he was but then changed his mind. That was cool to see.

Also, I am very excited to get another Mighty Avengers so soon. Thank God for Bagley. Also, the people who the symbiotes don't affect... Skrull potential? At least some of them, I think.

Fake Pat
01-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Stuart Immonen=Skrull.

There's no other explanation for his ass-kickery.

MAK15
01-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Those MA pages are fucking METAL! :rock:

NickT
01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
I know this is going to sound douchey but Wasp growing bigger is not a new power.

She did this in the Chuck Austen run and has been doing it since then. Outside of that though Mighty Avengers is awesome, I especially like the image where the symbiote is chewing on Iron Man's forcefield.
Skrull.

Will
01-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Skrull.
Hey, I guess that works.

greg donovan
01-24-2008, 08:03 PM

i didnt read the austen run but her it says that she can go from tiny straight to giant now. maybe that is the difference? or maybe the change can happen faster now?

Will
01-24-2008, 08:08 PM
i didnt read the austen run but her it says that she can go from tiny straight to giant now. maybe that is the difference? or maybe the change can happen faster now?
Maybe it's a speedier change formula then.

BAMF
01-24-2008, 08:08 PM
How can someone not love USM? The preview looks fantastic. I can't even be mad at the apparent ID of Ultimate Firestar anymore...just bring the arc on.

And as much as I loved Bagley on USM, he's just not the right fit for MA.

Jerome Gibbons
01-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, the Wasp could already turn giant. Also, she can pop antennae and talk to insects.

And I think the Scorpion's name was misspelled. I think it says Max, not Mac.

TheKraken
01-24-2008, 08:34 PM

Chuck Austen never wrote The Avengers. It didn't happen!

:)

HCMarvel
01-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Bendis isn't exactly the king of continuity with his Avengers work.

The USM pages do look amazing though.

MAK15
01-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah, the Wasp could already turn giant. Also, she can pop antennae and talk to insects.

And I think the Scorpion's name was misspelled. I think it says Max, not Mac.

you're right, they goofed

Balefuego
01-25-2008, 01:42 AM
I think what Hank is saying is that the ability to go straight from Wasp sized to giant-sized without any downtime or rest is what the new ability is.

Either way I'm set for some symbiote smackdowns

BENDIS!
01-25-2008, 01:45 AM
Bendis isn't exactly the king of continuity with his Avengers work.

like?

Pat Shatner
01-25-2008, 02:23 AM
Jesus, those are the best USM pages I've read in a long time. I haven't been this excited since Ultimate Clone Saga. Bendis and Immonen are a wonderful team.

Bryan H
01-25-2008, 03:54 AM
I use to hate Kong so hard, now I'm rooting for him. Go Kong, get some booty.

And if Liz ain't Firestar, then that's a good head fake.

Bryan H
01-25-2008, 03:55 AM
like?

Sauron!

(Hey, if I didn't, someone was gonna).

I can't think of anything else.

Mitchel
01-25-2008, 05:16 AM
Now why is Wonder Man saying "wait I'm not flesh & blood, I'm ionic"!!! I know Bendis could have meant his flresh & blood are ionic but with so many readers understanding it literally now I can see people using that line to say Wonder Man is just energy, so that a guy made of energy can't get drunk, or bleed or make love to Carol Danvers, etc. etc. etc.]

Sorry to go all emo on this detail but as a fan of the character I care about that stuff.

http://home.comcast.net/~e103530/1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~e103530/1a.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~e103530/2.jpg

Matt C. Linton
01-25-2008, 05:36 AM
Since Wonder Man was brought back during the Busiek/Perez run, I think his physiology has changed so that he is composed of ionic energy now.

ChuckMcButcalf
01-25-2008, 06:28 AM
I've been okay with Immonen's art since he's been on USM, but Jesus! It looks like he's really hit his stride here. That and I'm really digging the one page character studies going on here too. This is why USM continues to be my favorite book out there.

BTW, I've been rereading the trades and at one point Liz mentions her uncle, who was a mutant, died in Washington DC.

Could this be a reference Magneto's not quite death in the first arc of Ultimate X-Men? I wouldn't be suprised if the master of magnetism ends up being Liz's uncle. Just sayin'.

Fake Pat
01-25-2008, 06:37 AM
I've been okay with Immonen's art since he's been on USM, but Jesus! It looks like he's really hit his stride here. That and I'm really digging the one page character studies going on here too. This is why USM continues to be my favorite book out there.

BTW, I've been rereading the trades and at one point Liz mentions her uncle, who was a mutant, died in Washington DC.

Could this be a reference Magneto's not quite death in the first arc of Ultimate X-Men? I wouldn't be suprised if the master of magnetism ends up being Liz's uncle. Just sayin'.

WOW. Good call man. You might have something there.

Mitchel
01-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Since Wonder Man was brought back during the Busiek/Perez run, I think his physiology has changed so that he is composed of ionic energy now.

Nope. Here is Kurt Busiek saying he is flesh and blood on an old post from rec.arts.comicbooks:

> KURT BUSIEK> Every now and then he's been described as made of energy, but
> this is incorrect -- suffused with energy is a better description. But even
> then, he's still got all the same cells he'd have if he were a normal
> human -- blood cells, muscle tissue, hair, lungs, etc. -- but each of the
> cells that makes up those things is all kachoonga with energy. They are
> still cells, however, and make up the usual bodily components.

ChuckMcButcalf
01-25-2008, 06:52 AM
WOW. Good call man. You might have something there.

Thank you sir. Rereading the trades, you see a lot of stuff just mentioned off hand that turns out to be significant later. I'm wondering if thats the case here.

Kefky
01-25-2008, 07:08 AM

That's really a cool idea.

If it turns out to be true, it's a bit of a shame that Bendis delayed the reveal for so long.

SteveZegers
01-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Looks great. I'm not crazy about everyone thinking Hank is an A-hole again, but what can you do?

MAK15
01-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Looks great. I'm not crazy about everyone thinking Hank is an A-hole again, but what can you do?

post your complain on the bendis board, for starters...

SteveZegers
01-25-2008, 07:21 AM
post your complain on the bendis board, for starters...

I don't think I care enough for a formal complaint.

No, I don't.

RedX123
01-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Now why is Wonder Man saying "wait I'm not flesh & blood, I'm ionic"!!! I know Bendis could have meant his flresh & blood are ionic but with so many readers understanding it literally now I can see people using that line to say Wonder Man is just energy, so that a guy made of energy can't get drunk, or bleed or make love to Carol Danvers, etc. etc. etc.]

Sorry to go all emo on this detail but as a fan of the character I care about that stuff.

You will very disappointed when you learn that Wonder Man's a Skrull.

Juggernaut
01-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Honestly I thought that Wasp's new power might be that she just keeps the symbiote on her.

MAK15
01-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Honestly I thought that Wasp's new power might be that she just keeps the symbiote on her.

...really?
did you read NA 36?

Juggernaut
01-25-2008, 07:31 AM
...really?
did you read NA 36?

Yeah I did,im speaking from the point of view of before I read that issue. Anyway I seen symbiotes seemingly destroyed before in the spiderman comics yet always something of them remains to come back.

Just thought it would be the weirdest thing if Jan actually kept it.

Hoggie
01-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Magneto as Liz's uncle would blow my mind.:rock: Bendis continues to take this thing (USM) in crazy directions.

MAK15
01-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Yeah I did,im speaking from the point of view of before I read that issue. Anyway I seen symbiotes seemingly destroyed before in the spiderman comics yet always something of them remains to come back.

Just thought it would be the weirdest thing if Jan actually kept it.

eh, we already got Toxin playing the good symbiote, why need another?
especially when Toxin has had like, no appearances since his mini.

Sehestedt
01-25-2008, 07:46 AM
I love Kong, and pages like this are why: http://media.comics.ign.com/media/739/739976/img_5215434.html

I recently re-read the whole USM run, and I have a nagging question: Remember when Flash kept trying to get a moment with Peter to ask him something? Later, when they were all in study hall together, MJ figured out that what Flash was trying to tell Peter was that he liked Gwen. Was MJ right? Or is that thread still hanging?

ChuckMcButcalf
01-25-2008, 07:49 AM
I love Kong, and pages like this are why: http://media.comics.ign.com/media/739/739976/img_5215434.html

I recently re-read the whole USM run, and I have a nagging question: Remember when Flash kept trying to get a moment with Peter to ask him something? Later, when they were all in study hall together, MJ figured out that what Flash was trying to tell Peter was that he liked Gwen. Was MJ right? Or is that thread still hanging?

I think the the detention scene was kind of the end of that thread. It might have been one of those instances that Bendis talked about in wordballoon that he wanted to leave it to the readers to decide for themselves. Of course, I didn't write it so I could be full of shit.

Juggernaut
01-25-2008, 10:33 AM
eh, we already got Toxin playing the good symbiote, why need another?
especially when Toxin has had like, no appearances since his mini.

Simple reason why it would work with Jan,because their is absoloutly no connection to it,the unexpected is always good in comics kinda like ultron in annihilation,unexpected but unique and making people curious.

2nd,no one cares about toxin,on janet people know who it is...so the association makes it worth it. Anyway it would be funny to watch Hank Pym try and repair the relationship with her and then the symbiote side of her creeps out and attacks Hank as it shares her anger and resentment.

Jerome Gibbons
01-25-2008, 10:44 AM

Simon is just saying he's not regular flesh and blood. Which is true, considering he doesn't need to sleep, breath or drink anything anymore.

Mitchel
01-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Simon is just saying he's not regular flesh and blood. Which is true, considering he doesn't need to sleep, breath or drink anything anymore.

That would be correct but I know too many people will take it literally and think he is an energy balloon in the shape of a man sort of like DC's Captain Atom.

Ben
01-25-2008, 11:16 AM

She did this in the Chuck Austen run and has been doing it since then. Outside of that though Mighty Avengers is awesome, I especially like the image where the symbiote is chewing on Iron Man's forcefield.Could she go straight from small to large? Or would she have to start from a normal size?

JHickman
01-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Stuart Immonen... good lord.

Gordon Chumway
01-25-2008, 11:29 AM
KONG!

Yehabuwha?

My brain is dripping from my ear.

ZombieSpeedball
01-25-2008, 12:21 PM
I am so serious when I say that Bendis is doing EXACTLY what I wanted to see happen. Kong can start dating Kitty and become Peter's new at-school best friend. Oh man, I am so looking forward to reading this.

Will
01-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Could she go straight from small to large? Or would she have to start from a normal size?I don't see why she couldn't have been able to go from small to large before.

MAK15
01-25-2008, 04:42 PM
I don't see why she couldn't have been able to go from small to large before.

might've been too much strain on the body.
or she might not've been able to go that large before pym gave her the super-serum.

Kefky
01-25-2008, 04:51 PM
She went from small to large in Austen's run.

But eh, ignoring Austen's run is always a good thing anyway. :)

Juggernaut
01-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Wonderman lost all cred with me once Sentry bitch smacked him away during the fem-ultron arc.

MAK15
01-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Wonderman lost all cred with me once Sentry bitch smacked him away during the fem-ultron arc.

you try standing up against a man with the power of a million exploding suns.

evilgenius
01-26-2008, 06:01 AM
I don't care about Mighty Avengers!.... But please start doing USM twice every month from now on :)

andrew french
01-26-2008, 07:19 AM
damn, USM looks pretty good. Mostly for Immonen and my old love for spidey and his amazing friends, but damn.

Andreas
01-27-2008, 02:38 AM
damn, USM looks pretty good. Mostly for Immonen and my old love for spidey and his amazing friends, but damn.

Get it! ;) This is only the second story arc with art by Immonen. And he's perfect for all the goofy, "cartoony" stuff going on in between the characters.

Andreas

Mitchel
01-27-2008, 04:33 AM

Bendis, you reading this? So is Bendis Wonder Man a second bananas to Sentry & Ares? I think its cool that you guys have got him paired up with Ms. Marvel and all but can we please get to some major ass kicking by Simon that doesn't involves him getting his own ass kicked?

Juggernaut
01-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Bendis, you reading this? So is Bendis Wonder Man a second bananas to Sentry & Ares? I think its cool that you guys have got him paired up with Ms. Marvel and all but can we please get to some major ass kicking by Simon that doesn't involves him getting his own ass kicked?

Well,Wonderman has been second banana's to a few avengers so it's nothing new. Thor for one,and when talking about Sentry everyone is 2nd to him.

The guy doesn't even have his ionic energy form anymore so he isn't as powerful as he used to be.

Mitchel
01-27-2008, 08:51 AM
The guy doesn't even have his ionic energy form anymore so he isn't as powerful as he used to be.

The ionic cloud was only a cosmetic effect, like the Phoenix bird or Captain Marvel energy trail, it didn't give him any more power than when he didn't have it. Only new power he had was the ability to flight by himself and he still has that one.

Jerome Gibbons
01-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Bendis, you reading this? So is Bendis Wonder Man a second bananas to Sentry & Ares?

He's second to Sentry, obviously, but EVERYONE is. That's kind of the point of the character.

Wonder Man did something kind of weird in the fight against Ultron, I dunno if it's a new power or what, but he seemed to be able to use the ionic energy that used to cover him offensively.

A.Huerta
01-28-2008, 11:34 AM

HE also needs a new look. Tired of that same design with his "W"

BENDIS!
01-28-2008, 11:48 AM

read the book :)

ClintP
01-28-2008, 12:10 PM
What is Wonderman's power? I don't know crap about him and based on his name, I am rooting for his demise. :)

Arion
01-28-2008, 01:13 PM

Of course I will.

Kefky
01-28-2008, 01:59 PM
What is Wonderman's power? I don't know crap about him and based on his name, I am rooting for his demise. :)

Hey, what's up with that Ant-man guy? He looks like an asshole. I hope he dies soon, 'cause he just seems like a really shitty character who deserves it. :)

Jerome Gibbons
01-28-2008, 02:04 PM

He can kick the crap out of you, but only when he's not busy having his essence "dispersed around the cosmos" or whatever the fuck.

Arion
01-28-2008, 02:42 PM

I thought you were an old Avengers fan.

MAK15
01-28-2008, 03:18 PM

make me

Juggernaut
01-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Tell ya one thing,i would prefer Ares armor gets an update instead of looking like the punisher version of the ancient greek times. That getup he was wearing in his solo series that trevor drew for the first issue cover was awesome.

a couple of chaos blades ahla god of war game and that boy is set to go.

Mitchel
01-29-2008, 04:19 AM

I am but it hurts to see my boy getting his ass kicked every other issue. In the last Cho issue you have every hero with their logo splashed in the panel doing something cool and when we get to Wonder Man we have Sentry bitch slaping him. Come on, a guy named Wonder Man needs to be pretty impressive to keep that name and not get laughed at. Superman wouldn't be much of a super man if every other heavyweight could take him down. Take a look at my signature for inspiration from the past.;-)

MAK15
01-29-2008, 05:13 AM
I am but it hurts to see my boy getting his ass kicked every other issue. In the last Cho issue you have every hero with their logo splashed in the panel doing something cool and when we get to Wonder Man we have Sentry bitch slaping him. Come on, a guy named Wonder Man needs to be pretty impressive to keep that name and not get laughed at. Superman wouldn't be much of a super man if every other heavyweight could take him down. Take a look at my signature for inspiration from the past.;-)

maybe the whole point is for the reader's to wonder why he's on the team?

Arion
01-29-2008, 06:25 AM

A big Wonder Man fan, I take it.

Mitchel
01-29-2008, 10:19 AM
maybe the whole point is for the reader's to wonder why he's on the team?

Hopefully not.

evilgenius
01-30-2008, 08:05 AM
It's Wednesday. Do you know where your highly anticipated comics are?

(Me, I have to wait a few more days. But you guys can gimme impressions!)