PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with comics you don't want anymore?

Evan Wiener
01-20-2008, 08:09 PM
What does everyone do with old or recent comics they don't feel like keeping anymore?

Do you even bother with eBay? Are there places you can donate comics to as charity?

Jerome Gibbons
01-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Uhhhhhmmmmmm...they're kinda just lying there right now. I should really think of something to do with them.

Adam Witt
01-20-2008, 08:11 PM
There's a used bookstore down the road from me that gives a decent amount of store credit for comics.

Otherwise, I keep some, give some to my nieces, eBay some--it all varies.

NickT
01-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Uhhhhhmmmmmm...they're kinda just lying there right now. I should really think of something to do with them.
Haha, that's how I am. I was trying to figure out what to do with them a year ago, and I still haven't done it!

Jerome Gibbons
01-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Haha, that's how I am. I was trying to figure out what to do with them a year ago, and I still haven't done it!

Yeah, I got a lot of stuff in there. I would give them away on the board Pat Loika style, but it's kinda hard from my location.

markgrayson
01-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Old GN's I give to the local library. Otherwise my little brother and his friends

NickT
01-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I got a lot of stuff in there. I would give them away on the board Pat Loika style, but it's kinda hard from my location.
Yeah, the cost would be a bitch.

MAK15
01-20-2008, 08:20 PM
i burn them

silverboy
01-20-2008, 08:20 PM
I need to get rid of mine, they're sitting in my parents' basement. I'm considering one of those sell-your-stuff-on-ebay stores.

J Money
01-20-2008, 08:22 PM
I try to get everything in trade, but my the few comics I do have are read once, then left around the house. Can't bring myself to toss them.

Evan Wiener
01-22-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm surprised there aren't any specific charities for this. I may look into local hospitals and see if children's wards accept comics as donations.

adam_warlock_2099
01-22-2008, 07:39 AM
I had to re-catalouge and update prices for my collection for our renter's insurance, and was thinking of the things that I haven't read since the first time I bought it, that I should get rid of them too, for space. But each year I do this I never can do it, for some reason.

ClintP
01-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Trade them here or over on Newsarama's trading thread, sell them on ebay or a LCS, or give them away like Pat does.

ClintP
01-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Yeah, the cost would be a bitch.

I would be willing to give more shit away for people if they wanted to spot the shipping. I am not nearly as nice as Pat. I just don't see how he can do that all the time. I guess Pat is a saint. Several times I wondered if I should offer to give stuff away like that, but I didn't want to be seen as a cheap ass when Pat gives away so much. Damn him for setting the standards so high! :mad:

ClintP
01-22-2008, 07:44 AM
I had to re-catalouge and update prices for my collection for our renter's insurance, and was thinking of the things that I haven't read since the first time I bought it, that I should get rid of them too, for space. But each year I do this I never can do it, for some reason.

It is the collector mentality that has taken root in you. I am working hard to banish it. By switching over to tpbs and hcs has eliminated my mentality that I "need" to hang on to all these crappy comics.

Brian Defferding
01-22-2008, 07:49 AM
I first drop them off to my LCS to see if they want to keep anything for their store. Then I donate the rest over to my city's Boys and Girls Club.

HCMarvel
01-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Donate all the ones that are appropriate to my local hospital. The Mature Ones (Powers, Punisher) I leave at the train station

adam_warlock_2099
01-22-2008, 08:08 AM
It is the collector mentality that has taken root in you. I am working hard to banish it. By switching over to tpbs and hcs has eliminated my mentality that I "need" to hang on to all these crappy comics.

Yes. Yes it is. I move them every year when I cataloge them and know that I need to do something about this collection size. I've slowed down massivly on my buying right now, mostly just keeping up with U-Spidey and (thanks to an awesome member on this board) catching up with Annihilation issues.

I guess it's just thinking that this is almost 15 years of my life contained in 30 boxes of comics, all with their own indiviual memories tied with them. Hell I'm reading AoA again, and I remember trying to convince my dad to take me to get Factor X #1 before the comic shop closed because I just couldn't wait to keep reading the next part of the story. It those kind of things that keep me holding on to all these comics.

Shannon Chenoweth
01-22-2008, 08:17 AM
I would be willing to give more shit away for people if they wanted to spot the shipping. I am not nearly as nice as Pat. I just don't see how he can do that all the time. I guess Pat is a saint. Several times I wondered if I should offer to give stuff away like that, but I didn't want to be seen as a cheap ass when Pat gives away so much. Damn him for setting the standards so high! :mad:

Same here. If it wasn't for the shipping thing, I would give away a lot since I hate keeping most singles these days. I just don't have the room for them. Sadly, I've thrown some away even when they've been in shitty shape.

I AM GROOT!
01-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Sell them to my LCS for store credit (I usually end up getting at least twice what I paid for them).

ClintP
01-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Sell them to my LCS for store credit (I usually end up getting at least twice what I paid for them).

That is pretty damn good. What store in DFW is this?

I AM GROOT!
01-22-2008, 08:28 AM
That is pretty damn good. What store in DFW is this?

Lone Star. I go by their online want list, and the ones I usually sell back are (by luck) usually the ones they really want. That's not to say that every now and then I'll sell a comic to them that they'll only pay $0.60 for, but since I usually sell things in large amounts at a time, I'll also have some in there that they end up paying $35-75 per comic, so it ends up balancing things out.

Sy-Klone
01-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Right now, I've got a couple of boxes of unwanted comics in one of my closets. I've thought of eBaying them, but the comics I'd want to sell aren't really in high demand. It seems like selling them online would be more trouble than it's worth.

I've thought about donating some to a children's charity or something like that. I hate to throw 'em away.