PDA

View Full Version : U2

Mike_Johnson
01-20-2008, 01:51 PM
I have never bought a U2 Cd. I've never really listened to U2. I've heard a few songs and went 'eh'. A friend of mine swears by them and says I need to listen to them.

I've heard Joshua tree should be the first one to go with. Any U2 fans out there to help me along with a first CD decision.

silverboy
01-20-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm no U2 expert, but I love a lot of their 80s stuff--Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year's Day.

JackBauer
01-20-2008, 01:57 PM
I have never boughten a U2 Cd. I've never really listened to U2. I've heard a few songs and went 'eh'. A friend of mine swears by them and says I need to listen to them.

I've heard Joshua tree should be the first one to go with. Any U2 fans out there to help me along with a first CD decision.

If you heard a few songs by them and went 'eh' why do you still want to listen to a whole album by them? It's masochistic.

Mike_Johnson
01-20-2008, 01:59 PM
If you heard a few songs by them and went 'eh' why do you still want to listen to a whole album by them? It's masochistic.

I've found that a lot of times, the songs/bands I end up loving I initially dislike or flat out hate. I couldn't stand Tool at first but they've become one of my favorite bands when I gave Lateralus a chance. I never right off a band until I give some of their best work a chance.

modungo
01-20-2008, 02:00 PM
U2 is one of those cases where their 2 best selling records, The Joshua Tree and Actung Baby, are alos their best record. However their two "Best Of.." might be the best way to go. You only miss a few of the good singles with 'em.

Kefky
01-20-2008, 02:11 PM
....Boughten?

BOUGHTEN?!?

The Goddamn Schweitz!
01-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Achtung Baby is my favorite of theirs. Really amazing album.

JoeE
You can't go wrong with Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree or War.

gibbEy
....Boughten?

BOUGHTEN?!?

yeah....

boughten?

modungo
01-20-2008, 02:16 PM
....Boughten?

BOUGHTEN?!?

In scrabble it's more points than "bought".

NickT
01-20-2008, 02:17 PM
....Boughten?

BOUGHTEN?!?
It's a perfectly cromulent word.

WillieLee
Just stop now.

gibbEy
It's a perfectly cromulent word.

nice. :D

NickT
I really like U2, but I couldn't tell you which album was best. I like stuff from all over.

Mike_Johnson
01-20-2008, 02:21 PM
....Boughten?

BOUGHTEN?!?

I was typing fast. Mistakes were made.

NickT
01-20-2008, 02:23 PM
I was typing fast. Mistakes were made.
Happens to the bestest of us.

Mike_Johnson
01-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Happens to the bestest of us.

haha. :)

Strikeout
01-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Buy the best of...
You can't go wrong.

Liquid
01-20-2008, 03:05 PM
I love Achtung Baby... U2's best and my all time favourite album.

Sehestedt
01-20-2008, 04:51 PM
I like all of their albums up till Achtung Baby. It was their last great album. They haven't really done anything decent since then.

LilPoe
01-20-2008, 05:07 PM
I'd say Achtung Baby is a good one to start with. It and Joshua Tree often flip flop as my favorite, depending on what mood i'm in.

Beta_Ray_Bryan
01-20-2008, 05:49 PM
I recommend The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum. Huge live sound.

Frozen Sooner
01-20-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm really surprised there's not more love for War. Great great album.

Nick Spencer
01-20-2008, 09:38 PM
It goes

1. Joshua Tree (second only to Pet Sounds overall for me)
2. Achtung Baby
3. All That You Can't Leave Behind
4. War
5. The Unforgettable Fire

The Best Of albums are a great lead-in, but they are an album band, really.

artimoff
01-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Buy the first 5 albums & the second Best of.

Bill Nolan
01-21-2008, 03:20 AM
U2 was much less annoying when they were only liked by those quiet, weird, unpopular kids who would have been known as "emo" if such a term existed back in the early 1980s. Once the Joshua Tree exploded it was all over. Bono thought people cared about his political opinions and he hasn't shut up since.

That said, Actung Baby is the best to start with. The Joshua Tree hasn't aged as well.

Mr. E!
01-21-2008, 03:35 AM
The Unforgettable Fire is by far their best album. That is where you need to start. And forget the best of collections. Get Under a Blood Red Sky, which is their best early stuff live from Red Rocks.

GoddessOKay
01-21-2008, 05:40 AM
If you are feeling seriously sarcastic or masochistic buy Zooropa

That's the one I listen to!

ThisSpaceForRent
01-21-2008, 05:55 AM
Just go see the U2 -3D movie in IMAX in a couple weeks. See if you like it.

GoddessOKay
01-21-2008, 05:58 AM
OOH! I forgot about that!

You just made my day!

I'm actually owed a U2 concert in real life by a family member. They bought the tickets, flashed them at me as a gift, didn't tell me what city they were for, and forgot the date we were going...We showed up a week late!...damn....

LilPoe
01-21-2008, 06:00 AM
OOH! I forgot about that!

You just made my day!

I'm actually owed a U2 concert in real life by a family member. They bought the tickets, flashed them at me as a gift, didn't tell me what city they were for, and forgot the date we were going...We showed up a week late!...damn....

WOW that sucks.

Capt. Canada
01-21-2008, 07:34 AM
U2 = Yawn in my book, just my opinion.

ckonanz
01-21-2008, 07:57 AM
I also recommend Achtung Baby, but I think you could start with a Best of.

Go see the U2 3D in the Imax. It opens this wednesday Jan 23. It has positive reviews everywhere. Itīs suppose to be the future of film concerts...

Rafiennes
01-21-2008, 08:04 AM
The thing about most of U2's music is that the great things are subtle - a melody here or a guitar part there. I've listened to some songs and dismissed them as trite shit, only later to discover that there's more going on than I thought.

Even something like the POP album (the bastard child of their discography) is a great album that seems to benefit from its flaws.

The last two albums suffer from an uneven track listing - the orders don't really work for me.
But all in all, give their stuff a few listens to get into it.

wh park
01-21-2008, 08:30 AM
I love U2 and the way I would rate their albums is thus -

Essentials

War
Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Rattle & Hum
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

It's interesting to see how they've changed their sound over the years, album to album while still maintaining their distinct identity.

GoddessOKay
01-21-2008, 08:37 AM
WOW that sucks.

tell me about it:bored:

Marcdachamp
01-21-2008, 08:41 AM
I bought U2:18 Singles about a year back. It's fairly cheap and it covers a lot of their really good singles. I'd also recommend the songs "City of Blinding Lights" and their cover of "Helter Skelter", neither of which are on said album.

NickT
01-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Even something like the POP album (the bastard child of their discography) is a great album that seems to benefit from its flaws.

Pop is an odd one really. When you listen to their old stuff and their modern stuff, you don't see a song like Discotheque appearing :)

Rafiennes
01-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Pop is an odd one really. When you listen to their old stuff and their modern stuff, you don't see a song like Discotheque appearing :)

Definitely not, but the album is almost a combination of techno (the loops, synth sounds, and beats) and early punk rock (the roughness of the recording and unfinished aspect to some of the songs).

ThisSpaceForRent
01-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Pop is one of my favorite U2 albums. Miami, Please, Discotheque....some really good songs on there.

tavella
01-21-2008, 10:33 AM
I like Pop, even though it isn't their strongest album, because it was a zag, and the great thing about U2 has been their ability to make these wild turns. Melancholy and dreamy October, and then WHANG, War thunders in with Sunday Bloody Sunday, and then it's a sudden turn into electronic and Eno with Unforgettable Fire, and then holy heck, what is this, with Joshua Tree; I remember listening it to it the first time, as a huge fan, and not even being sure I liked it, until I listened to it a couple more times and adored it. And then Actung Baby and that howling opening of Zoo Station, far far way from american deserts and a touch of country... and Pop, even though it's not always successful, goes weird places too.

All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb are both excellent albums, full of good songs, but not so much with the zig or the zag. It's not even that I'd call them a rehash, it's just that I miss that moment of surprise when I play a new album and I'm not sure I really like it because it's so different.

GoddessOKay
01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
that's exactly why Zooropa and POP are two of my faves. beacause they where odd shifts for even them.

I am shocked how many times they can reinvent their sound and then that sound becomes their sound.

Anyone listen to Passengers with B. Eno? Not my fave, but I can appreciate it. It's well made, and has some classics like Miss Sarejavo on it, but it's still U2 in the end...weird guys, awesome talent.

Doc Randy
01-23-2008, 01:42 PM
I saw U2 3D today.

Pretty cool. I wouldn't say it was amazing or anything, but it was pretty good.
It isn't as good as their Live in Boston DVD.

The 3D technology was pretty cool. At one point I almost asked the lady in front of me to sit her ass back down, only to realize it was part of the movie. First time I had ever been tricked by a 3D film before.

The sound mix on Sunday Bloody Sunday was pretty awesome. Probably the highlight for me.