PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of any good PC2TV hardware that is compatible with Mac OS?

Jason California
01-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Everything that I am finding so far needs bootcamp and xp. I would like to find a solution that works with Mac OS. Since there are so many of you Apple lovers here I thought I might see what you guys know.

thanks in advance for any help.

DrMachine
01-16-2008, 02:38 PM
what now?

Jason California
01-16-2008, 02:44 PM
what now?

I want to stream video from a mac to a tv.

something like this...

http://www.engadget.com/tag/EchoViewFM/

but that uses MAC OS

Alex K.
01-16-2008, 02:46 PM
I assume you already checked out the TV?

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

DrMachine
01-16-2008, 02:48 PM
I want to stream video from a mac to a tv.

something like this...

http://www.engadget.com/tag/EchoViewFM/

but that uses MAC OS

The next gen gaming systems do it. You could also get a mac mini. I suppose it depends on your budget.

EDIT - wait...if you have a link for something that does it, what are you asking for?

Jason California
01-16-2008, 02:52 PM
The next gen gaming systems do it. You could also get a mac mini. I suppose it depends on your budget.

EDIT - wait...if you have a link for something that does it, what are you asking for?

this does not work with Mac OS. you need bootcamp and xp.

I assume you already checked out the TV?

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

From what I understood about this it did not do exactly what I need. I will take the guided tour on it now though.

Alex K.
01-16-2008, 02:55 PM
From what I understood about this it did not do exactly what I need. I will take the guided tour on it now though.

The big limitation is that it will only stream content from iTunes.

DrMachine
01-16-2008, 02:56 PM
this does not work with Mac OS. you need bootcamp and xp.

I don't know details but the description says it works with any wifi enabled computer.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Jason California
01-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't know details but the description says it works with any wifi enabled computer.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Thats what it says but when I went to a site that was taking orders for it I was told that I need Intel based mac with windows.

I want to be able to show any picture or video that is on the computer on the tv screen.

Glixy
01-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Can you just run an svideo wire from the computer to your TV. Thats what I did before I had an XBOX360.

Jason California
01-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Can you just run an svideo wire from the computer to your TV. Thats what I did before I had an XBOX360.

looking to do this without wires.

DrMachine
01-16-2008, 03:07 PM

if you basically want to use the TV as an extra monitor then this is your best bet...everything else will stream video (which is what you actually said initially)

showing the computer desktop on the tv is something else entirely

if you just want something to show video and pictures on a tv from your computer then apple TV should do it

Glixy
01-16-2008, 03:08 PM
looking to do this without wires.

Is there a version of Windows Media Player 11 for Macs? Then you could definately do it with an XBOX360.

Glixy
01-16-2008, 03:09 PM
if you basically want to use the TV as an extra monitor then this is your best bet...everything else will stream video (which is what you actually said initially)

if you just want something to show video and pictures on a tv from your computer then apple TV should do it

I just recommended it as a work around. You can start the movie, and then maximize it.

DrMachine
01-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Is there a version of Windows Media Player 11 for Macs? Then you could definately do it with an XBOX360.

I'm not entirely sure what he wants to do. He said stream video and pictures. Which would be fine with a 360/ps3 and some extra software on the Mac. Or better yet an appleTV. However if you want to show the computer desktop which is what I took him to mean later in the thread then he'll definitely have to run wires.

Jason California
01-16-2008, 03:14 PM

don't care about the desktop. just want to stream pictures and video to the tv.

when I said show whatever picture that is on the Mac I meant a slide show presentations or something like that.

I am now looking in the direction of a scanner projector as another option

And this is for some old people that will never buy the game system.

I am really ignorant when it comes to Mac.

DrMachine
01-16-2008, 03:16 PM
don't care about the desktop. just want to stream pictures and video to the tv.

when I said show whatever picture that is on the Mac I meant a slide show presentations or something like that.

I am now looking in the direction of a scanner projector as another option

I am really ignorant when it comes to Mac.

slide show presentations as in powerpoint or keynote would require actually using the tv as a monitor and wouldn't work with a streaming device...

although I suppose you could export the slides as images and then browse them that way...you could potentially lose animations though

this is true for any computer...mac, pc or linux

what you want/need is a big monitor/tv or like you said above, a projector...although you're not going to be able to do it wirelessly

Jason California
01-16-2008, 03:17 PM
In regards to itunes capabilities...

can I put any picture or video on the HD into itunes ?

I really have only used it to a limited degree..

DrMachine
01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
In regards to itunes capabilities...

can I put any picture or video in the HD into itunes ?

I really have only used it to a limited degree..

no

I don't believe you can use itunes to browse pictures...though you can do it on an iPOD

and not all video is iTunes/Quicktime compatible

Jason California
01-16-2008, 03:20 PM
no

I don't believe you can use itunes to browse pictures...though you can do it on an iPOD

and not all video is iTunes/Quicktime compatible

ok, so that nixes the apple tv option.

DrMachine
01-16-2008, 03:22 PM
ok, so that nixes the apple tv option.

...you asked about iTunes not appleTV

an appleTV unit is supposed to be able to browse images and stream video

...but again you will not be able to do ppt or keynote slideshows through anything but a monitor or projector

Jason California
01-16-2008, 03:24 PM
...you asked about iTunes not appleTV

an appleTV unit is supposed to be able to browse images and stream video

...but again you will not be able to do ppt or keynote slideshows through anything but a monitor or projector

Ah, ok. I thought Apple tv works with what is on itunes.