PDA

View Full Version : Spagetti Western RPG video game

andyjoe
01-07-2008, 08:25 AM
What we need here is a good RPG video game based on Westerns.

dang it.

or a game like GTA, open sandbox thing.

who's with me??

Akira
01-07-2008, 08:26 AM

dang it.

who's with me??

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1b/Gun_Coverart.png

adam_warlock_2099
01-07-2008, 08:26 AM

dang it.

who's with me??

Clint Eastwood: Ultimate Destruction?

Robert A.
01-07-2008, 08:28 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1b/Gun_Coverart.png

Beat me to it. :)

Not a great game, but a fun one.

Bald Steve
01-07-2008, 08:29 AM
It's coming. I talked to a guy from Rock Star at Comic Con SD and was bitching about how badly the mark was missed with the first Gun and that Call of Juarez was OK, but not open enough and he just smiled and said, "Just you wait to see what we've got in store for you".

Akira
01-07-2008, 08:31 AM
It's coming. I talked to a guy from Rock Star at Comic Con SD and was bitching about how badly the mark was missed with the first Gun and that Call of Juarez was OK, but not open enough and he just smiled and said, Just you wait to see what we've got in store for you".

He better not have been pulling your chain, cause I whole-hartedly agree that we need at least as many Spaghetti Western games as we have Mascot Kart Racers.

andyjoe
01-07-2008, 08:35 AM
awesome!

I've been on a Western kick since I started reading Johan Hex.

S. Earl
01-07-2008, 08:37 AM
I liked Red Dead Revolver

I played all the way through Gun, and it was underwhelming.

Benel Germosen
01-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Wild Arms

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/Wildarmscase.jpg

ClintP
01-07-2008, 08:40 AM
I endorse this thread. Maybe on the Wii, it could have the draw mode where you have to draw the gun before the other guy does. That would be bad ass and help my real world vigilante skills.

Lab-Rat
01-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Red Dead Revolver and Gun are 2 awesome games.

Call of Juarez was a bit of a disapointment.

However I can easily say...we need more western based games....you can never have too many.

Akira
01-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Wild Arms

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/Wildarmscase.jpg

Is that really good? and is it really a Western? Cause it's up in the PS store for $6 and if it's a Spagetti Western RPG, I'll have to pick it up.

Ashwin Pande
01-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Gun wasn't great but it was ok. Way too short.

They should build on Gun and make a game in that fashion.

The Human Target
01-07-2008, 09:06 AM
This would rule on so many levels my mind boggles.

stevapalooza
01-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Grand Theft Stagecoach: Dodge City

TheHanna
01-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Is that really good? and is it really a Western? Cause it's up in the PS store for $6 and if it's a Spagetti Western RPG, I'll have to pick it up.

I wouldn't call it "Spaghetti Western" but it's the only GOOD western-themed RPG out there. It has sequels, but the original is 8 hojillion times better.

Dreg
01-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't call it "Spaghetti Western" but it's the only GOOD western-themed RPG out there. It has sequels, but the original is 8 hojillion times better.

How about the remake on PS2?

TheHanna
01-07-2008, 09:59 AM
How about the remake on PS2?

*maniacally mocking laughter*

That remake was ATROCIOUS. It was so bad I had to use dictionary.com to ensure that ATROCIOUS was a potent enough word. Luckily, it is.

To put it simply, the remake was published by AgeTec. In my opinion, AGETEC HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING GOOD. EVER! And don't EVEN bring up Armored Core...

If you are playing the remake, for the love of GOD, destroy the disc, and find a copy of the original. Your eyes, ears, and soul will thank you for it.

Benel Germosen
01-07-2008, 10:02 AM
*maniacally mocking laughter*

That remake was ATROCIOUS. It was so bad I had to use dictionary.com to ensure that ATROCIOUS was a potent enough word. Luckily, it is.

To put it simply, the remake was published by AgeTec. AGETEC HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING GOOD. EVER! And don't EVEN bring up Armored Core...

If you are playing the remake, for the love of GOD, destroy the disc, and find a copy of the original. Your eyes, ears, and soul will thank you for it.

Man speaks, you listen.

Gregory
01-07-2008, 10:10 AM
LucasArts had a great FPS spaghetti western game called Outlaws for the PC. This was about 1997.

TheHanna
01-07-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't think I really expressed, game-wise, why the remake is so horrid. Allow me to expand just a bit. Imagine an RPG where you can't go out and find places. Where you can't head to the world map and just go to different towns... you know, go exploring, LIKE PEOPLE DID IN THE WILD WEST. You can't go anywhere you're not "supposed to" until you are told by an NPC where the town/cave/forest is. That's right! If you are not TOLD where it is, IT DOESN'T SHOW UP ON THE FUCKING MAP.

A lack of voice acting, horrible graphics, shoddy controls, and OBVIOUSLY paid off reviewers (God only knows where AgeTec gets the money) ruined this game entirely. The potential was there to resurrect a classic, but instead they took it into the back alley, fucked it raw, and left the remains on a DVD, neatly packaged to look like a game.

You open that box and you expect a game disc. You are getting the bloody remains of a game that was victimized since it's first release. The original release was overshadowed by FF7; it came out only 2 or 3 months before FF7 did. All the sequels fail to live up to the originals standard (3 was close, but not close enough), and the remake is an abomination of gaming. This is the gaming equivalent to the "red-headed stepchild". It could have been a multi-million dollar series in the right hands. Now it's a blemished gem in the bargain bin.

</rant>

PS: You can ask Adam Witt, I went on similar (if not more violently descriptive) tirades at our GameStop when customers asked about the game.

Akira
01-07-2008, 10:23 AM
To put it simply, the remake was published by AgeTec. AGETEC HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING GOOD. EVER! And don't EVEN bring up Armored Core...

Wrong, sir! Wrong!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/Fire_Pro_Wrestling_Returns.jpg

Lab-Rat
01-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Wrong, sir! Wrong!

this man does speak truth.

TheHanna
01-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Wrong, sir! Wrong!

Eh. Definitely not swaying me with a wrestling game, even if it is Fire Pro. Although I'm willing to change it so it says "In my opinion" before my ever-so-bold declaration of hatred.

GelfXIII
01-07-2008, 10:34 AM
We need a "Silverado: The Game" game. :D

Akira
01-07-2008, 10:58 AM
this man does speak truth.

Eh. Definitely not swaying me with a wrestling game, even if it is Fire Pro. Although I'm willing to change it so it says "In my opinion" before my ever-so-bold declaration of hatred.

It is easily my favorite wrestling ever, and one of my top 5 games of the year. On any console.

TheHanna
01-07-2008, 11:12 AM
It is easily my favorite wrestling ever, and one of my top 5 games of the year. On any console.

I really can't help it, I'm an elitist-asshole gamer. I have a severe bias towards any sports/wrestling/racing games. It sounds terrible, but I just see them as less then some other games out there. Part of it comes from meeting the stereotypes that play Madden. You get about half normal dudes who just like their football and want to play, and that's cool, go nuts. But then you have that fanatical half that throws a hissy-fit when you tell them they can't be first in line or that their pre-order wasn't paid in full, even though it "totally was, bro." It took 3 people to convince me that Burnout 3 was worth playing. And I absolutely loved that game. There's something about seeing Madden, or Smackdown vs. Raw outsell a game like Okami that just makes my blood boil. Like I said, I'm an elitist-asshole gamer. I'm the gamer equivalent to the guy that hates all your favorite bands "new stuff" because their "first album was sooooooooo amazing that nothing can live up to it". Feel free to hate me for it.

Akira
01-07-2008, 11:16 AM
I really can't help it, I'm an elitist-asshole gamer. I have a severe bias towards any sports/wrestling/racing games. It sounds terrible, but I just see them as less then some other games out there. Part of it comes from meeting the stereotypes that play Madden. You get about half normal dudes who just like their football and want to play, and that's cool, go nuts. But then you have that fanatical half that throws a hissy-fit when you tell them they can't be first in line or that their pre-order wasn't paid in full, even though it "totally was, bro." It took 3 people to convince me that Burnout 3 was worth playing. And I absolutely loved that game. There's something about seeing Madden, or Smackdown vs. Raw outsell a game like Okami that just makes my blood boil. Like I said, I'm an elitist-asshole gamer. I'm the gamer equivalent to the guy that hates all your favorite bands "new stuff" because their "first album was sooooooooo amazing that nothing can live up to it". Feel free to hate me for it.

FPW is the wrestling game for "elitist-gamer assholes" like you and me ;)

Oh and I feel your gamestop employment pain. Or rather I did a couple of years ago.

TheHanna
01-07-2008, 11:22 AM
FPW is the wrestling game for "elitist-gamer assholes" like you and me ;)

Oh and I feel your gamestop employment pain. Or rather I did a couple of years ago.

Oh, God, I'm so sorry. You need a hug? I need a hug. A good friend of mine once witnessed a day in the life of me and Adam Witt at GameStop.

He has henceforth referred to it as "Retail 'Nam".

Maybe I'll give Fire Pro a second shot... one of these days.

Akira
01-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Oh, God, I'm so sorry. You need a hug? I need a hug. A good friend of mine once witnessed a day in the life of me and Adam Witt at GameStop.

He has henceforth referred to it as "Retail 'Nam".

Maybe I'll give Fire Pro a second shot... one of these days.

I worked Gamestop for:
-Madden
-Halo 2
-GTA:SA
-PSP
-Pokémon Emerald
-Gran Turismo 4

I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor.

Akira
01-07-2008, 11:34 AM
As for FPW, I fully admit that the reason I love it so much is that I played the SNES versions on emulators many years ago and learned how the engine worked. Seriously, I logged almost as much time on that game as ANY PS1 game when I was in college. And the fact that I was watching Japan, Mexico and ECW wrestling around that same time.

It's an aquired taste, but I freaking love it.