PDA

View Full Version : Justice League before JLU question

Georgie
01-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Ok, so I'm in the middle of watching JLU on DVD. I'm 1/2 through the 2nd season. And I fucking LOVE it.

But it makes me want to watch the original JL cartoon. And while I know the characters I love the most (Canary, Green Arrow, Huntress, Question, Supergirl) aren't in them, I want to give it a shot.

However, I'm a little apprehensive because I don't want it to be the Superman and Batman and friends show. Do the other 7 get a lot of good screen time and episodes more devoted to them, or are they supporting characters compared to Superman and Batman?

Blandy vs Terrorism
01-02-2008, 08:28 PM
The others get plenty of screen time, and most episodes are more focused on them.

GrandeMaestro Fünke
01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Batman probably gets the least amount of time out of the seven founders. It's pretty much a team show. Plus a lot of it ties into JLU. I'd reccomend it,but don't expect it to be as good as JLU.

FredC
Everyone definitely gets pretty equal screen time. Sure, certain episodes are focused on certain characters, but everybody gets their fair share of time.

Nick Spencer
Ok, so I'm in the middle of watching JLU on DVD. I'm 1/2 through the 2nd season. And I fucking LOVE it.

But it makes me want to watch the original JL cartoon. And while I know the characters I love the most (Canary, Green Arrow, Huntress, Question, Supergirl) aren't in them, I want to give it a shot.

However, I'm a little apprehensive because I don't want it to be the Superman and Batman and friends show. Do the other 7 get a lot of good screen time and episodes more devoted to them, or are they supporting characters compared to Superman and Batman?

I know its sacrilege, but I prefer JL to JLU. JLU just has too much going on at times, too many characters. Still a great show mind you, but I prefer JL.

Taxman
01-02-2008, 08:31 PM

However, I'm a little apprehensive because I don't want it to be the Superman and Batman and friends show. Do the other 7 get a lot of good screen time and episodes more devoted to them, or are they supporting characters compared to Superman and Batman?If I am not mistaken, there were episodes where Superman and Batman were pretty much written out. The cast was well balanced.

Georgie
01-02-2008, 08:33 PM
I know I'll finish JLU by this weekend, and it seriously knocked me on my ass. I'd only seen a few episodes, so I kinda bought the DVD sets (bought them at the same time) kinda blind. I was instantly hooked.

And it's about to be over, and I want more. Sadly I want more Green Arrow/Black Canary, but I'm not gonna get it. Aside from the films they do now, DC doesn't have any new series planned do they? At least with Bruce Timm and Co. producing it?

GrandeMaestro Fünke
01-02-2008, 08:38 PM
I know I'll finish JLU by this weekend, and it seriously knocked me on my ass. I'd only seen a few episodes, so I kinda bought the DVD sets (bought them at the same time) kinda blind. I was instantly hooked.

And it's about to be over, and I want more. Sadly I want more Green Arrow/Black Canary, but I'm not gonna get it. Aside from the films they do now, DC doesn't have any new series planned do they? At least with Bruce Timm and Co. producing it?

Other then the new DC animated movies nope. Timm's kind of implied that he's not really interested in revisiting the DCAU and would rather do these adaptions.

Georgie
01-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Other then the new DC animated movies nope. Timm's kind of implied that he's not really interested in revisiting the DCAU and would rather do these adaptions.

Kinda lame, but I'm super fuckin stoked for New Frontier, having read it about a month ago.

Taxman
01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
I know I'll finish JLU by this weekend, and it seriously knocked me on my ass. I'd only seen a few episodes, so I kinda bought the DVD sets (bought them at the same time) kinda blind. I was instantly hooked.You must have seen the older Batman series though right? That was an outstanding series, and pretty much started it all.

Nick Spencer
01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Kinda lame, but I'm super fuckin stoked for New Frontier, having read it about a month ago.

If you think about how long the guy spent doing it, its easy to see why he would be burned out.

Georgie
01-02-2008, 08:46 PM
You must have seen the older Batman series though right? That was an outstanding series, and pretty much started it all.

I've seen the majority of them, yeah. I remember watching them as they came on. That's the only competition I've got towards JL. I doubt I'll ever get the Superman DVDs, I've just never liked the character.

I want the Batman:TAS, but it takes a while to get the other Gotham characters in there, right?

Georgie
01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
If you think about how long the guy spent doing it, its easy to see why he would be burned out.

True, but they were so fucking good.

Taxman
01-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I want the Batman:TAS, but it takes a while to get the other Gotham characters in there, right?Wow, not sure. I watched most if not all of this, but not in order. Batman Beyond, Superman, and Justice League all spun off of this to one degree or another.

GrandeMaestro Fünke
01-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I've seen the majority of them, yeah. I remember watching them as they came on. That's the only competition I've got towards JL. I doubt I'll ever get the Superman DVDs, I've just never liked the character.

I want the Batman:TAS, but it takes a while to get the other Gotham characters in there, right?

Robin (Dick Grayson) shows up midway through season one. I think season 2 Batgirl appears and then by season 4 it's Batgirl, Robin (Drake), and Nightwing.

Superman's an alright show, it and Batman Beyond have the biggest connections to JLU. I don't really like Superman either, but it's worth a look.

Batman Beyond's also really good if you haven't seen it. Probably my favorite DCAU show.

Georgie
01-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Wow, not sure. I watched most if not all of this, but not in order. Batman Beyond, Superman, and Justice League all spun off of this to one degree or another.

I think there's a little bit of Dick Grayson as Robin is season one, more in 2, not sure about 3, and Vol 4 is the "New Adventures" with Nightwing, Robin, and :heart: Batgirl.

Georgie
01-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Robin (Dick Grayson) shows up midway through season one. I think season 2 Batgirl appears and then by season 4 it's Batgirl, Robin (Drake), and Nightwing.

Superman's an alright show, it and Batman Beyond have the biggest connections to JLU. I don't really like Superman either, but it's worth a look.

Batman Beyond's also really good if you haven't seen it. Probably my favorite DCAU show.

I used to watch Batman Beyond when it 1st come on TV. I remember thinking it was cool, but not AS cool as TAS.

The "Epilouge" episode of JLU was badass, though. I watched some of Superman when it first aired. I thought it was decent. I remember the first episode with Metallo made me reconsider watching the show. I think I lost interest in some of the following episodes.

GrandeMaestro Fünke
01-02-2008, 08:53 PM
I used to watch Batman Beyond when it 1st come on TV. I remember thinking it was cool, but not AS cool as TAS.

The "Epilouge" episode of JLU was badass, though. I watched some of Superman when it first aired. I thought it was decent. I remember the first episode with Metallo made me reconsider watching the show. I think I lost interest in some of the following episodes.

Yeah Superman had ups and downs. It's mainly the Darkseid and Brainac episodes that had connections to JLU.

There was also a Justice League two parter in Static Shock, you might want to see if you can watch it on youtube or something. It's not great, but it's another funnish episode.

Georgie
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Supergirl was featured a lot in JL, right? I seem to remember an episode with

her falling in love and staying with, a new Brainiac or something?

Are they many other cameos and whatnot in JL?

I almost just want to go get Batman: TAS Vol. 4 just so I can have the episodes with all the characters I like. But I feel wrong doing that.

GrandeMaestro Fünke
01-02-2008, 08:59 PM

I almost just want to go get Batman: TAS Vol. 4 just so I can have the episodes with all the characters I like. But I feel wrong doing that.

What do mean by cameos like that?

There's quite a few guest stars if that's what you mean. Like Lobo, Kilowag, and the a homage to the JSA. Supergirl, Robin, and Batgirl appear in the background of episodes, but don't talk.

Georgie
01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
What do mean by cameos like that?

There's quite a few guest stars if that's what you mean. Like Lobo, Kilowag, and the a homage to the JSA. Supergirl, Robin, and Batgirl appear in the background of episodes, but don't talk.

That's cool. I guess I'm just spoiled with JLU. So many characters, and most of them were developed extremely well. It was always fun to see who was going to show up next.

Matthew Brown
01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
I remember a pretty good episode involving mostly just Superman. He was stuck in the future under the Earth's now red Sun and met Earth's last inhabitant, a repentant Vandal Savage.

The Human Target
01-02-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't think Flash gets anywhere near as much screen time as the rest of em in JL.

Matthew Brown
01-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I don't think Flash gets anywhere near as much screen time as the rest of em in JL.

Yeah, I think all his better moments were in JLU.

GrandeMaestro Fünke
01-02-2008, 09:04 PM

There weren't any episodes focusing on him, but he was usually a supporting character in almost every episode.

Georgie
01-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I think all his better moments were in JLU.

Well, he had some fucking badass moments at the end of Season One (or two, if you count Vol. 1 as the 1st two seasons).

But that sucks, though. Flash is probably my favorite of the founding 7. How about Manhunter?

GrandeMaestro Fünke
01-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Well, he had some fucking badass moments at the end of Season One (or two, if you count Vol. 1 as the 1st two seasons).

But that sucks, though. Flash is probably my favorite of the founding 7. How about Manhunter?

The pilot is kind of focused on him. He has a lot of character moments in season one.

Georgie
01-02-2008, 09:10 PM
The pilot is kind of focused on him. He has a lot of character moments in season one.

Nice...

But now I'm torn...Do I get the JL DVDs, do I get Batman: TAS Vol. 4 so I can have my Batgirl, Nightwing, Robin fix, or do I go straight from the beginning with Batman, even though it's much more expensive...

sigh...

The Human Target
01-02-2008, 09:14 PM

That happened to Supergirl in JLU, not JL.

I'd say go with Batman 4 myself.

Georgie
01-02-2008, 09:19 PM
That happened to Supergirl in JLU, not JL.

I'd say go with Batman 4 myself.

Bah, that hasn't happened yet in JLU for me. Well, I know what's going to happen in the next 6 episodes...Oh well. I'd all ready seen that episode.

Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards Vol 4 of TAS.

Georgie
01-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Hmmm, after doing some research, it looks like Babs shows up 1/2 through TAS Vol. 2 in the episode "Heart of Steel".

Man, tough call.

Anyway, I'm done for the night. Gonna go watch a few eps of JLU and call it a night.

Evan Wiener
01-03-2008, 06:27 AM
I have all the Batman series, Superman series and Justice League/JLU sets. JLU knocked my socks off. I'm also partial to the early Batman animated series, because the characters and villains were so well-defined and distilled to what made them great. I can't think of any members of the Batman villains that weren't characterized perfectly. They even did a decent Penguin, although he visually does resemble the Danny DeVito Batman Returns Penguin a little to much.

I liked season 4 of batman, but not as much as the noir style of the earlier seasons. It has a more kid-friendly Saturday Morning TV feel, but if that's your cup of tea, go for it. But you're missing out by checking out the great episodes from the earlier seasons.

The first two seasons of Justice League were pretty good. They had some trouble figuring out how to challenge a team with Superman on it, so many times he gets taken out early to make the battle feel like a challenge for them.

Overall, the show is great, and rarely misses a beat. You just can't go wrong with any DCU animated series. They're all good, and some achieve animation greatness.

I can see why Bruce Timm would be tired of DC animated series. His batman is the DC equivalent to Mark bagley's Spider-man.

Georgie
01-03-2008, 07:05 AM
I have all the Batman series, Superman series and Justice League/JLU sets. JLU knocked my socks off. I'm also partial to the early Batman animated series, because the characters and villains were so well-defined and distilled to what made them great. I can't think of any members of the Batman villains that weren't characterized perfectly. They even did a decent Penguin, although he visually does resemble the Danny DeVito Batman Returns Penguin a little to much.

I liked season 4 of batman, but not as much as the noir style of the earlier seasons. It has a more kid-friendly Saturday Morning TV feel, but if that's your cup of tea, go for it. But you're missing out by checking out the great episodes from the earlier seasons.

The first two seasons of Justice League were pretty good. They had some trouble figuring out how to challenge a team with Superman on it, so many times he gets taken out early to make the battle feel like a challenge for them.

Overall, the show is great, and rarely misses a beat. You just can't go wrong with any DCU animated series. They're all good, and some achieve animation greatness.

I can see why Bruce Timm would be tired of DC animated series. His batman is the DC equivalent to Mark bagley's Spider-man.

I've seen more of Batman: TAS than I have of anything else, including JLU. I've always liked Batman, as a character, but I find myself more interested in his "sidekicks" and I always have. I've actually always been a sidekick fan more than the hero. When I was like 9 I was all about collecting the Robin comic, right when Drake first started. That's why I'm leaning towards Vol. 4. Back when I was still able to afford monthly titles, I bought Nightwing, Robin, and Batgirl (even though I wasn't really into it because it's not Babs), and I just got the 1st trade of Birds of Prey.

I love the idea of these 3 kids (to use the term loosely) all in the big shadow of Batman.

Plus I have a comic book crush on Batgirl...Not as bad as Ray is about Supergirl, but still...

I do, however, really want "All Most Got Him" on DVD. That episode was fantastic.

Evan Wiener
01-03-2008, 07:07 AM
I've seen more of Batman: TAS than I have of anything else, including JLU. I've always liked Batman, as a character, but I find myself more interested in his "sidekicks" and I always have. I've actually always been a sidekick fan more than the hero. When I was like 9 I was all about collecting the Robin comic, right when Drake first started. That's why I'm leaning towards Vol. 4. Back when I was still able to afford monthly titles, I bought Nightwing, Robin, and Batgirl (even though I wasn't really into it because it's not Babs), and I just got the 1st trade of Birds of Prey.

I love the idea of these 3 kids (to use the term loosely) all in the big shadow of Batman.

Plus I have a comic book crush on Batgirl...Not as bad as Ray is about Supergirl, but still...

I do, however, really want "All Most Got Him" on DVD. That episode was fantastic.

Yeah, you really do. Love that episode so much.

Georgie
01-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Yeah, you really do. Love that episode so much.

And, in the DCAU, Twoface was the one who killed Dick's parents, right? Am I remembering that correctly, or am I just confusing it was the god awful live action?

I seem to remember Robin dragging him (or however actually killed his parents) down the docks while he was on his bike. That solidified my love for Dick Grayson.

That almost sounded wrong.

Bill Nolan
01-03-2008, 07:09 AM
I really can't imagine watching JLU without having watched the Superman series first. It's a straight continuation. I would think parts of JLU would not make a lick of sense without watching Superman first, then Justice League, and then JLU. :mistrust:

Georgie
01-03-2008, 07:16 AM
I really can't imagine watching JLU without having watched the Superman series first. It's a straight continuation. I would think parts of JLU would not make a lick of sense without watching Superman first, then Justice League, and then JLU. :mistrust:

There were a few things I wasn't too sure on. I kinda figured out about the Thanagarians and some of the stuff Lex talked about. I was a bit confused on if Lois knew about Superman being Clark and whatnot, but I think I picked most of it up.

I know a little about a lot in the DCAU, just from watching episodes here and there and whatnot. Because I remember the Metallo episode, I geeked out when he showed up. I've only got the last 5 episodes left (watched the Brain Switch and Grudge Match last night), and I'm so sad it's coming to an end.

Lord Jermaine Retail
01-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Batman probably gets the least amount of time out of the seven founders. It's pretty much a team show. Plus a lot of it ties into JLU. I'd reccomend it,but don't expect it to be as good as JLU.

No, it isn't as good because they were still deciding what type of program Justice League would be. But JL absolutely has ties to JLU, especially later JL episodes once they tightened things up. Depending on how much you are enjoying JLU, Batman the Animated Series and Superman the Animated series have strong payoffs if you know what you're looking at. So, if you are so inclined, watch everything!

mattbrand
01-03-2008, 07:26 AM
I never have seen Superman, but I definitely watched all of JL before JLU. Seems necessary to me to understand all the nuances of JLU.

Georgie
01-03-2008, 07:28 AM
I never have seen Superman, but I definitely watched all of JL before JLU. Seems necessary to me to understand all the nuances of JLU.

It makes sense, but like I stated before, I'm more into stories involving the "Weaker, lesser known" characters. I just find them 10 times more interesting. I'd rather watch Huntress fight with herself about killing Mandragora then Superman battle Lex Luthor again.

Georgie
01-03-2008, 07:29 AM
No, it isn't as good because they were still deciding what type of program Justice League would be. But JL absolutely has ties to JLU, especially later JL episodes once they tightened things up. Depending on how much you are enjoying JLU, Batman the Animated Series and Superman the Animated series have strong payoffs if you know what you're looking at. So, if you are so inclined, watch everything!

I wish I could watch everything, but all the Batman series average out to $30 a pop. JL is about the same, and I'd imagine Superman is as well. I don't have that much money!

PatrickA
01-03-2008, 07:37 AM
If you have Boom (which is a spin off of Cartoon Network) they are showing JLU every night. Just fyi.

mattbrand
01-03-2008, 07:39 AM
It makes sense, but like I stated before, I'm more into stories involving the "Weaker, lesser known" characters. I just find them 10 times more interesting. I'd rather watch Huntress fight with herself about killing Mandragora then Superman battle Lex Luthor again.

Well sure, I can understand that. But the underlying plot threads that weave in and out of all the episodes really are strengthened by knowing the past of the major characters.

Georgie
01-03-2008, 07:39 AM
If you have Boom (which is a spin off of Cartoon Network) they are showing JLU every night. Just fyi.

Yeah, I do. But, I recently had back surgery, so I needed something good to watch on DVD. I went with both volumes of JLU because I'd seen a few, and I loved the ones I'd seen. Of course, the ones I had seen previously had just happened to be the ones focusing on Black Canary, Green Arrow, Huntress, and The Question. I was bummed to find out I'd seen all of those episodes, minus Cat and the Canary.

It was ok, though, because there are tons of other great episodes featuring ALL the characters.

Also, ToonDisney shows Batman: TAS and Superman everynight, at I think the same time as JLU.

Georgie
01-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Well sure, I can understand that. But the underlying plot threads that weave in and out of all the episodes really are strengthened by knowing the past of the major characters.

Oh, I'm sure they do.

And if I was more invested in some of these characters, I'm sure it would've bugged me more than it did. However, this, along with me reading New Frontier about a month ago, is my first real shot at DC aside from Nightwing and Robin.

If it were an X-Men cartoon, or an Avengers cartoon, or something Marvel, a company of characters I've followed since I was 5, there'd be no way I'd have picked the last series in the whole group.

Lord Jermaine Retail
01-03-2008, 07:47 AM

The final episode of Superman Animated was key to so much. Spoilers:

Darkseid finally got Superman and brainwashed him into thinking he was the champion of Apokolips and had him attack the Earth (while making sure that Superman's emblem was clearly visible) for a win-win scenario. At best Superman conquered the Earth and at worst Superman was discredited in front of the people he swore to protect. Superman overcame Darkseid, but the damage was done and his standing with the world was never quite the same. That plugs into the changes in Professor Hamilton in JLU because he never forgot the time when his friend Superman caused so much destruction.

Georgie
01-03-2008, 07:51 AM

Darkseid finally got Superman and brainwashed him into thinking he was the champion of Apokolips and had him attack the Earth (while making sure that Superman's emblem was clearly visible) for a win-win scenario. At best Superman conquered the Earth and at worst Superman was discredited in front of the people he swore to protect. Superman overcame Darkseid, but the damage was done and his standing with the world was never quite the same. That plugs into the changes in Professor Hamilton in JLU because he never forgot the time when his friend Superman caused so much destruction.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't know that. But it still didn't take too much away from my enjoyment of the show.

mattbrand
01-03-2008, 07:53 AM

Cool man! I didn't know they were linked. I will put them on my netflix queue and watch them. (I didn't read your spoilers though ;) )

Thanks for the info.

Bill Nolan
01-03-2008, 07:56 AM
The Superman-Darkseid "saga" also comes up in the JL episode with Brainiac attack Apokalyps.

Xorn
01-03-2008, 08:03 AM
I wish I could watch everything, but all the Batman series average out to $30 a pop. JL is about the same, and I'd imagine Superman is as well. I don't have that much money!

dunno, but you should check best buy out, some time ago, maybe 5 months ago, they had batman beyond und jla relatively cheap, I am talking of 15 -20 bucks a pop.
My sister brings back a season of one of the dcu shows everytime she is in the states.
so I have batman 1 and 2, superman 1, jlu 1 and superfriends.
soon, i'll be in the states and think catch up with some of the rest of it.
Legion sounds like fun, too. If you have not diccovered this one for yourself.

Lord Jermaine Retail
01-03-2008, 08:05 AM
The Superman-Darkseid "saga" also comes up in the JL episode with Brainiac attack Apokalyps.

Absolutely.

I hate that I spoiled something cool, but maybe now a few people will go see for themselves so it was worth it.

JMP
01-03-2008, 08:41 AM
As for JL vs. JLU, it's a bit of a toss-up really.

The first season of JL was definitely uneven, they were still trying to balance action and the characters and having everything make sense in the DCAU.

The second season, though, was fantastic. I think they really hit it out of the park. But if you like huge amounts of characters, JLU is probably best, and I enjoyed it more. I just wished they carried over the hour long format from the JL show, I think it would have helped some of the plots. But then again, you can't go wrong with Dr. Cox riding around in Wonder Woman's cleavage.

And really, any of the B:TAS seasons are good to pick up. Volume 4 might be a bit "kiddier" in look, but it also contained one of the darkest episodes in the whole Batman run: "Over the Edge"

mattbrand
01-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Were there 4 seasons of BTAS?

JMP
01-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Were there 4 seasons of BTAS?

It's been so long, that I've forgotten how many seasons of B:TAS were made and how many seasons of The Adventures of Batman & Robin, and how many of New Batman Adventures, etc.

According to Wiki there was 1 long B:TAS season, one long season of AB&R, and 2 short NBA seasons.

I just tend to group them all together and call them "seaons" since they all contain the same packaging in DVD form.

mattbrand
01-03-2008, 08:51 AM
It's been so long, that I've forgotten how many seasons of B:TAS were made and how many seasons of The Adventures of Batman & Robin, and how many of New Batman Adventures, etc.

According to Wiki there was 1 long B:TAS season, one long season of AB&R, and 2 short NBA seasons.

I just tend to group them all together and call them "seaons" since they all contain the same packaging in DVD form.

OK. I'm curious because my wife gave me volumes 1-3 of BTAS for Christmas, and I was wondering how many more there are. I guess I can just look on Amazon.

JMP
01-03-2008, 08:58 AM
OK. I'm curious because my wife gave me volumes 1-3 of BTAS for Christmas, and I was wondering how many more there are. I guess I can just look on Amazon.

I believe one more, containing the New Batman Adventures episodes, and maybe any Adventures of Batman & Robin episodes left over from Vol. 3

mattbrand
01-03-2008, 09:10 AM
I believe one more, containing the New Batman Adventures episodes, and maybe any Adventures of Batman & Robin episodes left over from Vol. 3

Yeah it looks like volume 4 and that's it. I'll probably pick it up eventually.