PDA

View Full Version : Any one in sales?

Shane W
01-02-2008, 01:07 PM
I have a chance at a sales gig (real sales, not telemarketing) selling cable ad space. Does any one here have any suggestions on a survival guide? I know all of the staff since I've worked there a better part of a decade and have received some decent advice on how to get along, but I wanted to see what some of you guys use or have learned.

arthurloewenkamp
01-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Knee pads

Rick America
Yes...make your quota --- regularly. If you do that, anything else is secondary. If you cannot do that, anything else does not matter.

Shane W
Knee pads

That bad huh?

gibbEy
01-02-2008, 01:10 PM
A.

B.

C.

Gordon Chumway
01-02-2008, 01:10 PM
I do, but it's odd because I work with the state, so I don't have to seek out customers. I provide schools with text books and book fairs. Best job I ever had (we're about 3 months away from going bankrupt).

KingMob
01-02-2008, 01:11 PM
I used to be in sales all the way from college till I got this job. Although my last job wasnt that sales intensive, I still had add on sales and things of that nature. Before that I would rob people blind and sell them shit and rip them off for all they were worth, but then it got to me after a while.

Jim T.
01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Know your shit, in terms of what your selling and what your company will and will not do. I work as in-house counsel and deal with sales people all day. The ones that are successful are the ones that don't need to rely on people like Legal or other corporate support to get deals done. They establish a relationship with the customer, handle any speedbumps themselves and don't need handholding to get their job done. The ones that can't do that are not only colossal pains in the asses, but they don't last very long.

Rick America
01-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Know your shit, in terms of what your selling and what your company will and will not do. I work as in-house counsel and deal with sales people all day. The ones that are successful are the ones that don't need to rely on people like Legal or other corporate support to get deals done. They establish a relationship with the customer, handle any speedbumps themselves and don't need handholding to get their job done. The ones that can't do that are not only colossal pains in the asses, but they don't last very long.

Word...

Also, learn your customers' business...know what your product means to that business in their business terms...if it's a bank, here is what it means to a bank...otherwise, you are selling a "commodity", and that way lies true hell...

KingMob
01-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Know your shit.

yep, and if you are on sole commission especially.

Good luck, I could only hack it for about a year. :lol:

What you are doing doesnt sound terrible though either they want ads or not right? I would go over what people have done previously and see if there is a quota or how time involved its going to be and go from there.

Nick Spencer
01-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Persistence.

ABC is, for as cliched as it may be, a very good way to think.

The Dean
01-02-2008, 02:06 PM
I work on the ad production side of things at TV station and I sell the client's products (not the actual "sale" of the ad.) I see what sales people go through on a daily basis; I see how tough and how rewarding it can be.

If you're a good sales person, life can be great. If you're not, life can be hell on Earth. The problem is, so many things are out of your control and you can be king one minute and the scape goat the next. I've seen top reps get canned because a large account reworked their budget and decided not to run television ads for a month.

Glen Garry GlenRoss is very similar to what the life of a sales person can be like. I've seen many sales people go American Beauty after years "in the game." However, I see a lot of sales people with second homes, eating lobster and betting more on golf games than I make in two years.

You'll need great people skills, the ability to become someone's friend the moment you meet them, know how to bullshit a bullshitter, how to kiss ass, and tell someone what to do in the same breath and most of all- thick skin.

Gordon Chumway
01-02-2008, 02:11 PM
I work on the ad production side of things at TV station and I sell the client's products (not the actual "sale" of the ad.) I see what sales people go through on a daily basis; I see how tough and how rewarding it can be.

If you're a good sales person, life can be great. If you're not, life can be hell on Earth. The problem is, so many things are out of your control and you can be king one minute and the scape goat the next. I've seen top reps get canned because a large account reworked their budget and decided not to run television ads for a month.

Glen Garry GlenRoss is very similar to what the life of a sales person can be like. I've seen many sales people go American Beauty after years "in the game." However, I see a lot of sales people with second homes, eating lobster and betting more on golf games than I make in two years.

You'll need great people skills, the ability to become someone's friend the moment you meet them, know how to bullshit a bullshitter, how to kiss ass, and tell someone what to do in the same breath and most of all- thick skin.

Screw Glen Garry Glen Ross, rent Boiler Room.

The Dean
01-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Screw Glen Garry Glen Ross, rent Boiler Room.

Good call but Boiler Room even quotes GGGR...

Gordon Chumway
01-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Good call but Boiler Room even quotes GGGR...

I know it does, but it's still better. You either sling crack rock or you got a wicked jump shot.

arthurloewenkamp
01-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Act as if. Act as if you've got a nine inch cock.

Ben's training scenes were great.

Beep Beep!
01-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I have a chance at a sales gig (real sales, not telemarketing) selling cable ad space. Does any one here have any suggestions on a survival guide? I know all of the staff since I've worked there a better part of a decade and have received some decent advice on how to get along, but I wanted to see what some of you guys use or have learned.
I sold classified advertising (inside sales) for a major newspaper for 5 years. ALWAYS remember your only purpose is to increase revenue and in my case, increase lineage, or whatever it is you are selling.

I had a situation once where someone in production canceled an ad because there was a problem with their camera ready material. He didn't understand that a canceled ad got no revenue, and that we could set the ad ourselves and run that material, then give the guy a free run with the correct material . . . and we would still have his money. Clueless with a capital C.

Keith P.
01-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Know your product.

Credibility is EVERYTHING in sales.