PDA

View Full Version : Are the Flash's kids sticking around?

Mylazycat
12-28-2007, 09:11 AM
I don't see them mentioned in the March issue #238 preview and notice Waid is off with that issue.

I can't stand those kids and I'm about to drop the title because of them.

allanpat
12-28-2007, 09:12 AM
maybe they get Mephisted

Mylazycat
12-28-2007, 09:28 AM
maybe they get Mephisted

I can only hope.

Dreg
12-28-2007, 10:35 AM
I'd like to see them stick around, but depowered. I didn't wait a year for Wally's return to have this turn into a team book.

I like seeing Wally as a father, though, and think the kids are occasionally entertaining.

sonnylarue
12-28-2007, 10:53 AM
I hope the take the Ray Romano approach to the kids "it's not about them"

Deej
12-28-2007, 11:01 AM
I don't think the kids suck at all. The problem is that everyone was expecting some kick ass villains to start off Waid's run...and he came up with some lame water aliens. It's obvious Waid couldn't use the Rogues because of what's going on in other titles...

BCD
12-28-2007, 11:27 AM
I don't think the kids suck at all. The problem is that everyone was expecting some kick ass villains to start off Waid's run...and he came up with some lame water aliens. It's obvious Waid couldn't use the Rogues because of what's going on in other titles...

How weird is that? The Rogues are very much the supporting cast of the Flash. They wouldn't pull that shit with Batman.

I liked the idea of Wally and Linda as parents, but a big part of that was I wanted to see them learning and figuring it out along the way. I kind of understand why the kids were aged, since there is only so much that can be done with infants, and you can't age them naturally without bringing up the headache of why the TT aren't getting older, why Bruce Wayne isn't an octogenarian, etc.

Dreg
12-28-2007, 11:50 AM

Geoff Johns is supposed to be doing yet another mini with them, so they might be returning to the main title later rather than sooner.

Ray G.
12-28-2007, 11:52 AM
God, I hope not.

Worst two characters of the year. They're truly insufferable.

Dreg
12-28-2007, 11:58 AM
God, I hope not.

Worst two characters of the year. They're truly insufferable.

Which year did Miss Martian debut?

Deej
12-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Which year did Miss Martian debut?

She's been pretty bad too. My vote would be for either Chris Kent or the "Third" Kryptonian. Truly both wastes to the Superman comics.

Ray G.
12-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Miss Martian debuted in 2006.

She was pretty much a cipher under Johns, but McKeever has been doing some good stuff with her.

Mylazycat
12-28-2007, 03:04 PM
She's been pretty bad too. My vote would be for either Chris Kent or the "Third" Kryptonian. Truly both wastes to the Superman comics.

This does appear to have been the Year Of The Offspring at DC. At least we didn't get Kid Green Lantern.

Ray G.
12-28-2007, 03:07 PM
This does appear to have been the Year Of The Offspring at DC. At least we didn't get Kid Green Lantern.

Green Lanterns have to be chosen as suitable to wield the weapon, so that makes it a bit harder. With all the new Corps, I'd be surprised if we didn't get one at some point, but they'd have to sell a teenage Lantern pretty well.

And the fiasco of Iris and Jai, Chris Kent, and Damien Wayne pretty much proves that superheroes and young kids don't really mix. Unless you're the Fantastic Four.

ZombieSpeedball
12-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Maybe we can kill them Bart Allen style. Because when something doesn't work for the Flash, kill it and act like nothing happened. :-x

Damn Didio.

The Hodag
12-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I can't stand the kids. I like the idea of an Incredibles-style family of superheroes, but honestly, I'd much rather see it with some original characters or, y'know, a kickass, licensed Incredibles comic written by Paul Dini (in heartwarming-yet-sly mode).

Problem with the kids is a bit like the problem with superhero marriage: once you introduce 'em, they're damn hard to get rid of in a way that's not dispicable. That's why I agree with Cranky Old Man, John Byrne on this one: I want change by editorial fiat. No explanations, no continuity entangling time warps...just fucking change things back to the way they were when things were good. One issue you'd have to two super-kids running around, the next they'd be gone without a whisper and it'd be back to the good time adventures of Wally West.

Continuity schmontinuity. Why jump through all the convoluted retconning just to get someplace most everyone wants anyway? Just be there.

Mylazycat
12-28-2007, 03:38 PM
One issue you'd have to two super-kids running around, the next they'd be gone without a whisper and it'd be back to the.

It worked for Happy Days.

ZombieSpeedball
12-28-2007, 03:40 PM

They're gonna go up the stairs and never return?

Maybe Wally should jump over a shark pretty soon.

The Hodag
12-28-2007, 03:42 PM

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/908/fonzkn5.jpg

ZombieSpeedball
12-28-2007, 04:02 PM
I have an idea. Let's make them start a new superteam alongside Damien Wayne and make them fight Lobo.

Barry Hollifield
12-28-2007, 04:08 PM
The Flash has always been one of my favorite characters,and Waid one of my favorite writers,but GOD HOW THIS STORYLINE SUCKS!!! Get rid of the kids :twisted:

The Hodag
12-28-2007, 04:10 PM
I have an idea. Let's make them start a new superteam alongside Damien Wayne and make them fight Lobo.

I could be down with that. Finally, a use for Lobo!

Barry Hollifield
12-28-2007, 04:16 PM
I could be down with that. Finally, a use for Lobo!

No....there's still no use for Lobo....sorry

Sy-Klone
12-28-2007, 04:42 PM
I don't mind the kids in theory, but I really dislike that they're precocious 10 year olds.

It's like Cousin Oliver all over again, but there are two of them and Mr. Brady can't attend Greg's graduation because Sherwood Schwartz banned him from the set because he complained so much about the lack of realism.

The Hodag
12-28-2007, 05:21 PM
No....there's still no use for Lobo....sorry

I thought he made a good comedic foil when they toned him down for the Superman cartoon. Dini's writing was on that day.

Ashton
12-28-2007, 06:40 PM
I finally gave up on this and dropped it.

hveasey1213
12-28-2007, 07:36 PM
The Flash has always been one of my favorite characters,and Waid one of my favorite writers,but GOD HOW THIS STORYLINE SUCKS!!! Get rid of the kids :twisted:

I completely agree. I don't understand how this story could've turned out so horrible. The only saving grace has been those back-ups about the alien race's interaction with various Flashes and even those haven't been particularly good, just 10x better than the main storyline.