PDA

View Full Version : Grindhouse still kicks ass

Evan the Shaggy
12-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Looking back at all the movies of 2007, I can't think of a better time at the movies than this.

Its a tragedy it didn't do well and its a tragedy it hasn't gotten the proper dvd release yet.

So much fun.

bartleby
12-23-2007, 06:28 PM
The "proper" way to release GRINDHOUSE on DVD would be to not release it at all.

Kody
12-23-2007, 06:32 PM
I liked it so much, I went twice. :D

And I'd have gone a third time if I could have.

Ryan Elliott
12-23-2007, 06:48 PM

What stopped you?

Kody
12-23-2007, 06:52 PM
What stopped you?

IT tanked, and the theater pulled it after a week.

Ryan Elliott
12-23-2007, 06:52 PM

Oh. That sucks.

MAK15
12-23-2007, 06:53 PM

I went Three times.

:rock:

MAK15
12-23-2007, 06:54 PM

your community clearly needs to be re-educated on fine cinema.

Kody
12-23-2007, 06:55 PM
your community clearly needs to be re-educated on fine cinema.

Saymama is the theater manager. You should school her.

:D

Ryan Elliott
12-23-2007, 06:56 PM

:scared:

:heybaby:

MAK15
12-23-2007, 06:59 PM

Bring it on.

jess
12-23-2007, 07:04 PM
i concur. badASS flicks.

THWIP!
12-23-2007, 07:04 PM
I saw it three consecutive weekends in a row I loved it so much. Best time I've had in a movie theater ever. Each of the three times.

MAK15
12-23-2007, 07:07 PM
I saw it three consecutive weekends in a row I loved it so much. Best time I've had in a movie theater ever. Each of the three times.

the trailers were glorious.
andthe wimmen of Deathproof were fantastic.
and the cars of Deathproof...amazing what they can do without cg.

Mylazycat
12-23-2007, 07:29 PM
This was indeed the most fun I had at the movie threatre all year. It was a glorious night.

TonyFleecs
12-23-2007, 07:57 PM
I thought it was a blast.

Donal DeLay
12-23-2007, 07:59 PM
I can't wait until they release the double disc Grindhouse set.

Hopefully.

Well, RR said they were going to on the film school commentary on Planet Terror and that it would have a BBQ 10 minute Cooking School.

XXXenophile
12-23-2007, 08:47 PM
They better do an awesome double dip if they do release it as a double feature.

I've got the 2-Disc releases of both movies, still haven't watched them yet, but am planning on it during this weekend.

Or worst case, next 4 day weekend for New Years.

King of Mars
12-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Death Proof is the film that convinced me Tarantino may be the most overrated director in the business. Also, everyone involved with the release of the Grindhouse films on video should be ashamed of themselves for not including the fake trailers.

MAK15
12-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Death Proof is the film that convinced me Tarantino may be the most overrated director in the business. Also, everyone involved with the release of the Grindhouse films on video should be ashamed of themselves for not including the fake trailers.

the highlighted part is the only part of this post that I agree with.

Kody
12-24-2007, 05:37 AM
I think it's pretty obvious they're going to eventually do a collected edition with both films, and that's the one that'll have the trailers.

King of Mars
12-24-2007, 05:39 AM
I think it's pretty obvious they're going to eventually do a collected edition with both films, and that's the one that'll have the trailers.Yeah, that is obvious, and it's lame because it prevents a lot of people from seeing them.

Doug
12-24-2007, 05:54 AM

Tarantino to me is good, but not great. I've enjoyed his movies, but Death Proof is his one film that I activley didn't like. It had one really great scene to me (the car crash), but I didn't like anything else about it.

Planet Terror on the other hand I loved. Robert Rodriguez just makes some very fun movies and the extras on his DVDs are always fun to watch and listen to.

I am also pissed that the current DVDs don't have the fake trailers. Rodriguez did confirm that there will be a special edition of Grindhouse released later on a few of the extras on the Planet Terror DVD (his commentary and 10 Minuet Film School).

RebootedCorpse
12-24-2007, 06:57 AM
Great flick. Most fun I've had at a movie in a loooong time.

Fake Pat
12-24-2007, 07:26 AM
I think it's pretty obvious they're going to eventually do a collected edition with both films, and that's the one that'll have the trailers.

That was what I assumed they'd do with Kill Bill.

But I'm still waiting.

Kody
12-24-2007, 07:29 AM
That was what I assumed they'd do with Kill Bill.

But I'm still waiting.

But Kill Bill was two different movies, not a double feature.

Benel Germosen
12-24-2007, 07:34 AM

Kill Bill was the same film cut in half.

That said: I enjoyed Planet Terror because, not only was it enjoyable, but it stuck to the original concept of what Tarentino convinced Rodriguez to do, which Tarentino didn't do himself, which was make a film in the classic low budget b-movie style, missing reel and all. Though Tarentino did have a missing real, his cut of the film was too polish.

Oh and Rodriguez didn't make a film with three chicks talking for forty five minute chunks. That was neat too.

Fake Pat
12-24-2007, 07:37 AM

And we all know how studios NEVER put out DVD sets of popular films by cult directors with their sequels with extra stuff.

(and Kill Bill was only two movies because of Miramax)

Tom Burgos
12-24-2007, 07:47 AM
GRINDHOUSE is indeed a fantastic film, and Death Proof truly one of my favorite film experiences of 2007.
(And a close second in my fave Tarantino films list, after the gloriously kickass Kill Bill)

Marcdachamp
12-24-2007, 07:56 AM
I never got the opportunity in theaters, sadly. I'm waiting until they're released together to buy them, too.

Genius J
12-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Watching Grindhouse was probably the most fun I've had in a movie theatre in a long time.

I refuse to buy the DVDs until the release a complete set that has all the trailers and stuff like I saw in the theatre.

Akira
12-24-2007, 10:53 AM

Yes, god. Single handedly re-affirmed why I love the medium of film and the cinema going experience.

Kody
12-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Kill Bill was the same film cut in half.

Obviously.

But Kill Bill it was released in theaters as two separate films, and edited as such. Grindhouse was released as a double feature, two films in one sitting. I'd say the odds of a Grindhouse set is far more likely than a Kill Bill set. No reason to have a Kill Bill set unless Tarantino decides to do a director's cut, and from all the interviews I've read, he prefers sticking with the original cuts on his films.

GelfXIII
12-24-2007, 11:20 AM
I dunno. I was not thrilled with it, but then I only got to see it on DVD, split into 2 movies. I liked the planet Terror one well enough, although I was heartily sick of the old film effect by the time it was done, but the Deathproof one bored the spit out of me, I'm afraid.

RegularJoe
12-24-2007, 11:49 AM
i liked half of it.

Bedlam66
12-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Planet terror was Awesome but Deathproof Sucked. well most of it sucked. there was boaut 25mins worth of combined decent footage.

BURKE
12-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Watching Grindhouse was probably the most fun I've had in a movie theatre in a long time.

I refuse to buy the DVDs until the release a complete set that has all the trailers and stuff like I saw in the theatre.

PREACH IT BROTHER. I am doing the same thing.

Rosdower 3.0
12-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Obviously.

But Kill Bill it was released in theaters as two separate films, and edited as such. Grindhouse was released as a double feature, two films in one sitting. I'd say the odds of a Grindhouse set is far more likely than a Kill Bill set. No reason to have a Kill Bill set unless Tarantino decides to do a director's cut, and from all the interviews I've read, he prefers sticking with the original cuts on his films.

It was cut and edited as two movies after Miramax forced that to happen. The original intention of Kill Bill was to have one long ass movie that was over 3 hours long.

He wanted a saga, got cut into two movies (he was ok with that) then said he was going to cut it back into one long movie for another theatrical release...then smoked more pot and forgot about it...and that's where we're at now.

Mylazycat
12-25-2007, 02:19 PM
It's tough about Death Proof when you're seeing it on DVD, not in a packed theatre with an apreciative crowd, not immediately following the first film and the trailers. It's out of context. I honestly this this is one of those times a person was meant to see a film in the theatre and in a theatre only to get the sheer giddy feeling of seeing two full back to back movies with the surprise of the trailers. It loses a lot broken up on seperate DVDs with no trailers, in one's home. My opinion, anyway.

Nick Spencer
12-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Crazy Babysitter Twins.

http://a884.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/53/l_84b8b2fa63da853a087ff486a23d7c0b.jpg

http://a538.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/63/l_b20b3dbc5e65a373acd644de001d03e1.jpg

http://a510.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/64/l_6c1f3044a73b08adf233287ab3574b1d.jpg

That is all.

ManOfMiracles
12-25-2007, 03:18 PM
I recently watched Planet Terror on DVD with the 'Crowd response' turned on, Hilarity ensued, the biggest pops were actually for the Machete trailer and the 'deleted' sex reel.

Supreme Convoy
12-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Didn't exactly like Death Proof in the theater but I'd love to see it again.

But Planet Terror was insanely good.

Marcdachamp
12-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Crazy Babysitter Twins.

http://a884.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/53/l_84b8b2fa63da853a087ff486a23d7c0b.jpg

http://a538.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/63/l_b20b3dbc5e65a373acd644de001d03e1.jpg

http://a510.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/64/l_6c1f3044a73b08adf233287ab3574b1d.jpg

That is all.

Merry Christmas to you, too, Spencer! God Bless!

Griever
12-25-2007, 05:36 PM
I liked planet terror, but deathproof should have ended when stuntman mike was in the hospital. The second half with the chicks just didn't work for me.

RebootedCorpse
12-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I liked planet terror, but deathproof should have ended when stuntman mike was in the hospital. The second half with the chicks just didn't work for me.

That was one of my favorite parts.

Nick Spencer
12-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Merry Christmas to you, too, Spencer! God Bless!

You're welcome. Those girls are... somethin else.

MAK15
12-25-2007, 07:16 PM
You're welcome. Those girls are... somethin else.

that was an awesome addition to this kick-ass thread, Spence.
And I'm happy to report that I got both Planet Terror and Deathproof this x-mas!

J. R. Scherer
12-25-2007, 08:39 PM
I really want to see a Machete movie.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/Mog_Elffoe/Movie%20Pics/machete.jpg
Trailer for Machete (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_U-Wcqb5II)
"They just fucked with the WRONG Mexican...!"

Mylazycat
12-25-2007, 09:14 PM

That would be pretty damn cool.

Hobo With A Shotgun would be my second choice.

XXXenophile
12-25-2007, 10:39 PM

That is one of Rodriguez's next projects I hear.

King of Mars
12-26-2007, 12:31 AM
That was one of my favorite parts.You liked watching four women sitting around spewing some of the worst dialogue ever committed to film?

Nick Spencer
12-26-2007, 12:34 AM
You liked watching four women sitting around spewing some of the worst dialogue ever committed to film?

I thought the dialogue was good, it just dragged on too long. Every scene in Death Proof is like that-- 5 minutes too long. Tarentino was obviously doing it on purpose, but I haven't figured out why-- probably has something to do with the films that inspired it.

J. R. Scherer
12-26-2007, 05:39 AM
You liked watching four women sitting around spewing some of the worst dialogue ever committed to film?

You may not have enjoyed Death Proof but that statement is ridiculous. One trip to any video store and I could find hundreds upon hundreds of movies with far worse dialogue than this movie. Shit, just watch any Sci-Fi Channel original.

Ethan Van Sciver
12-26-2007, 05:51 AM
I loved GRINDHOUSE with every fiber of my being. Pure trashy fun. I would have liked more little Drive In segments though...those were amazing. :)

RegularJoe
12-26-2007, 06:01 AM
Crazy Babysitter Twins.

That is all.

who the crap are they?

'cause, while hot, they're sisters and those are very incestuousy poses they're all decked out in.

Sean Jackson
12-26-2007, 09:48 AM
They had a free screening of this at work, had an entire screen at a theater rented out for it, and about 20 people showed up. That being said, it was great to see it with people who enjoyed it, in the theater, as it was meant to be.

RebootedCorpse
12-26-2007, 09:53 AM

You obviously don't like QT movies, why did you bother watching it?

Allgold
12-26-2007, 10:11 AM
You obviously don't like QT movies, why did you bother watching it?

Hey, I love Tarantino's movies, but I like dialouge about gangsters doin' some gangster shit.....not girls talking about whether they made out on the floor or the couch, Italina Vogue and other pointless shit for 45 minutes. I liked and own both movies but Planet Terror "got it" so, so much more than Quentins half.

I think maybe it would have worked better to have Tarantino's half first. After the bang-bang-bang of everything going on in PT, the fake trailers, the brakes are literally slammed when DP starts and the sloooooooooow burn to the climax of the story isn't worth it. I kept looking at my watch thinking "is anything going to happen in this movie, or what?" The girls of both parts were annoying as shit in the "look at me twirling my hair at the jukebox, I'm soooooooo fucking cool" or "Hey, I'm Sam Jackson Light!!!!"

Look, it's OK to not like a Tarantino film. This one stunk. Tarantino's worst film he's made, and a huge let down for a Tarantino film. The dialogue in this movie seemed so forced and scripted.

The car chase scene was of course awesome, but didn't do enough to redeem the slowness of everything getting to the point. I've seen Grindhouse genre films, and they're not dialogue pieces.

GelfXIII
12-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Hey, I love Tarantino's movies, but I like dialouge about gangsters doin' some gangster shit.....not girls talking about whether they made out on the floor or the couch, Italina Vogue and other pointless shit for 45 minutes. I liked and own both movies but Planet Terror "got it" so, so much more than Quentins half.

I think maybe it would have worked better to have Tarantino's half first. After the bang-bang-bang of everything going on in PT, the fake trailers, the brakes are literally slammed when DP starts and the sloooooooooow burn to the climax of the story isn't worth it. I kept looking at my watch thinking "is anything going to happen in this movie, or what?" The girls of both parts were annoying as shit in the "look at me twirling my hair at the jukebox, I'm soooooooo fucking cool" or "Hey, I'm Sam Jackson Light!!!!"

Look, it's OK to not like a Tarantino film. This one stunk. Tarantino's worst film he's made, and a huge let down for a Tarantino film. The dialogue in this movie seemed so forced and scripted.

The car chase scene was of course awesome, but didn't do enough to redeem the slowness of everything getting to the point. I've seen Grindhouse genre films, and they're not dialogue pieces.

Speaking as a HUUUUGE Tarantino fan... I second all of this.

Ethan Van Sciver
12-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Speaking as a HUUUUGE Tarantino fan... I second all of this.

I thought it was a VERY Tarantino film...merciless and pointless but funny and entertaining. Those girls kicked ass, and while I'll agree that the first half of DEATH PROOF was a little slow, it was still brutal, and the end of the film more than made up for the slow parts. And dude, it was TOTALLY evocative of late 60's and early 70's exploitation flix. Have to streeetttccch it out with dialogue to save on the budget.

And the song that plays over the main menu screen is still stuck in my head. :cool:

J. R. Scherer
12-26-2007, 10:30 AM
I've seen Grindhouse genre films, and they're not dialogue pieces.

There are actually plenty of them that are. Most of them had extremely limited budgets so all their money was spent on those one or two really friggin' cool scenes and the rest was boring crap with really bad actors standing around doing a whole bunch of nothing. Tarantino was clearly trying to evoke this with his Death Proof, and while I enjoy his movie overall, I do think it was the wrong way to go. With Planet Terror, Rodriguez was clearly making what grindhouse filmmakers would have made if they'd actually had the budget to do all of the crazy stuff that they wanted to, whereas, for some reason, Tarantino decided to play up the weakness of most of those films.

And you're right--it's perfectly okay not to like a Tarantino film. Not every movie is for every person.

Akira
12-26-2007, 10:42 AM
I thought it was a VERY Tarantino film...merciless and pointless but funny and entertaining. Those girls kicked ass, and while I'll agree that the first half of DEATH PROOF was a little slow, it was still brutal, and the end of the film more than made up for the slow parts. And dude, it was TOTALLY evocative of late 60's and early 70's exploitation flix. Have to streeetttccch it out with dialogue to save on the budget.

And the song that plays over the main menu screen is still stuck in my head. :cool:

I'm sure you won't care at all, but I have to say, I love you for saying everything I feel about Death Proof in a single post. :)

Ethan Van Sciver
12-26-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm sure you won't care at all, but I have to say, I love you for saying everything I feel about Death Proof in a single post. :)

I do care, and I love you too. :)

Akira
12-26-2007, 11:00 AM
I do care, and I love you too. :)

:heart:

Allgold
12-26-2007, 11:12 AM
There are actually plenty of them that are. Most of them had extremely limited budgets so all their money was spent on those one or two really friggin' cool scenes and the rest was boring crap with really bad actors standing around doing a whole bunch of nothing. Tarantino was clearly trying to evoke this with his Death Proof, and while I enjoy his movie overall, I do think it was the wrong way to go. With Planet Terror, Rodriguez was clearly making what grindhouse filmmakers would have made if they'd actually had the budget to do all of the crazy stuff that they wanted to, whereas, for some reason, Tarantino decided to play up the weakness of most of those films.

And you're right--it's perfectly okay not to like a Tarantino film. Not every movie is for every person.

You're dead on with your assesment of Rodriguez's half. That's why Tarantino's half was so disappointing to me.

Nick Spencer
12-26-2007, 11:22 AM
who the crap are they?

'cause, while hot, they're sisters and those are very incestuousy poses they're all decked out in.

Somehow, I don't think they're going to jail for it.

Society turns a blind eye to girl on girl incest, everybody knows that! Especially if they're twins.

Hell, the Milton Twins do porn together.

King of Mars
12-26-2007, 11:30 AM
You may not have enjoyed Death Proof but that statement is ridiculous. One trip to any video store and I could find hundreds upon hundreds of movies with far worse dialogue than this movie. Shit, just watch any Sci-Fi Channel original.I was exaggerating. However, it WAS strikingly bad dialogue.

J. R. Scherer
12-26-2007, 11:33 AM
I was exaggerating. However, it WAS strikingly bad dialogue.

Again, I think that's precisely what Tarantino was shooting for. Overall, the payoff of Death Proof makes trudging through that stuff worth it for me, but I can totally understand how it wouldn't work for others.

KingMob
12-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Again, I think that's precisely what Tarantino was shooting for.

he meant to make a total snoozer?

you remind me of gooch when he would talk about house of 1000 corpses!

King of Mars
12-26-2007, 11:41 AM

.I think you're giving the guy way too much credit. That crappy dialogue wasn't part of an effort to recreate a "grindhouse feel". It was part of an onscreen masturbatory session.

"Oooh...yeah, marvel at my distinctive, snappy dialogue. Ooooooh...I am so damn good at writin' that shit. Love me...love me for my grittiness and my film knowledge and all the funny things my characters say. Love m...auuugghh!"

*splooge*

*QT lights a smoke*

:)

KingMob
12-26-2007, 11:44 AM
plus if I want to see 4 bitches sitting around a table talking about god knows what for what seemed like 3 hours I'll turn on sex in the city.

J. R. Scherer
12-26-2007, 11:52 AM
he meant to make a total snoozer?

you remind me of gooch when he would talk about house of 1000 corpses!

Hey, now that it's on DVD I fast forward past that junk to car crashes and shit like that. I was bored in the theater, too, but I felt the ending of Death Proof made up for it.

RegularJoe
12-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Somehow, I don't think they're going to jail for it.

Society turns a blind eye to girl on girl incest, everybody knows that! Especially if they're twins.

Hell, the Milton Twins do porn together.

true...but, still, when i realized they were ACTUAL twins instead of just PLAYING twins...it kinda lost all appeal for me.

J. R. Scherer
12-26-2007, 11:53 AM
I think you're giving the guy way too much credit. That crappy dialogue wasn't part of an effort to recreate a "grindhouse feel". It was part of an onscreen masturbatory session.

"Oooh...yeah, marvel at my distinctive, snappy dialogue. Ooooooh...I am so damn good at writin' that shit. Love me...love me for my grittiness and my film knowledge and all the funny things my characters say. Love m...auuugghh!"

*splooge*

*QT lights a smoke*

:)

:? But that's what Tarantino's dialogue is like in all of his movies...

KingMob
12-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey, now that it's on DVD I fast forward past that junk to car crashes and shit like that. I was bored in the theater, too, but I felt the ending of Death Proof made up for it.

I did like when the girl's leg flew off and hit the street, that was funny.

Nick Spencer
12-26-2007, 12:11 PM
true...but, still, when i realized they were ACTUAL twins instead of just PLAYING twins...it kinda lost all appeal for me.

Really?

Cause that's when I saved them to my hard drive.

Sex with Twins is the American Dream-- it's even in beer commercials!

RegularJoe
12-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Really?

Cause that's when I saved them to my hard drive.

Sex with Twins is the American Dream-- it's even in beer commercials!

hey, to each their own, but two sisters making out makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Nick Spencer
12-26-2007, 01:16 PM
hey, to each their own, but two sisters making out makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Wow... I had no idea any guy ever actually felt that way. I mean, I get saying it to your girlfriend when she asks you if you think her sister's hot and you know it's a trap, but..

This calls for its own thread.

King of Mars
12-26-2007, 01:42 PM
:? But that's what Tarantino's dialogue is like in all of his movies...A guy can have a signature style and use it more/less effectively from project to project.

enobarbus
12-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Death Proof is easily one of the most boring movies I've ever suffered through.

Apparently, QT's deal with the devil expired around the same time as Kevin Smith's, and we see them now for the incredible mediocrities they truly are.

J. R. Scherer
12-26-2007, 03:11 PM
A guy can have a signature style and use it more/less effectively from project to project.

Of course. I'm with you on this for the most part. It clearly didn't bother me as much as you, but I did feel that it was a huge misstep on Tarantino's part.