PDA

View Full Version : Bru and Fraction's IRON FIST

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
12-20-2007, 09:15 AM
I was bored at Barnes and Noble and decided to peruse the first trade and all I can say is wow...

I was very impressed with the writing, and especially with the artwork. The art is freaking ridiculous in this book. I've been looking for books recently that would have the quality of say Astonishing X-Men, Ex Machina, Y The Last Man or Daredevil but that quality is sometimes very hard to come by. It requires the perfect synergy of writer and artist.

This book definitely did that. I'm very much looking forward to reading the rest of the issues. There are certain books at the top of the pile that get me excited in anticipation and this is probably now one of them.

How far along are they, btw?

Kenobi Fei-Hung
12-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Issue No. 11 came out yesterday. If you loved the first arc, wait until you start reading the second! Holy shit, this series is good.

Hell, good doesn't even describe it. Amazing, awesome, incredible are words that are close. How about holyfuckthisisfuckingamazingshit. That's an even better word for it.

Brad N.
12-20-2007, 09:27 AM
I can't believe there are people either not reading it or on the fence about it. Immortal Iron Fist is one of the five best books being published by any company, period. EVERYONE should be reading it.

jason hissong
12-20-2007, 09:41 AM
It seems as though this is something worth seeking.

greg donovan
12-20-2007, 11:13 AM
I can't believe there are people either not reading it or on the fence about it. Immortal Iron Fist is one of the five best books being published by any company, period. EVERYONE should be reading it.

i think it is really cool to see it on so many peoples lists in the weekly shipping threads.

It seems as though this is something worth seeking.
yes it is.

WilliamRichard1985
12-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Yea,the main character is learning as much as the reader about the mythos and history of his legacy.

This could have easily turned into a pale imitation of DD,but Bru and Frac have really injected alot of wonder,mystery and over the top sci fi to make it all its own.

(akaRyanHoffman)
12-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Got the first trade as a christmas gift and enjoyed it even more than I thought I would. I love how the action uses the medium to it's potential.

Kefky
12-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Man, this week's issue was fucking awesome. Brubaker and Fraction are unstoppable when joining forces.

Jerome Gibbons
12-20-2007, 08:59 PM
It's a great book.

andrew french
12-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Glad to hear you liked it, Mark. I actually only picked up one issue, the second when it came out. I don't know why I didn't really pursue it, since Power Man and Iron Fist is still one of my favorite series. I need to get this in trade (as with Bru's DD).

J Money
12-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Ive heard good things, but I dont know much about Iron Fist.

Hollingsworth
12-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Glad you guys are digging it. Working on 12 now.

faithlessphil
12-21-2007, 04:32 AM
Ive heard good things, but I dont know much about Iron Fist.

All you need to know is that he kicks major ass.

Nick MB
12-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Got the first trade through from Amazon today. Was already excited to read it, but this thread can only help.

Tom Burgos
12-21-2007, 05:45 AM

I am sure it's a great book, going by the creative team's past efforts I have read, but I have no interest whatsoever in Iron Fist.
The character just has no appeal to me, and I'm sure that's what happens to a lot of people.
And as much as I love Bru's Daredevil, I am more of a visual kinda guy, in other words, as far as comics go, I will be more compelled to buy a comic based on an artist whose work I immensely enjoy than on a writer.

Thus, I buy JSA based on Dale Eaglesham's amazing (to me) art and I don't buy Iron Fist because I don't care about the characters plus the art isn't exactly my favorite (not saying it's "bad", I just don't care for it)

Xander Boune
12-21-2007, 05:58 AM
I bought the first trade based on the positive reviews I read on this board, and I thought it was pretty good. I didn't find it as spectacular as many here did, maybe because I'm not particularly interested in the Iron Fist in the first place or that my expectations were a bit high. It's above average super-hero fare with some neat twists loved Orson Randall and the exploration of Iron Fist powers, but ultimately I thought it was kind of anticlimactic and forgettable. I heard that the story really kicks into gear with the second arc that features some sort of tournament, so I'm still interested in checking out a second trade.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
12-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Glad to hear you liked it, Mark. I actually only picked up one issue, the second when it came out. I don't know why I didn't really pursue it, since Power Man and Iron Fist is still one of my favorite series. I need to get this in trade (as with Bru's DD).

Find the trade in a bookstore, grab a mocha and read it. It's really good. I can't wait to read the second arc.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
12-21-2007, 07:04 AM
I bought the first trade based on the positive reviews I read on this board, and I thought it was pretty good. I didn't find it as spectacular as many here did, maybe because I'm not particularly interested in the Iron Fist in the first place or that my expectations were a bit high. It's above average super-hero fare with some neat twists loved Orson Randall and the exploration of Iron Fist powers, but ultimately I thought it was kind of anticlimactic and forgettable. I heard that the story really kicks into gear with the second arc that features some sort of tournament, so I'm still interested in checking out a second trade.

Orson Randall was great. Love the exploration of the Iron Fists legacy, ala The Phantom.

I just love the mystical kung fu element. I'm glad the book really went in that direction.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
12-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Glad you guys are digging it. Working on 12 now.

Matt, the art is amazing. Just as equal to the caliber of writing IMO. Great work, this is an all around all-star team.

WilliamRichard1985
12-21-2007, 07:13 AM

The first 6 issues were mostly setup IMO.The one shot,the tournament issues and the annual really kicked it into high gear.

rogerio
12-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Iron Fist has become one of my favorites books and Aja's pencils are extremely distinctive.

great comic...:)

Colin Solan
12-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Absolutely love this series. I keep meaning to wait for the trade but can't help myself from picking it up. David Aja's art is brilliant and the rotating artists on the flashbacks keep everything fresh. Best book on the stands.

andrew french
12-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Find the trade in a bookstore, grab a mocha and read it. It's really good. I can't wait to read the second arc.

I'll do it, the VH Barnes & Noble is so good for that.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
12-21-2007, 10:06 AM
I'll do it, the VH Barnes & Noble is so good for that.

Yeah, I just HATE that they don't have any power outlets. That's the only reason I don't go there anymore. What kind of a cafe in this day and age (of the scope of a Borders or Barnes, not the smaller cafes) doesn't have any power outlets for people to power their computers?

Kills me. And my battery on laptop only last like 40 minutes or less now.

sleep
12-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I just HATE that they don't have any power outlets. That's the only reason I don't go there anymore. What kind of a cafe in this day and age (of the scope of a Borders or Barnes, not the smaller cafes) doesn't have any power outlets for people to power their computers?

Kills me. And my battery on laptop only last like 40 minutes or less now.

To be fair, most of those stores weren't designed in this day and age.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
12-21-2007, 10:35 AM
To be fair, most of those stores weren't designed in this day and age.

Very true. Might be worth to get some wiring done just for that purpose, though. I know the demand is really high and this store gets TONS of business.

Greenville 90210
12-21-2007, 03:06 PM
I've read most of my friend's issues but I think I'm going to start buying the trades. How many are out so far, one or two?

NickT
12-21-2007, 03:10 PM
I've read most of my friend's issues but I think I'm going to start buying the trades. How many are out so far, one or two?
Just the one, second arc has another issue or two left.

Greenville 90210
12-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Just the one, second arc has another issue or two left.

Sweet.