PDA

View Full Version : Showcase: Adam Strange

andrew french
12-19-2007, 12:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/Ramonesduude/51CuSwseLgL_SS500_.jpg
Over the summer, I bought a lot of the DC Showcase books. I've been enjoying them slowly, especially Superman and Aquaman, but I remember looking forward to this book.

Now that it's been out for a while, has anyone here bought it? If so, is it truly amazing?

I've admittedly not been reading many comics over the last months, but I could go for old style sci-fi/superheroe stories. And that costume is so sweet.

edit- one of the reviews on Amazon makes it sound even more enticing; the idea of him being a somewhat "thinking man's hero," as a regular guy catapulted into this ridiculous space stuff.

jason hissong
12-19-2007, 12:07 PM
LoSH!

andrew french
12-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I got that one! and it's sweet, though i've only gotten about halfway though. Bouncing Boy is AMAZING

jason hissong
12-19-2007, 12:14 PM
I got that one! and it's sweet, though i've only gotten about halfway though. Bouncing Boy is AMAZING

Yes. Yes he is.

andrew french
12-19-2007, 12:16 PM
honestly, though, the early stories in that collection were very hard to get through. Too much introductory stuff, a lot of repetition of Time Travel, but when the comic stopped worrying about that, and became its own, i really liked it.

BenitoCereno
12-19-2007, 12:38 PM
I have the Adam Strange volume. Unfortunately, it's currently at the bottom of a big stack of other Showcases at the moment (JLA vol 3, World's Finest, Metal Men, Adam Strange). It's all Gardner Fox action, mostly with Mike Sekowsky on art, so it's quality. These are the guys who brought us the Justice League doing more traditional dude-in-space sci-fi. It's good.

I definitely recommend the JLA volumes, by the way. (And for you, definitely definitely definitely the World's Finest.) They really develop as they go on from random episodic adventures to something more cohesive that's really interesting to watch. Volume one is fully of insanity and the brief introduction of some lasting characters, while volume two sees the beginning of multiple earths and the return of the Justice Society, which would shape the DC universe and continues to do so today, and volume three is just...amazing, basically? I'm only about a hundred pages into that one, but I continue to be awestruck every time I flip through the remainder of the book. It's super-good.

I wish I could be more detailed on the Adam Strange for you, but I've only read a handful of stories out of the beginning of it.

I AM GROOT!
12-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I've been meaning to get the Showcase collections (Adam Strange, included) since I've enjoyed the Essentials Marvel puts out, but time and money is limited right now, so I guess I'll just have to keep adding to my list until I can afford to purchase these.

andrew french
12-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I have the Adam Strange volume. Unfortunately, it's currently at the bottom of a big stack of other Showcases at the moment (JLA vol 3, World's Finest, Metal Men, Adam Strange). It's all Gardner Fox action, mostly with Mike Sekowsky on art, so it's quality. These are the guys who brought us the Justice League doing more traditional dude-in-space sci-fi. It's good.

I definitely recommend the JLA volumes, by the way. (And for you, definitely definitely definitely the World's Finest.) They really develop as they go on from random episodic adventures to something more cohesive that's really interesting to watch. Volume one is fully of insanity and the brief introduction of some lasting characters, while volume two sees the beginning of multiple earths and the return of the Justice Society, which would shape the DC universe and continues to do so today, and volume three is just...amazing, basically? I'm only about a hundred pages into that one, but I continue to be awestruck every time I flip through the remainder of the book. It's super-good.

I wish I could be more detailed on the Adam Strange for you, but I've only read a handful of stories out of the beginning of it.

Cool, thanks for the mini review anyway, man. I think this will be the comic i get for christmas, besides the American Elf volume 2.

I remember you telling me about JLA and World's Finest, and I've got my eye on them. I'm sort of starting with the solo books, and moving up to what I assume is a culmination of everything.

I also want to check out the Wonder Woman showcase.

Oh, and I saw your recent LJ entry, is RASL no longer going to be in the oversized format??

andrew french
12-19-2007, 04:17 PM
I've been meaning to get the Showcase collections (Adam Strange, included) since I've enjoyed the Essentials Marvel puts out, but time and money is limited right now, so I guess I'll just have to keep adding to my list until I can afford to purchase these.

I understand, I have a very big to-buy list, and these reprints comprise a good part of them. I'm happy there still seems to be a big focus on putting these out, despite whatever else the companies are doing with the properties now.

Thudpucker
12-19-2007, 04:25 PM
I have it. It's very much pulp sci-fi, the really cheesy radio show variety. If you are into that you'd enjoy it. The art is excellent but again you'd have to like the style.

andrew french
12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Cool, thanks for the input, Thud.

I read a little article online that a great number of the stories end in a stock shot of Adam Strange staring up at the stars, longing for home. I sort of hope this is true.

Which is something I've been wondering about... I'm expecting some cheesiness, but are any of the stories genuinely great? Again, I like the idea of this guy being pulled out of his world and being overwhelmed.