PDA

View Full Version : Sinestro Corps HC Question (No Spoilers Please)

Doug
12-18-2007, 06:44 AM
I have been trade waiting on this story, and I see it is being split into three HC's by DC:

Sinestro Corps. Vol. 1
Sinestro Corps. Vol. 2
Tales of the Sinestro Corps

Is there anything worth reading in the Tales of the Sinestro Corps HC? I know it collects the one-shots, and a few back-up stories, but are they essential to the main story, or will I be okay with just the two main HCs?

Pat Loika
12-18-2007, 06:48 AM
You'll be fine with the two. The one-shots serve to enhance what's already there, but they're not necessary to enjoy the story.

The Superman-Prime one-shot was exceptional, though.

P.

Akira
12-18-2007, 06:48 AM
i was trade waiting on this too, and I didn't realize it was long enough to warrent 3 trades. Wow. I thought it was just a 6 or 7 part story.

thatguyfromsyracuse
12-18-2007, 06:50 AM
You don't have to get it, but it kind of adds to just see what kind of people were recruited to join the Sinestro Corps. Most of them were really well written, and yeah, Pats right, the Superman-Prime issue was great.

Doug
12-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Thanks everyone.

I'm debating on the Tales HC, but I'm definately picking up the main HCs.

thatguyfromsyracuse
12-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Thanks everyone.

I'm debating on the Tales HC, but I'm definately picking up the main HCs.

Definetly get the main ones. It was such a great story, but 2009 will kick ass in Green Lantern!

TIP
12-18-2007, 07:03 AM
You'll be fine with the two. The one-shots serve to enhance what's already there, but they're not necessary to enjoy the story.

P.

Agreed.

Shwicaz
12-18-2007, 07:15 AM
DC should just put the story in one grand hc (not an absolute one, either)

There have been a few stories from DC that I was tempted to try, but when they split a 12 part story into 3 HC (or this mini into 2 hcs) then it just turns me right off.

I like having the whole story in one package...especially if its a mini or a 12 issue series.

ClintP
12-18-2007, 07:22 AM
DC should just put the story in one grand hc (not an absolute one, either)

There have been a few stories from DC that I was tempted to try, but when they split a 12 part story into 3 HC (or this mini into 2 hcs) then it just turns me right off.

I like having the whole story in one package...especially if its a mini or a 12 issue series.
I agree 100% with you. DC's collections department should take notes from Marvel. Not only do they break them up into so many books, but they cost alot more than Marvel's too. Each time I decide to try a DC book, I have baulked due to the format and cost.

I AM GROOT!
12-18-2007, 07:25 AM
The Tales... books aren't necessary, but I thought they were all enjoyable and added to the storyline since they serve as character pieces, and you see the featured characters' motivations that end up playing a part later in the main story.

Doug
12-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Here's another question about the Tales stories.

I know Ron Marz wrote the Parallax story, but how many were Johns involved with? He wrote the Superman-Prime one right? Did he do any others?

Pat Loika
12-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Here's another question about the Tales stories.

I know Ron Marz wrote the Parallax story, but how many were Johns involved with? He wrote the Superman-Prime one right? Did he do any others?

Prime was the only one he wrote.

P.

Taxman
12-18-2007, 07:31 AM
i was trade waiting on this too, and I didn't realize it was long enough to warrent 3 trades. Wow. I thought it was just a 6 or 7 part story.The only thing I really knew about it was Van Sciver getting the script and spouting off about Geoff Johns being a genius.

Doug
12-18-2007, 07:32 AM
Prime was the only one he wrote.

P.

Thanks. That is food for thought.

Boris the Blade
12-18-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm going to just jump on the pile of saying, from the "Tales" stories, the Prime one was best and most worth reading. The Cyborg Superman one was so-so, the latter half was good. The Ion one drove me nuts though.

I'd say nab the Prime one shot as a single if you can, and skip the HC. If it were a trade I'd say, go get'r but hardcovers are expensive.

KingMob
12-18-2007, 08:02 AM
would tales have those mini backup stories that ran in the back of GL leading up to the sinestro corps war? I kind of dug those, background on some of the sinestro corp members.

modungo
12-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Does the tales book include those Dave Gibbons back up stories? Because if it does while it may not be necessary, it is awesome.

KingMob
12-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Does the tales book include those Dave Gibbons back up stories? Because if it does while it may not be necessary, it is awesome.

you are killing me.

Simps
12-18-2007, 08:06 AM
would tales have those mini backup stories that ran in the back of GL leading up to the sinestro corps war? I kind of dug those, background on some of the sinestro corp members.

The ones from #18-20, yeah.

modungo
12-18-2007, 08:06 AM
you are killing me.

I type very slowly. And I like the word "awesome".

Simps
12-18-2007, 08:09 AM
i was trade waiting on this too, and I didn't realize it was long enough to warrent 3 trades. Wow. I thought it was just a 6 or 7 part story.

11 parts (2 of which are double-sized), an epilouge, 4 Tales of the Sinestro Corps issues, and 3 backup stories.

Lord Jermaine Retail
12-18-2007, 08:11 AM

P.

I absolutely cannot believe that the Superman Prime is not just placed in sequentially. Inevitably there will be someone who for some reason only buy the Tales HC or perhaps buys the Sinestro War 1 and 2 and feels like they don't need anything in the Tales. Just put all the one shots in sequentially to ensure that people buy all three. :no:

Akira
12-18-2007, 08:25 AM
I agree 100% with you. DC's collections department should take notes from Marvel. Not only do they break them up into so many books, but they cost alot more than Marvel's too. Each time I decide to try a DC book, I have baulked due to the format and cost.

This is the main reason I've never bought CoIE, Morrison's JLA or any other widely acclaimed DCU trades. Kingdom Come, The Hietha (Rucka's W.W.) and assorted miller Batmans are really all I have of DCU proper.

Taxman
12-18-2007, 08:26 AM
I absolutely cannot believe that the Superman Prime is not just placed in sequentially. What is that Superman Prime? Does it relate at all to Superboy Prime?

Boris the Blade
12-18-2007, 08:28 AM
What is that Superman Prime? Does it relate at all to Superboy Prime?
DC isn't allowed to have "Superboy" because they don't own the copyright. Plus I guess now he's older and more powerful/focused so he upgraded to SuperMAN Prime. Psycho motherfucker believes he's Superman.

Lab-Rat
12-18-2007, 08:29 AM
I absolutely cannot believe that the Superman Prime is not just placed in sequentially. Inevitably there will be someone who for some reason only buy the Tales HC or perhaps buys the Sinestro War 1 and 2 and feels like they don't need anything in the Tales. Just put all the one shots in sequentially to ensure that people buy all three. :no:

All I know is I would love to have one big Hardcover book containing all the issues and one shots in sequential order. That would be the most awesome thing ever.

However...me being a sucker for GL...I'll still buy all 3 HC trades...even though I have allthe singles.

modungo
12-18-2007, 08:29 AM
This is the main reason I've never bought CoIE, Morrison's JLA or any other widely acclaimed DCU trades. Kingdom Come, The Hietha (Rucka's W.W.) and assorted miller Batmans are really all I have of DCU proper.

CoIE comes in one volume. All of Morrison's JLA stories are published complete in trades. I can't think of one that's broken up. So what the problem with 'em?

Lord Jermaine Retail
12-18-2007, 08:30 AM
What is that Superman Prime? Does it relate at all to Superboy Prime?

Its a one shot issue of the Sinestros attack on Earth. Superboy Prime basically has a rematch with all the DCU heroes. Its more from his point of view as far as his grips and hang ups. He is the bad guy, but his motives and methods were much more palatable to me in this one shot than in Infinite Crisis. Lots of battling with Pete Woods art so it looks great. Plus Jerry Ordway doing Earth Prime flashbacks. In my mind it was in a way a sequel to Infinite Crisis and key to understanding Superboy Prime who can be a controversial character. To say the least.

Akira
12-18-2007, 08:33 AM
CoIE comes in one volume. All of Morrison's JLA stories are published complete in trades. I can't think of one that's broken up. So what the problem with 'em?

The price is offsetting to a newer fan. Many times I've walked past CoIE in a store meaning to buy it, but just couldn't justify spending $30 on it. I'm sure I'll find it in a 1/2 off trade bin one day and it'll be bought.

modungo
12-18-2007, 08:37 AM
The price is offsetting to a newer fan. Many times I've walked past CoIE in a store meaning to buy it, but just couldn't justify spending $30 on it. I'm sure I'll find it in a 1/2 off trade bin one day and it'll be bought.

OK, I can get behind that, but Morrison's JLA is very nicely priced. Hell, I think the first two are less than ten bucks.

Akira
12-18-2007, 08:40 AM
OK, I can get behind that, but Morrison's JLA is very nicely priced. Hell, I think the first two are less than ten bucks.

hmm, if that's the case, I may have them confused with another book. I'll look into them again.

The Governor
12-18-2007, 09:08 AM
I was going to get the HC's but it seemed like I wouldn't get the whole story until about 2013, so I just picked up the singles issues.

I'm not arsed about 1st prints, and I managed to get them all fine.

KingMob
12-18-2007, 09:19 AM
I type very slowly. And I like the word "awesome".

you are very awesome at killing me.

Blake Sims
12-18-2007, 11:50 AM
When are these coming out? Im for sure getting Volumes 1 and 2 but I dont know if Ill get the Tales trade...

ds9
12-18-2007, 11:59 AM
This is the best event book out and it would look beautiful in one big HC. This is one of the few events where the writer doesnt change the personalities of the characters to fit the story and the art is just beautiful. Plus the ending wasnt forced and it ended with a bang and not a whimper. Geoff Johns is at the top of his class.

Doug
12-19-2007, 04:22 AM
When are these coming out? Im for sure getting Volumes 1 and 2 but I dont know if Ill get the Tales trade...

Feb. for Vol 1, and Vol 2 and Tales are June or July (one of those J months).

Taxman
12-19-2007, 08:00 PM
If one were going to read only one which cosmic epic is more recommended, Annihilation or Sinestro Corps?

Bedlam66
12-19-2007, 08:14 PM
It was 16 Parts including the ones Shots + the Tales of Sinestro Back ups that ran though the main GL title.