PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Ray Vaughn

Craig C
12-16-2007, 01:55 PM
I just got his greatest hits man that guy could play!

Special Agent Bachman
12-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Hell yeah he could. My roomie hates him though and I wanna beat some sense into him for it.

Jerome Gibbons
12-16-2007, 01:58 PM
He was great.

Barry Hollifield
12-16-2007, 02:03 PM
He was great.

Definately!

Craig C
12-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Hell yeah he could. My roomie hates him though and I wanna beat some sense into him for it.

Please do.

Thommy Melanson
12-16-2007, 02:05 PM
His Austin City Limits and Live At The El Macambo performances are some of the finest guitarwork ever recorded.

S. Earl
12-16-2007, 02:06 PM
is there anything on the greatest hits from his sessions with Albert King? They released a cd together, and it hands down my favorite work of both of theirs.

Craig C
12-16-2007, 02:07 PM
My favorite song has to be Texas Flood great mellow blues guitar playing

Thommy Melanson
12-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Riviera Paradise from the ACL show was a masterpiece.

Craig C
12-16-2007, 02:12 PM
is there anything on the greatest hits from his sessions with Albert King? They released a cd together, and it hands down my favorite work of both of theirs.

these are the songs

1. Taxman

2. Texas Flood

3. The House is a rockin

4. Pride and Joy

5. Tightrope

6 Little Wing

7. Crossfire

8. Change It

9. Cold shot

10. Couldn't Stand the weather

11. Life Without you

Beta_Ray_Bryan
12-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Oh don't forget his MTV Unplugged show. I taped it for Joe Satriani's performance (they shared the 1/2 hour) but SRV was absolutely stellar with nothing but him and a 12 string guitar.

Craig C
12-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Oh don't forget his MTV Unplugged show. I taped it for Joe Satriani's performance (they shared the 1/2 hour) but SRV was absolutely stellar with nothing but him and a 12 string guitar.

The fact that he was playing a 12 string is what makes him great in my eyes

smallchange
12-16-2007, 02:35 PM
My favorite is his cover of Little Wing & Lenny.

Greatest rock guitarist of all-time IMO. He did stuff to this day that hasn't really been mimicked, if you play guitar you know just how hard it is to do what he did & how complex his finger work was. He used strings that were so thick, that Eric Clapton tried playing one of SRV's guitars once & said he couldn't even move the strings, he didn't see how anyone could play on a guitar like SRV's. The Live At The El Macambo DVD is a must-own to see just how brilliant he was.

Craig C
12-16-2007, 02:39 PM
My favorite is his cover of Little Wing & Lenny.

Greatest rock guitarist of all-time IMO. He did stuff to this day that hasn't really been mimicked, if you play guitar you know just how hard it is to do what he did & how complex his finger work was. He used strings that were so thick, that Eric Clapton tried playing one of SRV's guitars once & said he couldn't even move the strings, he didn't see how anyone could play on a guitar like SRV's. The Live At The El Macambo DVD is a must-own to see just how brilliant he was.

Wouldn't he also play until his callouses fell off and then glue them back on or is that just a myth?

greg donovan
12-16-2007, 02:54 PM

i cannot fathom how anyone could hate SRV.

badpoet
12-16-2007, 03:03 PM
He was a talented guitarist but is overrated due to his untimely death. He's obviously a good player, I just wouldn't consider him great.

Special Agent Bachman
12-16-2007, 03:05 PM
He was a talented guitarist but is overrated due to his untimely death. He's obviously a good player, I just wouldn't consider him great.

gtfo now.

badpoet
12-16-2007, 03:09 PM
gtfo now.

If he were alive, he might still have a minor following, but he wouldn't have achieved his somewhat legendary status. He's the guitar world's Jim Morrison.

Craig C
12-16-2007, 03:10 PM

gtfo now.

Seconded

Artie Pink
12-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Here's what's on my homemade SRV greatest hits 2 CD set:

Stevie Ray Vaughan - SRV 1 (76:43)

01. Pride And Joy (3:40)
02. Cold Shot (4:01)
03. Couldn't Stand The Weather (4:42)
04. Scuttle Buttin' (1:52)
05. Little Wing (6:48 )
06. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) (8:01)
07. Say What! (5:24)
08. Look At Little Sister (3:09)
09. Change It (3:58 )
10. Life Without You (4:19)
11. The Sky Is Crying (4:39)
12. The House Is Rockin' (2:24)
13. Crossfire (4:11)
14. Tightrope (4:40)
15. Wall Of Denial (5:37)
16. Life By The Drop (2:27)
17. Pride And Joy (unplugged) (3:51)
18. Rude Mood (unplugged) (3:01)

Stevie Ray Vaughan - SRV 2 (78:10)

01. Texas Flood (5:21)
02. Love Struck Baby (2:23)
03. Testify (3:24)
04. Rude Mood (4:40)
05. Mary Had A Little Lamb (2:47)
06. Lenny (4:57)
07. The Things (That) I Used To Do (4:55)
08. Wham! (2:27)
09. Taxman (3:35)
10. Ain't Gone And Give Up On Love (6:09)
11. Empty Arms (3:29)
12. Pipeline (3:02)
13. Superstition (live) (4:45)
14. Willie The Wimp (live) (4:38 )
15. Leave My Little Girl Alone (4:17)
16. Riviera Paradise (8:51)
17. Telephone Song (3:30)
18. Tick Tock (4:59)

BrianKVaughan
12-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Re: Stevie Ray VaughAn

Nice to know no one can spell his name either! :)

WillieLee
12-16-2007, 05:22 PM
If he were alive, he might still have a minor following, but he wouldn't have achieved his somewhat legendary status. He's the guitar world's Jim Morrison.

He was legendary before he died. You lose.

PeterSparker
12-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Re: Stevie Ray VaughAn

Nice to know no one can spell his name either! :)

I was waiting for someone to make that correction, who knew it would be you. Makes sense though :)

And hells yeah, Stevie was a giant in his life time, anyone who ever saw him play the fucking guitar could see that! His "break" came when Mick Jagger and David Bowie saw him play. They both wanted to work with him, or at least help him along. Bowie ends up putting him on the 'Let's Dance' record, and wanted him to tour in his band. Now those guys have seen a lot of guitar players, but they were both blown away by him. Stevie, skipped the tour, went back with his Double Trouble boys, and just tore it up everywhere they played from then on out. I'm lucky enough (and old enough :( ) to have seen him many times, and there was no one like him. He's really no bigger now then he was then, its just that his music still kicks ass and he is remembered quite fondly. But he had some classic videos on MTV back in the day, and whether he was a superstar in rock music, everyone still knew who was back when he was still here. He was too cool not to know. 8)

badpoet
12-17-2007, 03:35 AM
He was legendary before he died. You lose.

No, he wasn't. He had a decent amount of popularity, but he was certainly not legendary. I wouldn't even call him legendary now, even with the inflated view of his career after his death. Guys like John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, and Kurt Cobain (and one can argue that his star would have dimmed significantly if he were still alive) are legendary. Guys like SRV maybe were great but certainly aren't legendary.

Artie Pink
12-17-2007, 04:58 AM
No, he wasn't. He had a decent amount of popularity, but he was certainly not legendary. I wouldn't even call him legendary now, even with the inflated view of his career after his death. Guys like John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, and Kurt Cobain (and one can argue that his star would have dimmed significantly if he were still alive) are legendary. Guys like SRV maybe were great but certainly aren't legendary.

Are you old enough to know what you're talking about? I am 39 years old and I was working in a record store in 1988 through 1991, including the morning SRV's death broke. I can assure you the man was legendary in his time.

I live in Milwaukee, which is the nearest metropolitan area to the venue SRV played the night of his death. Our phone rang off the HOOK that morning, when it was known that a helicopter carrying "talent" had gone missing, but not who was on board. Callers begged us to confirm that it was Robert Cray, even Eric Freakin' Clapton who had died, ANYONE but Stevie.

MIKE D
12-17-2007, 05:00 AM
Are you old enough to know what you're talking about? I am 39 years old and I was working in a record store in 1988 through 1991, including the morning SRV's death broke. I can assure you the man was legendary in his time.

I live in Milwaukee, which is the nearest metropolitan area to the venue SRV played the night of his death. Our phone rang off the HOOK that morning, when it was known that a helicopter carrying "talent" had gone missing, but not who was on board. Callers begged us to confirm that it was Robert Cray, even Eric Freakin' Clapton who had died, ANYONE but Stevie.

I have to concur with all the other old farts in this thread. The man was absolutely legendary before the helicopter crash.

badpoet
12-17-2007, 05:13 AM

I'm 33. He wasn't, and isn't, legendary. That doesn't mean he wasn't great, I appreciate his work. I just think he gained more popularity through death, which isn't a statement about his ability.

Boris the Blade
12-17-2007, 05:26 AM
I'm 33. He wasn't, and isn't, legendary. That doesn't mean he wasn't great, I appreciate his work. I just think he gained more popularity through death, which isn't a statement about his ability.
That Hendrix guy ultimately wasn't really legendary either.

badpoet
12-17-2007, 06:11 AM
That Hendrix guy ultimately wasn't really legendary either.

Yes, he is. Are you seriously comparing SRV's status to Jimi Hendrix?

That's like comparing Eddie Vedder to Kurt Cobain or George Harrison to Eric Clapton. You might make a case that either was great but neither lives up to the legendary status achieved by the other.

WillieLee
12-17-2007, 06:34 AM

You not liking someone doesn't mean they weren't legendary. SRV was known far beyond his record sales. He was THE blues guitarist of the 80s. Albert King called him his son. You lose.

badpoet
12-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Willie, I never said I didn't like him, I merely said he gained status after his death he didn't and wouldn't have had in life and that he isn't legendary, like Jimi Hendrix or John Lennon.

I don't care if Albert King turned out to actually BE his father, that doesn't put him in the same level as any number of other musicians.

greg donovan
12-17-2007, 07:37 AM

i rate him just as high now as i did when he was alive. he was easliy one of the best of all time.

greg donovan
12-17-2007, 07:39 AM

bullshit.

he had legendary status when he was alive.

WillieLee
12-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Willie, I never said I didn't like him, I merely said he gained status after his death he didn't and wouldn't have had in life and that he isn't legendary, like Jimi Hendrix or John Lennon.

I don't care if Albert King turned out to actually BE his father, that doesn't put him in the same level as any number of other musicians.

You've convinced me, what's the opinion of Mick Jagger or Jackson Browne or any of the other dozens of musicians who proclaimed him one of the best ever while he was alive compared to badpoet?

Artie Pink
12-17-2007, 09:44 AM
You've convinced me, what's the opinion of Mick Jagger or Jackson Browne or any of the other dozens of musicians who proclaimed him one of the best ever while he was alive compared to badpoet?

(and David Bowie; that's Stevie on "Modern Love" and "Let's Dance")

I will say that he SECURED his legendary status by dying - what musician doesn't? Even the loser from Blind Melon gets some new, undeserved deeper meaning attached to his crappy lyrics now.

And it's also true that by dying, SRV never put out music that could have been bad. Had Clapton died that day, we'd have never had to suffer through "My Son Is Still Dead And Now I Sit On Stools And Play The Acoustic And Do Interviews About My Armani Collection"-era Clapton. He woulda gone out with Journeyman, and that woulda been better.

But make no mistake - musicians, kids, and Moms all knew Stevie's name in 1990. That dude hit it big with the Soul To Soul album, and his catalog sold very very well. Guitarists copied him, and he was a legend on the radio. If you think he was a Kenny Wayne Shepherd who got undue respect after he cashed it in, you are wronger than the world's wrongest wrong thing.

PhilipClark
12-17-2007, 09:47 AM
I can actually say I can remember where I was the day he died.

S. Earl
12-17-2007, 09:50 AM
I can actually say I can remember where I was the day he died.

so can I, even though I was only 8 or 9. My Dad was damn near on the verge of tears.

Brian Defferding
12-17-2007, 10:43 AM
His Austin City Limits and Live At The El Macambo performances are some of the finest guitarwork ever recorded.

Yes, good God yes. His "Texas Flood" performance at El Macambo is nothing short of legendary.

His recording with Albert King is amazing.

There was a time in college that I would listen to nothing but Stevie Ray Vaughan. He opened the door for me to the blues, and because of him I got to know Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Guy and all the greats - and from then on the rest of the blues scene.

EDIT: And, I have no shame to admit this, my eyes start welling up whenever I listen to "Life By The Drop"

beelzabubba
12-17-2007, 11:09 AM
The greatest thing about SRV's guitar playing to me - the phrasing. He made every note TALK if you know what I mean. And he was legendary before he died dammit!

badpoet
12-17-2007, 02:06 PM

I never said he wasn't great and that others didn't find him great, Willieboy. What the fuck does that have to do with anything? Some people think Yngwie Malmsteen and Joe Satriani are some of the best guitarists ever, but that doesn't mean they're legends. He's not legendary. He's very close to it, and his death certainly added to his status, but I wouldn't put him in the same category as an Elvis (blah), John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, or Kurt Cobain. He certainly had more talent than most of them (maybe minus Lennon for songwriting ability and Hendrix's guitar) and he was certainly a better musician than Cobain, Lennon, and Elvis, but he's not in their league.

Talent doesn't equate to greatness. If it did, there's a number of musicians out there who would be household names with millions of records sold, instead of sitting in relative obscurity for most of their careers.

I like SRV. I agree that "Life by the Drop" is one heartbreakingly beautiful song, and that he was an incredible guitarist. I just don't put him in that very elite category of legendary.

smallchange
12-17-2007, 02:20 PM
he was certainly a better musician than Cobain, Lennon, and Elvis, but he's not in their league

I like SRV. I agree that "Life by the Drop" is one heartbreakingly beautiful song, and that he was an incredible guitarist. I just don't put him in that very elite category of legendary.

This is really just an argument of semantics. As far as pop-culture goes, like those names you mentioned, no SRV is not a legend, in the sense that those names transend music. But in the music world alone, there is no doubt at all, that yes, SRV is the definition of legendary. He spent such a short amount of time really in the public eye, imprint he left is remarkable. There simply has been nobody else like him & muscially he was unmatched in skill, there probably isn't a guitarist in the world who doesn't know who the guy is, that alone is the impact of a legend.

And if all that wasn't enough, his legendary status will always be cemented by one of the most influential films of all-time :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6c/B2tb.jpg

badpoet
12-17-2007, 02:25 PM
I should have clearly equated legendary with cultural icon. Thanks, Small.

greg donovan
12-17-2007, 03:42 PM
I should have clearly equated legendary with cultural icon. Thanks, Small.

no we are getting somewhere.

i agree he is not a cultural icon.

he is/was a legendary guitarist. that is the point all of us were trying to make.