PDA

View Full Version : Red Dawn is much better than I remembered!

Thudpucker
12-15-2007, 09:05 PM
I liked it when I was kid but I hadn't seen it in years and just assumed it was unbearably cheesy.

It's cheesy, but it's bearable!

I bought the special edition on impulse today and just finished watching it, such a fun movie! The acting is pretty good, the characters likable and the story interesting. Why do people trash this movie so much? 80's nostalgia aside it's really not a bad movie.

EdNEMO
12-15-2007, 09:15 PM
The worst movie from that time...Road House. As a bouncer I cringe whenever anyone brings up that movie. Worst Movie Ever!!

Damn you Patrick Swayze!!!

Oh, but back to Red Dawn...I would always imagine an army of Wolverines running about in their yellow and brown suits slicing up the enemy and saying Bub a lot. That's the only thing that would have made that movie better. Armies of Wolverines...and less Patrick Swayze.

Petey Parker
12-15-2007, 09:19 PM
The worst movie from that time...Road House. As a bouncer I cringe whenever anyone brings up that movie. Worst Movie Ever!!

Damn you Patrick Swayze!!!

If by worst movie ever you mean BEST MOVIE EVER

Thudpucker
12-15-2007, 09:22 PM
I think Swayze did a good job in Red Dawn. Football jock turned moody gorilla leader, it's not exactly a demanding role.

Thudpucker
12-15-2007, 09:48 PM
noone else wants to take a hate break and talk about cheesy 80's movies?

thatguyfromsyracuse
12-15-2007, 09:50 PM
I love Red Dawn, and it does hold up. I wasn't exactly old enough to see it when it came out, but I appreciated it later in life. It was actually a movie I was able to get my friends hooked on.

bradical
12-15-2007, 09:52 PM
did you read the latest green lantern, thud? end of the sinestro corps war?

Fourthman
12-15-2007, 09:54 PM
I just watched Rescue Dawn this evening. Infinitely better.

Piechuck
12-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Wolverines!

Thudpucker
12-15-2007, 09:55 PM
did you read the latest green lantern, thud? end of the sinestro corps war?

I'm trade waiting on it but it's hard, I love the Green Lantern books.

I read some spoilers on newsarama though, the different color rings matching emotions thing seems like a great idea.

Thudpucker
12-15-2007, 09:58 PM
I just watched Rescue Dawn this evening. Infinitely better.

Never heard of that one, had to look it up. Looks good!

I just watched Children of Men tonight too, that one was amazing.

bradical
12-15-2007, 10:01 PM

I read some spoilers on newsarama though, the different color rings matching emotions thing seems like a great idea.

when they get the trade out, there's a nice little red dawn ref for you. gave me a smile.

Thudpucker
12-15-2007, 10:04 PM
when they get the trade out, there's a nice little red dawn ref for you. gave me a smile.

Oh yea, I read about that in the interview! Apparently he had Gardner yell Wolverines because he went to the University of Michigan but I think it's got to be a Red Dawn nod as well.

I'm really looking forward to reading this event.

thatguyfromsyracuse
12-15-2007, 10:06 PM

I wouldn't be able to wait. #25 was so friggin' great! I hope the coming year is great, because I can't fucking wait for 2009 and that next big story line.

bradical
12-15-2007, 10:07 PM
I think it's got to be a Red Dawn nod as well.

I'm really looking forward to reading this event.

it is. it's a fun moment.

only read the first and last ish, but i liked what i read. picked up the last one today on a whim. looking forward to the trade.

Thudpucker
12-15-2007, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't be able to wait. #25 was so friggin' great! I hope the coming year is great, because I can't fucking wait for 2009 and that next big story line.

I'm thinking about going monthly again on a few titles like Green Lantern Corp and Legion of Superheroes (once Jim Shooter takes over). It's rough kicking the adiction completely.

Wagon
12-15-2007, 10:12 PM
If by worst movie ever you mean BEST MOVIE EVER

this is what the truth looks like.

it's the movie that gave us gems like "You're too stupid to have a good time." and "Pain don't hurt". PRICELESS!

Captain Bloodclot
12-15-2007, 11:58 PM
I think that the poor reception of red dawn these days has to do with the fact that it's dated in terms of the way it deals with the cold war. Even when it came out (what was it...86?...87?) it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay stronger in it's contempt for communism than other comparable films like, for instance, Rocky IV.

It's not surprising, because the director of the film, a dude named John Milius, is a right wing psychopath. That being said, I love John Milius, and would like to see him make more movies.

As a lot of you know, he directed Conan the Barbarian, and was at one point slated to direct a new conan film.

I remember watching the trailer for Gladiator. I was so excited for that movie, because (from the trailer) it looked awesome, and they used Basil Poleduoris' score for conan as temp score for the Gladiator trailer.

Then I saw Gladiator, and I was dissapointed because it didn't have the balls to admit that it was a fascist movie and told me, instead, that its outcome was all about the will of the roman senate. BALLS!

I want John Milius to make another flick like Conan where it is admitted that the film takes place in a universe where might makes absolutely right.

Ashwin Pande
12-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Red Alert 2 is better.

Thomas Mauer
12-16-2007, 04:23 AM
Did I miss the special screening at AmmuNation? :(

Ashwin Pande
12-16-2007, 04:25 AM
Did I miss the special screening at AmmuNation? :(

Red Alert 2 is better.

Thomas Mauer
12-16-2007, 04:36 AM
Red Alert 2 is better.

Steven Segal on a train? I think not!

Thommy Melanson
12-16-2007, 04:37 AM

Under Siege 3?

Thomas Mauer
12-16-2007, 04:39 AM
Under Siege 3?

Was that the one where he had to foil the terrorists on a unicycle?

Ashwin Pande
12-16-2007, 04:40 AM

You're thinking of Under Siege 2... god... why do I remember that movie. Although that villain guy was kinda cool.

Red Alert 2 was the sequel to Command & Conquer Red Alert from the C&C series of strategy games.

If you haven't played it give it a try. It might not be the best strategy game in terms of strategy... but imo it's certainly the most fun.

The premise of the game is that Einstein went back in time and removed Hitler from history... so there was no power to check Stalin's expansion in Europe and THAT became World War 2... that was from Red Alert 1.

In Red Alert 2 the Soviet Union has rearmed itself and has performed a full-scale invasion of the USA. Pretty much like Red Dawn but with Tesla Tanks and Sub-Marine destroying Octopi!

Thommy Melanson
12-16-2007, 04:41 AM
Was that the one where he had to foil the terrorists on a unicycle?

I thought it was a tandem bike, only his partner was MISSING!

>cue orchestral tympani<

Ashwin Pande
12-16-2007, 04:41 AM
Under Siege 3?

Dear god don't tell me they made a third part for that series...

Thommy Melanson
12-16-2007, 04:43 AM
The premise of the game is that Einstein went back in time and removed Hitler from history... so there was no power to check Stalin's expansion in Europe and THAT became World War 2... that was from Red Alert 1.

How exactly did Einstein do this?

Gave himself a solid year of working out to become SuperGenius?

Thommy Melanson
12-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Dear god don't tell me they made a third part for that series...

Have no idea, but I wouldn't be shocked.

Sounds like the exact thing you'd walk by in a rental store without noticing.

Artie Pink
12-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Red Dawn is rad, Invasion USA is another favorite of mine along similar lines.

Thommy Melanson
12-16-2007, 04:46 AM

Ah yes, the Chuck.

Delta Force was a staple of '80s cable.

Invasion U.S.A. was the one where he had the cute cocktail Uzis that fit neatly under his arms, right?

Ashwin Pande
12-16-2007, 04:48 AM
How exactly did Einstein do this?

Gave himself a solid year of working out to become SuperGenius?

Well duh...

Obviously he built himself a time machine.

He then lightning shocked Hitler into never having existed!!

The Allies side in the game has a unit that can do that btw. Laser ray your ass out of ever having existed.

Thommy Melanson
12-16-2007, 04:51 AM
Well duh...

Obviously he built himself a time machine.

He then lightning shocked Hitler into never having existed!!

The Allies side in the game has a unit that can do that btw. Laser ray your ass out of ever having existed.

So Einstein is Thor essentially?

This sounds like quite a game.

May have to check this out some time.

Ashwin Pande
12-16-2007, 04:53 AM

The first one is probably too old school to play now...

The graphics of the new one aren't... up to date... as they could be.. but it's kinda cartoony and silly so it shouldn't seem too old.

If you're into real strategy and stuff you might not like it.. it's more for the casual gamer who just likes to blow shit up.

Thommy Melanson
12-16-2007, 04:56 AM
The first one is probably too old school to play now...

The graphics of the new one aren't... up to date... as they could be.. but it's kinda cartoony and silly so it shouldn't seem too old.

If you're into real strategy and stuff you might not like it.. it's more for the casual gamer who just likes to blow shit up.

I'm such a casual gamer I don't even own a system.

Last game I think I actually played was some Resident Evil sequel.

Thomas Mauer
12-16-2007, 06:30 AM
You're thinking of Under Siege 2... god... why do I remember that movie. Although that villain guy was kinda cool.

Red Alert 2 was the sequel to Command & Conquer Red Alert from the C&C series of strategy games.

If you haven't played it give it a try. It might not be the best strategy game in terms of strategy... but imo it's certainly the most fun.

In Red Alert 2 the Soviet Union has rearmed itself and has performed a full-scale invasion of the USA. Pretty much like Red Dawn but with Tesla Tanks and Sub-Marine destroying Octopi!

Oh, gotcha. I played the original Red Alert but couldn't get into the newer stuff since they made China the enemy. My RTS-fu is so weak I never got past level 2!

Thomas Mauer
12-16-2007, 06:34 AM

Red Alert was the first video game to employ a Tesla spool. I think Einstein and Tesla may have worked together on killing Hitler.

Ashwin Pande
12-16-2007, 06:38 AM
Oh, gotcha. I played the original Red Alert but couldn't get into the newer stuff since they made China the enemy. My RTS-fu is so weak I never got past level 2!

You're thinking about Generals I think. It was the game made after Red Alert 2. Red Alert 2 had Iraq, North Korea, Libya, Russia and maybe one more country as enemies.

Red Alert was the first video game to employ a Tesla spool. I think Einstein and Tesla may have worked together on killing Hitler.

I dunno. The Allies used Einsteins time travel technology while the Soviets used Tesla's towers and coils.

Thomas Mauer
12-16-2007, 06:41 AM
You're thinking about Generals I think. It was the game made after Red Alert 2. Red Alert 2 had Iraq, North Korea, Libya, Russia and maybe one more country as enemies.

I dunno. The Allies used Einsteins time travel technology while the Soviets used Tesla's towers and coils.

You're right on both accounts!

God it's been ages. Almost 10 years at least!

Ashwin Pande
12-16-2007, 06:49 AM
You're right on both accounts!

God it's been ages. Almost 10 years at least!

I have spent wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much time on that game...

Thomas Mauer
12-16-2007, 06:59 AM
I have spent wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much time on that game...

Okay, time for some truth here, Ashwin: Red Alert or Warcraft 2?

Remember, the wrong answer will make you dead to me! :p

Ashwin Pande
12-16-2007, 07:00 AM
Okay, time for some truth here, Ashwin: Red Alert or Warcraft 2?

Remember, the wrong answer will make you dead to me! :p

Uhhh...

I haven't played Warcraft 2......

Thomas Mauer
12-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Uhhh...

I haven't played Warcraft 2......

Good man. You live another day. :cool:

Thudpucker
12-16-2007, 02:42 PM
I think that the poor reception of red dawn these days has to do with the fact that it's dated in terms of the way it deals with the cold war. Even when it came out (what was it...86?...87?) it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay stronger in it's contempt for communism than other comparable films like, for instance, Rocky IV.

It's not surprising, because the director of the film, a dude named John Milius, is a right wing psychopath. That being said, I love John Milius, and would like to see him make more movies.

As a lot of you know, he directed Conan the Barbarian, and was at one point slated to direct a new conan film.

I remember watching the trailer for Gladiator. I was so excited for that movie, because (from the trailer) it looked awesome, and they used Basil Poleduoris' score for conan as temp score for the Gladiator trailer.

Then I saw Gladiator, and I was dissapointed because it didn't have the balls to admit that it was a fascist movie and told me, instead, that its outcome was all about the will of the roman senate. BALLS!

I want John Milius to make another flick like Conan where it is admitted that the film takes place in a universe where might makes absolutely right.

John Milius is also one of the creators of the HBO show Rome, which is probably my favorite TV show ever.

Thudpucker
12-16-2007, 02:46 PM

I've never seen that one, I'll see if I can netflix it :)

St Omo
12-16-2007, 02:50 PM
I think Swayze did a good job in Red Dawn. Football jock turned moody gorilla leader, it's not exactly a demanding role.

http://membres.lycos.fr/navi/tarzan/kerchak5.jpg

Here's your moody gorilla leader.

Petey Parker
12-16-2007, 02:52 PM
I've never seen that one, I'll see if I can netflix it :)

You have to check it out. Terrorists try to take over and only one man and his beard can stop them.

Thudpucker
12-16-2007, 03:08 PM
You have to check it out. Terrorists try to take over and only one man and his beard can stop them.

The Chuck Norris movie! I just googled some info and I think I saw this one once. This is exactly the kind of movie I'm in the mood for :lol: