PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Fraud Question...

SteveFlack
12-12-2007, 02:18 PM
My Mom just called me, and said she just got a phone call about my father's credit card account. Ends up someone tried to charge a $21.95 fee to my Father's AMEX account, and put in the wrong expiration date, so AMEX gave my Mom a fraud notice phonecall. So, my Mom, called me for more info.

I explained it was probably a theif trying many numbers to see if any of the combinations work, which is why it was for something inexpensive as a Limewire account, and if it did work, then they would have tried charging more expensive things.

Am I right?

Regardless, my Mom checked all the charges on the card, and that was the only one she wasn't aware of, and then had them cancel the card and send a new one.

But the are ID thiefs who run computer programs that just spit numbers out and try them to see if any work, right?

-Steve!

Buk Was Right
12-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Could be.

Could have also gotten the card number from a skimmer or similar device and simply mistyped the exp date. But your theory sounds good too.

In any event, big ups to AMEX for flagging it and to your mom as well for killing the card and getting a new one sent out.

Gordon Chumway
12-12-2007, 02:38 PM
My Mom just called me, and said she just got a phone call about my father's credit card account. Ends up someone tried to charge a $21.95 fee to my Father's AMEX account, and put in the wrong expiration date, so AMEX gave my Mom a fraud notice phonecall. So, my Mom, called me for more info.

I explained it was probably a theif trying many numbers to see if any of the combinations work, which is why it was for something inexpensive as a Limewire account, and if it did work, then they would have tried charging more expensive things.

Am I right?

Regardless, my Mom checked all the charges on the card, and that was the only one she wasn't aware of, and then had them cancel the card and send a new one.

But the are ID thiefs who run computer programs that just spit numbers out and try them to see if any work, right?

-Steve!

Yes and no, it could be someone who found a slip and couldn't make out the exp. date. I worked in ID fraud for about a year at Chase Manhatten.

She should cancel her card. Any blip ever comes up, change your card. Also get a credit report every 6 to 8 months.

So many people know your social security number it's not even funny, people forget that sometimes.

Bill Nolan
12-12-2007, 02:56 PM
So many people know your social security number it's not even funny, people forget that sometimes.

I was going to start selling some shirts over at CafePress yesterday, but they asked for my social security number so I said screw it...

Whip
12-12-2007, 02:58 PM
I was going to start selling some shirts over at CafePress yesterday, but they asked for my social security number so I said screw it...

Why the Hell would they need your SS# to sell something online?

I would have made it up. 123-45-6789

Buk Was Right
12-12-2007, 02:59 PM

I would have made it up. 123-45-6789

I have the same combination on my luggage.

Bill Nolan
12-12-2007, 03:01 PM

They claim the IRS has insisted they collect that information, or they have to charge you a fee on each transaction instead. I chose neither option...

Gordon Chumway
12-12-2007, 03:02 PM

An employee at Chase had a notebook that he had been keeping EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER he had ever talked to SSN's on.

He was arrested on a gun charge and they found it in his house. He was stockpiling for future ID theft. That really made me think about who has mine.