PDA

View Full Version : The Protector

Uther
12-11-2007, 12:57 PM
If you want to see proper fight scenes Tony Jaa films (Ong Bak and The Protector) are the place to be. He's totally freaking genius.
This video (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=K06wDn3XsZE) is pretty much the most impressive thing ever.

Dude... you need to make this post a thread. Seriously. Get the word out. That video is just awesome.

Ta daa!

See! Long takes = awesome!
Now I just need to make a thread justifying faux-verite shakycam.

Thoughts?

FredC
12-11-2007, 12:59 PM
You already know what I think. I'm not posting again.

Oh...

smallchange
12-11-2007, 01:02 PM
I think Panom Yeerum has zero screen presence or personality, which makes his films near unwatchable except for the fights, & will keep him from being a huge international star, (much in the same way Donny Yen is not a huge star here). There is a great film called Born to Fight worth checking out if you dig action like Tony Jaa does.

And yeah, long panned out fight scenes that actually show the action are always amazing, unfortunately American film makers don't feel the same way.

Uther
12-11-2007, 01:05 PM
I think Panom Yeerum has zero screen presence or personality, which makes his films near unwatchable except for the fights. Which are indeed beyond belief. There is a great film called Born to Fight worth checking out if you dig action like Tony Jaa does.
He just needs a couple of years of acting courses.
Which is what he is doing now while prepping Ong Bak 2.

Jibberwashed
12-11-2007, 01:08 PM
I liked the capoeira fight scene, but mostly because I play capoeira. I would post a video, but my workplace blocks youtube...Also, I second the long take fight scenes.

sonnylarue
12-11-2007, 02:08 PM
I loved this movie.

Uther
12-11-2007, 02:09 PM
I loved this movie.

Well, you've gotta love a movie that essentially is about how much one guy loves his elephant.

FredC
12-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Well, you've gotta love a movie that essentially is about how much one guy loves his elephant.

Didn't save Larger than Life. :no:

Uther
12-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Didn't save Larger than Life. :no:

Meh.
Haven't seen it.

Jason California
12-11-2007, 02:20 PM
I thought that movie was very unintentionaly funny.

niceguyeddie
12-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Meh.
Haven't seen it.

Bill Murray on a road trip with an elephant.
Matthew McConahey plays his greatest role as a overly hyper truck driver and Jeanine garofalo also stars.

Uther
12-11-2007, 02:33 PM
I thought that movie was very unintentionaly funny.
Because your/our cultural standards are so different and so the content at times was totally leftfieldy (like Stephen Chow films) or because you have no soul?

Bill Murray on a road trip with an elephant.
Matthew McConahey plays his greatest role as a overly hyper truck driver and Jeanine garofalo also stars.
Sounds golden.

WNCE
12-11-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm a big fan of Tony Jaa, I love Ong-Bak but The Warrior King (What the Protector is called over here) not so much. Everytime I watch WK, I think of This. (http://snonsons.ytmnd.com)

It might suck, but that took me 30 minutes to find and steal off other YTMND people.

Uther
12-11-2007, 02:41 PM
It might suck, but that took me 30 minutes to find and steal off other YTMND people.

Weh.
That was kinda half funny.

Jason California
12-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Because your/our cultural standards are so different and so the content at times was totally leftfieldy (like Stephen Chow films) or because you have no soul?

Oh I got that about the different cultures. I could apreciate his love for the elephant that was there since he was a child. That part was not what got. The dialouge was corny and were some of the fight setups. I was also stoned. The movie had a lot of cheese. I did not say that I did not enjoy it.

I am not familiar with Stephen Chow.

WNCE
12-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Weh.
That was kinda half funny.

Good enough, I didn't think it was exceptionally funny. A titter was all that was required.

Uther
12-11-2007, 02:44 PM
The dialouge was corny and were some of the fight setups. I was also stoned. The movie had a lot of cheese.

All very true.
Man, this movie would be awesome really stoned.

Jason California
12-11-2007, 02:48 PM
All very true.
Man, this movie would be awesome really stoned.

yeah it was.:cool:

Uther
12-11-2007, 02:49 PM
I am not familiar with Stephen Chow.

Guy who did Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer, King of Cooking and a bunch of other films. If you watch any of his films in their uncut "native" versions about half of it doesn't make sense because they're totally based on customs not present in western culture. F'r'instance King Of Cooking (I may have gotten the name really wrong) is full of weird feces jokes - like people just shitting in the corner of the room and stuff and not in a typically western funny way.
They are surreal watches.
Also, awesome.

Good enough, I didn't think it was exceptionally funny. A titter was all that was required.
I didn't even titter.
I got the connection and understood how one could be amused by it. I wasn't.

Uther
12-11-2007, 02:50 PM
yeah it was.:cool:

It's on my to do list then.

WNCE
12-11-2007, 02:55 PM
I didn't even titter.
I got the connection and understood how one could be amused by it. I wasn't.

Well you know what, thats fine with me as well.

Uther
12-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Well you know what, thats fine with me as well.

I'm glad we can agree.

-offers hand for hand shake- ?