11-29-2007, 01:23 PM
I also liked Hudson Hawk.

And Ishtar.

Rosemary's Baby
11-29-2007, 01:24 PM
This thread's failing already.

adam_warlock_2099
11-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Return of the Pink Panther . . . at least no one I know likes it.

Genius J
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
"Threads that you love but everyone else hates"

Sir Erudite Gav
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
I like it.
"Tell me ye like me hat!"

That's the way Howlett talks!

And The Last Action Hero... if people hate it.

Brian Defferding
11-29-2007, 01:26 PM
The Virgin Suicides

chazbot
11-29-2007, 01:28 PM
This thread's failing already.

Talk about failing, that's not even a movie.

PeterSparker
11-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Eyes Wide Shut

it's a masterpiece dammit!

Doc Randy
11-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Streets of Fire

Genius J
11-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Eyes Wide Shut

What about it is masterful??

The Human Target
11-29-2007, 01:34 PM
The Virgin Suicides

I like that movie, I made a thread that one time.

For me and my friends, its Equilibrium. They hate it (because they love the Matrix) and I love it (because its cool and I hate the Matrix.)

AAlgar
11-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Star Wars.

All of them.

LenNWallace
11-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Pootie Tang.

Wanna fight about it?

chazbot
11-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Star Wars.

All of them.

Even this one?

http://starwars.ugo.com/images/dvds/starwars_ewokadventures/1.jpg

Icaruss
11-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Episode I. Which I think is ten times better than Episode II, which was an extremely bad movie.

Bill!
The Fountain
Silent Hill

I adore both of these movies, one being my favorite horror movie ever, and the other being one of my favorite movies in general. I think both got a bad rap from reviewers who didn't really know what was going on. Both are movies that you must actively engage in, Silent Hill deceptively so, rather than just sit and watch.

LenNWallace
The Fountain
Silent Hill

I adore both of these movies, one being my favorite horror movie ever, and the other being one of my favorite movies in general. I think both got a bad rap from reviewers who didn't really know what was going on. Both are movies that you must actively engage in, Silent Hill deceptively so, rather than just sit and watch.

Did people hate The Fountain? I loved it.

NickT
11-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Armageddon
Daredevil
Top Gun

AAlgar
11-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Pootie Tang.

Wanna fight about it?

Dude, I love that movie.

Brian Defferding
11-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Eyes Wide Shut

Yes, I agree! I remember hearing so many people gripe about it, but I walked out of the theatre wowed and it reaffirmed Kubrick's genius with me.

Bill!
11-29-2007, 01:41 PM

From the reviews and based on people I've spoken to in person and online, that was the impression I got. I know my fiancee and dad both loved it though.

WilliamRichard1985
Troy
Suicide Kings
Heat

Movie I hate that everyone loves...Scarface

Brian Defferding
Oh yes - Land of the Dead. I will never understand why people hated this movie. It was great.

Raphael J
Jingle All the Way

Brandon191
11-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Last Action Hero.

AAlgar
More of a "movie everyone hasn't seen or is indifferent to": Oliver Stone's Nixon. It's in my top five.

Rosemary's Baby

That's as close as I could get as well, but I do know a few people who liked it.

Other than that, maybe "The Beach."

Rosemary's Baby
11-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Troy
Suicide Kings
Heat

Movie I hate that everyone loves...Scarface

Heat? I'm pretty sure that doesn't qualify.

PhilipClark
11-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Daredevil.

JMP
11-29-2007, 01:48 PM
Ang Lee's Hulk, minus a lot at the end with Bruce and his dad.

sleep
11-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Spice World

AAlgar
11-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Spice World

It really never gets less funny.

GrimmBen
11-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Soldier

PeterSparker
11-29-2007, 01:53 PM
What about it is masterful??

Everything (aside from Cruise's performance :) )

But I believe it's one of the finest examinations of human sexuality, and marriage ever produced in any artform. You have to get past the surface, almost everything and everyone looks perfect, "idealized" if you will. But real life is complicated, and messy, and he show's us that in a brutal fashion at the same time. People have very strong, overpowering desires, that they sometimes are or aren't willing to act on. Also, we don't always tell ourselves, or one another, the truth. Hearing it can sometimes be the hardest, most devestating thing a human has to deal with, and that clash is something almost every human being can relate to.

His subject matter is made clear by the password needed to get into the exclusive party/orgy: fidelio. Its a movie about abstracts in the human experience, particularly fidelity. But also about wealth and desire. About the cost of having anything you want. You may dress it up, and cover it up in the most elaborate and beautiful artiface. But we all still want the same things, and are driven to distration as humans by those contradictory needs. Stability vs Desire. I can just say my first reaction to seeing it in a theater was disappointment and being a bit underwhelmed, but knowing it was Kubrick, and even moreso, knowing how long he had deisred to do this movie, and then how long he took making it, made me want to re-examine what he was really after. What was this about to him? With each repeated viewing, to me anyway, the layers have revealed themselves. I think it's the most honest film he ever made, and techincally is Kubrick all the way to boot.

glk
11-29-2007, 01:55 PM
The Matrix sequels, A.I., and Eyes Wide Shut are all masterpieces. I also love Daredevil.

glk
11-29-2007, 01:55 PM

But I believe it's one of the finest examinations of human sexuality, and marriage ever produced in any artform. You have to get past the surface, almost everything and everyone looks perfect, "idealized" if you will. But real life is complicated, and messy, as he show's us that in a brutal fashion at the same time. People have very strong desires, that they sometimes are or aren't willing to act on. Also, we don't always tell ourselves, or one another, the truth. Hearing it can sometimes be the hardest thing a human has to deal with, and that clash is something almost every human being can relate to.

His subject matter is made clear by the password needed to get into the exclusive party/orgy: fidelio. Its a movie about abstracts in the human experience, particularly fidelity. But also about wealth and desire. About the cost of having anything you want. You may dress it up, and cover it up in the most elaborate and beautiful artiface. But we all still want the same things, and are driven to distration as humans by those contradictory needs. Stability vs Desire. I can just say my first reaction to seeing it in a theater was disappointment and being a bit underwhelmed, but knowing it was Kubrick, and even moreso, knowing how long he had deisred to do this movie, and then how long he took making it, made me want to re-examine what he was really after. What was this about to him? With each repeated viewing, to me anyway, the layers have revealed themselves. I think it's the most honest film he ever made, and techinacally is Kubrick all the way.

I agree. But I loved Tom's performance in it too. I haven't seen a performance of his I didn't like (even if the movie was shit, which this wasn't).

Bill!
11-29-2007, 01:56 PM
The Matrix sequels, A.I., and Eyes Wide Shut are all masterpieces. I also love Daredevil.

I adore Matrix Revolutions and AI. I really liked the Daredevil DC.

glk
11-29-2007, 01:57 PM

But I believe it's one of the finest examinations of human sexuality, and marriage ever produced in any artform. You have to get past the surface, almost everything and everyone looks perfect, "idealized" if you will. But real life is complicated, and messy, as he show's us that in a brutal fashion at the same time. People have very strong desires, that they sometimes are or aren't willing to act on. Also, we don't always tell ourselves, or one another, the truth. Hearing it can sometimes be the hardest thing a human has to deal with, and that clash is something almost every human being can relate to.

His subject matter is made clear by the password needed to get into the exclusive party/orgy: fidelio. Its a movie about abstracts in the human experience, particularly fidelity. But also about wealth and desire. About the cost of having anything you want. You may dress it up, and cover it up in the most elaborate and beautiful artiface. But we all still want the same things, and are driven to distration as humans by those contradictory needs. Stability vs Desire. I can just say my first reaction to seeing it in a theater was disappointment and being a bit underwhelmed, but knowing it was Kubrick, and even moreso, knowing how long he had deisred to do this movie, and then how long he took making it, made me want to re-examine what he was really after. What was this about to him? With each repeated viewing, to me anyway, the layers have revealed themselves. I think it's the most honest film he ever made, and techincally is Kubrick all the way to boot.

Every person that Cruise encounters through the journey moves him in some sexual way, and is an example of sexuality: the girl grieving, the store owner with the teenage daughter, the gay-bashers on the street, etc.

PSkow
11-29-2007, 02:00 PM

I loved A.I.

I'm going out to buy it right now, just because you brought it up!

Sehestedt
11-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Ang Lee's HULK. Was it the Hulk I would have made? No. And as oblique and confusing as the ending was, I have to admit I admire what Lee was shooting for.

The Phantom Menace. Was it the Episode I that I wanted to see? No. But I can't help it. Liam Neeson wins me over in every scene.

A.I. I wouldn't go so far as to say I loved it. But I liked it more than most people.

Signs. Sure, much of the plot made no sense. But as a mood piece, I adored this movie. Great scare flick in the tradition of the old '50s SF movies.

Conan the Barbarian. 'Nuff said!

Hawk the Slayer. The backdrop to nearly every D&D game I played as a kid.

PeterSparker
11-29-2007, 02:04 PM
I agree. But I loved Tom's performance in it too. I haven't seen a performance of his I didn't like (even if the movie was shit, which this wasn't).
No, he's good in some aspects in it (and yeah I usually like everything he does too), plus he's supposed to be a bit removed from his emotions, and wooden, so he achieves that. But in the bedroom scene where his wife tells him how she was ready to leave him just for one fuck with the military guy she saw only briefly, it's just clear Nicole Kidman is a better actor than he is in that interchange and subject matter, which always takes me out of the movie a little bit. But no, ultimately he's ok, and gives pretty close to the performance I'm sure Kubrick envisioned.

glk
11-29-2007, 02:06 PM
I loved A.I.

I'm going out to buy it right now, just because you brought it up!

The good thing about loving movies most people hate is that they are CHEAP. I picked-up the A.I. double-disc set brand new for $6.

AAlgar
11-29-2007, 02:07 PM
The good thing about loving movies most people hate is that they are CHEAP. I picked-up the A.I. double-disc set brand new for $6.

That reminds me: any of you Hudson Hawk fans pick up the special edition DVD?

I like it and all... but not quite THAT much.

TIP
11-29-2007, 02:07 PM

Wait...a majority of people hate Conan the Barbarian?

T

glk
11-29-2007, 02:08 PM

T

Isn't it Conan the Destroyer everyone hates?

TIP
11-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Isn't it Conan the Destroyer everyone hates?

Oof.

That was a painful one.

T

TIP

There's a Special Edition?

Fuck, I'll buy that.

T
:cool:

AAlgar
Oof.

That was a painful one.

T

Pees doan die?

TIP
11-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Pees doan die?

Well, other than the appearance of Mister Squiggles. That encounter alone saves the film for me.

T
(Peez doan die Conan!)

AAlgar
11-29-2007, 02:12 PM
There's a Special Edition?

Fuck, I'll buy that.

T
:cool:

Special edition, or bonus edition or something, yeah. 2 discs, with bonus features that weren't in the first DVD.

I wouldn't mind seeing the deleted scenes (apparently he had a monkey sidekick that got edited out), but otherwise... I have the DVD, I don't need this one.

Apparently there's a semi-recent (2005 or 06) interview with Bruce Willis and he's still pretty happy with it. I give him major points for not pretending to hate it now.

glk
11-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Oof.

That was a painful one.

T

Let's take a film that (at the time) is a hard R because of the sexuality and violence, and make it kid friendly!

Ryan Elliott
11-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I'll third or whatever Last Action Hero. I love that movie.

And...uhh...:scared:

Batman Forever. :Oops:

glk
11-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I'll third or whatever Last Action Hero. I love that movie.

And...uhh...:scared:

Batman Forever. :Oops:

Batman Forever isn't bad. Bab Kane said Val Kilmer made the best Batman if I remember correctly.

TIP
11-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Special edition, or bonus edition or something, yeah. 2 discs, with bonus features that weren't in the first DVD.

I wouldn't mind seeing the deleted scenes (apparently he had a monkey sidekick that got edited out), but otherwise... I have the DVD, I don't need this one.

Apparently there's a semi-recent (2005 or 06) interview with Bruce Willis and he's still pretty happy with it. I give him major points for not pretending to hate it now.

Monkey Sidekick.

*orders now*

T

Bald Steve
11-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Embarassing, but here they are:

The Fast and the Furious

and

wait for it...

3000 Mile to Graceland

I don't know what it is, but whenever I stumble across either one on cable I can't help but settle in and see it through.

I love these movies.

TIP
11-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Let's take a film that (at the time) is a hard R because of the sexuality and violence, and make it kid friendly!

:lol:

T
(true story: I convinced my mother to take me to the first showing of Conan the Barbarian. She did not know anything about it...other than the fact that I liked the Howard novels. I was 12. The looks on her face and the gasps of horror at the content were awesome. BUT she stayed for the whole thing)

Sir Erudite Gav
11-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Batman Forever isn't bad. Bab Kane said Val Kilmer made the best Batman if I remember correctly.

It's a good movie, aside from mainly Tommy Lee Jones. Plus, I think Kane said that about every Batman.

AAlgar
11-29-2007, 02:25 PM
It's a good movie, aside from mainly Tommy Lee Jones. Plus, I think Kane said that about every Batman.

Thing is... I bet TLJ could have played a well-written Two Face (ie, one that wasn't referred to as "Harvey Two-Face").

David Price
11-29-2007, 02:26 PM

I didn't know there was a special edition available. It's one of the first DVDs I bought my wife (when we first started dating). She loves that movie.

David Price
11-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Thing is... I bet TLJ could have played a well-written Two Face (ie, one that wasn't referred to as "Harvey Two-Face").
I'd still like to know how the acid thrown at Harvey not only scarred one side of his face, but also turned him white.

TIP

It's a damn shame that Billy Dee Williams wasn't allowed to become Two-Face in this film (since he was Harvey Dent in the first Tim Burton Batman).

T

AAlgar
I didn't know there was a special edition available. It's one of the first DVDs I bought my wife (when we first started dating). She loves that movie.

Good friend of mine watched it and reported to me earlier in the week. It sounds like there's a half-decent assortment of extras on there.

sleep
11-29-2007, 02:28 PM
It really never gets less funny.
Chalk that one up to Mark McKinney, Roger Moore, and Richard E. Grant. ;)

The monkey sidekick is discussed on the (probably not worth it) director's commentary on the first edition DVD. Keep an eye on James Coburn's hat in the last scene--that's also where you'll want to activate the commentary track for an explanation.

AAlgar
11-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Chalk that one up to Mark McKinney, Roger Moore, and Richard E. Grant. ;)

The monkey sidekick is discussed on the (probably not worth it) director's commentary on the first edition DVD. Keep an eye on James Coburn's hat in the last scene--that's also where you'll want to activate the commentary track for an explanation.

I actually listened to that commentary. There was a lot of awkward pauses and "they love this in Europe."

sleep
11-29-2007, 02:30 PM
I actually listened to that commentary. There was a lot of awkward pauses and "they love this in Europe."

Yeah. It was the second DVD I purchased, and I made sure to get my money's worth. :?

Edit: There's also the chance the monkey's not discussed in the commentary, but in a separate feature--but the explanation (if not the footage) is on there.

smallchange
11-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Embarassing,

wait for it...

3000 Mile to Graceland

I don't know what it is, but whenever I stumble across either one on cable I can't help but settle in and see it through.

I love that movie, forgot about just watching it on cable, I actulaly own it. It's just a fun film, doesn't take itself to seriously.

On a related note, I honestly really really like Waterworld.

Also another movie I'm a big fan of that most make fun of. . .

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/Robot_jox.jpg

Albert
11-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Josie and the Pussycats. Bendis loved it too but then redacted it. :( Chazbot loves it! We rule!

Kman00001
11-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Saw.

AAlgar
11-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah. It was the second DVD I purchased, and I made sure to get my money's worth. :?

Edit: There's also the chance the monkey's not discussed in the commentary, but in a separate feature--but the explanation (if not the footage) is on there.

I have confirmation that the footage is in this new edition.

David Price
11-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Armageddon. I still choke up when Chick tells his ex-wife "I got something coming up. It's something kinda big. You just might be proud of me. Would you do me a favor? Would you just give him this. You don't have to tell him who it's from just..."

I can't say I've heard a lot of people bitch about it, but I enjoyed U.S. Marshals a lot. Even with Wesley in it.

Not sure if I'd use the word 'love', but for the most part, the Blade movies.

sleep
11-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Josie and the Pussycats. Bendis loved it too but then redacted it. :( Chazbot loves it! We rule!

I watched it on Bendis's recommendation. It had two great parts (Aries Spears pretending to be Carson Daly, and Eugene Levy as himself) and the rest was... no comment.

But I love the soundtrack.

Albert
11-29-2007, 02:38 PM
I watched it on Bendis's recommendation. It had two great parts (Aries Spears pretending to be Carson Daly, and Eugene Levy as himself) and the rest was... no comment.

But I love the soundtrack.

The soundtrack :rock:!!

It took six full hours! And five longs days! For all your lies to come undone! Those three small words! Came way too late! And you can't see that I'm the one!

Lemonade Lady
11-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Girl, Interrupted. Only saw it once or twice but I enjoyed it well enough. Don't know anyone else who liked it.

PimpSlapStick!
11-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Pootie Tang

It's my great shame.

Albert
11-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Pootie Tang

It's my great shame.

That's a good movie!

glk
Armageddon. I still choke up when Chick tells his ex-wife "I got something coming up. It's something kinda big. You just might be proud of me. Would you do me a favor? Would you just give him this. You don't have to tell him who it's from just..."

I can't say I've heard a lot of people bitch about it, but I enjoyed U.S. Marshals a lot. Even with Wesley in it.

Not sure if I'd use the word 'love', but for the most part, the Blade movies.

Oh man, U.S. Marshals! Where they introduce the kick-ass hero of the story in a... wait for it... Chicken suit!!! Worst character introduction since the Mariner drank his own pee in Waterworld.

PeterSparker
Embarassing, but here they are:

The Fast and the Furious

I love these movies.

Aw man, I love TF&TF too! And I especially love TF&TF:Tokyo Drift! --and no, not because almost every scene has insanely sexy, scantily clad Asian girls either. :mistrust:

PimpSlapStick!
11-29-2007, 02:52 PM
That's a good movie!

Try telling that to my friends.

sleep
11-29-2007, 02:53 PM
The soundtrack :rock:!!

It took six full hours! And five longs days! For all your lies to come undone! Those three small words! Came way too late! And you can't see that I'm the one!
:heart:

Uther
11-29-2007, 02:54 PM
This thread needs a consensus on how a movie is judged to have everyone hate it. Because I would call half the movies listed in here contentious movies with some people loving and some people hating them rather hated ones.

Like --

The Fountain
Silent Hill

Land of the Dead

Saw
For all of those, I have met substantially more people that love those movies than hate them.

My list-
Ones I wish to second --

The Virgin Suicides
It was nice little look at childhood turning to adolescence - full of nice quirked micor-emotion.

Eyes Wide Shut
I agree with everything else in this thread said about this movie. Even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff. Not really that hated though.

Equilibrium
Softbaked writing and too too awesome action saved by lots of good acting.

Hulk
I don't understand why people don't like this film. It's well written, well acted and well directed. It is an intelligent exploration of all the shades of emotion and what they do to us when we repress them and what they do to us when we express them. Sure, it's not a real big proper no plot, no brains, all fun lets smash this shit comic film but if you want that go watch every other comic book movie ever made. Also, split screen gets me hot.

Josie and the Pussycats
Nice little commentary on capitalism, music and friendship which is constantly subverting itself. Very Underrated

There's a great write up on that commentary here (http://www.avclub.com/content/node/23530) in the Onion's AV Club.

RickLM
11-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Transformers

PimpSlapStick!
11-29-2007, 03:01 PM
I didn't fully enjoy Transformers, but it was a great action movie.

RickLM
11-29-2007, 03:03 PM
I didn't fully enjoy Transformers, but it was a great action movie.

The first weekend it came out, most of the board treated it like the worst film of the year. I didn't get the hate at all.

Bald Steve
11-29-2007, 03:06 PM
The first weekend it came out, most of the board treated it like the worst film of the year. I didn't get the hate at all.

I just saw it again on a plane last week and loved it again. If there was a more badass moment this year in cinema than Optimus Prime stabbing that Decepticon (forget his name) through the face during the freeway fight, I missed it.

PimpSlapStick!
11-29-2007, 03:08 PM

Well it was lacking a true narrative and the human characters got too much face time for my tastes let alone, yet again the black dude (Autobot) dies. Other than that the FX and action blew me away!

I'll say this for Mike Bay the fucker can direct an action scene so I'm not too angry about Prime having flames or Alien aircraft thingamajig Megatron.

glk
11-29-2007, 03:13 PM

Doesn't that happen just about any time a big movie comes out around here? :)

glk
11-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Well it was lacking a true narrative and the human characters got too much face time for my tastes let alone, yet again the black dude (Autobot) dies. Other than that the FX and action blew me away!

I'll say this for Mike Bay the fucker can direct an action scene so I'm not too angry about Prime having flames or Alien aircraft thingamajig Megatron.

Speaking of Bay, I did like The Island. It went on way too long like all of Bay's movies but I thought there was an interesting concept and some exciting action in it (although I didn't like them slipping through the falling letter).

ZombieSpeedball
11-29-2007, 03:21 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/65/Star_Kid.jpg/200px-Star_Kid.jpg

:Oops:

adam_warlock_2099
11-29-2007, 03:29 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPO/503297~Enemy-Mine-Posters.jpg

David Price
11-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Oh man, U.S. Marshals! Where they introduce the kick-ass hero of the story in a... wait for it... Chicken suit!!! Worst character introduction since the Mariner drank his own pee in Waterworld.
Is it still the introduction of a character if this is more or less a sequel?

I do get what you're saying, but this wasn't really our first impression of the 'great Sam Gerard'.

Uther
11-29-2007, 03:32 PM

Hmm, I think some of the hate stems from it being a perfectly good action movie ruined by weird racism and bias and misogyny and crap like that.
Also, Micheal Bay is the sperm of the devil.

David Price
11-29-2007, 03:32 PM
People hate Enemy Mine?

PimpSlapStick!
11-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Enemy Mine was pretty good, if you block out the thought of Louis Gosset Jr giving birth.

Zamees!!!! Grwaaahh!!

Uther
11-29-2007, 03:34 PM
yet again the black dude (Autobot) dies.

And every other non-white character is a coward, an idiot or both.

PimpSlapStick!
11-29-2007, 03:39 PM
At least they live.

d.j.
11-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Transformers was a hoot... I had a genuinely good time watching it.

Has anyone here seen A Life Less Ordinary? I really, really like that movie, but apparently it's deemed a "turd" in most civilized circles.

PimpSlapStick!
11-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Plus not a one of those characters was protrayed as a coward, idiot yes, coward no.

PimpSlapStick!
11-29-2007, 03:41 PM
A Life Less Ordinary

Never heard of it

Adrian B AWESOME
11-29-2007, 03:48 PM
The Meteor Man starring Robert Townsend.

Hell, I bought it on DVD the day it came out...AND I have the Marvel comic miniseries.

PimpSlapStick!
11-29-2007, 03:51 PM
The Meteor Man starring Robert Townsend.

Hell, I bought it on DVD the day it came out...AND I have the Marvel comic miniseries.

Oh god no!

Another secret shame.

Lemonade Lady
11-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Bicentennial Man.

PimpSlapStick!
11-29-2007, 04:00 PM
and another!

MAK15
11-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Son of Godzilla
Godzilla vs.Megalon
Godzilla's Revenge

Uther
11-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Has anyone here seen A Life Less Ordinary? I really, really like that movie, but apparently it's deemed a "turd" in most civilized circles.

I enjoyed it. But it is easily Danny Boyle's second weakest film.

Plus not a one of those characters was protrayed as a coward, idiot yes, coward no.

Except for the cousin who runs through the window away from the police.
And the army guy who freaks out and insists white hero boy doesn't slide under the bad guy because she's so scared he doesn't want them to win.
The two older black men who scream like girls when Megatron turns up.
The list goes on man...

glk
11-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Except for the cousin who runs through the window away from the police.
And the army guy who freaks out and insists white hero boy doesn't slide under the bad guy because she's so scared he doesn't want them to win.
The two older black men who scream like girls when Megatron turns up.
The list goes on man...

I totally see what you're saying, but if it's so racist why did those actors like Anthony Anderson and Bernie Mac sign-on to do it? They read the script. I'm not defending the film or its portrayals, just wondering.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Land of the Dead
The Cable Guy
Batman: The Movie (it's HILARIOUS)
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
Lady in the Water

AAlgar
11-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Land of the Dead
The Cable Guy
Lady in the Water

Anyone who doesn't love these two is an idiot.

glk
11-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Land of the Dead
The Cable Guy
Lady in the Water

I like the Cable Guy. I think it was ahead of its time in some ways (which sounds very wrong as I write that).

Uther
11-29-2007, 04:15 PM
I totally see what you're saying, but if it's so racist why did those actors like Anthony Anderson and Bernie Mac sign-on to do it? They read the script. I'm not defending the film or its portrayals, just wondering.

Money?

Seriously though, I'm not saying it's out and out racism, at least not egregiously so. It's just an odd case of racism by omission. Like the way you wouldn't call Spike Lee a racist (mainly because he's so totally not) but there is that odd, annoying trend for everyone of his leading white characters to be either out and out or have a massive fatal flaw in their personality.

Kman00001
11-29-2007, 04:16 PM

Agreed.

Station.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-29-2007, 04:16 PM

Agreed. While Bogus may not be as masterful as Excellent, it has Death, who steals nearly every scene he's in. And playing magnetic football game? Priceless.

There are people out there who seriously don't get that Batman: The Movie is supposed to be corny/campy and get pissy about it. It's like, fucking duh you moron, that's the point. Sigh.

Uther
11-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Land of the Dead
The Cable Guy
Yep, yep, yep.
All gold.

Lady in the Water
What?!
Why?!

glk
11-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Money?

Seriously though, I'm not saying it's out and out racism, at least not egregiously so. It's just an odd case of racism by omission. Like the way you wouldn't call Spike Lee a racist (mainly because he's so totally not) but there is that odd, annoying trend for everyone of his leading white characters to be either out and out or have a massive fatal flaw in their personality.

Right, right. It didn't bother when I saw it (I was caught up in seeing live action Transformers!!!) but I think if I see it again it'll stick out for me and ruin it, whether it's intentional or not because there's been so much talk about it.

Uther
11-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Right, right. It didn't bother when I saw it (I was caught up in seeing live action Transformers!!!) but I think if I see it again it'll stick out for me and ruin it, whether it's intentional or not because there's been so much talk about it.
Yeah, I just couldn't seem to not notice it. It really set my teeth on edge.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Saw-Saw IV
Freddy vs. Jason

Adrian B AWESOME
11-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Yep, yep, yep.
All gold.

What?!
Why?!

If you have to ask why, then you just missed the point of the film. A beautiful storybook for children, horrifying as most children's stories actually are, and truly beautiful at the end. Giamatti sells the movie and makes it amazing. Bryce Howard is gorgeous and a great actress.

Sure, after everyone loved Shyamalan once he hit his economic height (Signs), and now, it's blase to do anything but hate on the man. But The Village and Lady in the Water stand up with any of his films, and are both better than Signs by far. The Village is the best romance film I'd seen since I can't remember when.

Uther
11-29-2007, 04:33 PM
If you have to ask why, then you just missed the point of the film. A beautiful storybook for children, horrifying as most children's stories actually are, and truly beautiful at the end. Giamatti sells the movie and makes it amazing. Bryce Howard is gorgeous and a great actress.

Sure, after everyone loved Shyamalan once he hit his economic height (Signs), and now, it's blase to do anything but hate on the man. But The Village and Lady in the Water stand up with any of his films, and are both better than Signs by far. The Village is the best romance film I'd seen since I can't remember when.

I was always an Unbreakable fan myself.

I'm not going to disagree that Giamatti and Howard aren't amazing but Lady, to me, was a lazy, annoying failed exploration of storytelling that seemed to keep forgetting what point it was trying to make. And making himself the hero and having an evil critic gruesomely murdered? Subtle man, real subtle.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Repo Man (well, I don't think everyone hates it, they just really don't know it or care)
The Apostle (another case of people just not knowing about it. The film is a triumph)
What's Up Tiger Lily (again, same case)

Adrian B AWESOME
11-29-2007, 04:38 PM
I was always an Unbreakable fan myself.

I'm not going to disagree that Giamatti and Howard aren't amazing but Lady, to me, was a lazy, annoying failed exploration of storytelling that seemed to keep forgetting what point it was trying to make. And making himself the hero and having an evil critic gruesomely murdered? Subtle man, real subtle.

There have only been two decent critics ever: Anton Ego and Jay Sherman. And both of them are animated.

d.j.
11-29-2007, 04:42 PM
A Life Less Ordinary

Never heard of it

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPO/503321~A-Life-Less-Ordinary-Posters.jpg

Here's the imdb page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119535/

Cameron Diaz & Ewan McGregor in Danny Boyle's follow-up to Trainspotting.

Fake Pat
11-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Super Mario Bros.

I guess maybe I don't LOVE it, but I really do like it quite a bit.

Uther
11-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Super Mario Bros.

I guess maybe I don't LOVE it, but I really do like it quite a bit.

I remember really liking it as a kid, and now I can't find a copy of it for love nor money so I can't check on whether to trust my young self.

Fake Pat
11-29-2007, 04:52 PM
I remember really liking it as a kid, and now I can't find a copy of it for love nor money so I can't check on whether to trust my young self.

Saw it somewhere on TV not too long ago. I think it holds up.

It's a dumb movie, no doubt. But it's still pretty fun.

Andrew j
11-29-2007, 05:01 PM
wyatt earp

xanderharris
11-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Masters of the Universe

Andrew j
11-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Transformers: Saw it in a black neighborhood theatre and they were laughing harder than I was. Not racist, lighten up.

Armageddon: the quote of the guy talking to his exwife is my favorite moment too.

Starship Troopers

Uther
11-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Transformers: Saw it in a black neighborhood theatre and they were laughing harder than I was. Not racist, lighten up.

Just because people don't see it doesn't mean it's not there, man.

NeverWanderer
11-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Ang Lee's HULK. Was it the Hulk I would have made? No. And as oblique and confusing as the ending was, I have to admit I admire what Lee was shooting for.

The Phantom Menace. Was it the Episode I that I wanted to see? No. But I can't help it. Liam Neeson wins me over in every scene.

A.I. I wouldn't go so far as to say I loved it. But I liked it more than most people.

Signs. Sure, much of the plot made no sense. But as a mood piece, I adored this movie. Great scare flick in the tradition of the old '50s SF movies.

Hawk the Slayer. The backdrop to nearly every D&D game I played as a kid.

With the exception of Hawk Slayer, which I've never seen (a D&D-type movie I've never seen???), I agree with every flick you just listed.

But... people hated Conan??

joeAR
11-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Armagedon
Hudson Hawk
Daredevil Directors Cut
The Hulk
Signs
The Village
Lady In The Water
The Transporter
Freddy vs Jason
SAW
Hostel/Hostel 2
Wrong Turn
Jersey Girl

Andrew j
11-29-2007, 05:33 PM
signs

the village (still have problems with the ending but the autumness of the movie looks so good)

the last boyscout (got a lot of shit for loving this growing up)

Titanic

joeAR
11-29-2007, 05:34 PM
signs

the village (still have problems with the ending but the autumness of the movie looks so good)

Titanic

I still haven't seen the Last Boyscout.

adam_warlock_2099
11-29-2007, 05:35 PM
People hate Enemy Mine?

I dunno to be honest, I don't have a lot of science-fiction and comic book friends, so a lot of my perceptions of what people hate in said genres might be off.

Andrew j
11-29-2007, 05:37 PM
I still haven't seen the Last Boyscout.

so many great lines

It's like Lethal Weapon except they're both assholes.

adam_warlock_2099
11-29-2007, 05:38 PM
signs

Titanic

I don't know why people hate on Signs. Although I went to seeing with a totally different perception as to what it was going to be, I was still very pleased with the movie. Other than the ending. I hated the ending.

Andrew j
11-29-2007, 05:47 PM
I don't know why people hate on Signs. Although I went to seeing with a totally different perception as to what it was going to be, I was still very pleased with the movie. Other than the ending. I hated the ending.

I went in not expecting anything and I got a movie I enjoyed. Plus it's the only Shamalan movie that has some good humor. I liked the kids and I have a brother just like Joaquin Phoenix in the movie which helped me identify with Gibson.

adam_warlock_2099
11-29-2007, 05:50 PM
I went in not expecting anything and I got a movie I enjoyed. Plus it's the only Shamalan movie that has some good humor. I liked the kids and I have a brother just like Joaquin Phoenix in the movie which helped me identify with Gibson.

That's the whole reason that I hated the ending. Aliens would not, and if that were a reality have nothing to do with restoring my faith. I guess I didn't like the ending because if I were in Gibson's shoes, my son surviving would do nothing for me. God did not have a hand in that. However the allowing of this boy to suffer from such extreme athsma, he did.

Maybe I am just bitter for my son.

xanderharris
11-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Idle Hands

Mike McNeely
11-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Superman Returns

I love this movie so much that it actually hurts me when I see it get bashed. :(

joeAR
11-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Idle Hands

I love every second of this movie.

adam_warlock_2099
11-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Superman Returns

I love this movie so much that it actually hurts me when I see it get bashed. :(

I have yet to see this movie.

Andrew j
11-29-2007, 05:56 PM
That's the whole reason that I hated the ending. Aliens would not, and if that were a reality have nothing to do with restoring my faith. I guess I didn't like the ending because if I were in Gibson's shoes, my son surviving would do nothing for me. God did not have a hand in that. However the allowing of this boy to suffer from such extreme athsma, he did.

Maybe I am just bitter for my son.

It worked for me but I can see how it didn't work for you.

Andrew j
11-29-2007, 05:57 PM

Me too. So stupid. So funny. Commentary's not bad either, it's Seth Green goofing around with the director.

xanderharris
11-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Superman Returns

you and me both pal

xanderharris
11-29-2007, 06:00 PM

:) :rock:

adam_warlock_2099
11-29-2007, 06:00 PM
It worked for me but I can see how it didn't work for you.

Having a son born 14 weeks premature at 2 pounds, and having to fight for his life in the hospital before coming home for the same amount of time, can do that to a person.

That and I was bitter even before that.

Either that or I am jealous that I haven't found my faith again.

Andrew j
11-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Having a son born 14 weeks premature at 2 pounds, and having to fight for his life in the hospital before coming home for the same amount of time, can do that to a person.

That and I was bitter even before that.

Either that or I am jealous that I haven't found my faith again.

I get that.

WinterRose
11-29-2007, 06:15 PM
http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/3/A70-1781

David Price
11-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Holy crap! I LOVE Disorganized Crime! Haven't seen it in years. Just added it to my Netflix queue. Now, do I bump Shrek The Third for it? I wonder if my wife has ever seen it.

Also: Put me down for The Last Boyscout. Love it.

Albert
11-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Superman Returns

I wouldn't say EVERYONE else hates it. It got fairly well-reviewed and some of my friends consider it one of the best comic book movies ever.

ChuckMcButcalf
11-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Woody Allen's last flick, "Scoop". It had its charms dammit!!! It may make me an Allen appologist but I liked it. And no, Scarlett Johansen rocking a one piece swimsuit isn't the reason I love it.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Woody Allen's last flick, "Scoop". It had its charms dammit!!! It may make me an Allen appologist but I liked it. And no, Scarlett Johansen rocking a one piece swimsuit isn't the reason I love it.

Woody Allen is awesome.

Uther
11-29-2007, 07:38 PM

Most people seem to think that film is alright, not great, but okay. Allen seems to be on an upswing after the homerun that was Match Point.

simon trent
11-29-2007, 08:52 PM
vanilla sky.

acting isn't the best, but i just love everything that leads to the end and it just makes me feel sad. i think the sigur ros touch helps.

Blastbeat Science
11-30-2007, 02:13 AM

Armageddon: the quote of the guy talking to his exwife is my favorite moment too.

Starship Troopers

this makes sense because after i saw transformers i told my friends how bad it was and how it was much less an action movie and much more in the same league as Soul Plane

Ashwin Pande
11-30-2007, 03:30 AM
wait... people hate starship troopers???

Goddamn it people!! They acted shitty on purpose!! On purpose!!

The bugs were the stars of the movie!! The bugs!!

Bah!

Andrew j
11-30-2007, 04:05 AM
wait... people hate starship troopers???

Goddamn it people!! They acted shitty on purpose!! On purpose!!

The bugs were the stars of the movie!! The bugs!!

Bah!

i think it's because people were expecting the book and not a comedy.

Ashwin Pande
11-30-2007, 04:08 AM
i think it's because people were expecting the book and not a comedy.

Fair enough. Though the movie was great for what it was.

yeamon
11-30-2007, 05:31 AM
Miami Blues.

This film has since gained a little bit of legs with a small cult following, thanks in large part to Alec Baldwin growing (literally) into an effective character actor. But, back when Alec was still pegged as a leading man, it was universally panned and was a box office failure. I own it, watch it at least once a year, and still love it. The movie was an accurate adaptation of Charles Willeford's pulp novels (the Hoke Mosely series, also worth your time if'n you can find them in print), during a time when Hollywood couldn't get Elmore Leonard right, and before Tarantino put a spotlight on this kind of material. A wonderful scene of Baldwin composing a haiku while committing a B & E on a neighbor's condominium is alone worth the $5 you will pay for a brand spankin' new copy of this DVD.

Sackhead
11-30-2007, 05:37 AM
First Blood: Part 2.

Not that I love it, but it does seem to satiate my movie bloodlust.

Rafiennes
11-30-2007, 05:52 AM
http://www.impawards.com/1987/posters/three_o_clock_high.jpg

TIP
11-30-2007, 06:32 AM
Repo Man (well, I don't think everyone hates it, they just really don't know it or care)
What's Up Tiger Lily (again, same case)

:rock:

TIP
11-30-2007, 06:33 AM

Another good 'un.

T

TIP
11-30-2007, 06:34 AM
Superman Returns

:thumb:

joespam
11-30-2007, 06:59 AM

Who hates this movie? Nobody even remembers it, but I don't think those who do think it sucks.

joespam
11-30-2007, 07:02 AM
Idle HandsIdle Hands is supremely awesome. Great horror/comedy.

Bryan H
11-30-2007, 07:03 AM
I still like Meet Joe Black.

But that might be cause I use to have a major thing for Claire Forlani.

David Price
11-30-2007, 07:04 AM
But that might be cause I use to have a major thing for Claire Forlani.
That is a damn fine reason.

Changeling
11-30-2007, 07:16 AM
waterworld
the postman
and any movie where people switch bodies (vice versa, freaky friday, like father like son)

Rosemary's Baby
11-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Transformers was a hoot... I had a genuinely good time watching it.

I have nothing against A Life Less Ordinary.

Tyeron
11-30-2007, 07:35 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51T193JWVWL._SS500_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511SJQZGNSL._SS500_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51c%2BhEEYbnL._SS500_.jpg

Sehestedt
11-30-2007, 07:49 AM

T

A majority of critics, yes, though I guess you're right. The movie does have a healthy fanbase. But viewers and critics united in their hatred of Conan the Destroyer, and rightly so.